• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Trying New Drugs For The First Time And Not Meeting Your Expectations?

Tryptamino

Bluelight Crew
First time I did coke, I was expecting this hard, intense feeling drug, but I didn't even realize that I was high until afterward , when I realized that what I felt was not anticipation, but some relaxing stimulation. Same as meth, although to a lesser degree, as my first time smoking I was expecting the same feeling I get from a lot of coke, but longer lasting, and instead, I felt relaxed and mellow. It was bizarre. In fact, the only drugs ive done that felt exactly as reputed were dmt, MDMA, and heroin. I never expected to feel the way pot makes me feel before I had done it. I thought it was gonna feel mellow and relaxing, not intense at all, but instead, I tripped balls for s few hours, not expecting psychedelia at all. LSD felt a little underwhelming, as I didn't know a lot about it except that it was a hallucinogen. I'd never heard the word psychedelics used to refer to the class of drugs before. All I was expecting was hallucinations. API didn't get many, but still enjoyed it thouroughly. The most underwhelming drug I have ever taken is hydrocodone. I was expecting to feel happy and sleepy, but I didn't feel shit, even with no opiate tolerance on an empty stomach with a dose of 10-20 mgs ( can't remember what the dosage is for Vics, all I remember was using erowid's dosage reference. Finally, probably the biggest letdown, but only because I was expecting something that it wasn't: benzodiazepines. I was told that I would feel euphoric and happy in an inebreted state similar to alcohol but more euphoric and calm. Instead I just fell over a bunch (on top of my mother at one point, not arousing any suspicion as far as I could tell) and wanted to sleep the whole time. Not high. Of course I later learned what to expect from these drugs and I guess I "learned to love them" in a way, because I realized that they're all tools, each with a different function, and I began to use them, although some more than others, as I felt I needed their use more than others. For example, I was severely ADD and lethargic and generally unenthused with everything, so amphetamines and cocaine came to the aid! And that was where I realized bentos purpose, after having many anxious, sleepless nights from being stimmed too fuck. Anyway I'm drifting from the topic at hand.

So any of you blers have ever been underwhelmed by drugs because of false hype? Most of my expectations were completely wrong, and thus drugs surprised me when I started taking them as i didn't expect anything that happened, and so much was new, and I was discovering the truth behind what I was told about drugs my whole life, and I know I'm not alone here in feeling that drugs either didn't live up to their hype or that exceeded their rep.

so throw some examples of drugs you tried that were not to par with their hype?

Last edited:
This is a really good question man...I'll have to go with MDMA the first couple times but mainly because I didn't take enough. Like, I snorted half of one point and then ate the other a couple hours later and it was weak. The second time, I took one of the weak ones and essentially the same thing happened because, while they contained MDMA, they were cut with inactives so you needed two. A buddy took two and had a blast.

The third time, however, I got my hands on crystal MDMA and finally learned about what the hype was about. It was so wonderful.

Logic I had the exact same first couple experiences with MDMA ^^^

DMT was nothing like what I thought it would be. I had read and researched so much about it so I thought I would kind of know how it was going to feel and I imagined it would be like an intense mushroom high for 10 minutes but it honestly didn't feel like any other kind of drug experience at all. IMO you can't compare the feeling to anything. It was also easier to manage than expected (especially since I was close to breaking through but not quite there)

Most drugs I try for the first time are not what I expect. I get nervous when trying new things, so I never take enough. The second time is usually better. Because I understand what the drug is kind of like, so I'm more comfortable taking the right amount and I know what to expect then.

I would have to say that the only drug or group of drugs, rather, to not meet my expectations... opiates. I'll have to explain...

It's not so much that the first opiate I ever experimented with, oxycodone, hadn't met my expectations but more that I simply wasn't sure what to expect beyond one very noticeable and one extremely pleasurable high. I guess that, at the time, I was thinking, It's oxycodone, so-called synthetic heroin, and if The Basketball Diaries has taught me anything, it's that the heroin high is like running shirtless through fields of flowers...

But, truth be told, the high was just incredibly subtle. I felt itchy, sleepy but without feeling actually tired or like I could go to bed and sleep, and I wasn't sure what to make of it all. I guess that I expected a high that would truly knock me off my feet, and it didn't do that. It took a few more tries before I put it all together, like, "oh ok so this is just what it is..."

Dmt was completley different than what i expected. Was expecting just paterns and a religous experience. Way different for me

coke i thought was lame every time i've tried it compared to even adderall or focalin unless rocked up, opiates were great but not the "multi-hour orgasm" often described. amanitas were not psychedelic just like a poisonous version of valium.

coke i thought was lame every time i've tried it compared to even adderall or focalin unless rocked up, opiates were great but not the "multi-hour orgasm" often described. amanitas were not psychedelic just like a poisonous version of valium.

You didn't take enough amanitas then, my friend.

A lot of drugs have completely failed to meet my expectations, in a disappointing "Awww, that's it?" manner. Drugs that were completely different but roughly as awesome as or better than I expected will not be mentioned here.

COCAINE - I expected it to be an in-your-face kind of high. If it's frequently described as euphoric and intensely addictive, I thought it would be pretty awesome. However, insufflated and smoked cocaine seemed to yield the most subtle, mild, barely psychoactive high - only when administered intravenously would I say it was euphoric, if it was a yes or no question.
AMPHETAMINES - The disappointment here was akin to cocaine, except I didn't expect great euphoria. I expected a more 'tweaked' feeling, which I found out would only be achieved through doses which are uncomfortable as a whole. The stimulation was far more subtle than I thought. I was unimpressed by the intensity of the feelings, but pleasantly surprised by the drug as a whole - had it been like I had expected, I would use amphetamines a lot less.

I might add that the sorts of feelings I expected from cocaine and amphetamines were later most closely matched by the effects of methamphetamine - a much less subtle, euphoric, forcefully stimulating drug.

OPIOIDS - From just about every piece of (mis)information popular culture, anti-drug campaigns and everything else to touch on opioids (obviously usually heroin) I expected a much more profound and multifaceted "fucked up" sensation. Instead, I was surprised to find that the opioid high was generally surprisingly subtle, easily ruined or overpowered by outside factors, and limited to a few central effects, mainly euphoria and sedation (compared to cannabis, for example, which affects the mind in a huge variety of ways).

MDMA - I expected profound and overpowering feelings of love, belonging and euphoria. Instead, it simply made me feel more affectionate and moderately euphoric (in what I subjectively experienced as quite an artificial, forced way). The effects qualitatively seemed to match what I expected, but their intensity was a major source of disappointment. Upon trying mephedrone later, I felt what I had expected to feel from ecstasy. The mephedrone high, for me, is more than twice as euphoric and superior in every way other than the intensity of side effects (particularly bruxism).

2C-I - I expected it to be a psychedelic. However, at a variety of doses ranging from below Shulgin's recommended dose to about 50% in excess of the highest reported dose in in PiHKAL, it seemed to only generate two of the myriad effects typical of psychedelics: visuals and a body load. The body load was in no way pleasant, consisting mainly of awkward muscle tension in strange places and nausea. The visuals themselves were highly reminiscent of LSD, and very impressive - however, the complete lack of any of the mental effects of LSD made them appear much less beautiful and alive; instead of profound feelings of awe, the experience was more akin to "looking at pretty pictures".
When combined with cannabis, the experience became mentally as psychedelic as... Cannabis. I experienced no synergy and was manifestly disappointed with this "psychedelic".

Last edited:
Only drug that comes to mind that felt underwhelming to what I expected was IV Dilaudid. It was great, I mean lovely opiate high, but the rush has been so built up, and I just didn't feel such a big rush - immediate relaxation following what felt like upper leg pain, but aside from the high, the actual rush wasn't to spectacular, and they pushed that shit in pretty fast for an ER nurse. Otherwise, maybe the first time I took 0.5 mg Xanax when I had no benzo experience whatsoever right before bed. I didn't feel much. Tried it again before school, and had a very different reaction, which was quite pleasant. Other than that, I have pretty much felt what I expected to feel. Overwhelmed with DXM, but never really underwhelmed other than the two examples I cited above. Oh, maybe Adderall at bedtime - I thought it would keep me wide awake in combo with opiates and benzos, which it failed to do, but still felt damn good in combo with them. Other than that, not really that I can think of.

I would have to say that the only drug or group of drugs, rather, to not meet my expectations... opiates. I'll have to explain...

It's not so much that the first opiate I ever experimented with, oxycodone, hadn't met my expectations but more that I simply wasn't sure what to expect beyond one very noticeable and one extremely pleasurable high. I guess that, at the time, I was thinking, It's oxycodone, so-called synthetic heroin, and if The Basketball Diaries has taught me anything, it's that the heroin high is like running shirtless through fields of flowers...

But, truth be told, the high was just incredibly subtle. I felt itchy, sleepy but without feeling actually tired or like I could go to bed and sleep, and I wasn't sure what to make of it all. I guess that I expected a high that would truly knock me off my feet, and it didn't do that. It took a few more tries before I put it all together, like, "oh ok so this is just what it is..."

LOL at the Basketball Diaries reference

Oxy and opiates/opioids were the same for me. The first time I snorted an oxy I just got itchy and kind of relaxed, but it wasn't anything amazing. I would sometimes just take small amounts hydrocodone or percocet if I was drinking at a party. Then one time after maybe 10 or times of using small amounts I sniffed about 10mg of oxy and it just 'clicked'. I got the oxy high as I now know it, where I was feeling energetic and social and just feelin' so darn good.

It's funny that so many people had such high expecations of E before doing it. The first E pills I got were the best E pills I ever got. I've definitely had some fun E moments since then, but they've always been slightly disappointing because of how fucking powerful the first roll I ever had was.

weed, amps, mdma, dmt, ketamine, 2c-b - Met my expectations to some extent. (DMT was more than I expected even. In a good way.)

lsd, shrooms, coke, benzos (except the first time I ever took one, after a LONG stim binge.), opiates - Not that I don't like/love these drugs, my first times on them were just different than I had imagined. 2cb would be in this category if I hadn't tried shrooms & acid before trying it.

There are more, but lets just say they didn't live up to expectations if I didn't mention them.

Carl Landrover;10712681It's funny that so many people had such high expecations of E before doing it. The first E pills I got were the best E pills I ever got. I've definitely had some fun E moments since then said:
Yeah

IMO E is overrated after the first time, people always try to reach that first roll, but they never do, and won't ever be able to.

I just tried molly for the first time. yes, we tested it, it was the real mccoy...
I thought it would be similar to extacy (not the crap shit fuck floating around today, I mean the REAL SHIT that we used to get in the 90's, or early 2000's) and it wasn't bad, but frankly, it was quite boring. I had very little to no feelings of the 'lovey dovies' (which i was kinda excited for), it was definitely a great body high, but that doesn't do much for me. so I probably won't be wasting my dough on miss molly again anytime soon.

I have always gotten what I expected. That is, if I knew what to expect at all. Maybe you guys think too high of drugs.

Marihuana.
Well, I remember all the fuss around it when I was still in school aged like 14. The bad kids who thought of themselves as the elite got it from the mysterious source. ;) Well, I started then my journey with codeine and shortly after with morphine. And before codeine I took dextromethorphan as a means of dissociating from pain in this world. I smoked marihuana first time not until my studniówka ("sto" - a hundred, "dni" - "days", "-ówka" - an ending often add to make words; it's a party supposed to be 100 days before school-leaving exams in secondary school). It was by chance, I also tried smoking Spice, the girl I went there with had it. I felt nothing, it was some deception! But the weed I bought there wasn't worth its price either, it was weak as hell, it was only 0.5g but compared to the stuff I get now... 0.5g is a lot, it's worth a lot of highs, that mentioned thing wasn't enough for one high.

I don't know what I really expected of marihuana. It's neither a disappointment nor a nice surprise. I just thought something that so many people smoked and thought of it as something so great, I thought it would bring something much more unique whatever it means. For me it's just a psychedelic that sometimes can have a numbing feeling, it's also very sleepy and you can't really smoke it for anxiety daily because of problems with memory and willingness to work. You're just lazy.

Other drugs, I don't think I was like "I think this is going to work this way" and then it worked THAT way.

Weed. Never understood why so many people like it so much. I've smoked from shit mids up to some really dank buds but could never see why people like it so much. Compared to other drugs the high isnt that great. Plus, that fucking taste. It annoys me. I mean, ill still roll up every once in a while but i never got to know how people fall in love with it.

Weed. Never understood why so many people like it so much. I've smoked from shit mids up to some really dank buds but could never see why people like it so much. Compared to other drugs the high isnt that great. Plus, that fucking taste. It annoys me. I mean, ill still roll up every once in a while but i never got to know how people fall in love with it.

I'm the same way. I know a lot of people that have their lifestyle revolve around weed while I almost consider it a hassle to smoke. Such a tame high compared to anything else, well for me at least. Never will understand what the fuss is about.

On the opposite end of the spectrum adderall actually blew my mind compared to what I thought it would be like my first few times. I was expected just a mild study-aid, not a balls to the walls boost in confidence. Of course my tolerance has since taken that feeling mostly away.

I just tried molly for the first time. yes, we tested it, it was the real mccoy...
I thought it would be similar to extacy (not the crap shit fuck floating around today, I mean the REAL SHIT that we used to get in the 90's, or early 2000's) and it wasn't bad, but frankly, it was quite boring. I had very little to no feelings of the 'lovey dovies' (which i was kinda excited for), it was definitely a great body high, but that doesn't do much for me. so I probably won't be wasting my dough on miss molly again anytime soon.

well from what i understand from your other posts, you use crystal meth QUITE a bit, which should raise your tolerance to MDMA significantly.

I remember when I tried cocaine for the first time with friends and I thought it was crap. I then spent four years without even thinking about doing cocaine.
Then one day I was bored and decided to buy some cocaine by myself. It totally blew me away. I just couldnt believe it was the same substance I tried four years prior.