View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trying weed first before trying mushrooms

CashewXD

Bluelighter
A little while from now my friend and I are planning on taking magic mushrooms. This weekend we're going to smoke some grass to get the feeling for being high (we've never done that either), but i was wondering if there was anything else i should do to prepare.

Should i smoke more than just once before moving on to shrooms? and specific way to take them? any way they should look smell or taste? how much should i take?

thanks

Be well aware that jumping into a mushroom trip when you haven't even smoked before will be a pretty unconventional leap of extremes.

I wouldn't say you should just smoke to get it out of the way or to make your "ready" for something bigger. I mean with that approach I don't think it'll really make a difference because you won't exactly be "comfortable" with altered states after toking a few times.

Being "ready" for them is a lot more than drug experience. I'd take maturity, life experience, and knowledge on the drug into account over that.

I'd just chew and swallow them.

They should look pretty gross, IME a woodish/foliage color and very shriveled and wrinkly. The smell like dirt kinda..really subtle but recognizable scent. You can also just search google for "dried psychedelic mushrooms" for pictures btw.

From what I've gathered it's hard to say how much you should take. I could say start low (1/16th oz) and you might not get the full experience, or I could say go all out (1/8th oz) and you could be overwhelmed.

btw there's a thread for these type of questions, pretty sure its named "first time mushroom tripper" or something..

Take a low dose of mushies....or a really high one to completely rid yourself of an ego.

Some people don't get high the first time they smoke. Took me a couple tries to get it right, even with "professional" stoners who were teaching me all the proper techniques and all that shit. If it's just you and someone who's never smoked the green then you might have some trouble.

Do some major research on shrooms before you try them. For starters, I would read every word on this site: http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms.shtml and every word off every link on that site. Learn how the drug works, how to "set the mood" so you're not in a bad situation aka bad trip. Have a trip-sitter. Learn some basic ways to get out of a bad trip, or how to smooth talk someone who's in a bad one. Things to do prior to tripping, how much to take, etc. Expect X-Amount of hours to not be able to do sober-things, like drive for example. Might last longer than expected.
There's all sorts of shit to learn about every drug. The more you research the more and more you'll know about them and what to expect. (You'll also possibly be able to notice things that you friends say, common myths for example.)

depending on your setting smoking weed can make you paranoid. I have seen people lose it after they got high. i would recommend getting a feeling for being high first. a mushroom trip will be very enlightening and different with out without weed. smoking weed during a trip does make it more fun.

I didn't get high the first few times I smoked, either. I really think I did get high, but just didn't know what high felt like... then one day, it clicked... and I get ridiculously blazed off of one to two hits every time.

I'd say you and your buddy should definitely not smoke weed on the shrooms... they very well could cause some paranoia. I'd say each of you should eat 2-2.5g. My first shroom experience was at 2.2 grams of some field shrooms and I tripped ridiculously hard... I've only taken doses up to 3.5 now and I find my sweet spot is in the 2-2.5g range. Of course, YMMV.... but I wouldn't suggest taking a high dose for your first time... unless maybe like a 5-7g voyage to ego death if that's your thing... but personally, it's always better to start lower and be okay and take more next time than to take way too much and try to handle it.

A little while from now my friend and I are planning on taking magic mushrooms. This weekend we're going to smoke some grass to get the feeling for being high (we've never done that either), but i was wondering if there was anything else i should do to prepare.

Should i smoke more than just once before moving on to shrooms? and specific way to take them? any way they should look smell or taste? how much should i take?

thanks

Personally I like the way they taste. The only thing that bothers me is if they aren't cleaned up because sometimes they have lots of dirt and sediment on them which is kinda gross. If they do maybe rinse them a little? I don't thinks that rinses the psilocybin off.

If you don't like the taste I think the best way to down them is grind them up and put them in OJ. The vitamin c is said to make psilocin more active(I don't know how true this is) and it makes it not taste bad at all.

Be well aware that jumping into a mushroom trip when you haven't even smoked before will be a pretty unconventional leap of extremes.

I wouldn't say you should just smoke to get it out of the way or to make your "ready" for something bigger. I mean with that approach I don't think it'll really make a difference because you won't exactly be "comfortable" with altered states after toking a few times.

Being "ready" for them is a lot more than drug experience. I'd take maturity, life experience, and knowledge on the drug into account over that.

I'd just chew and swallow them.

They should look pretty gross, IME a woodish/foliage color and very shriveled and wrinkly. The smell like dirt kinda..really subtle but recognizable scent. You can also just search google for "dried psychedelic mushrooms" for pictures btw.

From what I've gathered it's hard to say how much you should take. I could say start low (1/16th oz) and you might not get the full experience, or I could say go all out (1/8th oz) and you could be overwhelmed.

btw there's a thread for these type of questions, pretty sure its named "first time mushroom tripper" or something..

IDK. Smoking is ok but It is NOTHING like shromming IMO. The first time I smoked I was soooo paranoid and felt so uncomfortable. Granted I took several huge bongrips but.... The times I have felt most uncomfortable on drugs have all involved Cannabis as well. I have always felt way more at ease on fairly high amounts of shrooms(1/4 oz.) than getting really high.

I would say the two feeling are extremely different to me. If you wanna get more of a feel for the psychedelic experience MDMA is a better place to start IMO. MDMA, 2cb, even MDA are all pretty easy to deal with mentally in the right dose so if you are looking to prepare for more intense psychedelics they aren't a bad place to start.

shrooms

i think u may b in 4 qa nasty shock if u go firing full steam ahead into a shroom trip without even have smoked before, pace yourself:)

Please consult the Big & Dandy Mushrooms Thread also... :)

There is no doubt in my mind that it's unwise to look at this with such haste. It's almost like you want to have this over with. But I get the question, in a way it's not entirely necessary to try something lighter first but it is a smart thing to do. But one try hardly paints the picture...
If you are in a hurry to try mushrooms then forget about treating it carefully and doing it right, you might as well skip the weed. But if you want to do it better just give weed a few tries more before you proceed.
How many times? Well just start with the one time, then a second and see how well you understand what being high on weed means. Honestly it's taken me quite a few times to discover what the possible effects are, and they won't all present themselves completely the very first time you take it... I would let this depend on your gut feeling. Usually when you are 'ready' you will know it somehow and are confident that you will at the very least set yourself open to whatever the experience may be. The trip may not be spotless, but your acceptance is a premise.

Happy trails!

made the title more accurate ;)

Last edited:
thanks for the advice everyone.

in response: I know that it's going to be heavy if i just jump into psychedelics, which is why i asked. I'm planning on getting a feel for being high, and then trying mushrooms, so it's not as heavy. I'm in no hurry to do either like some of you believe, but the sooner the better.

I have read a lot into this, and i know a little bit about it. I guess you could say I know what I'm talking about, but any general advice from people more experienced than myself is apprectiated.

A bit selfishly, I'm going to say don't smoke first. The selfish reason is that I want a trip report from someone whose never been high before.

But, I wouldn't recommend not smoking just because of that. I know a lot of people who can't stand weed their first few times. Just paranoia and anxiety. Also, I don't think smoking weed will prepare you for mushrooms. they are very different. Also, I go through phases with weed. Sometimes I really like it, but other times I can't stand it. For me, it feels much dirtier than mushrooms and I wouldn't wan to go into a shroom trip expecting just an exaggerated version of that.

dude you should really get a way better feeling for weed before jumping into shrooms. getting high once or twice wont teach you too much. do it a lot so you know how to deal with a bad situation like getting caught or freaking out etc.

A bit selfishly, I'm going to say don't smoke first. The selfish reason is that I want a trip report from someone whose never been high before.

But, I wouldn't recommend not smoking just because of that. I know a lot of people who can't stand weed their first few times. Just paranoia and anxiety. Also, I don't think smoking weed will prepare you for mushrooms. they are very different. Also, I go through phases with weed. Sometimes I really like it, but other times I can't stand it. For me, it feels much dirtier than mushrooms and I wouldn't wan to go into a shroom trip expecting just an exaggerated version of that.

I totally know what you mean. I go through the same phases. ANd yea, if shrooming were like a more intense version of being high, i don't think that would be enjoyable either!!

You don't need to smoke weed to prepare for mushrooms. Nothing weed will show you will be the same as the mushrooms. Just eat 3.5 grams in a good setting with good music and enter the transcendental state of ecstasy.

i was told by a friend to smoke first just to get used to being in an altered state of mind, and that seems to make sense to me. weed seems more mellow too, so i think it would be better to start off with.

anything to prevent a bad trip is worth a try.

hmm.. it seems like a logical step, only i have found that nothing can really 'prepare' you for psychedelics - that is part of why they are so fun.. :)
i was so stoned the other night it was like a mild acid trip.. but acid is so different because it is an upper and weed is a downer.. acid (LSD) and shrooms are a very similar experience by the way..
you must be pretty young not to have smoked weed at all.. i first took acid at 15 and it was pretty difficult to handle, but i always ended up having a good time..
i would maybe take a small amount of them at first (a couple chunks) - then about 2 hours later you can take more if you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole.. ;)

i would maybe take a small amount of them at first (a couple chunks) - then about 2 hours later you can take more if you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole.. ;)

you are officially awesome. alice in wonderland reference. after getting used to them, my friend and i are going to watch alice in wonderland on shrooms.

i was so stoned the other night it was like a mild acid trip.. but acid is so different because it is an upper and weed is a downer.. acid (LSD) and shrooms are a very similar experience by the way..

i have heard that shrooms and acid are much different from weed. also heard that the two psychedelics are very similar. my mom has done shrooms and she told me it was a very peaceful experience. she's never done acid though.

you must be pretty young not to have smoked weed at all.. i first took acid at 15 and it was pretty difficult to handle, but i always ended up having a good time..

yeah man i'm 14 :p

You can have a complete anxiety attack on weed but still really enjoy psychedelics, so it's not really a matter of degree -- they are very different experiences. However, if you are very interested in expanding your mind via drugs, grass is a safer place to start. Personally I didn't smoke grass until several years after my first experiences with mushrooms and other psychedelics, because of personal bias. I don't think it negatively affected me at all, I use weed for completely different reasons than mushrooms, acid, etc. Psychedelic experience is about as subjective as it can get, and you just need to feel like you're ready and willing to face up to the heights and depths of your own mind.

I think that it would be a good idea to be experienced with a different mindset and thought processes, but smoking will not prepare you for or be neccesary for a good shroom trip. Read up and best of luck! Also, it would be good to find a friend who knows the ropes so you don't get ripped off on shrooms or make any avoidable mistakes.