Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Chappelle Show

^ I'm sure the fact that it was in South Africa had more to due with issues regarding his personal privacy than anything else. He was probably trying to avoid the situation that is now beginning to develop.

Hopefully he's okay, but fame and pressure are probably a pretty heavy burden to deal with. I had heard on the radio that he was partying a lot (pot, booze, cocaine), but that he was not out of control with the partying. On the verge maybe, but not over the edge. Seems as though perhaps the partying was to push away and cope with other, more serious issues he is facing right now (such as the fame/pressure).

Comedy Central Marches on Minus Chappelle
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
Thu May 12, 2005

NEW YORK - Along with Jon Stewart, Dave Chappelle is Comedy Central's biggest star. Now he's gone, with some question about whether "Chappelle's Show" will ever return. At Comedy Central, they're looking to weather the storm but not from a position of weakness: the network's ratings are higher than ever, even without new shows from Chappelle.

Comedy Central announced last week that its planned May 31 debut of the show's third season has been postponed, although it's not fully clear why. The magazine Entertainment Weekly reported that Chappelle had checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa. Production of the series has been stopped with a handful of skits — but no full show — completed, according to the magazine.

Media analyst Larry Gerbrandt said an original series that breaks through the clutter to become a hit is an invaluable commodity.

"Hits are so rare in this business," said Gerbrandt, who specializes in the cable television industry. "It's not fatal, but it's definitely a body blow."

Comedy Central inked a reported $50 million deal to keep "Chappelle's Show" for two more seasons, mostly on the strength of explosive DVD sales. The first season's set has sold 2.8 million copies, making it the all-time biggest-selling DVD of a TV series. The second-season DVD goes on sale May 24.

Industry experts say Comedy Central doesn't sell advertising on a show-by-show basis; advertisers buy spots for the whole network and they are rotated into different series. That means there wouldn't be an immediate financial hit from losing "Chappelle's Show" like there would be if ABC suddenly lost "Desperate Housewives."

If Chappelle doesn't return, it also doesn't necessarily mean Comedy Central is on the hook for a huge contract: part of his big-money deal is based on expected sales of future DVDs, according to industry reports.

"Chappelle's Show" is behind only "South Park" as Comedy Central's most-watched show, according to Nielsen Media Research. ("The Daily Show" ranks No. 5 in ratings for the network, although Stewart is arguably its biggest star.)

Comedy Central will fill Chappelle's empty time slot with episodes of "Reno 911" before the June 14 debut of "Stella," an original series described as a Marx Brothers-like comedy, said network spokesman Tony Fox.

A new series featuring popular comic Carlos Mencia is also expected this summer, he said.

Comedy Central executives were reluctant to talk about how Chappelle's absence will be felt, both out of the immediate concern for his health and the still-unanswered question about whether the show has a future.

The network's ratings success this year was largely fueled by an airing of the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" movie and a roast of
Jeff Foxworthy.

Aaron Cohen, director of broadcasting for the ad-buying firm Horizon Media, said Comedy Central appeared to have several strong shows in development. They include programs featuring Stephen Colbert of "The Daily Show," Adam Carolla and D.L. Hughley.

"I don't think they will lose money," Cohen said. "The only economic impact would be if the ratings of the whole network went down and if all of their development would go into the tank so they're not building anymore. I don't see that."

Gerbrandt said one of the most important roles of "Chappelle's Show" for Comedy Central is to build interest in other network programming. It's similar to how "Grey's Anatomy" has become a hit for ABC in part because it follows the successful "Desperate Housewives" in the Sunday night lineup.

"It doesn't break them financially, but it's a big setback for them from a programming strategy standpoint," he said. "Because you build on your hits."

Link

if alasdarim was still a MOD, this thread would't have made it to ten replies....

I went ahead and merged it. Like it has been said a zillion times in this forum, please use the search engine, or at least scan the front page!!

CHAPPELLE UPDATE: Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, Entertainment Weekly reports. Although his reps weren't confirming it, the troubled Comedy Central star reportedly entered the facility on April 28. The news comes just a week after Comedy Central announced that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of Chappelle's Show had been postponed indefinitely.

My heart goes out to Dave, I really hope he's ok when this all blows over. I could care less about his show compared to his health. :( Sending good thoughts!

I hope he gets well soon. He seems like a genuinely nice guy to me and I hate to see people like that suffer.

From Drudge:

COMEDY CHAPPELLE SPEAKS: WHAT I DID FOR $50 MILLION
Sat May 14 2005 19:48:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Dave Chappelle Found! Talks Exclusively with TIME Magazine in South Africa

"I figured, Let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone-stop a speeding car by using my feet as the brakes. I am surprised at what I would do for $50 million. I am surprised at what people around me would do for me to have $50 million," Dave Chappelle tells TIME's Christopher John Farley in an exclusive interview.

CHAPPELLE tells TIME he's not in mental hospital or drug rehab, debunking earlier reports in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and elsewhere.

The full story, as well as exclusive photos of Chappelle in South Africa, will appear on TIME.com Sunday morning and in the issue that hits newsstands Monday.

Developing...

Link

TIME.com has an exclusive interview [and photo below] with Chappelle in South Africa. If anyone has a subscription to Time maybe they could copy and paste the article in this thread. :)

amchapelle0514.jpg

found it...

===

On the Beach With Dave Chappelle

In this week's TIME, Christopher John Farley reveals why Dave Chappelle decided to leave his hit show and what he's been up to since he disappeared to South Africa two weeks ago. Last Friday night, TIME Johannesburg bureau chief Simon Robinson met with the comic at uShaka Marine World on the beach in the South African port of Durban. In a ninety minute conversation, Chappelle was eager to set the record straight on why he suddenly left the U.S. and what he's doing in South Africa. Here's Robinson's account:

Dave Chappelle shows up to our interview in a red t-shirt, blue jeans and shiny white sneakers. He lopes around in his usual style, pacing a lot, but does not seem like a man struggling to speak or to order his thoughts at all. He's lucid and thoughtful and a couple of times asks me to give him some time to think about answers. He concedes that he is dealing with a lot of issues and mentions that he had consulted a psychiatrist about a week ago for a forty minute session. He is also quite fastidious about keeping his new sneakers clean and stops at least twice to wipe smudges off their toes.

The first thing Chappelle wants is to dispel rumors—that he's got a drug problem, that he's checked into a mental institution in Durban—that have been flying around the U.S. for the past week. He says he is staying with a friend, Salim Domar, and not in a mental institution, as has been widely reported in America. Chappelle says he is in South Africa to find "a quiet place" for a while. "Let me tell you the things I can do here which I can't at home: think, eat, sleep, laugh. I'm an introspective dude. I enjoy my own thoughts sometimes. And I've been doing a lot of thinking here."

The picture he paints—and it seems a fairly honest and frank assessment— is of someone struggling to come to terms with a new position and power who's still figuring out how to come to grips with how people around him are reacting to the $50 million deal he signed last year with Comedy Central. Without naming specific characters, he seems to blame both some of his inner circle (not his family) and himself for the stresses created by last year's deal.

"There were things that overwhelmed me," he says. "But not in the way that people are saying. I haven't spent any of the money. All that stuff about partying and taking crack is not true. Why do I live on a farm in Ohio? To support my partying lifestyle?"

The problems, he says, started with his inner circle."If you don't have the right people around you and you're moving at a million miles an hour you can lose yourself," he says. "Everyone around me says, 'You're a genius!'; 'You're great!'; 'That's your voice!' But I'm not sure that they're right." And he stresses that Comedy Central was not part of the problem and put no more than normal television restrictions on what he could do.

"You got to be careful of the company you keep," Chappelle says. "It's hard to know how much to say. One of the things that happens when people make the leap from a certain amount of money to tens of millions of dollars is that the people around you dramatically change.

"During my ascent, I've seen other people go through that wall to become really big. They always said that fame didn't change them but that it changes the people around them. You always hear that but you never really understand it. But now that I'm there that makes a lot of sense and I'm learning what that means. You have to have people around you that you can trust and aren't just out for a meal ticket."

The breakdown in trust within his inner circle seems to have led him to question the material they were producing. He seems obsessed with making sure the material is good and honest and something that he will be proud. "I want to make sure I'm dancing and not shuffling," he says. "What ever decisions I make right now I'm going to have live with. Your soul is priceless." The first two seasons of his show "had a real spirit to them," he says. "I want to make sure whatever I do has spirit."

But Chappelle also says that he must share the blame for the stalled third season. "I'm admittedly a human being," he says. "I'm a difficult kind of dude." His earlier walkout during shooting "had a little psychological element to it. I have trust issues, things like that. I saw some stuff in myself that I just didn't dig. It's like when I brought a girl home to my mom and it looked as if my mom really didn't like this girl. And she told me, 'I like her just fine. I just don't like you around her.' That's how I feel in this situation. There were some things about myself that I didn't like. People got to take inventory from time to time. That's what this [coming to South Africa] is for."

This is Chappelle's second trip to South Africa. He first came to Durban, and visited Salim, in 2000. Chappelle won't tell me exactly how he met Salim but describes him as a family friend. A soft-spoken Muslim, Salim seems also to be something of a sounding board to Chappelle, who converted to Islam several years ago. While Chappelle is not doing a formal religious course in Durban, says Salim, who wore a simple cotton robe and hung back through the interview and photo shoot and only spoke when I asked him a question, "if he wants to talk religion then I'm there as someone to talk to." Says Chappelle: "This is kind of my spot where I can come to fill my spirit back up. Sometimes you neglect these things if you are running on a corporate schedule." The crux of his crisis seems to boil down to his almost obsessive need to "check my intentions." He uses the phrase a few times during the interview and explains that it means really making sure that he's doing what he's doing for the right reasons.

His family, he says, has been a huge support over the past eight months. "They've been phenomenal really, just incredible. What beautiful people. Everyone loves their family but it's good if you can like them too."

His religion is also crucial. "I don't normally talk about my religion publicly because I don't want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is a beautiful religion if you learn it the right way. It's a lifelong effort. Your religion is your standard. Coming here I don't have the distractions of fame. It quiets the ego down. I'm interested in the kind of person I've got to become. I want to be well rounded and the industry is a place of extremes. I want to be well balanced. I've got to check my intentions, man."

That includes planning for the future. When I ask him if he would ever buy a place of his own in South Africa, Chappelle replies, "First of all I've got to make sure I've got a job."

He says that he's only been recognized five or six times in the two weeks he's been here. "It happens so sporadically that when it does it freaks me out because I have to remember, 'Oh, yeah, I'm famous.'" At the end of our interview/photo shoot an American woman does recognize him. "Number seven," he cries. "Wow, I'm not that big in Africa. I've got to do an action film here."

During most of the hour and a half that we talk, Chappelle is serious and introspective. But he still has his sense of humor, which comes out as we near the end of our conversation: "Is that enough to prove I'm not smoking crack or hanging out in a mental institution?"

Link

^^^HA! Prove all those assholes at EW wrong Dave, I know you can.

Can you blame the guy? Imagine if you went from B grade actor to top 10 most recognizable people in the country in about a year. How would you handle it? It would shake you up certainly, and getting away from it all would certainly be an option. I hope that he gets back and settles this whole fiasco as soon as he's ready for it.

May 24, 2005 -- AWOL funnyman Dave Chappelle has rekindled his American spirit.
The Comedy Central mystery man, who ran away to South Africa late last month, was sighted last week in his home town of Yellow Springs, Ohio, where he reportedly bought a pack of American Spirit cigarettes at a local convenience store, according to the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News.

But he has yet to rekindle his relationship with Comedy Central, according to a network spokesman.

Comedy Central was left in the lurch when Chappelle suddenly split, causing production on "Chappelle's Show" to come to a halt and throwing the future of the high-rated show into jeopardy.

Nor could the spokesman confirm that Chappelle was back in the U.S.A.

But a manager of the convenience store, the Import House, told the Dayton Daily News Chappelle walked into the store last Wednesday.

And an employee of a local bar, Ye Old Trail Tavern, said Chappelle was also sighted strolling down the town's main throroughfare last Thursday.

Chappelle spent part of his childhood in tiny Yellow Springs, where his late father was a professor at Antioch College. Today, Chappelle owns a farm there, where he lives with his wife and two children.

As the only celebrity in Yellow Springs, Chappelle is easily recognized by the town's residents. Located about 20 miles east of Dayton, Yellow Springs has a population of 3,761.

viaacom says that even with the chapelle show not going off they have not lost any advertising

June 4, 2005
Chappelle to meet with Comedy reps

Dave Chappelle may be ready to return to Comedy Central after secretly stealing away last month to South Africa and forcing the channel to postpone the planned May 31 debut of the comedian's popular program.

Before jumping into the driver's seat of a black Lexus at the Four Seasons hotel in Los Angeles on Friday morning, Chappelle said he would be discussing the prospects at a meeting next week with representatives of the channel.

"Chappelle's Show" is the highest-rated program on Comedy Central after "South Park." Since Chappelle's disappearance, copies of the program's DVD have flown off the shelf, prompting questions in some quarters about whether his departure was actually an orchestrated sales stunt. He has since characterized it as a "spiritual retreat."

Sales of the DVD of "Chappelle's Show: Season 2 Uncensored" have topped 1.2 million since being released May 24.

Chappelle, 31, arrived in Los Angeles earlier this week and stunned audiences at two popular comedy clubs Wednesday night when he took to the stage to deliver impromptu stand-up routines.

A Comedy Central spokesman called the notion of a stunt "nonsense" and said he was unaware of any meeting scheduled for next week. "We've been anticipating hearing from Dave and expect to shortly," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/business/cus...a-headlines-business-enter&ctrack=1&cset=true

wanderlust said:
is intensive reporting of his every move really needed? reports of him strolling in town and buying ciggies? come on.

That's what celebs go over the edge.

glad he's not insane. i always got a kick out of him living in yellow springs. my sister went to college there (as did michael) and said she spotted him frequently tooling around town on a motorized scooter of some sort.

He met with Comedy Central but still no news ...

Comedy Central and Dave Chappelle meet
June 8, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) — Comic Dave Chappelle has met with executives at Comedy Central for the first time since his unscheduled "spiritual retreat" in South Africa forced the suspension of the third season of his show.

Comedy Central President Doug Herzog met with Chappelle Friday in Los Angeles, network spokesman Tony Fox said.

Fox would not talk about what was discussed and when — or if — Chappelle would return to the network. A Chappelle spokesman declined to comment.

Chappelle had two unannounced performances at a comedy club in Los Angeles last week. He has said he left for South Africa because he was unhappy with the direction of his show, which had been scheduled to start a third season on May 31, and denied reports of drug or mental problems.

Meanwhile, Comedy Central sold another 400,000 copies last week of its DVD of the show's second season, for a total of 1.4 million so far. The first season's DVD has sold 2.9 million copies, the biggest-selling DVD of a TV series of all time.

Link

Looks like that's all folks...

Actor: 'Chappelle's Show' is over

NEW YORK (AP) -- Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle's hit Comedy Central series isn't coming back, says one of its stars.

"'Chappelle's Show' is over, man. Done," comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. "It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth."

Chappelle's sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

"I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody," he said. " 'Chappelle's Show' was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick."

Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.

Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said.

Murphy, the older brother of comic Eddie Murphy, said his two seasons with Chappelle made him a star.

"Now I can go out and do stand-up," he said. "I'm getting movie offers. It's off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever's going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but 'Chappelle's Show' served its purpose and I'll always be grateful."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Source

I have to admit, I give him props for having a solid show and ending it on a high note. Too many programs just get run into the ground. *cough*Simpsons*cough*