• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc trying to get a legit script for my mental illness, should i or should i not bring up my history of substance abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

attention_horror_621

Bluelighter
ive been pretty heavy into self medicating for a while, weed, kratom, benzedrex, non script valium, alcohol, caffeine pills, etc. etc..,, but soon im gonna go to a psych to hopefully get something to help with my crippling anxiety (all day constant struggle, completely isolated bc of it, anxiety attacks, etc.) and what i believe to be adhd (cant keep focus literally at all unless on stims [an issue present before stims btw so ik its not withdrawal or whatever] (among other symptoms, not the important thing here tho, not trying to get all venty))

im hoping to get adderall at the very least and hopefully some sort of benzo. ik asking about that would make me sound like a total junkie (not wrong),, but ive actually made quite a bit of progress self medicating, and a huge part of why i want a legit script is so i can replicate what i get from shitty unhealthy methods of medicating (i.e.,, benzedrex and kratom keep me focused and sane,, but kratom makes me vomit and benz gives me insomnia and heart palps,,,., had huge anxiety improvements when using valium,, but i didnt have a reliable source so i turned to mixing with alch to stretch my supply out, etc.)

would bringing up my self medicating experience, and my desire to achieve similar effects in a more regulated and safe manner help my case,,, or would it black list me from all abuseable substances lol (ik no1 can speak for all psychs but just generally)..

thx in advance!! ^^

edit: oh, and to clarify, im getting an evaluation by a therapist,, then getting prescribed meds by a separate, therapist-recommended psych. so i would have a diagnosis by the time i talk to a psych.

Personally, I would not bring it up. MDs are very quick to identify you as a drug seeker, as unfair as that may be. As a result, many will see their prescribing choices through the lens of "substance abuser." It is a stigma, but a very real truth in the world of medicine. In other words, there will be substances they they will completely avoid if possible when treating you. Just my two pennies worth but knowing many doctors and people with substance-related issues over time. Good luck.

Although it is always a good idea to get professional medical advice, the BL rules prohibit asking advice here on what to say to doctors to get certain drugs.

But the answer to your basic question about full disclosure to your doctor is: yes tell your doctor. S/he’s the expert. And whether or not that results in a ‘blacklisting’ or permanent identification of you as a problematic drug user depends a lot on the jurisdiction and/or medical system covering you.

If you’d started out saying “I need a legitimate diagnosis” that would be fine. But you really seem to be asking for help in getting pharma-grade versions of the drugs you like.

This thread is locked. But if you are welcome to start another thread about diagnosis and treatment rather than scripts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.