Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Truffle storage (vacuum)

Markyo

Greenlighter
Hey guys
Quick question hope its in line with everything :)
Just joined..

I am wondering how long will truffles, bought from a legit company, vacuum sealed stay safe to consume?
I want to get a bulk bag and immediately vacuum seal what I wont be using in the very near future to keep them fresh.

What is the shelf-life of normal packed truffles and vacuum packed truffles?
Normally packed mushrooms can be kept for 1 month in the fridge. Unopened, the shelf life of a vacuum pack is 2 - 3 months, BUT the longer it stays in vacuum the shorter the shelf-life is after opening.

i.e. if you open a vacuum bag immediately after arrival, (fresh as possible) the shelflife of the opened bag would be 1 month. If you open a vacuum bag after 2 months, the shelf-life of the open bag would be only 1 week. Due to the vacuum certain reactions take place which shorten the shelflife after oxidation.

Any information I could find, does not mention vacuum sealing them the second time.

Also any tips for me while resealing them to keep them fresh as long as possible.

And another question while mushroom enthuisiasts are reading,
Would taking a normal dose of lets say Mexicana (light) mushrooms for a beginner, be equivalent to taking a small dose of Hollandia (strong) lets say.
I have taken all kinds before and am prepared for an adventure :D, Just wondering if a friend joins me that has never taken any, would it be a good idea for them to take a strong strain, just in a smaller proportion?

Thank you very much :)

To answer your questions:
-How long will they last in your vacuum pack?
They can last a maximum of 3 months in the fridge.

-How long will they last once i open your pack without re-vacuuming them
They can last a maximum of 3 days/ 1 week in your fridge

-How long would they last if they are re-vacuumed (approx) and how should i
store them?
We never re-vacuumed them again .. so i am not really sure, however i think if you do
it correcty they can last around 2 months (?) max. They also have to be stored in the fridge, always!

I got this email back from the supplier.

Any more informed opinions?

It will depend whether you do it in a clean environment, if you can't do it in any hood or glovebox I would certainly do a big clean-up of your place/kitchen. Read up on sanitation and treat your clean kitchen as a giant glovebox. It might be overcautious but if you want to get a relative guarantee that it won't spoil very prematurely that would be the way to do it.

Truffles don't contain that much water and are apparently a bit more hermetic than mushrooms, also not tending to fall apart spontaneously by nature since mushrooms are merely fruiting bodies of a fungus that decay after fulfilling their job like a limp dick, and truffles are more like a living rootstock, nearly an actual part of the body. Still, if they can't really thrive they can become susceptible to contamination and consequently getting eating by other microorganisms so minimize exposure.

Yes it is considered normal for mushrooms to keep for about 3-7 days in the fridge just sitting in like a paper bag.

If you are really terribly paranoid about the whole thing, dry your truffles. Do this by cutting pieces or thin slices using a sanitized knife, then leaving them to dry in a very subtle draft of non-humid air and when mostly dry you can finish up with use of a desiccant material (dont apply directly!). They will become stone (no pun intended) hard and not really edible in that form unless you grind into powder, portion pack or whatever - store in any way you like in a jar or so, preferably with an added desiccant packet for the long haul to KEEP dry.
Then, you can rehydrate a dose at any moment you wanna trip by just soaking them in water for a bit, and they get munchable again.