• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trying to switch to sub, but no WD after 36+ hrs

Hey everyone,

So it's been trying to stabilize myself with subs and it just didn't work. I actually felt worse than I did the first few days off Fent. It wasn't precp withdrawal, just a feeling of 'needing more medicine'. I went up all the way to 12 mg subs and nothing good came out of it. Symptoms: extreme hot/cold flashes, depression, restlessness, anxiety. I don't know if I'm allergic to them or something... but they definitely did not agree with my body and DEFINITELY did not relieve all of the WDs.

I'm not proud of it but I broke down and went to score some H today (was barely able to get to the guy). I shot almost .75 g so far and don't feel high AT ALL, just feeling slightly better than I did with that sub nightmare. Could it be that the .75g was a waste because it's only been 6 hours since my last sub dose? How long do people usually need to wait?

As sad as it sounds, my plan is to go back to 'normal' (being an opiate addict) for a couple of weeks and then doing a rapid methadone taper when i get my hands on some (40 mg to start, 5 mg taper per day.. worked for me in the past)

With such a high tolerance it can take at least two weeks to stabilize on Suboxone. I remember I switched to sub from done after waiting 94 hours from my last 30 mg dose of done. It took over 10 days for the WD symptoms to subside but after that I felt fine. I actually felt better then I had before. Feeling under medicated and having mild WD's for the first week is normal. It's why taking just 20% of your averaged daily dose will not hold most people with a long term high opiate tolerance. You have to stick it out if you can in the future. It will take over 72 hours to be able to feel a full agonist properly. If you taper down to a lower dose before switching to sub your transitionary under medicated period will be much shorter.

Last edited:
Thanks Prescottdave. That makes sense. I just couldn't handle it without knowing what to expect. I will not stop trying though

A question for everyone: If I consumed a total of 16mg of subutex over the last 24 hours, how long do i have to wait to feel any opiates??

All good blue, honestly it could be best for you to stabilise on H, try not to get high treat the H like a maintenance drug to clear up your fent habit and then yes you should still try Suboxone once you get your H down a bit oh and yeah you may need 48+hrs after your last sub dose to feel most of that Heroin.

Try not to return to Fentanyl, it's too aggressive to jump from to sub for you at this time, you need longer acting so H it is, gosh if you can get some oxycodone to jump to next then try that. I think it will be a minimum of 4 weeks prepping yourself for another transition to Suboxone. And your symptoms didn't sound like allergy at all.....i think you were just Fent sick cos your habit was Fent sickMan.Damn.

Thanks Prescottdave. That makes sense. I just couldn't handle it without knowing what to expect. I will not stop trying though

A question for everyone: If I consumed a total of 16mg of subutex over the last 24 hours, how long do i have to wait to feel any opiates??
Over 72 hours and even longer based on the half life of buprenorphine. This is to properly feel them and to even feel something at least 24 hours. If you can get some type of longer acting opiate and taper way down you could easily make the switch. If you act now it will be much smoother instead of going back to your regular using patterns. You have to be stabilized at about 30 mg of methadone or 60 mg of oxy per the guild lines used for switching people from methadone. If you do plan on using before the 72 hours be carful when trying to power through the bupe. This is a time when people are more likely to overdose.

All good blue, honestly it could be best for you to stabilise on H, try not to get high treat the H like a maintenance drug to clear up your fent habit and then yes you should still try Suboxone once you get your H down a bit oh and yeah you may need 48+hrs after your last sub dose to feel most of that Heroin.

Try not to return to Fentanyl, it's too aggressive to jump from to sub for you at this time, you need longer acting so H it is, gosh if you can get some oxycodone to jump to next then try that. I think it will be a minimum of 4 weeks prepping yourself for another transition to Suboxone. And your symptoms didn't sound like allergy at all.....i think you were just Fent sick cos your habit was Fent sickMan.Damn.

Over 72 hours and even longer based on the half life of buprenorphine. This is to properly feel them and to even feel something at least 24 hours. If you can get some type of longer acting opiate and taper way down you could easily make the switch. If you act now it will be much smoother instead of going back to your regular using patterns. You have to be stabilized at about 30 mg of methadone or 60 mg of oxy per the guild lines used for switching people from methadone. If you do plan on using before the 72 hours be carful when trying to power through the bupe. This is a time when people are more likely to overdose.
Thank you both.

Prescottdave, how is an overdose possible if my receptors are blocked by the bupe? Are the respiratory symptoms still there, just not the high/analgesia?