• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to go off sleeping pills

While I’m all for abstinence and tapering (which is something you’re going to have to do given the period of time you’ve been using these things) may I ask why you now deem it necessary to stop using them? From your description we’re not talking about abuse for recreational purposes. And I know of more than a few that cannot sleep without taking the same or similar and have been doing the same for decades. Not saying it’s an ideal situation. But don’t go looking for problems either. There is no stigma attached to this. Point is: could just be something that is.

Unless it’s adversely affecting your life and wellbeing: not sure it’s something I’d be concerned about. Nor would I go substituting with something else and run the risk of far worse side effects or possible physical addiction. Unless with even taking them you are no longer able to sleep and a higher dosage is the remedy. That’s possibly where the dangerous territory starts.

The above all being said: if you are resolute then you’re going to have taper off slowly from Xanax (and Professor Ashton’s work and manual are the go to reference no question) (although she too would have you substitute Xanax, or Alprazolam, with something else and which I personally don’t agree with doing but that’s just me and based on my own experience). Zolpidem: probably wise to leave for now i.e. certainly the lesser of two evils anyway.

Nothing worse than not being able to sleep though. That will drive you insane long before these medications that’s for sure. Unfortunately though: it’s questionable as to whether or not it is real sleep that you’re getting especially with Xanax. Zolpidem: debatable because of its pharmacological action i.e. supposed to initiate sleep within three hours or so and let your body take over from there.

Put another way: I personally would rather put up with the inevitable and slight hangover in the morning and that only lasts for an hour or so maybe than no sleep.
Thank you for this. Ive been on some sort of benzos since 1995 and I am terrified of the withdrawl. Reading your comment for some reason put me at ease that Im still OK if I continue my 2mg/day Ativan dose for the rest of my life. So, thanks <3