• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Trying to get off Lope (high dosage)

antsunrise

Greenlighter
Okay guys. So, I was an piate addict for some years. Finally got a little clean and then me and my girl at the time started taking lopermide daily. It did everything we needed . Years passed. She passed and i now have ker kid and a single father. But my problem is. I have been still taking them everyday.I take about 90 2mg's in the morning when I wake up and 72 more in early evening. I really want to get off of them. I of course will get massive Wd from them. Very methadone style only it happens quicker. Any suggestions on how to get off besides tapering? I can get subutex from somebody but the thing is. I would have to wait days to take it. My kid is 2 and I cannot be a dopesick person who lays in bed staring at the wall for days. Any options? Anybody else gone through this?

If I didn't explain my question well enough feel free to ask more. sorry

Like I said. I have been on this shit for like 3 years now. And the WD is shitty . So, if there is some other way.

Do you not have the willpower to taper? They come in 2mg doses so I'd think it'd be easier to cut back by a pill or two each day. You've got to realize that on some level the lope has been prolonging the withdrawal from your prior opiate addiction. Does the lope do anything for you.. as in getting you high? If not, it will be all that much easier to taper. Sorry I don't have experience with this drug, but I know opioids inside & out.. there is a lope megathread and lope withdrawal megathread plus you can apply all the symptom management strategies of classic opioid withdrawal to your current plan.

Do you not have the willpower to taper? They come in 2mg doses so I'd think it'd be easier to cut back by a pill or two each day. You've got to realize that on some level the lope has been prolonging the withdrawal from your prior opiate addiction. Does the lope do anything for you.. as in getting you high? If not, it will be all that much easier to taper. Sorry I don't have experience with this drug, but I know opioids inside & out.. there is a lope megathread and lope withdrawal megathread plus you can apply all the symptom management strategies of classic opioid withdrawal to your current plan.

yeah. I have been tapering. I am down about 60 MG on my first daily dose now. My routine has been lowering by 4 mg every week or other week. more like 2 mg a week. which adds up. I guess that may be my best bet. Situation sucks. Having the kid just really makes a bad week impossible.

oh thanks. I haven't been on this site in years. I know when we used to come here. everyone said lope was fake etc etc. I guess more people use it now. I have like 4 friends who do it daily now as well. It used to get me very high. Now it doesn't. I feel better at night. But it just makes me sluggish now. sort of what methadone would do after a long time sort of. or suboxone. It's really like a mix of both of those. I cannot get high form opiates. the lope blocks it somehow. when SWIm used to get roxxy scripts. could do llike 6 and not even get much of a feeling. I think gut receptors are destroyed.

As most have said lope is a terrible choice. It hits receptors outside of the cns probably creating a situation where even if you fill the receptors in the cns the receptors throughout the body might be do disproportionately avaliable that it's near impossible to fill them with opiates that usually work in the cns. Maybe if you can get any sustained released like morphine or oxycodone to help you drop the lope dose significantly and taper further and quitting even if you can't stop the morphine. Getting off the lope ASAP is important and then dealing with the opiate dependency after that. Lope dependancy is a whole other level. Personally methadone, fentanyl, and non codeine/morphine based compound although fent patches or methadone might help used appropriately (don't open patch and stick it on whole as directed) the long term could be beneficial... I honestly avoid recommending methadone although it can be a good choice as it's easy to obtain as addiction/dependancy matinance where you can be open about your lope habit and have medical professionals observing, treating, and documenting. I honestly cringe reading you have a 3 year lope habit..... Seriously get your three friends off as well.

Keep us updated. Your experiences may help someone else in the future who makes the same foolish decision out of desperation to find stability that your own health care providers fail to do as most with the overexcessive restrictions and security on medicine and treatment. So much for doctor patient confidentially and patients rights, am I right? Right?

You're absolutely right. It's awful just how modern society treats its addicts. In a perfect world, almost all of us would be absolutely one hundred percent fine if we were simply allowed to be maintained with our drug of choice. Instead, we have to go through this fucking dog and pony show in which any drug known to actually make you feel good is bad for you and unacceptable; only drugs that stop you from feeling terrible are used, since society seems to have a massive subconscious fear of pleasure. Methadone is more dangerous than pure, pharmaceutical grade heroin carefully supplied and administered in almost every way - including being much easier to come off of. Yet we in North America have absolutely no choice in the matter (yes there are subs, but they generally are not for those of us who have been IVing our opes for years, and simply love them too much to be able to give them up).

As most have said lope is a terrible choice. It hits receptors outside of the cns probably creating a situation where even if you fill the receptors in the cns the receptors throughout the body might be do disproportionately avaliable that it's near impossible to fill them with opiates that usually work in the cns. Maybe if you can get any sustained released like morphine or oxycodone to help you drop the lope dose significantly and taper further and quitting even if you can't stop the morphine. Getting off the lope ASAP is important and then dealing with the opiate dependency after that. Lope dependancy is a whole other level. Personally methadone, fentanyl, and non codeine/morphine based compound although fent patches or methadone might help used appropriately (don't open patch and stick it on whole as directed) the long term could be beneficial... I honestly avoid recommending methadone although it can be a good choice as it's easy to obtain as addiction/dependancy matinance where you can be open about your lope habit and have medical professionals observing, treating, and documenting. I honestly cringe reading you have a 3 year lope habit..... Seriously get your three friends off as well.

Keep us updated. Your experiences may help someone else in the future who makes the same foolish decision out of desperation to find stability that your own health care providers fail to do as most with the overexcessive restrictions and security on medicine and treatment. So much for doctor patient confidentially and patients rights, am I right? Right?

Yeah. One time I didn't do lope for about 4 days because I had a lot of Methadone. But the issue is.... Sadly i would have to take like 4 times amount of the methadone to even feel it.. I had about 90 10mg's between my and my girl. Last less than a week. And not even feeling that great.I am not into drugs anymore and I just want to wake up feeling normal. These things make me tired I have been on so long and it's just annoying. I have no interest to do other stuff. The whole scene is dead to me.But If I had to I'd go on subs. But I'd have to go through a few painful days before they would even work on me and I can't do that with a kid.So, I been tapering. but then I get scared of once i taper so much I won't get sleep at night.

Shitty situation OP. That many tabs a day is insane, but I'm not juding, I was sucked into loperamide addiction at one point as well, thinking it was the lesser evil compared to the opiates I was using, and as a way to avoid withdrawal. How are your bowel movements? Do some research on loperamide man. It has a cardio-toxic metabolite. Please get off it ASAP, even if that means picking up a methadone habit or whatever. Loperamide is dangerous man, and I'm pretty sure murders most of your opiate receptors (especially in your gut, withdrawal symptoms lasting for months, things like severe diarhrea) and definitely skyrockets your tolerance. That amount of lope a day is probably equal to like 100mg of methadone, but again lope has that cardiotoxic metabolite so please get off it ASAP.

I cringe when I see people recommending high dose lope or using it, and that misinformation that it's harmless lead to me getting addicted to it as a maintence drug and suddenly my tolerance quadrupled and I couldn't get a rush anymore from dope and it was a true bitch getting off lope. I was using 50-100mg a day. Been off it for a few months now and instead have a kratom habit but I feel 100x better then I did on the lope. It feels toxic and dirty and I think has some serotonin effects like tramadol because because I'd notice odd serotonergic effects and near the end before I quit but I may be wrong about this. I also started getting severe chest pains and started waking up gasping for air, experiencing shortness of breath, feeling faint all the time. I believe these symptoms were related to heart issues being caused by the lope.

Not to mention severe constipation and things like impacted stool or toxic megacolon that loperamide in such high doses can cause and can potentially lead to death. And a lot of cardiac arrest stories are around the web caused by high dose lope, documented in medical journals. Ventricular arythmia and other terrifying heart issues that are life threatening.

Check out mad margarets blog, she dealt with high dose loperamide addiction and had to be hospitalized because of cardiac arrest and such, and now spreads information on the dangers of high dose loperamide. Here's a recent post she made, reguarding the death of another loperamide abuser that was only 27 and otherwise should have been healthy. https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/an-ordinary-kid-on-an-ordinary-day/

And here is her incredible story: Lope is no joke! I'd potentially even say go to the ER with printouts of the new medical journals documenting the cardiac dangers of loperamide, you need to get off it asap to save your life dude:
https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...o-more-part-2-or-happy-2nd-re-birthday-to-me/

"Loperamide prolongs the QTc interval, setting up the right conditions for ventricular tachycardia and the deadly Torsades De Pointes."

"Loperamide overdose has resulted in a few deaths; several others have survived the overdose after being near death. (These numbers are much higher if you count anecdotal evidence.)"
The overdose death don't seem to be caused by typical respiratory depression (Although that is very possible with loperamide aswell), but rather because of cardiac issues caused by the lope.

By the way, how did your girl pass by the way? She was taking high dose loperamide as well? Was it heart related? Did she start having syncope / fainting out spells, shortness of breath prior to her passing? Have you experienced any of these symptoms? Maybe loperamide was involved in the cause of her passing.

Anyways, please just get help man.

Last edited:
If you have a chance to switch to buprenorphine at least temporarily, then I think it's your best bet to avoid withdrawal and it's going to be much less painful if you want to taper off completely.

Pbuilder said it how I couldn't. No doctor will shame you for getting help. It may not get you off right away, but it will literally stop you from killing yourself

I'm assuming you have problems with bowel movements, because just 4mgs of Lope stops my bowel movements.

Like others stated, if you can switch over to something else, please do, 3 years of 160mgs of Lope is an insanely high dose a day.

Good luck man........

Here are some more cases of people experiencing syncope related to heart issues that were a result of high dose loperamide abuse.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...mide_abuse/links/54613fed0cf27487b45270d7.pdf

In fact, as I do more research, it's scaring the shit out of me, and although I've been off lope for almost 2 months, I still frequently have chest pain I thought intially was caused by anxiety. Definetely need to go get a ekg done and some other heart tests, although it appears these heart issues resolve themselves upon ceasation of loperamide use, according to all the medical journals I have been reading. I definetely was experiencing syncope looking back when I was using high dose lope, man fuck I dodged a bullet, I got off it because of the syncope (without realizing the syncope was likely caused by heart issues). Fucking scary.

Here are some more cases of people experiencing syncope related to heart issues that were a result of high dose loperamide abuse.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...mide_abuse/links/54613fed0cf27487b45270d7.pdf

In fact, as I do more research, it's scaring the shit out of me, and although I've been off lope for almost 2 months, I still frequently have chest pain I thought intially was caused by anxiety. Definetely need to go get a ekg done and some other heart tests, although it appears these heart issues resolve themselves upon ceasation of loperamide use, according to all the medical journals I have been reading. I definetely was experiencing syncope looking back when I was using high dose lope, man fuck I dodged a bullet, I got off it because of the syncope (without realizing the syncope was likely caused by heart issues). Fucking scary.

I read some stuff on syncope when abusing lope, I never knew it was that bad for the heart & body, wow!

If you have a chance to switch to buprenorphine at least temporarily, then I think it's your best bet to avoid withdrawal and it's going to be much less painful if you want to taper off completely.

I'd love to switch to bupe. But Like I said. I have a kid and it's hard to get any time off. Nobody watches her. But I'd really just love to taper off and be done completely.

Shitty situation OP. That many tabs a day is insane, but I'm not juding, I was sucked into loperamide addiction at one point as well, thinking it was the lesser evil compared to the opiates I was using, and as a way to avoid withdrawal. How are your bowel movements? Do some research on loperamide man. It has a cardio-toxic metabolite. Please get off it ASAP, even if that means picking up a methadone habit or whatever. Loperamide is dangerous man, and I'm pretty sure murders most of your opiate receptors (especially in your gut, withdrawal symptoms lasting for months, things like severe diarhrea) and definitely skyrockets your tolerance. That amount of lope a day is probably equal to like 100mg of methadone, but again lope has that cardiotoxic metabolite so please get off it ASAP.

I cringe when I see people recommending high dose lope or using it, and that misinformation that it's harmless lead to me getting addicted to it as a maintence drug and suddenly my tolerance quadrupled and I couldn't get a rush anymore from dope and it was a true bitch getting off lope. I was using 50-100mg a day. Been off it for a few months now and instead have a kratom habit but I feel 100x better then I did on the lope. It feels toxic and dirty and I think has some serotonin effects like tramadol because because I'd notice odd serotonergic effects and near the end before I quit but I may be wrong about this. I also started getting severe chest pains and started waking up gasping for air, experiencing shortness of breath, feeling faint all the time. I believe these symptoms were related to heart issues being caused by the lope.

Not to mention severe constipation and things like impacted stool or toxic megacolon that loperamide in such high doses can cause and can potentially lead to death. And a lot of cardiac arrest stories are around the web caused by high dose lope, documented in medical journals. Ventricular arythmia and other terrifying heart issues that are life threatening.

Check out mad margarets blog, she dealt with high dose loperamide addiction and had to be hospitalized because of cardiac arrest and such, and now spreads information on the dangers of high dose loperamide. Here's a recent post she made, reguarding the death of another loperamide abuser that was only 27 and otherwise should have been healthy. https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/an-ordinary-kid-on-an-ordinary-day/

And here is her incredible story: Lope is no joke! I'd potentially even say go to the ER with printouts of the new medical journals documenting the cardiac dangers of loperamide, you need to get off it asap to save your life dude:
https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...o-more-part-2-or-happy-2nd-re-birthday-to-me/

"Loperamide prolongs the QTc interval, setting up the right conditions for ventricular tachycardia and the deadly Torsades De Pointes."

"Loperamide overdose has resulted in a few deaths; several others have survived the overdose after being near death. (These numbers are much higher if you count anecdotal evidence.)"
The overdose death don't seem to be caused by typical respiratory depression (Although that is very possible with loperamide aswell), but rather because of cardiac issues caused by the lope.

By the way, how did your girl pass by the way? She was taking high dose loperamide as well? Was it heart related? Did she start having syncope / fainting out spells, shortness of breath prior to her passing? Have you experienced any of these symptoms? Maybe loperamide was involved in the cause of her passing.

Anyways, please just get help man.

Sadly enough. It WAS heart related. We both thought about it. But I really don't think it was related. It happens rarely to people. A male friend of mine has the same diagnoses right now. And he most likely got it due to being pregnant. So, the doctors say. She had a pace maker for a short amount of time but didn't work out. I really don't like thinking about that if it had any cause. But I really don't think it was. And that is not denial talking. But I am glad there is so much info on Lope now on these forums. When I was here years ago . it was just poop jokes and people saying placebo.

At the moment I am taking 64MG less daily. Dropped another 4 MG today. So, it's getting better. I just fear getting so low that I won't get any sleep. Not sure what to do . Just lowering right now is best choice till I figure it out I guess/.
\

Oh , my bowel movements obviously are not great. But I do take laxatives almost daily so I do alright. I have noticed a small dosage of lope works as strong as a large. The ceiling effect. Not saying it's true. Just seems so for me . And I don't take laxatives everyday. I skip days often and eat well usually. Not trying to destroy my system even more than it is with that stuff either. but fml. Not even a drug addict anymore. I just cannot be sick and can't do anything else about it. It sucks having to hide bottles of shit pills and buying these things all the time. Just not much of a choice right now.

Not much else new to say but a small update. Yesterday I took 96 MG less than my original amount and 80MG today less than original. So, that's a start in the right direction.

This doesn't seem to be a rare side effect of high dose loperamide, infact cardiac problems almost seem like a guarenteed issue with long term high dose loperamide.

This doesn't seem to be a rare side effect of high dose loperamide, infact cardiac problems almost seem like a guarenteed issue with long term high dose loperamide.

Well know a few people on high doses daily and I haven't heard anything from them. My girls issue was due to giving birth . But I have been tampering. will drop more tomorrow. So, getting better.

Well know a few people on high doses daily and I haven't heard anything from them. My girls issue was due to giving birth . But I have been tampering. will drop more tomorrow. So, getting better.

The thing is it's a silent killer, so I encourage you to at least go get an EKG done while you are tapering to make sure your hearts working alright, maybe it is not that common but all these medical reports popping up now that high dose lope is getting spread around the internet as a miracle cure for withdrawals leading to people getting hooked on it for maintence and now all these heart arythmia and stopping incidents I would not take a chance. Better safe then dead

Make no mistake anyone reading this, high dose loperamide is a death wish, and the odds of gastroparasis leading to dependency on laxatives aswell or potential death from toxic sepsis because you get so back up, possible toxic megacolon, and a host of other things related to severe constipation that can cause death or a fucked up gastric system for life. And then more and more serious cardiac issue reports now being connected with high dose loperamide, please do not consider it ever as an option to maintain a habit, it seems harmless but it's a death trap!

Not tryna scare you op I just want to make sure anyone reading this because they googled high dose loperamide will see this and not fucking try it and end up hooked to a killer drug.

Last edited:
The thing is it's a silent killer, so I encourage you to at least go get an EKG done while you are tapering to make sure your hearts working alright, maybe it is not that common but all these medical reports popping up now that high dose lope is getting spread around the internet as a miracle cure for withdrawals leading to people getting hooked on it for maintence and now all these heart arythmia and stopping incidents I would not take a chance. Better safe then dead.

Appreciate the info. makes me want to get off even more. And also worries me due to what happened to my fiance.But I really hope it had nothing to do with it.