Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - San Francisco to force treatment on mentally ill drug users

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
San Francisco to force treatment on mentally ill drug users
Janie Har
AP News
June 4th, 2019
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco officials decided Tuesday to force some people with serious mental illness and drug addiction into treatment, even if it goes against the spirit of a city known for its fierce protection of civil rights.

Several members of the Board of Supervisors voiced deep concerns Tuesday about the possibility of taking away a person’s civil liberties, but the proposal for a pilot program passed 10-1.

Mayor London Breed and other supporters say the move — known as conservatorship — is necessary to help people who are often homeless, addicted to drugs and have a mental illness, making them a danger to themselves.

“Allowing people to continue to suffer on our streets is not acceptable or humane, and I am glad the Board of Supervisors supported our approach to finally make a change,” Breed said in a statement after the vote.

The measure would apply to a handful of people, the city’s department of public health estimated, although the number would grow under legislation pending at the state level.
Read the full story here.

I was skeptical but honestly 8 psychiatric holds in a year is pretty ridiculous. I just hope the beds dont go to private facilities that will havea financial interest in warehousing people

What is the difference between this and being classed as a involuntary patient in the Australian health system where a person is forced to undergo a community treatment order? They too get detained for psychiatric hospitalization and even once discharged from the acute psych wardvthey have to attend out patient appointments until a board of doctor's decide the person is stable and not dangerous to the community or themselves.

Is it just more long term?

Homelessness is a serious problem in Australia too. People fall through the cracks all the time.

How well funded is public housing in San Francisco?