Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Travelling To Australia (Sydney) from New Zealand with methadone

cactusman123

Greenlighter
At the end of the month my partner and I are travelling to Sydney for 2 weeks from New Zealand. We are on methadone, we a normally prescribed biodone extra forte (10mg/ml). Our doses are in the 100-150mg daily range.

Does anyone know if it is illegal or not allowed to travel from NZ to NSW, Australia with liquid methadone? The clinic we attend will take care of the required documentation etc. They have said they will prescribe tablets due to it being easier when it comes to customs. I'm not fussed about it being easy or hard with customs, surely there is a rule..... You either can or can't take liquid medication! Personally I think taking 20-30 tablets a day is silly when a perfectly good alternative is available. Basically if it is possible to take liquid that's what I want to take!

I work with a guy who travelled from NZ to AUS with liquid methadone for about a week or two stay last year and it was ok, tho I'm not sure if he declared it or not.

Take all related documentation with you, even a script if possible. Methadone that has been prescribed to you is a medication just like anything else you might be able to purchase from a pharmacy. Keep your doctors or clinic's phone number with you, so anyone with questions can contact the right people who can vouch for you. If you are without any of this available when searched, then you should be worried otherwise, it's just like any other medication.

i'd be speaking to your doc and probably someone like customs about the laws involved. there's a pdf that can be tracked down via google (sorry. i forget the search term) which has every bit of information you're after. you should try a few which are common sense and likely to bring up the relative terms and conditions, rules, etc.

essentially the gist of it is you get necessary paperwork from your doctor and go through an appeal of sorts (it is an scheduled drug, ya know and places like russia don't allow it). i think australia lets your bring up to 3 months worth of personal supply throughout your stay.

this is just a rough guide. as i said ask your doctor and with a quick google you can bring up the necessary info.

As stated above get a med cert from your doc or gp or at least have the number with you, also the script.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4369.asp#e1053

Drugs and narcotics (restricted import)
Description:

Drugs being chemicals and compounds as listed in Schedule 4 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations. This includes

isomers or mixture of isomers of a controlled chemicals or compounds;
a derivative of a controlled chemical or compound, including isomers and mixtures of isomers;
substances or things that contain controlled chemical/s or compound/s, including isomers and mixtures of isomers, and derivatives; or
other chemicals and compounds that are an immediate precursor to a controlled chemical or compound.

Exemption

Passengers arriving on board a ship or aircraft do not need a permit if:

the drug is required for their own medical treatment or the treatment of another passenger or animal under their care; AND
has been prescribed by a medical practitioner or veterinarian and the original prescription is presented upon arrival; AND
the amount of drug/s does not exceed three (3) months supply at the maximum prescribed dosage

Schedule 4 (Prescription Only Medicine) – Medicines that can only be obtained with a prescription. This category is for substances for which the use or supply should be by or on the order of persons permitted by State or Territory legislation to prescribe (i.e. a doctor) and should only be available from a pharmacist on prescription.

Have a good trip.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. I guess it is just the clinic deciding people should take tablets as opposed to it being any rule made by customs.

So long as it's prescribed, pills, drink bottles, injection vials or blotters shouldn't matter. That's not the case with some other countries though, be careful if you're planning on travelling further than Aus.