• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV Shows with the most Staying Power?

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
South Park is up there. I'm surprised such a show is able to consistently continue to go through times where they create great episodes time and time again. That's just one example (IMO) though. Surely others stood the test of time. Examples, friends? :)

Cheers was on for 11 years and IMO never lost its touch. One of the few shows that lost an essential main character and didn't dip in quality. An incredibly strong supporting cast.

The amazing thing about South Park is how good it has stayed with essentially only two writers. It's not hard to stay consistent when you got 30 Ivy League grads on your ghost-writing staff. But then again, South Park doesn't churn out 30 episodes a year like network sitcoms do.

the daily show - it's been going 12 years (10 with jon stewart) and i think it's as good today, if not better, that it has always been.

alasdair

I've been a fan of Daily Show since the beginning. I still have a soft spot for Craig Kilbourne. He never took himself too seriously and had some segments that were just completely WTF???. The show was great in the early years when no one knew who they were and they could do features where they totally ambush people Ali G/Borat style.
Daily Show is still very good. But I would say its peek was 1999-2003-ish. It's gotten way too partisan lately for me.
However, The Daily Show is starting to replace Saturday Night Live as THE American TV show for breaking comedic talent. Steve Carrell is a huge star now. Stephen Colbert is a household name. Ed Helms has a great role on The Office. Rob Cordrey got his own show for a bit. Lewis Black is A-list on the stand-up circuit.
Who's SNL given us lately? OK, Tina Fey but who else? Jimmy Fallon never quite broke big outside SNL. Amy Poehler, meh, still kinda a B-list character actor. Will Ferrell was the last BIG star but he left 6 years ago.

The King of the Hill.

Law and Order (even though every episode is a variation on the same theme).

ER (though I've never, ever liked it).

I have to agree with South Park, Frasier too. I actually like South Park a lot now simply because I am amazed that the show is still so freaking funny.

CSI since it doesn't really need a long drawn-out plot, just goes episode to episode (like south park) seems like it could really go on forever with all the endless murder possibilities and all :\

Futurama was pretty consistent from series 1-4.

The recent feature length episodes were absolute stinkers though.

I might have to go for Six Feet Under too, but I think there was a series I wasn't that keen on. My memory isn't so hot.

^ I completely agree with Futurama. That show would have had endless possibilities if Fox was not so stupid. The new episodes blow goats for the most part.

Law and Order are definitely good. Some of the versions I don't like as much, but overall it's very good.

King of the hill. It is such an underrated show. I have seasons 2-10 on my comp and they are all really funny. Even the newer episodes are funny, i wish the same could be said for the simpsons tho, they have some serious staying power but it seems like they really went downhill fast.

South park has always been pretty funny too.

Curb your enthusiasm for sure. If Larry really wanted to, I'm sure it could go for a couple more seasons. I really hope he goes for it too.

Ditto on King of the Hill; being a Texan, many of the characters and scenarios resonate with me.

i <3 king of the hill, but i don't have cable any more so i've missed the last several seasons. :(

I think cable shows have a bit of an unfair advantage here. A season on cable TV is usually around 12 episodes. On network TV, it's about 24.

It's a lot harder to keep things fresh when you're banging out a hundred episodes every four years.