• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Tramadol/other opioids. Elderly patients could benefit from different med.

Get_Higher

Bluelighter
Hi, my grandfather is in his mid ninetys and just now slowing down but even with limited mobility he is quite active, could the tramadol he takes for pain exasperate his CHF (congenital heart failure) and would any other opioids be better suited for this particular situation.

I'm not trying to shoo your question but this would probably be a good conversation for your grandpa's doctor. Im sure there are complications about the health of your grandpa that would be much better known by the doctor.

Yeah I understand all that, he just needs a lil push or he will just be a yes man out of habit and looking for some options to bring up with certain family members to get him thinking about it.

I can't imagine why tramadol would worsen heart failure, but as @falsifiedhypothesi has said we are not doctors. Even if I was a doctor, I could not make medication suggestions based on the very limited information provided.

If you do not trust your gran's doctor you should seek out a second opinion. None of us are in the position to properly weigh in on this situation.

Or if you'd prefer a more typical BL answer:

TELL UR GRAN TO ASK HER YES MAN DOCTOR FOR ENOUGH OXYS TO SHARE FAM!

Lol, thanks guys, I knew it was strange/unorthodox inquiry. I’ll just have to push the main group of family caretakers, of which I’m an integral part of to broaden their scope and also look deeper at meds, diet, activity, lighting, schedules, circadian rhythms, mental health ect. Many thanks...

In my experience, Tramadol is quite safe for the elderly, leave his regimine alone. My elderly uncle has severe kidney and heart failure and tramadol helped him very much without making him loopy. His doctor knows what he is doing, if you see bad side effects then bring it up to the doctor.

Tramadol imo is also less likely to be stolen from the defenseless elderly vs something like oxy ...