Tretinoin (high dose vitamin A topical skin cream) causing depression (?)

There seems to be more and more clues indicating than retinols/oids and even vitamin A are just nasty toxic chemicals.

Probably hitting mainstream in the next 5-10 years? We'll see

The true mechanism of action is not exactly clear, even though it's been around since the 70s I believe. People have opinions, but I guess we all are looking for facts. IMO unless you've given tretinoin a real go, you won't know if it's something for you. As many that vouch for it, the same are reporting issues. As someone who's had chemical peels, now moved onto derma needling, and upon starting tretinoin three years ago I was quite surprised how potent the stuff is. Not something to underestimate, or confuse with a over the counter drug store product. It's a topical medicine IMO and should be used with caution

Been taking it since 2010. Use it eod. Can't say I've noticed effects that are negative. I've had more loose stools past couple months, since using it eod. Was using once or twice a week for months before this. Can't say I've noticed any negative effects.

Most studies have been done on tretinoin since nineteen fifties ,with no negative effects , from my understanding . Haven't seen much, except this thread, or any literature in tretinoin in regards to any negative effects. Isotretinoin, accutane, can cause liver enzymes elevated, kidney issues. It makes sense topical could cause this too if used in excess. I'm sure it's dose dependent.

Is Tazorac a retinal or retinoid?

Last edited:
How do you go to the next page? Have to have an account?

I retried some eye cream containing Retinol last week.

Initially I thought, great, doesn't feel like a problem.

Then I was at a social event on Sunday and I was thinking, "this is unusual, but I'm really not in the mood for this".

Couple days later - and I haven't done this in a long time - I had to hit some stimulants to pull myself out of this damn funk.

So I looked back over my day planner and saw the only difference in my routine was I had been using Retinol eye cream.

I still can't say with absolutely certainty that's the culprit, but it appears likely.

I've stopped it now (since four days), will give it a couple weeks to see how my mood changes again.

Crazy.

I used trentonin topical cream alot for acne when i was a teen. I don't know if it made me depressed or not though i cant really remember

I've had long breaks from using tretinoin in the summer months, no change in mood for me. As a long term user, I have noticed that less is more, and now I use it once a week as maintenance.

But that's just my experience with this potent medication, and it's not a cream you should just go dabble in at free will. There's a reason you don't you see it on the shelves among all the fraudulent drug store "anti aging" creams.

Retinoids readily absorb through the skin. The derma rolling is probably enhancing penetration. You aren't getting as high of a systemic dose as you would if you took the oral medication, but maybe you are sensitive. It would have to be absorbing because you're having symptoms consistent with drug side effects. Facial skin is also a lot thinner than elsewhere. It's Occam's Razor.