Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Futurama

mobj

Bluelighter
tv: Official Futurama Lovers thread

Ok so we've got the obligatory simpsons quotes/lovers thread but I've noticed a disturbing lack of covering for what I think is one of the most underrated and genuinely funny cartoons around today- Futurama

The series was initially conceived by Matt Groening, but after the initial pilot and a few episodes most of the writing was done by others. It's the story of your average, dumb young 20th century american male Fry who's cryonogenically frozen while doing a pizza delivery on New Years Eve, 1999, waking up to celebrate the New Year in the year 3000.... Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

The cartoon uses the futuristic plotline to great effect, using future life to satirize our current society, in much the same vein as Simpsons. The characters are also very memorable, such as Bender, a chain-smoking, whoremongering robot who is powered by booze, and the loveable Zoidberg, a squid-like alien Doctor with very questionable qualifications and a love for garbage (and anything else he can get for free).

The show also has more of a tech feel to it, allowing the computer-savvy geek to pick out a few more references that the average viewer might not... and adds to the unique feel of this cartoon.

So, any other Futurama fans out there? What are your favourite episodes? Your favourite characters? Share the love, people! :D

Zap Branigan and Kif are wicked. As is lurg from Omicron Perci 7.

bender is funny as fuck. I love the one with beck.

"That song wasnt supposed to last 4 hours, but we got into a serious thing...then I forgot how it ended"

ok the one with space bees and the one where they upgrade bender because of the new robot....

scared the fuck out of me because they reminded me of nangs and k...

^^^^^^^
I think Lur is from Omicron Perci 8, he's hilarious though... the whole dysfunctional husband/wife combo is a killer. I love it when he eats the hippy pacifist and gets stoned from absorbing him. Lol.

Muahahahah i love Zap Branigan...
Zap: "Kiff, I have made it with a woman. Alert the crew"
Kiff: "uuughhhhhhh"

The space bees episode was trippy as... "Just wake up Leila!"

I think i love Zoidberg the most...

i have recently discovered futurama. the willy wonka/slurm factory episode was excellent as was the one where they go to robot hell (or something like that...)

alasdair

I love this show!
The Professor is my favorite
I like the episode where Fry gets a job at the cryogenics lab and defrosts Pauly Shore and then his ex-girlfriend.

The episodes with the killer space bees and the giant amazon women were good ones.

"Death....by snu-snu"

I never liked this show until about a month ago. Now I love it

Like a fine wine, it aged with satisfaction. :)

Alasdairm - those episodes sold me on this show.

I love it! The last season was so well written and animated, very cinematic in its storytelling. very underrated show=D

Fry: This movie is great! It's got a Vampire AND and an explosion!

Futurama is comic genius. Better than the more recent Simpsons episodes, without a doubt.
Zoidberg ... what more can I say. The episode where they make themselves younger (cant remember the name, sorry) and he starts reverting through all his stages of clamness. Mint.

^^^^^
"What, you mean I'm going to have to revert through ALL My larval stages???"

Hahahaha

Look it up in the Becktionary.

Futurama was a great show, with lots of subliminal messages and hidden jokes.=D

yep, it's fantastic. i can go back and watch this show over and over again, just like the simpsons. the dvds are great too - commentaries on every episode!

Futurama was a great show, with lots of subliminal messages and hidden jokes

I don't know if I'd go that far... the jokes were neither subliminal, nor hidden. They practically smacked you in the face with every one.

I guess that's why it underwhelmed me. It tried too hard to be witty, and came off hamhanded.

Compare it to the sublime cultural references in Family Guy, for instance. I laugh more in five minutes of any family guy episode than in a whole half-our of Futurama.

Although I'll take any episode of Futurama over anything in the last three seasons of the Simpsons...

^^^ the show does pack in a helluva lot of references that aren't picked up first time round (unless you're some kind of pop-cultural knowledge freak ;)) though...

i reviewed the volume 2 DVD release for GMR magazine. i only had 100 words. here's what i wrote:

"Futurama, Volume 2

Boasting 19 episodes on 4 disks, this Volume 2 DVD set is quality in quantity. Fans seem to agree that Season 2 was Futurama’s strongest and funniest season. I’m inclined to believe them.

It’s tempting to view Futurama as a poor-man’s Simpsons but that does it a disservice. In common with the Simpsons, it has a seemingly endless supply of sharp, satirical humor but Futurama distinguishes itself with inventive characters and storylines and countless moments which are literally laugh-out-loud funny.

Fox has put the show on hold so the future is uncertain for Futurama. Whatever happens, it’s going to be a long time before this volume loses its shine."

alasdair

<--- A lover of The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park . . . who just doesn't get the appeal of Futurama. :(