• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to stop using stimulants

I have a strong feeling that the problem resides in the approach itself and not in the object being approached. A bit in the same way a sex addict doesn't need to cure his desire for women, because it's perfectly normal for men to desire women. He only needs to cure his approach to women. In the same way, a drug addict's problem is not his desire for drugs. The problem resides in how you approach drugs/women. It is in the approach. It's all about how you do it.

I think both are issues.

I was talking to a friend of mine about my drug use, and he gave interesting advice. He said that I shouldn't use drugs as a way to get out of despair, but that intoxication can only be positive if used when already happy - otherwise it becomes a cycle of self-medication that is nearly impossible to break on one's own. I thought that was interesting. What do you think of that?

I think both are issues.

I was talking to a friend of mine about my drug use, and he gave interesting advice. He said that I shouldn't use drugs as a way to get out of despair, but that intoxication can only be positive if used when already happy - otherwise it becomes a cycle of self-medication that is nearly impossible to break on one's own. I thought that was interesting. What do you think of that?

He's right in the sense that drugs are not a solution to problems. When you have problems in your life you need to give your best to solve them and become better off, so it's time for massive action, not passive drug use. It's good advice actually. It's teaching you to be proactive about solving problems and being on top of things. If you use drugs to escape problems/reality, the damage does not come from drugs, it comes from the lack of action. Things go from bad to worst, then you need even more drugs, but the lack of action was the culprit all along, it's what got you into shit. Because you did nothing about it.

He's right in the sense that drugs are not a solution to problems. When you have problems in your life you need to give your best to solve them and become better off, so it's time for massive action, not passive drug use. It's good advice actually. It's teaching you to be proactive about solving problems and being on top of things. If you use drugs to escape problems/reality, the damage does not come from drugs, it comes from the lack of action. Things go from bad to worst, then you need even more drugs, but the lack of action was the culprit all along, it's what got you into shit. Because you did nothing about it.

He's a smart guy lol.

I understand it's the lack of action. Interestingly enough, though, stimulants have helped me boost my confidence to address problems. But, I don't want them to become the only way for me to do that.

He's a smart guy lol.

I understand it's the lack of action. Interestingly enough, though, stimulants have helped me boost my confidence to address problems. But, I don't want them to become the only way for me to do that.

They not gona become anything, stimulants are stimulants. You just gotta turn that energy into massive action instead of sexual pleasure or hanging out in clubs. Becoming your only way...just get your condo and your luxury vehicle and worry about that later. That's the least of your worries. Your only way...aren't you happy you found a way tho? Just get to work and stop complaining.

They not gona become anything, stimulants are stimulants. You just gotta turn that energy into massive action instead of sexual pleasure or hanging out in clubs. Becoming your only way...just get your condo and your luxury vehicle and worry about that later. That's the least of your worries. Your only way...aren't you happy you found a way tho? Just get to work and stop complaining.

I disagree. Relying on drugs for anything is, from my point of view, a bad road to go down.

I disagree. Relying on drugs for anything is, from my point of view, a bad road to go down.
Substances (like stimulants) give me reason to live. Best decision I ever made. Significantly boosted my life. It's a tool . Like driving a car, why walk 5 miles to shopping center? Well, I guess maybe some people don't want to rely on cars. Sure, you can take the buse or 45 minute walk to the shopping center. Or you can just drive the car. Lol

Last edited:
OP, you have the same problem as any other addict. There's no magical advice anyone of us can give that'll magically make your desire for drugs to vanish. It comes down to your personal will power and reasoning for quitting. Good luck though!

.. yeah maybe the acute phase, however the addiction for heroin can be there for the rest of one's life..

i may be wrong, and if so, I apologize. But if that was in reference to what I was speaking about, you are very much correct, sir. If you were referencing me, I was more so talking about the first signs of relief, which even in its early stage, any relief is welcomed with open arms.
As for the addiction lasting the rest of a person's life, and you may disagree (which you have every right to), but I see that with any drug. We are never supposed to, but the romanticization of the wonderful, lovely effects we experience when first starting to use, anything, can stray with a person for a very long time. I hate stimulants, for there is no more desirable effects it brings me, just pure negativity. Yet I find myself going back to it for that immediate gratification I once loved. I regret it every time, but (and I can't speak for anyone else) the conditioning I inadvertently implanted, that has not gone away, and may never go away. I find myself missing these things that ruined my life, knowing how absurd that is. I guess in time we learn to start enjoying life to a point that going in the opposite direction, regardless of the romanticizimg, seems unworthy to a point that it becomes nothing more than fleeting cravings that last less and less over a period of time.

Substances (like stimulants) give me reason to live. Best decision I ever made. Significantly boosted my life. It's a tool . Like driving a car, why walk 5 miles to shopping center? Well, I guess maybe some people don't want to rely on cars. Sure, you can take the buse or 45 minute walk to the shopping center. Or you can just drive the car. Lol

The most fierce drug opponents I have met are baby boomers who never needed drugs to go about their day. The truth is their generation had nothing. Our generation especially today's teenagers are bombarded with new technology, iPads, IPhones, Pokemons, cartoons, movies in Blue Ray, 3D etc. So no wonder our generation is no longer processing math classes. Just compare what a videogame screenshot looks like compared to a picture of a math classroom. First of all, the game is colorful and the figures/writing is easy to read. The math class, the teacher writes on the blackboard with chalk, hand writing that you really need to make an effort to even notice! Reading it is even a bigger effort. So our generation will need top notch stimulants, and I'm not talking about Straterra, I'm talking about methamphetamine and dextroamphetamine.

And I tell them straight forward: At this rate, nobody will assure your retirement. I ask them, do you want to be left out on the streets at the age of 76 because the government can't pay your monthly retirement? Begging for money? Because it's what is going to happen. If you keep denying our generation the drugs that they need in order to have a job and insure there is money for them to retire with, they will be out on the streets, in the depths of their old age. There is no money! Who is going to pay for their retirement? So they won't have a choice. Wether they want it or not they will have to put their prejudices against drugs on the side and proceed with what is required to ensure continuation of our society.

20 year olds playing videogames all day long in their mom's basement instead of working will not ensure their retirement. They need those drugs, and society will give them those drugs or else they will starve on a street corner at the age of 76 until they die. And I think they deserve better. I think they deserve appreciation for what they did and for their hard work. They deserve to have a place to live without having to do a reverse mortgage to pay their bills and eat, they deserve to afford their medication when they are sick. They deserve those decent living conditions to appreciate the world for what they have left to live and give us a proper good bye.

And I also think that today's teachers should get off their lazy asses and learn how to make flash/powerpoint presentations with visible fonts and animations. No more writing on the board. If you want to show your calculations, sorry, you have to type it on the screen, in bright green system font on a black background, you have to make it legible, you have to give it the time of day to facilitate learning. This is not the 1800s where you write on the board with chalk. It's retarded and they shouldn't be allowed to torture today's students like that. No one should make an effort to read what you write. No one.

Last edited:
I like your style Ksa :) I don't feel good about giving stims to kids or being overly laze fare with prescribing young, still developing children, but I'm also very unhappy with the state of public education where I live in the states. I think you arguments work better for college age kids tbh, but I'm also no doctor. And some kids undeniably need meds to have fulfilling lives. It all just makes me very uncomfortable given my own experiences being medicated as a child.

I like your style Ksa :) I don't feel good about giving stims to kids or being overly laze fare with prescribing young, still developing children, but I'm also very unhappy with the state of public education where I live in the states. I think you arguments work better for college age kids tbh, but I'm also no doctor. And some kids undeniably need meds to have fulfilling lives. It all just makes me very uncomfortable given my own experiences being medicated as a child.

Thanks tooth. Ya I am really disappointed with how education works today. They say kids can't focus in class because videogames are addictive. Before even considering that, you just look at the game, the figures, the messages and the text is written with a really nice, visible font, whether it's how much ammo you have left or a chat window, it's easy to read and it relaxes the eye, it looks really nice. When a teacher writes on a board, it looks like shit, it's handwriting you can't decipher, you have a hard time reading the white chalk writing on top of the chalk cloud the teacher left on the board from when he wiped it off with his dirty eraser. It's a mess. Sure games can be addictive, but first of all it is clear, well made and it looks really nice...it's the class that is a total mess. And it's unacceptable.

^ The truth is you can simply correct your abuse without stopping. You just need to correct your use so that the prescription lasts until the next refill. If you can do that you're good. Like, if one day you use the dose for 3 days, then stop for 2 days, then you repeat, technically you don't have a problem. The problem occurs when your prescription runs out early, and then earlier, and earlier. Next thing you know, in 1 week you've blown 2 months worth of pills. That's a problem, and it can be corrected, by yourself without help nor intervention.

I don't have any experience with stimulants, but I do have experience with narcotics. I have a prescription that I fill every 28 days, and I don't run out early. A person can absolutely make their prescription last until the refill and still have a problem. For some of us, the problem comes from the use itself and how that use impacts our everyday lives.

Just adding another perspective.

- VE

I don't know if anyone else had the same experience, but SWIM was able to quit METH through the use of L-Tyrosine.

SWIM went from weed-ecstacy-cocaine-meth in the span of 3 years. But SWIM was a meth addict for 10 months. SWIM's first 3 months was almost weekly(oral/snorting), until SWIM learned to smoke it, and did it almost every other day until SWIM realized he's been addicted for 10 months. SWIM started using it for exams, projects and papers, until SWIM "needed" it for tiny tests, homeworks, basic studying, and later on SWIM just needed it in general (to get up in the morning). SWIM's brain was f*cked. SWIM wasnt productive anymore like he was at the beginning. Meth was on SWIM's mind EVERY SINGLE DAY. So that was SWIM's addiction. SWIM is very young mind you(19 years old now).

NOTE: Swim had depression even before he started doing drugs.

SWIM is now 3 months sober, and three months feels like three years if you are an addict. SWIM feels like meth is way far behind him, not even looking back. SWIM still remembers how SWIM felt as an addict and couldn't even empathize anymore (like, "ew that was me?"). SWIM may sound overconfident but SWIM can tell you that he looks at meth with disgust now. SWIM isnt "fighting" to stay sober, SWIM is actually embracing and loving soberiety.

One day SWIM discovered L-Tyrosine, at first SWIM used it to try to boost my meth high and learned to use it for comedowns. All of a sudden, SWIM's addiction weakened, and with a little bit(literally not even a lot) of willpower, SWIM was able to quit it all together. NO CRAVING, no nothing. SWIM felt weird shifting from an addict to suddenly not even wanting to do meth anymore. SWIM didn't even have to go through withdrawal or anything.

SWIM takes 1500mg of L-tyrosine(its SWIM's tested perfect dose for SWIM) daily first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This is because if their are any other amino acids in your blood, it can bond with them and not be able to cross the so called "blood brain barrier" and become dopamine(do your own research on that). But with all that dopamine produced, u need something to RELEASE it (in my experience), so SWIM started drinking coffee and tea, SWIM also still smokes cigarettes. Tyrosine makes SWIM feel content (happy) like meth does (on a lower scale of course), but without the palpitations and vasoconstriction and dehydration that meth gives SWIM. Basically, for SWIM, tyrosine is kinda like meth that doesn't destroy your body. It keeps your dopamine receptors at bay SWIM guesses (to keep you from looking for drugs).

Tyrosine gives SWIM the will to do other things besides drugs, like to socialize, study, read, meditate, work out, and do other recreational activities. When SWIM was doing meth, the only thing on SWIM's mind was trying to physically survive (eat, sleep, manage finances, do meth). SWIM was in a horrible place and didn't even feel it because of meth's euphoria. Only when SWIM was sober did he realize where he was, and that meth was gonna bring SWIM down very soon (was losing money, failing subjects, losing friends). Im a student in one of the top universities in my country, so I had A LOT to lose.

After 2-3 weeks sober, SWIM knew he had to start doing normal people sh*t, or else SWIM would have no ladder to climb and could potentially look back to drugs. So SWIM started forcing himself to talk to people and make new friends(not easy as a former meth addict). SWIM was having severe social anxiety and was noticeably awkward around people. But SWIM had the will to improve his life and kept trying despite the difficulty. Now SWIM feels like he is on the right path again. Body is back to recovering, so as his social life, finances, and interest in this world.

Not sure if SWIM is sober, or just shifted his addiction to L-tyrosine.

STRESS IS NORMAL, it keeps you doing what you have to do. Living without stress takes away the excitement in life. Normal people feel depressed, anxious, and stressed, not just you. You must embrace these negative emotions the same way you embrace positive ones. Every time you feel stressed, just think, at least im not doing meth anymore. When bad sh*t happens in life, you have to take it. When you fail, go get sad! You can't be happy all the time, thats ignorance. When you feel like sh*t because your'e not on drugs, shift it to feeling like shit because of life problems. Don't fix it with drugs, just FIX IT.

TLDR' SWIM was addicted to meth for 10 months and L-tyrosine became his alternative. Technically, SWIM is sober. AND SO CAN YOU!

We don't use SWIM here, it provides you no legal protections and is annoying as hell, though I understand it is etiquette on other forums. Please review BLUA and the BL Tips.

Thank you.