Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Lost

[spoil]Aaron (Clarie's son) being Jacob reborn is one of my current theories.[/spoil]

No one has any thoughts on the recent episodes?

Something that has been bothering me is this:

Why doesn't Kate have a number? The other people Jacob visited have one of the 6 lottery numbers assigned to them.

Granted, most of the recent developments don't make much sense, but this seems like a rather glaring error or oversight of some sort.

Im really digging the spin on trying to confuse us in wondering who is the good one and who is the evil one. Was the man in black actually the good one?

Also, im really erked by the english speaking right hand man to doggen. did they HAVE to name him...Lennon? really?!?!?

Does it make sense that an actual "other" is what Sayid has become? Someone who dies and then comes back. It would explain why Richard doesn't age and Ben said to him "You remember birthdays, don't you Richard?"

I believe i know where they are going with it:

- the "magic box" is a relic from some ancient civilivation powered by the electromagnetic energy that the swan station was studying.

-those in the magic box gain the power to influence things outside the box (maybe just on the island) creating things, projecting themselves into dead people, many of the strange phenomena....

-the man in black and jacob are both in the box, jacob was using his power to keep the man in black in check.

I dunno on second thought maybe it was a half baked theory...

im pissed siyad is evil now. he was a cool character

Who says he is evil? Who says Dogen and Lennon were good guys? Maybe Jacob is actually a bad guy.

So far all we have seen Sayeed do is kill two men who were repeatedly trying to do the same to him. I don't know if that makes him evil.

Luckily the internet if full of nerds and someone wrote down all of the names and numbers. Kate is number 51.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lighthouse_Wheel#The_Lantern_Room

Well, I haven't looked at the page yet, but before I do, I'll comment. If Kate is supposed to be number 51, why haven't they shown her name and number to the audience at any point? They had two opportunities to do so (the cave and the lighthouse) and all the other characters were shown at one or both sites.

Well, I haven't looked at the page yet, but before I do, I'll comment. If Kate is supposed to be number 51, why haven't they shown her name and number to the audience at any point? They had two opportunities to do so (the cave and the lighthouse) and all the other characters were shown at one or both sites.

according to that link they did show it in the lighthouse under "austen"

according to that link they did show it in the lighthouse under "austen"

I will re-watch that portion of the episode, but if they showed it, it was only for a few frames and without the intent of making it easily visible. If the show's producers and writers wanted Kate to have a number and for us to know it, they had plenty of opportunity to do so, yet they didn't.

Furthermore, when "Locke" and Sawyer are in the cave, why doesn't Locke point out Kate's name and number?

I didn't like Inland Empire the first time I watched it because I didn't understand it and for the first time (having watched and understood all of Lynch's work over the years), I considered that maybe Lynch had gotten to a point where he didn't understand what he was doing either. That perhaps he was just being weird for the sake of it, creating puzzles with no solutions, etc.

But then I watched it again and it made perfect sense to me. It's his least accessible work by far, but it's not beyond interpretation.

Whereas with "Lost", none of you guys seem to have any idea what the fucks going on. "Lost" fans appear to all be really confused... or 'lost' if you will. :)

Don't you think it's possible that J.J. Abrams & pals didn't have the end planned out when he started the show? Since they've cycled through about 20 different writers, over 6 years.

Twin Peaks started to rapidly decline in the middle of the second season.

Looking at this thread, the show doesn't appear to make a lot of sense to a lot of you guys. Which means one of two things, either it's so clever that it's difficult to understand it in all it's complexities... or it's completely meaningless.

Given the body of work Abrams is responsible for (outside of Lost), I'd say that the latter is probably more likely.

Don't you think?

Go on.

Admit it.

I think that's a possibility. For some reason I thought this show was mostly planned out ahead of time; but things I have read recently seem to suggest otherwise.

So, I really don't know what to make of it.

I like Lost. I think it was planned out but money and all of that television greed dealt the show a bad hand. It has had some very inspired moments and has been fine television. I'm looking forward to seeing them wrap it up (though I may not get to) and am very happy that the themes from the first season are being dealt with so directly again. That there's Good and Evil and they're leaving Man to choose a direction.

I'm not sure if these are spoilers or not, I guess they might be for folk who haven't started watching this season yet. Anywho, I'm fascinated by the flash-sideways, the alternate timelines, which take place AFTER they had come to the island, and I thought time would only be changed from that point, from the plane not crashing, but evidently it's changed from before it: [spoil]Nadia is still alive and Jack suddenly has a son, and Dogen's son was alive.[/spoil] And my theory is that [spoil]all of the bad things that happened to them haven't happened in the alternate timeline. As if Jacob had never existed to manipulate them into coming to the island, he never had Nadia hit by a car, and Ben we can assume never came to the island as he was teaching with Locke. But Kate had still been arrested--whether Hugo could talk to the dead or not would be interesting.[/spoil] It's odd stuff. Also, I predict that, and this is just an assumption for how things'll turn out this season, but [spoil]I reckon that Ben will die in the next episode[/spoil]. Also, and this is an aside, but in the finale of last season, Ben didn't kill Jacob, did he? He stabbed him, but it was the Smoke Monster who kicked him into the fire when he was crouched down. Am I wrong in this? Finally, regarding this image. [spoil]Sayid and Claire we already know to be on the Smoke Monster's side. Could we extrapolate literally and assume that all of those to his right are evil, and those to his left are good?[/spoil] I don't know. It's twenty past four in the morning. I should probably go to sleep.

Co2:

I am going to disagree with some or most of this post. I have been checking back on some old episodes to try to figure some other unrelated things out though, and as a result my head is sort of spinning, so I might not be getting this exactly right.

Also, I am not going to cover any of my post with black background. If people don't want to see spoilers, they shouldn't read this thread, obviously.

so, SPOILERS AHEAD!

It is my recollection of events that Nadia was alive in 2004 when the plane crashed on the Island. Is that not correct? The Wikipedia article on LOST seems to support this:

"In flashforwards to January 2005, the Oceanic Six—Jack Shephard, Kate Austen (Evangeline Lilly), Sayid Jarrah (Naveen Andrews), Sun-Hwa Kwon (Yunjin Kim), Hugo "Hurley" Reyes (Jorge Garcia) and Claire Littleton's (Emilie de Ravin) infant, Aaron—arrive in Honolulu, where Hurley and Sun are reunited with their parents; Jack with his mother; and Sayid with his girlfriend, Nadia Jaseem (Andrea Gabriel)"

On the other hand, the recap on the ABC website seems to contradict this:

"The plane lands, and they step off to a cheering crowd of Oceanic officials, Coast Guard luminaries, the press, and their families. It's emotional as the survivors reunite with their families. Jack is enveloped into the arms of his mother. Sun hugs her parents, as does Hurley and his parents. There is no one there for Sayid, but Hurley grabs him into his family hug. Kate stands alone holding Aaron."

But when exactly did Nadia die? based on the Scenes involving Ben and Sayid off the island, I thought that Nadia was killed after Sayid returned, which Ben then blamed on widmore's people to get Sayid working for him.

EDIT: I just re-watched part of season 1 "The Greater Good." Nadia is definitely alive when Sayid goes to Australia and ends up on Flight 815. That is why he was there. The CIA convinced him to find the C4 that his friend Essam was going to detonate, and they got him to comply by tellign him they knew where Nadia is.

regarding Dogen's son, maybe Dogen's son died after the plane crash. They don't make it clear how long Dogen has been on the island, do they?

Regarding Jack suddenly having a son - was it ever made clear in the flashbacks that Jack didn't have a son? Maybe he always did and they just never mentioned it because it wasn't relevant. The son says in the "flash sideways" that they only see each other once a month, so I don't find it unreasonable to think that Jack always had the son and that he just never had any reason to be shown.

I do have a major gripe with Ben being a teacher at Locke's school, because that is a blatant inconsistency, since Ben should be on the Island leading the "others." Additionally, it is odd that Hurley is lucky instead of unlucky, so that indicates that the bad things that happened to Hurley didn't actually happen.

Obviously, Desmond should not be on the plane, though it seems that Jack might have imagined that, since he disappears abruptly.

Anyway, what about this entire flash sideways thing do you find fascinating? I find it pointless, annoying, and a detraction from the main storyline. There's littler action and nothing that affects the 2007 situation in any way. The show would be just fine without it and would have more time to devote to the pressing matters at hand, of which there are many.

Besides, the producers and writers have been adamant in saying that there is only one timeline, because to do otherwise would basically ruin the show. In the past, they went out of their way to avoid "temporal paradoxes," that is, they tried to avoid having characters do things in the past that would make present and future events impossible.

However, they blew that all to hell with the detonation of the hydrogen bomb, since that would have theoretically obliterated most of the people on the Island. So, to me, the entire happenings of the show are inconsistent with the detonation of the Hydrogen bomb, thus making its detonation a temporal paradox. Let us not forget that it is the electromagnetic source that crashes flight 815 in the first place. So if this energy source was destroyed in 1977 by the H bomb, that makes no sense.

Even if you say that the alternate timeline (of 2004 with the plane landing safely at LAX) being shown is showing what happens if the Hydrogen bomb went off, that still makes sense, because in the other timeline, the hydrogen bomb went off too, or so it would seem. Unless, it didn't go off at all, and the flash that we thought was the Hydrogen bomb was actually just the electromagnetic energy causing another time warp that coincidentally put them right back in the present where they wanted to be?

Anyway, the writers have promised they wouldn't wrap the show up with some cop out ending such as

- Alternate timelines
- Everything being just someone's dream
- All of them are crazy and none of this is real

or some other similar bullshit cop out ending.

But right now they seem to be heading in that direction.

Last edited:
Great reply. You're right, too, about the spoilers and about the timeline. I forgot that Jacob had appeared to Sayid after he had left the island but before he had returned. As for Jack's son, I'm fairly sure it's the first that's been mentioned of him. The series has gone on for quite a while and so I'm not 100% sure. Wasn't Jack married at some point, to the woman whose life he saved, or whose legs, anyway? It's Hurley and the appearance of Desmond and Ben as a teacher that make me still suspicious the point of divulgence for our time lines would be at from 1977 and not from the uncrashing of Oceanic 815 in 2004. I think the main question is going to be whether or not you can change your fate, which is reason for the flash-sideways.

Anyway, what about this entire flash sideways thing do you find fascinating? I find it pointless, annoying, and a detraction from the main storyline. There's littler action and nothing that affects the 2007 situation in any way. The show would be just fine without it and would have more time to devote to the pressing matters at hand, of which there are many.

The question of whether or not the Hydrogen Bomb detonated certainly plays into the question of fate. As far as the actual filming went, it certainly seemed like a whiteout of the kind we were used to during the time-travelling days. But I'm not as much of a cynic as you. The concept of fate and whether or not you can change it is pretty much consistent throughout the series. I find the flash-sideways to be fascinating for all the reasons you've mentioned. I stand by that the flash-sideways are neccessary to explore whether or not fate can be changed. It's not as if the shows writing roster is inexperienced when it comes to filler. It seems obvious that both storylines will collide, or that events will happen to drive the 2004-ies to the island, (i.e. course correction) but I hope there's something more going into the end of the show.

The next episode airs on the 9th of March and follows Ben as he "deals with the consequences of an uncovered lie." I think it'd be of utmost interest to gauge how his situation on the island mirrors that off of it.

Two thoughts that I would be interested in discussing:

1) To what extent were Ben and the others aware of the Swan station and its significance? Iy seems that they don't really know of its power or importance at all. If they did, would they have left it to chance that Redzinsky, Inman, Desmond, Locke, etc. would successfully push the button every 108 minutes?

I think it's odd that Despite knowing almost everything else about the island, they didn't seem to be aware of that.

then the question is, in the episode "Lockdown" in season 2, did Ben really not press the button as he claimed not to have?

It seems likely he did push it, otherwise there would have been an electromagnetic disturbance or worse. Who or what caused that lockdown in the first place? Locke id not do it, ben was imprisoned, and no one else was there. Since Ben seemed unaware of the Swan's purpose, I doubt he knew of or how to create a lockdown. The only one who seemed to know how to do it intentionally was Desmond, but he was not there. No one else was there.

If Ben pushed the button, why lie to Locke about it? To screw with him?

2) What is the significance of Zach Emma and Cindy?

By my count, there are very few people from the plane crash still alive:

Jin
Sun
Kate
Hurley
Jack
Sawyer
Claire

Rose
Bernard

Cindy
Zach
Emma

The first 7 are central characters. Rose and Bernard are secondary characters but their reason for being on the show is understood.

But why Cindy and the two small children, Zack and Emma? Surely there must be some meaning behind their still being present and shown from time to time. Otherwise, they could have easily been just written out of the show by not being shown anymore. No one would have questioned their absence.

Any thoughts?