• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Trading in Adderall for Vyvanse

perpetually_unsynced

Greenlighter
Alright, so this is a bit of an odd question.

My psychiatrist just wrote me a prescription for Vyvanse on the condition that I bring what I have left of Adderall IR (which was too short lived for me) back to trade it in at the pharmacy. He wrote it explicitly on his request to fill.

The problem is that I flushed those bad boys down the toilet, and didn’t tell him that because I was told afterward that you should never flush scheduled drugs. I was worried that, if I told him I flushed them, he wouldn’t help me with treatment anymore.

Fortunately, my pharmacist has a take-back bin in the waiting room; however I’m stressing out that they’ll somehow find out and forever put me on an addict list or something. I thought about putting other, similar looking meds in the bottle and throwing it in there with the name sharpied out, but I’m worried that the pharmacist will ask for the bottle, I’ll say I put it in the bin, and they’ll go digging.

Am I being over paranoid here? Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

You'll have to tell him the truth. Trying to pass off fake adderall to the pharmacist is a bad idea.

Why'd you flush it out of curiosity?

You'll have to tell him the truth. Trying to pass off fake adderall to the pharmacist is a bad idea.

Why'd you flush it out of curiosity?
I’ve always been told to flush unused meds. Just thought that was the way to do it. I had no idea pharmacies could even take back medication. I had a lot of adverse reactions to it, like nausea. I know a lot of people like it, but it just wasn’t pleasant for me.

My psych, who is one of only two in the area, is notorious for falsely accusing patients of being addicts and withdrawing treatment, according to reviews online. Since I’ve started treatment, I’ve been worried that one wrong move will cause the same to happen to me, which is why I didn’t tell him.

Even though you only have 2 psychiatrists near you, there has been a rise in virtual psychiatric services, some of whom do prescribe things like vyvanse etc. The only issue is that you'll have to pay out of pocket for the consultations. Some specialize in ADHD treatment. The medication itself is covered by insurance.

If you pay out of pocket, the best answer is the one above me. lol

If you paid for em, they're still your meds & you don't have to give them to anybody.

Curious what happened in OP's situation since I'd assume it's been long enough and OP had to tell him something.

Just my 2 cents but obviously he didn't really flush his adderall. He ran out, too early for a refill so he hits up his psych and says " Listen , man, those addies that everyone else loves don't work good for me. Can you give me some vyvance instead." Psych has his number and says sure....I will give ya some. If you are on the up and up you should have some leftover addies as you just had them filled them 2 weeks ago.

Guy thinks " oh shit...those babies are long gone. Better tell him I flushed them. Psych thinks " yeah, sure ya did"

Now guy is screwed. If he wants those vyvance he has to come up with something. He thinks, okay, I will throw some aspirin in this here empty addy bottle and fool that pharmacist right proper.

So he tries it and the pharmacist rips up his script in tiny pieces because he has had it this whole time. OP goes home and just cries and cries and wishes he would have just told the truth in the first place.

Just my 2 cents but obviously he didn't really flush his adderall. He ran out, too early for a refill so he hits up his psych and says " Listen , man, those addies that everyone else loves don't work good for me. Can you give me some vyvance instead." Psych has his number and says sure....I will give ya some. If you are on the up and up you should have some leftover addies as you just had them filled them 2 weeks ago.

Guy thinks " oh shit...those babies are long gone. Better tell him I flushed them. Psych thinks " yeah, sure ya did"

Now guy is screwed. If he wants those vyvance he has to come up with something. He thinks, okay, I will throw some aspirin in this here empty addy bottle and fool that pharmacist right proper.

So he tries it and the pharmacist rips up his script in tiny pieces because he has had it this whole time. OP goes home and just cries and cries and wishes he would have just told the truth in the first place.
You know... that makes a lot of sense. more sense than the OPs story really.

I don’t get the drama with people running out of their script a couple of days early. If you have ADHD and take close to prescribed doses you develop neither addiction nor tolerance. Lots of patients don’t bother taking the meds on weekends for example. Different story of course if you are abusing them.