• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Transfer chances..

ruin7xx

Bluelighter
Currently enrolled at: SUNY Cobleskill

Want to transfer to: CUNY Baruch

I went to a public highschool, got decent grades for being decreasingly attentive the last 2 years.

Had about an 84 overall throughout high school, and an 1110 SAT (took once, hungover, didnt study).

I am enrolled at SUNY Cobleskill (NY) the following year. (Not very well known, small agricultural/technology school.)

Major: undecided
3.0- 1st semester (12 cr.)
3.1- 2nd semester (18 cr.)

Since HS, my attitude towards education has changed drastically.
I plan on staying the next two semesters there and switching my major from undeclared to business admin. I will most likely continue to bring the GPA (hopefully). Also at CUNY Baruch Id like to study finance...

What are my chances of being accepted to CUNY Baruch? Lay it on me..

i dont know much about those schools but i have experience within massachusetts and transfer stuff.

in MA we have joint admissions in which if you stay at any school and receive your associates with a 2.5 or higher you are guaranteed admission to your school of choice. If you have a 3.0 or higher then you are eligible for 2/3 off your tuition rate at the 4 year school.

However, you can transfer to a better/different school before after you have more than 16 credits. The higher your GPA is, the better. Give a call to your school of choice you want to head into, see if you can come in for a meeting with a transfer counselor.

Even one year of college level work with a good GPA makes a college want to accept you. It shows you grew up and are serious about your education (if you did bad in hs).

Wow, i just re-read my post it sounds confusing :(

thanks for your response dreamgirlie19, that transfer deal you mentioned seems pretty sweet.

Do you go to school in MA, and if so, where? major?

CUNY Baruch is only 4k/year tuition and is a commuter campus, which is all within close proximity to Wall St. and other financial districts. The school is highly regarded in terms of its business program (Zicklin), which is ranked 47th-48th in the nation. With a ungrad unrollment of around 15k though, the acceptance rate for undergrad admissions is pretty low, at 33% or so. Same for transfer I believe. I'll have to cross my fingers i guess.

yea just try it...worse case scenario its a no and you try again the next semester :) good luck!!! Ill cross my fingers for you.

I go to a privately run two year community college and in the fall I will as of now be at Salem State College but I am still tempted to do Leslie College instead hehe.

My major is Communication/Advertising minor marketing. :)

If you are above CUNY Baruch's required GPA you're basically automatically in. If you are slightly below, you've got a good shot. Typically, SAT scores are not given much weight if they are considered at all in transfer admission criteria. If your GPA is more than a few tenths of a grade point (depending on how selective they are) off what they are looking for, you can sometimes get in based on extra curriculars, recommendations and a strong personal essay.

I don't know what their required GPA is, but let's say you get a 3.2 at your current school and they require a 3.4. In this case you've got a decent chance. If they require a 3.8 and you pull a 3.0, you'd have to be very lucky to get in. Your attitude might have changed, and there might be a place in the personal statement to talk about that, but ultimately they judge you on objective criteria.

Some schools also offer special transfer agreements to exceptional students. Talk to someone at your current school, and at the prospective school.

Also, settle on a major and get as many of the requisite classes out of the way as possible. Having all the core courses for your field of study completed looks good to admission panels.

thanks benefit for your reply

I have 30 credits now, as an undeclared major, i am switching to business next semester at my current school to business admin., and will probably recieve another 30 or so credits or so. I might even just go for the associates in business admin if i can meet the degree requirements by taking extra courses.

Last edited:
Usually the AA requirements and the requirements for your major will be the same, or largely the same so it won't hurt to go that route. But, depending on what your goals and ambitions are, an Associates is virtually useless for a high-level job. Just something to keep in mind.

I intend to go into finance once I transfer to Baruch

Are you saying its better not get an associates first?and rather just continue on to get a BA?

Hmm... I guess I'm just saying that an AA is essentially useless for an upper level job, so if it's convenient then go for it, but if I was you I wouldn't go out of my way to get the AA. I myself skipped it just because it was extra paperwork to fill out.