• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to stop using stimulants

sydh001

Greenlighter
I've had a prescription to methylphenidate for a while and I've been using it recreationally over the past month. But my problem is that once I start, I never want to stop getting high. I've used ritalin, tried to beat the time-release mechanism for concerta, I've gotten adderall, etc. Any stimulant I can get my hands on, I will use.

So I'm trying to stop before I develop a deeply rooted habit, but I'm already attracted to the high too much. Basically, I want to cut down on my stimulant use while occasionally using drugs...but I'm not very confident in myself.

Any advice?

Im probably not the best example for staying sober dude because I've just started using again and realise this may sound hypocritical, but anyway there was a time not all that long ago when I started using stimulants, I started with just popping dexxies and very quickly I was hoovering up 40mg slow release ritalins like Charlie Sheen on a holiday to Columbia.... which slowly advanced to me sucking on the meth pipe and now I spend my days working a bullshit deadend job earning barely enough to support myself and habit. The only thing that brings me joy in sober life is walking to the hospital to get fresh fits to bang my next shot. Its a slippery slope and I hate to say it but I think you've definitely got the taste for it and it only leads to the above or more often much worse. Choose wisely.

I've had a prescription to methylphenidate for a while and I've been using it recreationally over the past month. But my problem is that once I start, I never want to stop getting high. I've used ritalin, tried to beat the time-release mechanism for concerta, I've gotten adderall, etc. Any stimulant I can get my hands on, I will use.

So I'm trying to stop before I develop a deeply rooted habit, but I'm already attracted to the high too much. Basically, I want to cut down on my stimulant use while occasionally using drugs...but I'm not very confident in myself.

Any advice?
That's the problem all drug addicts have. It's not something unique to stimulants.

You start takin a drug, and then for whatever reason it meets some sort of need, and you take it more and more. Eventually you'll become addicted.

Most people in your position are not able to use just infrequently. It's extremely difficult once they have that mindset/personality/pre-disposition.

Once I take stimulants I find it hard to stop because I feel so fuckin lazy and tired. Anyways I haven't touched vyvanse for a month and I still feel lazy and everything is a pain in the ass so I gotta use other stuff to get me thru the day now (stims give me the crazies after a few sleepless nights lol) if I don't use any substances everything sucks I won't even brush my teeth for days

If your are open minded, I suggest using Psilocybin mushrooms more than 10 times then try LSD (THAT DOES NOT TASTE BITTER) like 5-6 times. After that my guess is that you will be able to have more power on your actions and will be able to tapper off your recreational drug use. Drugs arent for recreational reasons, NEVER, thats just a lie every drug users tell themselves. Try to find the reason of your use and once you fix that the only thing left is physical dependance that can easily be treated by slowly tappering off the dose.

Psychedelics saved me from downers (I have the opposite problem), but it can easily get rid of stimulant use when used correctly, to go deep into yourself and try to find the reason of your addiction and KILL IT.

I hope you find peace and wish you good luck, whatever you do.

Yeah I feel your pain OP. I am not only hooked on stimulants like Adderall and coke, but also addicted to bupe and benzos. I have tried so many times to stop using coke but never can do it for too long. the longest I have gone after a binge of using it daily for over 2 years was a year with no stimulants. I lost my job and didn't find another one for nearly a year. When I lost my job I lost my income and wasn't able to find any money so I was forced to stop. then when I started getting money again I fell off on that shit and still do it. I have been doing coke both powder and hard for like 6 years off and on and its all in your head but its a very powerful mental addiction. I now take Adderall for my adhd, and well because I also love that feeling! I may never be able to fully commit to getting off stims, and I will probably be stuck in a cycle of using bupe and if not bupe any full agonist opiate I can get as well as benzos too for a very long time! I have come to accept I am an addict and try to be happy with my life even though it isn't perfect and just think positive. If you are just addicted to stims and nothing else, it beats being addicted to 3 different things like me, but I still feel you on how hard it is to make your brain forget about stimulants. it sucks.

to go deep into yourself and try to find the reason of your addiction and KILL IT.

I relate in a special way to substance users because, even-though they can't phrase it in words like I can, they can feel that something is wrong with the world. For example, a hard working white collar who worked hard for 25 years to acquire a home, and loses it in a flooding, is actually losing his entire life, because his life was all about getting that house. Is that not worst then Heroin withdrawal? Heroin withdrawal goes away after a week, the turmoil and regrets of such a loss can last the entire life. What is there to envy about this materialistic/family centered, hoarding, achievement based lifestyle that we are missing out on?

Bluelighters grew up watching their parents thinking, dear God! I can't end up like them, I just can't. Were we selfish for thinking that? Yes. We thought our parents were suffering for having their life and we said nothing. So what? What matters is that we were not impressed with their lives. They were not impressed with their lives either, the yelling, the crying, the upset...so how the fuck could WE be? How can we say "I wana grow up to be like mom or like dad" when the very thought of that gives you either a gag reflex or scares you to death? The truth is we hate their way of life, we hate the boredom of it and we hate how they pretend to have it all.

You're working hard to own things that end up owning you because without them your life makes no sense, since you dedicated your life to acquire them. You get a family, have children who can't tolerate you, who have adolescent crisis yelling at how much they hate you, you may get a birthday party or BBQ here or there, attend a marriage or a family party and that's about it. Really? Is this it? We are all here, and you are here on this site, on Bluelight forum, because WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED WITH THAT LIFE. We don't accept the idea that, this is it. This can't be it. There has to be more. We FELT there is more. That's the true reason for the addiction.

We're going to do what? Go back to a standard shit life saying "I overcame my addiction" and pretend we are now living happily ever after? That's bullshit. You know it's bullshit, you know we won't be happier...how can we be happy? With what? The most that it can ever be, is the small ego satisfaction of having achieved something and being consistent with it, which translates into a substance amount barely visible on the head of a pin! Nothing at all. An illusion of happiness. Ok check, do this, next time your co-worker tells you "I had a great time at a BBQ this Saturday" start probing it:

"what did you enjoy about your BBQ?" "socializing with your buddies, what did you enjoy about that? Any interesting topics you guys discussed?" "what makes you say you had a great time?" As you are probing their affirmation, you find out more and more that there's nothing there. You find out that the only reason they said they had a great time, was because they had to say something to break their silence since people don't perceive well if you just stand there in a group of people and say nothing, or to make themselves feel important that they can afford to go home and party, that they have "that life" and can afford "these things", and when you scratch the surface, you're like fuck, there's nothing there. They felt fuckall. Nothing at all. They bounce like testicles in a bucket without pleasure their entire life, they just say it to meet social standards and what they call fun is actually obligation.

But everybody needs to smile. They gotta keep a big flat smile on their faces otherwise people will say "jees, that guy, he never smiles!" so ya, big flat smile, everyone plays pretend, under the surface is SSRIs, family problems, yelling, disappointments, craving without obtaining and thirst without cold water and when you expect the cold water the most, a warm salty slurry hits you in the face. No pain no gain, what is there to love about a pain worshiping society, so that you can come to the conclusion that if you use a substance, you have a problem, because hey! Look at all the good stuff you're missing on!? See what I mean?

Last edited:
the good news is unlike opiates or benzos, you can pretty much just stop using stimulants. you might feel off for a few days, but thats it.

@Ksa Yeah, I have no faith in the life most people force themselves into either.

You want the stimulant for the right reason, be as good as you are sober and natural, and have a pill to pop for special occasions. Just know its never gonna feel that great until you break.

I relate in a special way to substance users because, even-though they can't phrase it in words like I can, they can feel that something is wrong with the world. For example, a hard working white collar who worked hard for 25 years to acquire a home, and loses it in a flooding, is actually losing his entire life, because his life was all about getting that house. Is that not worst then Heroin withdrawal? Heroin withdrawal goes away after a week, the turmoil and regrets of such a loss can last the entire life. What is there to envy about this materialistic/family centered, hoarding, achievement based lifestyle that we are missing out on?

Bluelighters grew up watching their parents thinking, dear God! I can't end up like them, I just can't. Were we selfish for thinking that? Yes. We thought our parents were suffering for having their life and we said nothing. So what? What matters is that we were not impressed with their lives. They were not impressed with their lives either, the yelling, the crying, the upset...so how the fuck could WE be? How can we say "I wana grow up to be like mom or like dad" when the very thought of that gives you either a gag reflex or scares you to death? The truth is we hate their way of life, we hate the boredom of it and we hate how they pretend to have it all.

You're working hard to own things that end up owning you because without them your life makes no sense, since you dedicated your life to acquire them. You get a family, have children who can't tolerate you, who have adolescent crisis yelling at how much they hate you, you may get a birthday party or BBQ here or there, attend a marriage or a family party and that's about it. Really? Is this it? We are all here, and you are here on this site, on Bluelight forum, because WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED WITH THAT LIFE. We don't accept the idea that, this is it. This can't be it. There has to be more. We FELT there is more. That's the true reason for the addiction.

We're going to do what? Go back to a standard shit life saying "I overcame my addiction" and pretend we are now living happily ever after? That's bullshit. You know it's bullshit, you know we won't be happier...how can we be happy? With what? The most that it can ever be, is the small ego satisfaction of having achieved something and being consistent with it, which translates into a substance amount barely visible on the head of a pin! Nothing at all. An illusion of happiness. Ok check, do this, next time your co-worker tells you "I had a great time at a BBQ this Saturday" start probing it:

"what did you enjoy about your BBQ?" "socializing with your buddies, what did you enjoy about that? Any interesting topics you guys discussed?" "what makes you say you had a great time?" As you are probing their affirmation, you find out more and more that there's nothing there. You find out that the only reason they said they had a great time, was because they had to say something to break their silence since people don't perceive well if you just stand there in a group of people and say nothing, or to make themselves feel important that they can afford to go home and party, that they have "that life" and can afford "these things", and when you scratch the surface, you're like fuck, there's nothing there. They felt fuckall. Nothing at all. They bounce like testicles in a bucket without pleasure their entire life, they just say it to meet social standards and what they call fun is actually obligation.

But everybody needs to smile. They gotta keep a big flat smile on their faces otherwise people will say "jees, that guy, he never smiles!" so ya, big flat smile, everyone plays pretend, under the surface is SSRIs, family problems, yelling, disappointments, craving without obtaining and thirst without cold water and when you expect the cold water the most, a warm salty slurry hits you in the face. No pain no gain, what is there to love about a pain worshiping society, so that you can come to the conclusion that if you use a substance, you have a problem, because hey! Look at all the good stuff you're missing on!? See what I mean?
Best post!

A few years ago I had a vicious addiction to mdpv. I used nonstop for almost three years until my health, both physical and mental, declined to the point where I really needed to stop.

I struggled greatly while trying to quit. I wanted so badly to keep using but simply could not. I tried many times just to use occasionally instead of using nonstop daily but this never worked for me. If I had mdpv in my possession I would use it nonstop until what I had was gone, then I'd get more.

My friends and family noticed I was struggling greatly. The best advice I was given during this time was "just stop". At the time this advice just pissed me of, seemed impossible and was something I simply didn't want to do. In retrospect it was the best advice... It's just a shame it took me so long to accept the inevitable and finally "just stop" for good.

My advice is to just stop using. Occasional usage of stims is harder for some then others to keep under control. If you find it difficult to keep your usage sporadic and responsible then I highly advice you to stay away completely, otherwise, things may get out of control.

Last edited:
^ The truth is you can simply correct your abuse without stopping. You just need to correct your use so that the prescription lasts until the next refill. If you can do that you're good. Like, if one day you use the dose for 3 days, then stop for 2 days, then you repeat, technically you don't have a problem. The problem occurs when your prescription runs out early, and then earlier, and earlier. Next thing you know, in 1 week you've blown 2 months worth of pills. That's a problem, and it can be corrected, by yourself without help nor intervention. You just need to compare:

1) What have I won during that week of abuse?

vs.

2) What have I lost during the remaining 7 weeks.

Sometimes, the answer to the second question is...nothing at all. Then again you might not have a problem. And if you don't have a problem, then what's the problem? And if you do then, what's the problem preventing you from correcting it and having a better life? In Eastern Europe we have an expression "you got bored with your well-being" sometimes it's what is happening. People think they have a problem but in fact they don't.

If your are open minded, I suggest using Psilocybin mushrooms more than 10 times then try LSD (THAT DOES NOT TASTE BITTER) like 5-6 times. After that my guess is that you will be able to have more power on your actions and will be able to tapper off your recreational drug use. Drugs arent for recreational reasons, NEVER, thats just a lie every drug users tell themselves. Try to find the reason of your use and once you fix that the only thing left is physical dependance that can easily be treated by slowly tappering off the dose.

Psychedelics saved me from downers (I have the opposite problem), but it can easily get rid of stimulant use when used correctly, to go deep into yourself and try to find the reason of your addiction and KILL IT.

I hope you find peace and wish you good luck, whatever you do.

Im not sure why 10 mushroom trips and 5 acid trips are the magic number and why drugs cannot be recreational. Ive tripped more than 5 times on acid recently and take stims around the clock. You stop when either you are smart enough to realize the harm outweighs the good or you simply grow tired of it.

Methylphenidate's and Substituted Amphetamines, oh man. I feel your pain. I will suggest finding whether you want pure sobriety from stimulants, or a break. There is one thing I can promise, though: You do these long enough, steadily increasing your dosage, it will turn real ugly. When I went through reverse tolerance via Adderall, I went from 400-700mgs a day to, almost overnight, being incapable of taking 5mgs without it seeming like the whole bottle.
The thing with stimulants, pharmaceutical ones especially, is if there is an addiction, there will ALWAY be a love/hate relationship. I find myself getting spun out and having an awful time, everytime, trying desperately to recreate what I once had with them. Just understand, if you get to a point, I don't care if it's not physically addicting, the comedown and withdrawals are awful. When I used to shoot up dope, I knew if I locked myself in my basement, I had to just make it to day 6. Then it would get better. Stimulants may not be anywhere near heroin withdrawals, at all, but the terrible isolation and inability to simply enjoy anyone or anything, that can last for much, much longer.
If you are still having fun and receiving euphoria, I'd say this is a good time to slow down and/or stop. There is a rabbit hole waiting somewhere down there.

the good news is unlike opiates or benzos, you can pretty much just stop using stimulants. you might feel off for a few days, but thats it.
Yep. KSA, made a interesting point also. Heck, good posts all around.

OP, if you are stuck on stims, that's a big sign to give them a rest. That doesn't mean you can never use them again or your permanently addicted, but speaking for myself, I learned sometimes stopping and learning what I was doing incorrectly or whatever, worked.

These posts all have their points.

Last edited:
Yep. KSA, made a interesting point also. Heck, good posts all around.

OP, if you are stuck on stims, that's a big sign to give them a rest. That doesn't mean you can never use them again or your permanently addicted, but speaking for myself, I learned sometimes stopping and learning what I was doing incorrectly or whatever, worked.

These posts all have their points.

That's fair.

OP, you have the same problem as any other addict. There's no magical advice anyone of us can give that'll magically make your desire for drugs to vanish. It comes down to your personal will power and reasoning for quitting. Good luck though!

Heroin withdrawal goes away after a week
.. yeah maybe the acute phase, however the addiction for heroin can be there for the rest of one's life..

OP, you have the same problem as any other addict. There's no magical advice anyone of us can give that'll magically make your desire for drugs to vanish. It comes down to your personal will power and reasoning for quitting. Good luck though!

It's just hard for me. I've already used stimulants since making this post, and it was the last of what I had. On the bright side, it should take some time before I get more.

Also, my tolerance is low. I'm still using smaller doses, and I've only gone a bit crazy with it twice.

I have a strong feeling that the problem resides in the approach itself and not in the object being approached. A bit in the same way a sex addict doesn't need to cure his desire for women, because it's perfectly normal for men to desire women. He only needs to cure his approach to women. In the same way, a drug addict's problem is not his desire for drugs. The problem resides in how you approach drugs/women. It is in the approach. It's all about how you do it.