• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Toronto Joining Vancouver in Talks With Ottawa on full decriminalization.

Joey

Bluelighter

As co-chair of the Edmonton Zone Medical Staff Association's opioid poisoning committee, Salvalaggio is part of a group advocating for the urgent expansion of new overdose prevention sites in all of Alberta's major cities and broader access to a safer drug supply to tackle the current crisis — and she said longer-term, decriminalization needs to remain part of the conversation.

"The drug supply that is currently circulating is, if anything, just getting from bad to worse, and that's not going to get solved by trying to take what's currently on the street off," Salvalaggio added. "So we need a much more comprehensive approach."

According to Buckley, the physician from CAMH, curbing the overdose crisis in both the short and long term requires a slate of tactics — including decriminalizing drugs, improving access to a safer drug supply and addiction treatments, and educating Canadians on the potential harms of drug use.

It’s going to be a long process but I’m actually pretty hopeful with the speed things are getting done this last couple years. These foundations becoming set in stone as a defacto structural support in building the programs which are coming, or heavily vested in research, with the urgency that’s apparent across the Country toward drug policy reform and harm reduction programming. What’s happened already has vastly outpaced what the average person knows to be existing in these fields, let alone the ins and outs of the social and economic outcomes which are actively being proven with initiatives like BC having mandated safer supply across all health agencies. The fact of the individual agencies with their individual or smaller collective views isn’t ideal, or even good to some policy advocates from what I’ve read. But in actuality, having to contend with the better programs making better bank both economically and in making strides socially leads me to believe in the obvious outcome. The resulting guidelines developed out of the successes and failures of each health agency will end so that a safer supply will wind up more widely available to a wider range of people wanting and needing the service. The drugs used better (imagine hydromorphones 5x 6mg as a starter vs 3 dilaudid 4mg. imagine some places using actual (legal since 2016 in use for OUD) diacetylmorphine aka heroin. Individually the heroin is the 3rd option and ideally an agency should have as 3 on offer alongside the other options already existing in methadone / sublocade / suboxone / etc. With the overarching principal that this will not operate like the meth/sub clinics to be both effective and available..

There’s a whole world of differences between federal drug strategy, policy changes, health Canada, suborfanizations, funding, to provincial health care being seperate every province, to city hall and down town to the individual office where Dr. Fentamill straight up shoves patches and patches in your body so hard ~ not a single orifice is left available for Dr.DrugzRBadMmmmKandiHatePuppiesAsWell to prescribe you the single Tylenol 2 he scripted to the pharmacy that’s always out of the 2s, on purpose. My examples are extremely silly that extreme but that’s kind of how things actually operate.

celebrate the victories I guess. The Wars only begun to turn our way - judicially.