• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to go off sleeping pills

Teena339

Greenlighter
Greetings to everyone! I've been on sleeping pills and Xanax for almost 20 years due to a history of trauma. I'm trying here and there to not take them and it looks like my body lost the ability to go to sleep naturally. Not a fun thought and I probably need to go through a miserable period, so I'm looking at the posts here for some insights. Nice to meet you all.

Yup, I have prescriptions for both Alprazolam .5 and Zolpidem 6.25. On a good night I only take one or the other (either 1 or 2 Xanax pills).

OK, 20 years is a long time so you developed a high tolerance for xanax. You can't immediately quit taking it because of the dreaded withdrawal symptoms and you can most certainly have seizures which is very dangerous.
I would suggest tapering/ weaning off gradually.

Are you familiar with Professor Heather Ashton's work? If not, I suggest starting here:

I wish you all the luck and and strength throughout your journey 🙂

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to Bluelight @Teena339 !

I'm gunna shoot this over to Health and Recovery where you'll likely get more answers, although looks like you're already getting some help from essentialle123.

Peace!

Thank so much! Not familiar with Dr Ashton yet, thank you for the link.

Hi @Teena339
Welcome to Bluelight!

Have you tried more natural sleep aids like Melatonin? I have a nice oil defuse and put Eucalyptus oil in it around my bed time because it really does help promote sleep. (they also make blends and such that are more for sleep also).

20 years huh? That's quite a run! Are you planning to taper off with something else, perhaps diazepam? Ultimately 0.5-1 mgs of Xanax a night isn't much really, but 20 years of consistent use is a pretty long time and maybe it'd make the transition easier

Thank so much! Not familiar with Dr Ashton yet, thank you for the link.
You're welcome! Professor Ashton was an expert in Benzodiazepines and psychiatric drugs.
You will find a wealth of useful information on benzo.org.uk.

20 years huh? That's quite a run! Are you planning to taper off with something else, perhaps diazepam? Ultimately 0.5-1 mgs of Xanax a night isn't much really, but 20 years of consistent use is a pretty long time and maybe it'd make the transition easier
Thank you. I've taken Xanax for about 10 years I think, I took something else before that was stronger but eventually I didn't need something that strong. Still a run!

I would speak to your doctor to get a proper tapering plan to ensure you cut down safely and don't cause yourself unnecessary pain.

Unfortunately you are likely going to have to deal with some pretty brutal insomnia. I spent like 16 years not being able to sleep naturally for one reason or another and when I got to rehab it was a nightmare. For me it took about 4 months until I was routinely able to get to, and stay, asleep, but the initial really painful bit was mercifully short.

Exercise as much as you can and get a proper bed time routine. I now read until I basically can't keep my eyes open, then turn the light out and i'm out. I find that much less stressful than lying there failing to get to sleep.

I've been on some sort of sleeping pill for years too, I keep putting off trying to come off as I don't want to go through that insomnia, my brain doesn't remember how to sleep without meds, I know how you feel hun, it's so hard, but my medication seems to poop out so I go from one thing to another and swap meds and then go back on another one, I get some zopiclone off my doctor but I need 2, 3, 4 a time so they only last a few days lol, so other than that and a sedating antidepressant I have to buy my sleeping pills and just can't afford to anymore so need to come off them all

You could try promethazine once you're at a safe amount of benzos to come off, promethazine is sold over the counter in alot of places, valerian is another pill that you can use to come off benzos, it's a herb thars been used for 1000s of years, you'll need quite a high dose, I'm trying everything, I have a lavender infused eye pillow that I put by by pillow as the smell is meant to be sedating, you can buy lavender lotions and stuff for the bath too, not sure it helps people like us who's addicted to stronger stuff but it can't hurt

cannabis is worth a try if you live somewhere it is legal

Greetings to everyone! I've been on sleeping pills and Xanax for almost 20 years due to a history of trauma. I'm trying here and there to not take them and it looks like my body lost the ability to go to sleep naturally. Not a fun thought and I probably need to go through a miserable period, so I'm looking at the posts here for some insights. Nice to meet you all.
While I’m all for abstinence and tapering (which is something you’re going to have to do given the period of time you’ve been using these things) may I ask why you now deem it necessary to stop using them? From your description we’re not talking about abuse for recreational purposes. And I know of more than a few that cannot sleep without taking the same or similar and have been doing the same for decades. Not saying it’s an ideal situation. But don’t go looking for problems either. There is no stigma attached to this. Point is: could just be something that is.

Unless it’s adversely affecting your life and wellbeing: not sure it’s something I’d be concerned about. Nor would I go substituting with something else and run the risk of far worse side effects or possible physical addiction. Unless with even taking them you are no longer able to sleep and a higher dosage is the remedy. That’s possibly where the dangerous territory starts.

The above all being said: if you are resolute then you’re going to have taper off slowly from Xanax (and Professor Ashton’s work and manual are the go to reference no question) (although she too would have you substitute Xanax, or Alprazolam, with something else and which I personally don’t agree with doing but that’s just me and based on my own experience). Zolpidem: probably wise to leave for now i.e. certainly the lesser of two evils anyway.

Nothing worse than not being able to sleep though. That will drive you insane long before these medications that’s for sure. Unfortunately though: it’s questionable as to whether or not it is real sleep that you’re getting especially with Xanax. Zolpidem: debatable because of its pharmacological action i.e. supposed to initiate sleep within three hours or so and let your body take over from there.

Put another way: I personally would rather put up with the inevitable and slight hangover in the morning and that only lasts for an hour or so maybe than no sleep.

Last edited:
IIRC, long term benzo use at any level is bad for your liver so staying on them will have a negative impact on wellbeing.
No question there are other negative impacts. Agreed. Put it this way: you only have to look at the insert that comes with (legit) pharma. (although they cover their backsides to the nth degree i.e. I'm surprised I've never seen a cancer risk warning on such inserts just for good measure)! 🤪

But there's the other possible negative impacts of getting off of these things too even after tapering. Not least of which are possible depression and rebound anxiety. It's a judgment call I guess. Mind you: I suppose there's no harm in coming off, seeing what happens, and resuming where you left off if necessary. One thing good thing (among a few other good things) with benzodiazepines is that they don't take long to kick in again (unlike something like antidepressants where it takes weeks just to get back to where you were).

Twenty years is a long time though. Depends on the age of the OP in my opinion i.e. if it were me and at my age and after twenty years I know I'd not bother (unless there was a very good reason anyway). Hopefully we find out from the OP i.e. always interested in these types of threads.

Thank you so much for your valuable input. Looking at your posts, I think a good plan is reducing then cutting out the Xanax and sticking to Ambien for now. I took 2 Benadryls yesterday without either Xanax or Ambien and slept surprisingly well. Maybe because it was so cold last night. Melatonin hasn't done much for me so far. I should take advantage of working from home right now to address this pills situation. You get psychologically dependent for sure but you can move past it. When it came to alcohol, it took a good health scare for me to cut down.

Well for what it's worth:

I'm not just throwing out random advice here i.e. I ended up with a physical dependence on Alprazolam through no fault of mine (medical over prescription). Took four years to get there and only found out about all of this because I forgot to renew a prescription and then started feeling odd (gross understatement). And the rest is history. Didn't know about any of this until that day (almost eleven years ago now). Just been fascinated with them and their pharmacological actions ever since. And truth be told: in spite of this still a big fan of big pharma. and believe that they have their benefits (my GP meant no malice i.e. back then I don't even think he knew of the dependence potential and I'm darn sure that today I know more about them than he did at the time).

Anyway. My taper (from 12mg per day no less) (of Alprazolam) simply involved me reducing my weekly dosage by a half a 1mg tablet (cutting tablets in half each week). Took a long time but cannot say it was difficult and didn't have any issues. The irony is that the absolute most difficult part was knowing that, at the end i.e. the last week and on 0.5mg, in one week's time I'd no longer be taking them or have them around. It was more psychological than anything else. And oddly enough: in my relatively short time here I've noticed the exact same thing with others i.e. that last part of the taper appears to be the stumbling block for many.

It's no secret though that after all these years I'm back on 1mg - 2mg per day (depends) and, sometimes, Zopiclone 7.5mg (Zolpidem's cousin) (both to sleep) and for just under a year again now (also thanks to this pandemic and it nearly doing my head in). So I have a pretty good understanding in reference to where you're at I'd say. Although that said: there's a big difference between four years and twenty years. But then maybe the dosage difference squares things up between us! 🤣

Alcohol? I know this doesn't make me popular around these parts. Especially given that it's a bit hypocritical of me given that I loved my binges (gave that up the year before last "just because" i.e. got too old for the inevitable hangovers I think). And I do miss it sometimes (getting out of it now and then). But I tell you: give me ten benzodiazepines over alcohol any day of the week from a harm to self point of view! Alcohol is the only drug on the planet that's caused me to have regrets about things. And I think it's safe to say I've been around the block once or twice! But that's just me I guess i.e. not everybody that drinks turns into a hooligan I'm sure! 🤣

Anyway. Good luck. Sincerely meant. If nothing else: I hope the above is at least encouraging (if not amusing to boot).