Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - ‘Hooked on happy pills’? How the media demonises mental health medication

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Independent

Rachel Whitehead
Sunday 17 February 2013

With reader comments

Language is very telling of attitudes - would it be the same talking about medication for high blood pressure?

Working in a busy press office for a major mental health charity Rethink Mental Illness, I often get calls from journalists asking if I can put them in touch with someone to interview about their experiences of mental illness.

Nothing unusual about that. What I have noticed about these conversations however, is the familiar phrases that so often tend to pop up. Do we have anyone who has been ‘parked’ on medication for over 10 years? A mum who is ‘hooked’ on Prozac? Take a look at almost any media coverage about antidepressants or antipsychotics and you’ll often find this kind of language creeping in. Every time new figures come out showing increases in prescriptions for these types of drugs, we get a flurry of calls from the media asking if we’re ‘concerned’ about the ‘shocking rise’ in the ‘antidepressant epidemic’.

What I find worrying, is the automatic assumption that a rise in prescriptions, or someone taking medication for a number of years, is necessarily A Bad Thing. Medication for mental illness can save lives and give people the stability they need to survive. That may be for a few months, it may be years. While no one wants to be on any kind of medication unnecessarily, for some people, it’s the best option. The language used in the media around this is very telling. There is a clear dividing line between those who simply ‘take’ medication, such as people with diabetes, and those who are ‘hooked’ on it - people with mental health problems.

Antidepressants in particular are often written about in the context of someone trying desperately to ‘give them up’ as if they’re some kind of bad habit.

More...
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...monises-mental-health-medication-8494801.html

Thank you for pointing out this article. I used to be on an anxiety forum, and I remember everyone wanting to get off the drugs they were on, and some even refusing to take anything because of an irrational fear of becoming dependent. I never understood it before.

Thank you for pointing out this article. I used to be on an anxiety forum, and I remember everyone wanting to get off the drugs they were on, and some even refusing to take anything because of an irrational fear of becoming dependent. I never understood it before.

Read that again. People with anxiety were irrationally afraid of getting hooked. ;)

But yeah. This article and more like it are necessary in order to mainstream acceptance of mental illness. Too long have people thought that mental illness shouldn't have to require medication.

Read that again. People with anxiety were irrationally afraid of getting hooked. ;)

:!
That's anxiety for you. However, do you really want to be dependent on something though? It's somewhat a legitimate concern, at least IMO.

Being dependent on medication you need is one thing.. but being dependent on Paxil, a drug that has been proven to be as effective as placebos in moderate depression and has an EXTREMELY LONG range of side effects including long term 5-HT receptor downregulation that can make depression worse over time, is something I would never do

we get a flurry of calls from the media asking if we’re ‘concerned’ about the ‘shocking rise’ in the ‘antidepressant epidemic’

Shock is accomplished by good content and good writing. You can't expect to shock your readers simply by calling something shocking.

I've been researching the Brain Zaps issue after a recent run-in with a new, uk legal serotonergic stimulant.

By far the largest contingent of Brain Zaps sufferers are those who have been prescribed SSRI's & SNRI's & have reduced or stopped their medications. Some people are suffering rebound depression, anxiety & serious Brain Zaps problems years & years after they've ceased their medications.

After suffering Brain Zaps for only a few days, I would now never, ever risk taking an anti-depressant from the SSRI/SNRI family. Not that thse drugs appear to help much, but even if they did, I'd rather be depressed than risk extended Brain Zaps upon withdrawel!

as most of them are not overly effective in most peolple, psychological addiction doesn't seem to be a factor with ssri's and similar drugs, but physical addiction can be horrible in some cases. i know people who have tried to get off ssri's for years, but could never get it through the withdrawal. combine that with the fact that they're oversubscribed and there are a lot of good reasons for bad media. still for a lot of mental conditions, they are the best medication we have (especially if you don't count the illegal ones), but that says a lot more about the sad state of psychopharcotherapy than the current antidepressants.

So I get the problems with SSRIs but just compare them to other drugs; no one is saying they're miracle substances.

How about they put out a happy pill that actually makes you happy? I nominate dextroamphetamine.

Assuming you're being serious, numbers, I couldn't agree more; I think it should be used a lot more for depression. Fortunately it is indicated for such, though sparingly.

How about they put out a happy pill that actually makes you happy? I nominate dextroamphetamine.

that would drastically increase depression in the younger half of the population. i'd be one of the first to get myself a script ;)

Id tell anyone i meet

Don't take SSRI's they will just make it worse i think, everyone varies of course.
I was clean record , unknown to police. got put on SSRI and ended up arrested by armed police lol and put in a cell.

They made me an actual lunatic, i was plotting to kill people, OD and all kinds of shit. even with a swollen/fractured hand i was still punching stuff as hard as i could real adrenaline rushes ive never had in my life, i felt like a monster.

^me too, Darksidesam. I was misdiagnosed, got put on an SSRI and went off the deep end. Got myself a strike in a state that only allows three, and am now on other drugs to keep me stabilized. I spend 7/8ths of my time depressed, since I can't find anything that reliably makes me happy without producing mania.

All this talk about keeping people away from harmful street drugs is just a big heap of propagandist shit when you consider what is legally available by prescription.

:!
That's anxiety for you. However, do you really want to be dependent on something though? It's somewhat a legitimate concern, at least IMO.

Well, let me put it this way: Would you rather be drug-free and constantly anxious and/or depressed, or "dependent" on a drug that treats your mental illness successfully? It's not really 'hooked' if they're incapable of functioning in society without psychiatric medication. That's like being afraid of getting 'hooked' on cholesterol medication. The difference with the antidepressants seems to be a social stigma against taking "drugs" to "feel better", as opposed to taking medication to treat a very real illness that happens to mainly affect the brain.

^ The problem is, many^^^ people get dependent on them and they AREN'T helping. And when SSRIs have been shown to be as effective as placebos in studies, I really don't see how ANY doctor could feel safe in prescribing them... forget about having half of a generation on them.

Maybe I'm just biased because all I hear about is people who now can't roll because their serotonin receptors are so desensitized even years after they got off the drugs and never and good studies about them, in fact, I am. I would have been put on an SSRI though, several times. I don't need it NOW though, I have largely overcome my manic-depressive tendencies and though I still live with them, I feel better about myself with learning how to deal with it the natural way. If I had been put on drugs like some authority figures in my life had wanted, I would have likely not made those positive changes in my life and instead just hoped the pill fixed my problems.

That's all just Paxil and such though, there is an class of anti-psychotics that are VERY useful for people who need them, I will never try and deny that. Even SSRIs can be extremely helpful to some.. but I think we can all agree that there are WAY too many people prescribed medications they don't need.