U.S. v. Kalash - Drug Law Constitutionality and Other Unconventional Defenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny1 said:
^ This assumes the judge allows his arguments to reach a jury. The jury decides the facts; the judge decides the law. The judge can exclude irrelevant evidence from being presented to the jury during the trial, and the prosecution can (and will) move before trial to exclude evidence of his legal arguments that the drug laws are unconstitutional. This motion before trial is called a motion in limine, and would result in his legal arguments being dealt with before trial. If he lost the motion(s) on his legal arguments, the jury would not get to hear them.

I think jury nullification - the jury ignoring the law and the facts and, in essence, making their own law - in this case would require a very permissive judge. Judges are often more permissive if a defendant is acting as his or her own lawyer, so there might be a chance on that front (key word: "might").

That's a very remote possibility - and I've been continually advised by my standby counsel not to go to a jury trial - as it is costly and time consuming for the court (i.e. not in my favor for a lesser sentencing...)

While part of me wants to appeal to the public...
The other part of me really knows better.

The prosecutor doesn't care - you're right. And he dismisses all my arguments because this is supposed to be an easy case for him.
Just wait until I start making other motions - asking for removal of evidence for 4th Amendment violations under the ruling in Lawrence v. Texas ;)

The judge though...
He tends to rule liberally (for the gay kids to get their little club at school...) and he was really intrigued by the way I worded my question.
So it's going to be interesting how he rules.

I have his attention - and I'm fine with that.
The prosecutor...
He's clueless as to what's really going on here. And I like it that way.
I'm still wondering if him making the claim that all our rights are voted upon in order to determine them was an act of purgery.....

Thoughts on that?

It is an act of perjury, but in making that claim, he could be ssen as damning the enire country, and most importantly all of the voters in it,

mulberryman said:
It is an act of perjury, but in making that claim, he could be ssen as damning the enire country, and most importantly all of the voters in it,

Is it purgery if he believes we have an authoritarian democracy and NOT a Constitutional Republic?
Is is purgery if he BELIEVES he spoke the truth while speaking blasphemous lies?

That's really what I'm curious about.

He also wasn't under oath. So I don't know if purgery applies.

It's interesting though - that someone who's all high and mighty because he's been appointed by the president (and approved by the Senate, according to the reply brief he sent me...) has no idea what the Constitutional foundations of our country are.

That speaks volumes for the state of the nation.

It makes me not feel so bad about putting up a fight - because SOMEONE has to.
It those we appoint to positions of power have no notion of the limitations upon that power, it's no wonder things are so upside down.

The Federal Government - part of the reason I have no problem doing what I'm doing...
They're all just PEOPLE.
Not one of them is superior to any one of "us" (low life drug users/dealers) under the Constitutional law.

It isn't me v. some immense and powerful entity...
It's me v. a couple of people that really just want to do what's right.

They and I disagree upon what's right - but my position is a little more solid than theirs ;)

But back to the point - people are fallible.
If the prosecutor - through some elaborate slip of the tongue committed a criminal act...
Is he truly at fault, or does the mens re have to be proven in this case?

There's no mens re for the drug laws...
Why should there be mens re for people who "KNOW" the law to say something directly in violation of the law?

Does this imply mens re - and any attempt to deny knowledge would be an admission of ineptitude, forcing him to step down from his appointed office?

If those we grant power LIE to us about what their powers are, how can we claim to be free/expect to be free/put up with this criminality by those that we consensually place into office?

(See... when I can worry about my case I make progress. When I worry about petty little things like this.... eh. My mind just spins endlessly...)

Kalash said:
The time and energy of the prosecutor shouldn't be bargaining tools - they should be able to prove I committed a crime beyond a reasonable doubt.
it is your leverage against the prosecution. time, money, and resources are what the prosecution has to lose by taking the case to trial.

They can't - or haven't - done so.
At least, not to my satisfaction.
it's up to 12 peeps in a box or a judge.

I don't know why that isn't a sound legal argument.
Congress cannot deprive me of my property rights without due process of law.
law is what a judge says it is. you are relying on a lot of Constitutional clauses that the U.S. Supreme Court has already interpreted several times. the Supreme Court is the final interpreter of the Consitution. they have limited (or defined) your right to property and due process for centuries. why would the justices change their minds and uproot years of precedent?

Just wait until I start making other motions - asking for removal of evidence for 4th Amendment violations under the ruling in Lawrence v. Texas
Read in the broadest sense, Lawrence v. Texas stands for the proposition that the government cannot regulate sexual practices between consenting adults, regardless of gender. It comes from a line of cases which also protects the right to use contraceptives. (Griswold v. Connecticut) These cases have to do with sexual privacy, not criminal evidence. While there are small leaps in ideals between contraceptives and sexual practice, a court can never issue broad doctrines; it is limited, by Article III, to ruling on a live case or controversy. So while you might try and use Lawrence to argue persuasively that there is some broad connection between criminal evidence and the right to sodomy, it is not a legal argument. As in, there is no basis in law. What you are essentially doing is asking for new law.

as a side note -- please no directly listed last names of attorneys or parties to the case.

mulberryman said:

So it's a Constitutional argument - as the law itself is void ab initio?

;)

I'm not arguing that I don't like the law - I'm arguing that it's an unconstitutional licensing statute - and I must not obey it.

The law is void in fact - and I need no "lawful" argument against a law that doesn't exist; I can't be tried under it.

(Psychotic? Eh. Maybe. But it's working for me ;))

Let go of what you believe and start thinking abstractly.
This linear, "It's against the LAW therefore it's illegal" stuff doesn't work for me.
It never has.
I need a, "Why?"
And now, I need a more important, "Under what authority that is superior to my fundamental unalienable God-given property rights? So you're greater than god? Really?"

I have to commend you for standing up for you rights. But you are going to go to prison for this. You may see the laws as unconstitutional and I might be inclined to agree with you. But you are not the judge of what is or is not constitutional. The Supreme Court is and they do not agree with you. There is no way a federal judge is going go against decades of precedents.

If I were you, my goal would be to spend as little time in prison as possible by getting the best deal I could. If this goes to trial there is a very real possibility that you will get the maximum sentence when you lose (and you will lose because you have no real defense).

I know I'm not going to change your mind but I figured I would say it anyway.

dtugg said:
I have to commend you for standing up for you rights. But you are going to go to prison for this. You may see the laws as unconstitutional and I might be inclined to agree with you. But you are not the judge of what is or is not constitutional. The Supreme Court is and they do not agree with you. There is no way a federal judge is going go against decades of precedents.

If I were you, my goal would be to spend as little time in prison as possible by getting the best deal I could. If this goes to trial there is a very real possibility that you will get the maximum sentence when you lose (and you will lose because you have no real defense).

I know I'm not going to change your mind but I figured I would say it anyway.

If I'm going to prison I have nothing to lose ;)
The plea deal is still available.
I have no desire to go to trial...
And there is no reason for me to go to trial.

You're right - I have no defense, because there is nothing to defend against; there are no criminal allegations.

For the prosecutor to be able to waive the requirement of a "CRIME" simply because he is not bringing the charges in state or civil court is utterly ridiculous.

The judge is intrigued by my arguments - and you are absolutely correct in that the Supreme Court has upheld the drug laws in certain manners, but they never rule generally - only on specific issues.

The specific issue here is that I cannot be tried for simply possession or contracting (with a consenting adult) with my private property.

These acts are fundamental rights of property.
Congress may make no law abrogating these fundamental rights.

I'm not allowing the question of what drugs are to arise.
The prosecution does not allege the drugs were not MINE.
As they were MINE - and I have fundamental rights associated with OWNERSHIP, I cannot be tried for the crime of exercising my fundamental rights without PERMISSION from the state.

Your blanket statement - "The drug laws will never be overturned because of precedence...."

I don't buy it.
Witch trials no longer take place...
Blacks are recognized as people with rights... Slavery was over turned.
Sodomy is no longer illegal (thanks for Lawrence V. Texas in 2005).

Good rulings overturning bad laws DO take place.
And someone has to stand up and DEMAND a good ruling against bad laws.

The court is cornered by my motions and briefs...
He must rule that Congress can take away my property rights without due process...
Or he must rule the drug laws Unconstitutional and invalid.

I have had procedural rule waived by the prosecutor - technicalities cannot be used to dismiss the case and avoid ruling on the laws themselves.

Pecededence does not always cover everything that is; in this case, no ruling has been made directly on the property rights of the individual v. the lawmaking authority of Congress.

Er...
They have.
And the rights of the people (bill of rights) must control over all powers of Congress.....

They just have not been ruled on in reference to the drug laws.

If you pick a weak argument and lose, the public takes that ruling as a ruling on the laws themselves.

This is NOT the case.

"My property, not for sale or retail purposes does not affect interstate commerce."

Yes, it does - according to the court.
This does not mean that the laws are a constitutional use of authority - it just means that IF the laws are a constitutional use of authority, their scope can, and may reach to a private individual who has no intent to distribute his property.
EVERYTHING may be regulated under the Commerce clause - as EVERYTHING affects interstate commerce.

So the outer scope of the Commerce clause is all that has been defined. (Unless it's alcohol induced rape on a college campus, it can be regulated under the Commerce clause.)

That's all that ruling established.
"I have a fundamental right to possess and distribute drugs."
No.
You do not.

And the court is correct - as one cannot have a fundamental right to possess nor distribute ANYTHING - as one is not born into OWNERSHIP of anything.
You have no right to possess nor contract with anything which you do not possess.

That's all the ruling established...

The drug laws have not been vindicated by the Supreme Court - they have been adamantly avoided in a direct ruling on the rights of the people v. the powers of Congress.

With the Supreme court, you get what you argue for, and that's it.
Hence my statements about the Supreme Court in my 2nd Declaration of Independence...
http://new.revolutioni.st

The Judiciary has committed similar crimes against the sovereign people of this nation.

They have failed utterly to protect the citizens from the steady encroachment of their rights by invalidating the unconstitutional acts passed by congress. Instead, they have relied upon errors in court procedure to relieve those complaining of mistreatment while condemning the rest of the citizenry to suffer under the fascist authoritarian laws.

They have reinterpreted the constitution to allow for the expansion of the Commerce Clause to reach every level of every citizen's life in violation of their constitutional purpose, and often contradicting their own rulings in favor of governmental authority at the cost of individual liberty.

They have failed utterly to enforce the balance of powers established by the constitution and have aided both Congress and the Executive in their quest for power by ruling against the rights of the individual.

They have failed to protect the rights of the individual from special interest groups and corporations by allowing a slow progression to corporate personhood, wherein the rights of the individual are abrogated by the claimed necessity of the corporation.

They have failed to bring justice equally by creating procedural rules that deprive the common man of a fair and meaningful trial, while rewarding those with the resources to purchase their way out of punishments due to procedural errors derived from the unnecessary rules established.

They have deprived the people of their rights by taking these rights and making rules against the free exercise of these rights, in violation of their constitutional purpose. Examples include the right to a fair trial, the right to represent one's self by appointing representation to all defendants, the right to assistance of counsel by appointing representation to all defendants rather than permitting a defendant to represent themselves with the assistance described in the 6th amendment, the right to demur in all cases by the creation of Rule 12 (1).

For these and other crimes against us, we, the sovereign citizens of these united states of America hereby disband the Federal Judiciary in its entirety. The Supreme Court justices and the Justices of the lesser Federal Courts either currently sitting, or still alive, shall be placed on trial by jury to determine if their positions or actions in their respective position of privilege were in violation of the constitution as written and explained by the founders. Any rulings against the rights of the people in favor of government privilege will be punished under U.S. code title 18 Chapter 13 section 241 and 242, as well as any other applicable law.

The supreme court does not rule broadly - and they never have.
And all bad laws must fall to a good ruling at some point in time.
There's no reason that point in time cannot be now.

kalash, you know I'm in full agreement with you - I see any and all drugs as private property that should be fully accessible to adults with certain caveats (basically those of cigarettes, an age limit, etc).

However, let me play devil's advocate. The following statement could apply to ecstasy just as well as, say, nuclear weaponry, how would you make a distinction here? Could/would you?
The specific issue here is that I cannot be tried for simply possession or contracting (with a consenting adult) with my private property.

These acts are fundamental rights of property.
Congress may make no law abrogating these fundamental rights.

(clearly this falls back to me thinking it should be okay for an adult to own mdma, but prolly not a nuclear weapon lol, although I'm kind of at a loss for how to clearly differentiate the two if my stance is I should be able to own mdma, but not advanced weaponry)

best I can come up with, aside from longer ethical arguments, is that the nuclear warhead could do a lot of damage. But a kid driving on mdma can do a lot of damage too, and whether it's the mdma or a weapon, both are harmless on their own, and require a person to create the harm.. maybe I'd have to just argue from the point of potential capacity for destruction, like mdma couldn't cause too much damage in a worst case, whereas said weapons could, but that's pretty weak reasoning...

bingalpaws said:
best I can come up with, aside from longer ethical arguments, is that the nuclear warhead could do a lot of damage. But a kid driving on mdma can do a lot of damage too, and whether it's the mdma or a weapon, both are harmless on their own, and require a person to create the harm.. maybe I'd have to just argue from the point of potential capacity for destruction, like mdma couldn't cause too much damage in a worst case, whereas said weapons could, but that's pretty weak reasoning...

That's the basic gist of it though.

Reason for possessing MDMA? Personal use or wide spread destruction?
Purpose of possessing a nuclear warhead? Personal use or wide spread destruction?

The issue shouldn't be "potential harm" it should be legitimate personal use without the violation of another's rights (without their consent).

Can you use a nuclear warhead for personal reasons (i.e. protection of your life, liberty, and property from an unwanted invader) without violating the rights of your neighbors/ community (destruction of their lives, liberty, or property)?

The answer to that would be somewhat vague - assuming one owned a landmass the size of... something huge.
But the nuclear fall out area... that would also have to be owned by the owner of the nuclear warhead.

Otherwise, no legitimate personal use of the nuclear warhead could exist without that use resulting in a crime - therefore the possession of the item itself is a show of criminal intent, as there could be no other legitimate use of the item in question.

MDMA can be used on an individual basis without harm to others.
If one uses MDMA and harms others that is a separate CRIME resulting in criminal offense. The possession itself does not indicate the possessor intends to harm another - only themselves - and therefore cannot be legislated by Congress.

If one uses a nuclear warhead and harms no others (nor their property) then yes - they could possess and use a nuclear warhead.
Again - keeping in mind the fall out radius - in order for them to successfully deploy their property without violating the rights of another - would require very controlled and specific circumstances.
If these circumstances are met - ownership of an area great enough to absorb the entirety of the nuclear blast - as well as the fall out...
Then sure. Why not let them have it - assuming they do not threaten others with its use (crime)?

If you start punishing people for their criminal potential, all of us must be locked up because all of us can be driven to the point of CRIME - be it murder (for various reasons), THEFT (from hunger), or ENSLAVEMENT (through coercing others to obeying our will through use of/threat of force).

If we can be arrested for our criminal potential - whether we commit a crime or not - we are not a free people.
If you waive the fundamental requirement of a CRIME as part of the legal process...
Doesn't the process break down and become criminal in and of itself?

mulberryman said:
Has there been alot of cases of MDMA impaired driving?

This is irrelevant...

If one person drives drunk does all of society need to have alcohol taken away from them, or just the person driving drunk?

Kalash,

As much as I hope for the best for you and respect that you are trying to take a stand, the fact is that, in the eyes of the judicial system, your arguments don't really hold any water. It's sad, and I don't like it, but it's the truth.

The "Commerce Clause" has been bastardized to such an extent that EVERYTHING is interstate commerce (and I think you say as much, but I'll still continue with my interstate commerce rant just in case you decide to prominently rely on that argument). Say someone burns down a house. They didn't cross state lines to do it. The house was built with all American, all in-state products by an all American, all in-state crew. But what about that gas you used to light the fire? Sure, you got it from the gas station down the road. But where was it before that? Unless you live in Texas, it probably came from out of state. That's enough to make it interstate activity and make it a federal crime. (I disagree, but the Supreme Court doesn't.)

And things get even more clever/ridiculous with drug laws. All the government has to show is that there was an EFFECT on interstate commerce. We Commerce Clause opponents (or, should I say, opponents to it's illicit application) were actually greatly harmed by the Civil Rights movement. Why? Because, in an effort to curb racism, the federal government passed acts like the Civil Rights Act of 1968 which, in part, made it unlawful for hotels to not allow a person to stay there because of their race or ethnicity. The interstate link? People from different states sometimes stay in hotels of another state. If they can't stay in a hotel somewhere else, they might not travel. If they don't travel, the things they'd purchase or sell in the other state don't get purchased or sold. So there you go. Interstate commerce. Ridiculous? Absolutely. But it's a ridiculous connection that has decades and decades of precedent to back it up. The cases finding laws unconstitutional because there is not a connection to interstate commerce are few and far between. And most of the ones that are struck down are just reworded so that they fix their errors and then pop back up again. I wouldn't even use this argument unless you can prove that every single ingredient used to produce the MDMA had it's origin inside your state. Not just that you bought them all instate, but they were wholly and completely manufactured in state. You'll also have to prove that people never crossed state lines with your product.

I couldn't agree more with you in regards to it being outrageous that the government outlaws behavior that could only in theory infringe upon the rights or property of another person. But, again, the law (aside from the so-far-non-precedential natural law) just doesn't support this. Even if a court were to accept that a consenting adult has a right to possess personal property as long as they don't harm anyone with it, I doubt laws that directly infringe upon those rights would be subject to "strict scrutiny." There are three levels of scrutiny. Strict, intermediate scrutiny, and rational basis. Strict scrutiny denies such rights as not being discriminated against because of skin color. If the government passes a law that infringe upon that it must be to serve a significant gov't interest. It must be narrowly tailored to accomplish only the significant goal, and the government must use the least restrictive means necessary. Ideally, the right to possess property (drugs included) would fall under this. Intermediate scrutiny is applied to things like gender discrimination or laws that remove rights of illegitimate children. It requires a little bit less on all accounts in comparison to strict scrutiny. The last level is rational basis and it applies to everything else. All the government has to show here is that they are trying to accomplish a legitimate goal and the means they are using to do it could rationally end in success.

Even if possession of ANY property were determined to be a right, possession of intoxicating substances would probably be subject to the rational basis test. The government would say, "Drugs hurt people. We want to keep people off of drugs. So we're making them illegal." The rubber stamp goes on and all is well. Really we already do it. We've determined that people can consume alcohol. But there is a government and societal interest in restricting it's use. We've established legal limits for blood alcohol content while driving. We've restricted the age at which you can purchase and consume alcohol. And there are even laws restricting where you can drink alcohol and, in some states, the kind of alcohol you can purchase is restricted.

The only real hope for reform is a changing of drug laws on a federal and state level. It'll have to be an evolution, though. They aren't going to change over night. And, no matter how noble your intent, your case won't change a thing. Trust me when I say that just about all lawyers and judges have heard those same arguments you made before. They've probably discussed them and debated them thoroughly. These aren't new arguments. Are they morally persuasive arguments? Yep. Are they arguments that most people don't have the balls to use? You bet. But, in the end, the don't really matter. The law is the law and precedent is precedent. And neither law nor precedent is on your side (beyond a few very old cases that courts will consider out of date, and some very narrow cases that courts will say don't fit into your situation).

Perjury: Gotta be under oath to commit perjury. Even if a prosecutor intentionally says something that is untrue, it's not a crime, because he's not under oath. There are a lot of other rules that apply to attorneys, and prosecutors even more explicitly, but they are all regulatory ethical requirements that don't violate the law. If you're curious google "Model Rules of Professional Ethics" and maybe add "attorney" to the search to weed out rules for other professions. Penalties can be pretty harsh (losing your license for a period of months or all together for instance), but they are not crimes, per se.

Anyway, I like what you're doing. As I said, it takes balls. And you're right. That's why it sucks so bad to have to tell you that no argument you could make regarding the drug laws being unconstitutional, etc. will help you one bit. I don't know if you did this in the first place or not, but you were better off: 1) getting an attorney and letting him handle the case and 2) attacking the indictment on it's face; attacking the search or seizure of the drugs as illegal; those kinds of things. Although it's still hard to win on those 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendment search/seizure/warrant issues, there is some precedent to back you up. Lawrence v. Texas won't help you. It's a great ruling, but it doesn't help you here. Your best chance in getting the fairest possible sentence is to get evidence excluded. I'll give you a list of cases that might help along with a brief statement of their importance:

Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967) (you have to have a reasonable expectation of privacy before your right to privacy can be violated; the court discuss what constitutes a reasonable expectation)

Johnson v. United States, 333 U.S. 10 (1948) (this only helps if the search was without a warrant; basically says that, without more, just because you have probable cause to get a warrant doesn't mean you have probable cause to conduct a warrantless search without consent)

Spinelli v. United States, 393 U.S. 410 (1969)(if the probable cause used to get the warrant was based upon an informant, the following test applies--Spinelli Test for reasonableness of search based upon information from informant:
1) Who is the source of the information and is this source reliable?
2) If we don’t know the identity of the source, can we know that it is reliable and credible and what’s the basis of the information?)

Prandy-Binett, 995 F.2d 1069 (D.C. Cir. 1993) (if you're not in the DC circuit this isn't binding precedent, but it can be persuasive. It also states a generally accepted standard on how to determine if probable cause is present--courts like to use a "totality of the circumstances" test because it gives them the most leeway)

I don't have a case for this one, but it could be helpful if the information used as the basis of probable cause was information from quite a while back. If so, the information may have been "stale" and thus not able to be used to determine probable cause.

There are a lot of cases similar to the cases I cited, or ones that either discuss, uphold, or distinguish those cases. I'd look into those also.

Hope everything turns out as well as possible. The United States judicial system (I refused to call it a "justice system" as that's so ironic it's not even a little bit funny) is completely messed up. The laws are messed up. The people who enforce the laws are messed up. And (though to a lesser extent I believe) the people who sit in judgment are messed up. It will take serious legislative changes and maybe even constitutional amendments to really change things. I have hope that this will happen, though, as most Americans seem very open to the legality of medicinal marijuana and a very notable percentage (though I believe still a minority) believe in complete decriminalization of marijuana. Those are the two things that will come first. And I think they'll happen in my lifetime. As for other drugs? I really don't know. Again, best of luck.

Quick update - the motion was denied.

The court issued an 11 page written opinion...
More on that later - all I have is a paper copy...

Not sure how I'm gonna get it on here....

The court - as well as the prosecution - failed to answer a some of my raised issues - and apparently there are a couple different options at this point.

Walrus - other than Alcohol Induced Rape on a College Campus...
That's the only thing that isn't held under the interstate commerce clause to be regulate-able by it.
Picking your nose severely affects interstate commerce. I'm not sure what happens if you pick it while on a college campus in the room with someone of the opposite sex, while you're drunk...
That might NOT be interstate commerce, but I wouldn't want to risk it.
;)

As much as I, myself and many of us do want to see Kalash win, I think this case was doomed from the start. the government doesn't have to always follow its own laws, that's one of the benefits of it being the government,

The complete destruction of the Interstate Commerce Clause really disgusts me. It was SUPPOSED to be a LIMIT on the power of the federal government, and instead they use it to justify everything.

There have actually been a few other cases (such as the US v. Lopez case that you mention) where a congressional law has been determined to run afoul of the commerce clause, however they've mostly come as a result of bad drafting of the laws than anything else. The Supreme Court wants to let Congress do as they please, Congress just has to put the right boilerplate language in there. Actually the Lopez case, which at the time invalidated the first version of the "Gun Free School Zones Act," ended up not mattering much because they just re-wrote it and tried again and apparently the current version is fine. They just didn't think to add something that said "possession of a guns within X feet of a school that affects interstate commerce." Thank God they figured that out and fixed it...ha

The reason they might not have addressed some of the issues you raised may have been because they were arguments, but didn't directly cite case law to back them up. I don't know that. Maybe you had a case to support each of your positions. I just know that, on the appellate level at least, if you make an argument in a brief but don't cite a case or a statute or something in support of the argument, the other side doesn't even have to respond to it. I see the reasoning behind this, but I also think that, sometimes, a good argument is just a good argument even if it's a new one or one that no judge or attorney has ever made in a published case.

I'm sure your stand-by attorney will tell you this (or you might already know), but be sure to raise every single possible issue, even if you think it's a loser. Because if you don't raise an issue you think is a complete loser, a new case might come down later than makes it a winner. If you had raised it earlier, you could raise it on appeal. However if you don't, there are only a limited number of issues that can be raised on appeal that weren't raised first at the trial court level. Preserving the record for appeal is one of the most important things that an attorney (or in your case a pro se defendant) does at a trial. So I'll back off on my assertion that it was pointless to raise the commerce issue and the property rights issues, because you never know when something crazy might happen and all of a sudden you're sitting there with a brand new case that supports you (ok, it won't and doesn't happen often, but it could...theoretically). So even if you think the search and seizure issues have no chance to win, those are issues you really really need to raise. Don't ever fail to not raise those, because the law is constantly changing and evolving. Pretty much every year search and seizure changes a little bit. Right now the trend is away from more rights and toward more police power, unfortunately.

Also, if you do decide to actually go to trial, I'd suggest that you abandon your pro se status and allow your standby attorney to take over. Not necessarily because of any defect in yourself. I don't mean you shouldn't tell the attorney what you thinks needs to be done and help guide the trial strategy. The thing is, though, that if you are convicted and can't win on appealing the issues directly, the step after that is to claim there was "ineffective assistance of counsel." Ineffective assistance is really hard to win on, but it's another bite at the apple. If you represent yourself, though, courts won't even consider an ineffective assistance claim. You essentially forfeit your right to make such a claim in later appeals when you represent yourself. And even with the best lawyers, there are always some ineffectiveness claims you can try to make. In criminal defense, you first try to win at the trial or get the case dismissed, but you also have to be planning for all contingencies, and that means allowing yourself the most possible issues to appeal later.

Anyway, good luck. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a private message. I know you have a lawyer that you can consult, and you do a pretty good job yourself too, but, though I don't claim (one way or another) to be a lawyer, I have a decent deal of experience with criminal defense and I'm sure that I probably share your philosophy on drugs laws more so than your attorney, so maybe I'd have an easier time giving advice on how to attack a novel issue that interests you. I am NOT offering legal services and I do NOT claim that my advice is right or that you should even listen to me. These are all just opinions (I'll probably use that disclaimer a lot...can't be too careful).

TheWalrus30 said:
The "Commerce Clause" has been bastardized to such an extent that EVERYTHING is interstate commerce (and I think you say as much, but I'll still continue with my interstate commerce rant just in case you decide to prominently rely on that argument). Say someone burns down a house. They didn't cross state lines to do it. The house was built with all American, all in-state products by an all American, all in-state crew. But what about that gas you used to light the fire? Sure, you got it from the gas station down the road. But where was it before that? Unless you live in Texas, it probably came from out of state. That's enough to make it interstate activity and make it a federal crime. (I disagree, but the Supreme Court doesn't.)

Except for drunk rape on college campuses. That's it's only limit >_<

And things get even more clever/ridiculous with drug laws. All the government has to show is that there was an EFFECT on interstate commerce.

That's b.s. - as the Health and Welfare of the general populace cannot supersede the property rights of an individual.

And the reasoning behind this is that the drug laws are, according to case law, "Malum in se"

And if you want to go totally b.s. on this... the court used case law to back it up...
Church of Scientology Flag Service Org. V. City of Clearwater, 2 F.3d 1514 (11th Cir. 1993)
U.S. V. Cordoba-Hincapie, 825 F. Supp. 485, 493 (E.D.N.Y. 1993).
These opinions are based on the "perceived dangerousness of drugs and drug trafficking."

This thing reaks of being a legislated moral code.
Drugs are malum in se?
If they are WRONG - so wrong on a fundamental level that ALL users believe them to be WRONG every time they are used, then this statement is correct.
Are drugs WRONG or are drugs merely property?
That's the fundamental question that the court shirks in it's opinon I picked up yesterday...

However it claims....
Drugs are NOT property - and one has no fundamental right to possess that which Congress has prohibited through the Interstate Commerce Clause.

Irony - Nuclear weapons, chemical waste, and child porn were used to turn back my position.

I just covered Nuclear weapons and chemical waste.
Child porn is specifically legislated morality.
This is not Constitutional.

The creation of child porn is criminal. Once it is created, no further harm is done by possessing that which has already been made.
Again though - there is a fundamental infringement upon the rights of another (the child in the creation of the pornogrophy) which trumps the property rights of those wishing to possess the child porn.

All child porn could be seized as evidence of the actual crime - the violation of the Child's rights.

Drugs fail to be malum in se - as they harm no one but the user according to his waiver of other's responsibility for this harm, by his own choice to risk his health body and mind in his pursuit of happiness.
Drug dealing is no more intristically dangerous than selling popcorn at a movie theater.
The reason drug dealing is possibly malum in se is not the fact that dealing is WRONG inherently of itself, but because the unconstitutionally legislated moral code banning drugs as something other than private property - to not be policed nor protected as one's fundamental property rights MUST be in accordance with the Constitution, making the distribution and possession allegedly criminal, driving away law enforcement and demanding that justice be distributed outside the legal system and governmental protections of our fundamental property rights.

This fundamental argument; that drugs are malum in se - is so indoctrinated within the Court's opinion that there is no way to challenge anything.
This goes back to their other argument; no one has a fundamental right to possess that which Congress has prohibited...

If Congress may pick any item that may cause a threat to the health and welfare of the American people - and after creating such a law, one is denied to have ever possessed the RIGHT to possess (through ownership) PROPERTY which Congress has converted into something that is "malum in se" in complete absence of due process...

What protections of our rights do we have?
Don't car crashes kill more people every year than drugs? Don't the pollute our environment creating a general threat to the health and welfare of the American people?

Under the reasoning outlined by the court, Congress may legislate away one's right to possess a car due to the perceived threat to the health and welfare of the American people - and the possession of one's property will no longer be "fundamental" but malum in se.
Cars are even worse than drugs in relation to the "General health and welfare" of the people as the pollution affects those that do not drive.
Drug use only affects those that use drugs - not their neighbors nor non-users.

What the court proposes, however, is that the Government's interest in the people's general health and welfare is greater than the people's property interests and their ability to pursue happiness.

It does not matter if private possession of one's private property affects interstate commerce or not.
The claim and exercise of a Constitutionally protected right cannot be licensed nor prohibited as the government claims to do under the CSA.

The CSA prohibits the possession of private property.
Property rights are so fundamental and rooted in the very foundations of this country that there is no way Congress may abrogate them.
The right to possess that which one owns without threat of force by the state to take his property and punish him for merely possessing that which he may possess and distribute by RIGHT OF OWNERSHIP is implicit in the concept of ordered liberty.

The right to possess one's property is fundamental and unalienable. The idea that congress may convert one's property into a privilege, thus denying the people the rights of possession and distribution by RIGHT of ownership - and that these rights may then be dismissed as not being fundamental as they have been converted into privileges is unfathomable by a FREE citizen with a subservient government that rules by limited grants of privileged power.

We Commerce Clause opponents (or, should I say, opponents to it's illicit application) were actually greatly harmed by the Civil Rights movement. Why? Because, in an effort to curb racism, the federal government passed acts like the Civil Rights Act of 1968 which, in part, made it unlawful for hotels to not allow a person to stay there because of their race or ethnicity. The interstate link? People from different states sometimes stay in hotels of another state. If they can't stay in a hotel somewhere else, they might not travel. If they don't travel, the things they'd purchase or sell in the other state don't get purchased or sold. So there you go. Interstate commerce. Ridiculous? Absolutely. But it's a ridiculous connection that has decades and decades of precedent to back it up. The cases finding laws unconstitutional because there is not a connection to interstate commerce are few and far between. And most of the ones that are struck down are just reworded so that they fix their errors and then pop back up again. I wouldn't even use this argument unless you can prove that every single ingredient used to produce the MDMA had it's origin inside your state. Not just that you bought them all instate, but they were wholly and completely manufactured in state. You'll also have to prove that people never crossed state lines with your product.

Unfortunately, due to Lawyerdude's involvement, yes. That is exactly what I would have had to prove - however that doesn't work either as personal possession and production in one locality for one's own personal use in the immediate vicinity of the point of production DOES affect Interstate Commerce - as you reduce the demand on the international black market that does already exist.

I couldn't agree more with you in regards to it being outrageous that the government outlaws behavior that could only in theory infringe upon the rights or property of another person. But, again, the law (aside from the so-far-non-precedential natural law) just doesn't support this. Even if a court were to accept that a consenting adult has a right to possess personal property as long as they don't harm anyone with it, I doubt laws that directly infringe upon those rights would be subject to "strict scrutiny." There are three levels of scrutiny. Strict, intermediate scrutiny, and rational basis. Strict scrutiny denies such rights as not being discriminated against because of skin color. If the government passes a law that infringe upon that it must be to serve a significant gov't interest. It must be narrowly tailored to accomplish only the significant goal, and the government must use the least restrictive means necessary. Ideally, the right to possess property (drugs included) would fall under this. Intermediate scrutiny is applied to things like gender discrimination or laws that remove rights of illegitimate children. It requires a little bit less on all accounts in comparison to strict scrutiny. The last level is rational basis and it applies to everything else. All the government has to show here is that they are trying to accomplish a legitimate goal and the means they are using to do it could rationally end in success.

Well - if it has to rationally end in success, then I can argue that...

Even if possession of ANY property were determined to be a right, possession of intoxicating substances would probably be subject to the rational basis test. The government would say, "Drugs hurt people. We want to keep people off of drugs. So we're making them illegal." The rubber stamp goes on and all is well. Really we already do it. We've determined that people can consume alcohol. But there is a government and societal interest in restricting it's use. We've established legal limits for blood alcohol content while driving. We've restricted the age at which you can purchase and consume alcohol. And there are even laws restricting where you can drink alcohol and, in some states, the kind of alcohol you can purchase is restricted.

And some regulation would be tolerable as long as that regulation prevented actual crime in all cases.
If someone were capable of violating the statute but not committing a crime, then the law must be ruled invalid.

The court also agreed that CRIMES must only exist in civil cases.
For criminal offenses, no one must violate the rights of another.

Something is really wrong here...

The only real hope for reform is a changing of drug laws on a federal and state level. It'll have to be an evolution, though. They aren't going to change over night. And, no matter how noble your intent, your case won't change a thing. Trust me when I say that just about all lawyers and judges have heard those same arguments you made before. They've probably discussed them and debated them thoroughly. These aren't new arguments. Are they morally persuasive arguments? Yep. Are they arguments that most people don't have the balls to use? You bet. But, in the end, the don't really matter. The law is the law and precedent is precedent. And neither law nor precedent is on your side (beyond a few very old cases that courts will consider out of date, and some very narrow cases that courts will say don't fit into your situation).

More or less... :-/

Perjury: Gotta be under oath to commit perjury. Even if a prosecutor intentionally says something that is untrue, it's not a crime, because he's not under oath. There are a lot of other rules that apply to attorneys, and prosecutors even more explicitly, but they are all regulatory ethical requirements that don't violate the law. If you're curious google "Model Rules of Professional Ethics" and maybe add "attorney" to the search to weed out rules for other professions. Penalties can be pretty harsh (losing your license for a period of months or all together for instance), but they are not crimes, per se.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyway, I like what you're doing. As I said, it takes balls. And you're right. That's why it sucks so bad to have to tell you that no argument you could make regarding the drug laws being unconstitutional, etc. will help you one bit. I don't know if you did this in the first place or not, but you were better off: 1) getting an attorney and letting him handle the case and 2) attacking the indictment on it's face; attacking the search or seizure of the drugs as illegal; those kinds of things. Although it's still hard to win on those 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendment search/seizure/warrant issues, there is some precedent to back you up. Lawrence v. Texas won't help you. It's a great ruling, but it doesn't help you here. Your best chance in getting the fairest possible sentence is to get evidence excluded. I'll give you a list of cases that might help along with a brief statement of their importance:
1) no - it's Federal. Retainer fees for the cheapest Fed. attorneys start around $50,000. I had 2 panel attorneys (private attorneys retained by the government as I had a co-defendant with a public defender, so I was unable to get one of those...) and both of them said, "Plea. There is no defense."
2) That was done, to some extent. Apparently recording devices being used on someone's private property without the knowledge of those invited onto that property is permissible and not against any law...
Other than that the indictiment stands - as possessing and distributing one's private property through consensual contract is malum in se...

Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347 (1967) (you have to have a reasonable expectation of privacy before your right to privacy can be violated; the court discuss what constitutes a reasonable expectation)
Not if you're not on your own property...

Johnson v. United States, 333 U.S. 10 (1948) (this only helps if the search was without a warrant; basically says that, without more, just because you have probable cause to get a warrant doesn't mean you have probable cause to conduct a warrantless search without consent)

Spinelli v. United States, 393 U.S. 410 (1969)(if the probable cause used to get the warrant was based upon an informant, the following test applies--Spinelli Test for reasonableness of search based upon information from informant:
1) Who is the source of the information and is this source reliable?
2) If we don’t know the identity of the source, can we know that it is reliable and credible and what’s the basis of the information?)

Prandy-Binett, 995 F.2d 1069 (D.C. Cir. 1993) (if you're not in the DC circuit this isn't binding precedent, but it can be persuasive. It also states a generally accepted standard on how to determine if probable cause is present--courts like to use a "totality of the circumstances" test because it gives them the most leeway)

I don't have a case for this one, but it could be helpful if the information used as the basis of probable cause was information from quite a while back. If so, the information may have been "stale" and thus not able to be used to determine probable cause.

None of those are applicable.
Probable cause - when one is in possession of that which they own?
Hmm... that's not hard to come up with, is it?

There are a lot of cases similar to the cases I cited, or ones that either discuss, uphold, or distinguish those cases. I'd look into those also.

Hope everything turns out as well as possible. The United States judicial system (I refused to call it a "justice system" as that's so ironic it's not even a little bit funny) is completely messed up. The laws are messed up. The people who enforce the laws are messed up. And (though to a lesser extent I believe) the people who sit in judgment are messed up. It will take serious legislative changes and maybe even constitutional amendments to really change things. I have hope that this will happen, though, as most Americans seem very open to the legality of medicinal marijuana and a very notable percentage (though I believe still a minority) believe in complete decriminalization of marijuana. Those are the two things that will come first. And I think they'll happen in my lifetime. As for other drugs? I really don't know. Again, best of luck.

I definitely agree it isn't a justice system.
It's a criminal system of oppression and control.

Freedom? In a free country?
Not while those with a desire to control will reign over use and invalidate our fundamental rights because Congress has converted them into mere privileges.

Unfortunately, due to Lawyerdude's involvement, yes. That is exactly what I would have had to prove - however that doesn't work either as personal possession and production in one locality for one's own personal use in the immediate vicinity of the point of production DOES affect Interstate Commerce - as you reduce the demand on the international black market that does already exist.

I'll be honest and say, though I have heard of that argument, or at least a version of it, I wasn't sure (and couldn't name a case) where it was used. I don't doubt you if you say it is, though. The version I've heard is in reference or Gonzales v. Raich (med. marijuana case; and I don't think the government uses this argument specifically in this case, but I've heard it made) and states that people growing medical marijuana in their backyard strictly for personal use, with all farming equipment coming from them or from completely in-state suppliers/manufacturers, it is still interstate commerce because people that use this medical marijuana WON'T use other prescription medication, thereby effecting the sale of those medications (and if this an argument used by the gov't, it is even more disgusting, because that clearly implicates the government being in bed with drug companies and they're protecting them from the decrease in profits that would come if people could grow their own medicine)

Well - if it has to rationally end in success, then I can argue that...

Ha! Great point. Again, won't fly in court, but the Drug War can't be termed anything other than a horrible failure, no matter which side you're on.

1) no - it's Federal. Retainer fees for the cheapest Fed. attorneys start around $50,000. I had 2 panel attorneys (private attorneys retained by the government as I had a co-defendant with a public defender, so I was unable to get one of those...) and both of them said, "Plea. There is no defense."
2) That was done, to some extent. Apparently recording devices being used on someone's private property without the knowledge of those invited onto that property is permissible and not against any law...
Other than that the indictiment stands - as possessing and distributing one's private property through consensual contract is malum in se...

1) If there were a Federal Defender's Organization (federal public defenders) where you were and you had been able to get one of those guys, they're going to provide the best defense possible to federal crimes. Where I am, they only take a small number of cases, though, because it isn't a large office. And, yes, there are bad federal defender's too. I understand your discontent with your lawyer. Unfortunately, many attorneys write things off too quickly. At the very least an attorney should listen to the client and try to do what the client wants to do if it's at all possible.
2) Recording devices can be legal. If someone, whether it was a cop or an informant, was wearing a wire and spoke to you or a co-defendant, that's legal. The reasoning is that you don't consider what you're saying private because you're consensually revealing it to another person. They can record it because the courts just see an informants recording as another way of the informant telling police what he heard (courts, in this instance, don't distinguish the difference between speaking what you heard with your own mouth, and having what you heard replayed via audio recorder). Let me warn here that no one should go around trying to record what their friends or enemies say without their knowledge. Again, law varies from state to state, but there are some states where that can get you in trouble. Sometimes it's legal to record both sides of a conversation as long as you are a party to the conversation, even if the other person doesn't know. Some places that's illegal. And there are federal wiretapping laws. However if the cops or one of the cops informants wore a wire, courts and federal law don't have a problem with it (me and you do of course). If they just tapped your phone line or your home, that could be problematic for them. If they got a warrant, though, it would be ok (and the Patriot Act, unfortunately, made wiretap warrants horribly easy to get).

Ok, I actually started replying a number of hours ago, but then had some work that came up, so I've lost my train of thought completely. So I'll stop here and if at some point I remember what I was saying, I'll post again. I know I had a few other comments, but damned if I can't remember them.

I might jump on that rationally lead to success thing though.
LEAP can back that up.

DDEAL just shows the flip side of the coin.

I'd be happy if they tie the punishment to the harm and loss provable by the state...
That'd make my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.