• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tobacco and frequency of use

oxymoron310

Bluelighter
If I only smoked maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a week, would I notice any difference in my physical abilities like running?

over time yea, your still smoking.
it wouldnt be nearly as bad as smoking half a pack a day+ though

I never noticed any difference when I smoked that amount and ran/worked out. I was running about 25 miles a week then and biking, so i think the amount of pulmonary exercise was enough to easily overcome the cigarettes.

I wasn't taking any opiates or any respiratory depressants then either. Those make a lot of difference.

I'm no expert, but I honestly don't think 3-4 ciggies a week will have much of an effect on your physical abilities.

If I only smoked maybe 3 or 4 cigarettes a week, would I notice any difference in my physical abilities like running?

Yes it would it will affect your longs an be very hard to breath not a good decision if you barely smoke

And it won't be 3 or 4 cigs a week for long, trust me.

Nicotine is THE most addictive substance known to man, fact.

^ It's not the physical addiction that gets you when you try to set strict limits like this. The mental addiction is what creeps up on you. Then whenever you're in a social situation with the opportunity to smoke, it's almost impossible not to.

Then the physical addiction sets in and in the long run your physical abilities will be effected.

Do yourself the favor of stopping now.

I am very athletic and began smoking a few months ago. I smoke about half a pack to a pack a day and have noticed no difference in my abilities other than additional breaks in workouts... but not because of exhaustion / out of breath etc. I gotta have a smoke break. X'DD

maybe switch to dipping snuff, it gives you the same nice buzz but without the toxic smoke. Yes it can still cause cancer. Yeah some sissies think it's unsightly.

I am very athletic and began smoking a few months ago. I smoke about half a pack to a pack a day and have noticed no difference in my abilities other than additional breaks in workouts... but not because of exhaustion / out of breath etc. I gotta have a smoke break. X'DD

Your already up to a pack a day after only a few months?
Why are u smoking?
Makes no sense to me.8o
Quit NOW. It only gets harder the longer u smoke.
It's true, Nicotine is the most addictive drug there is and u don't even get high.:X

You can't smoke 3-4 ciggs a week, unless you don't actually inhale. It will turn into more once you inhale a whole cigg.

If you smoke you shouldn't be doing any intense physical activity your lungs won't handle it.

If you're really into running or anything physical, don't start smoking.

I smoke because I absolutely hate physical activity, and it does release a fair bit of dopamine, it's especially good if you're already high on something else.

Just curious...
But why would you even bother smoking if you obviously don't have any kind of addiction or dependence?
I never understood why some people will smoke on occasion or very infequently.
Don't get me wrong- I am a chain smoker.
But it's a bad habit and it's not cheap.

It isn't that uncommon for ppl to have just a few smokes per week - my cousin has pulled it off for years - she will bum a smoke now and again - don't know if she has ever bought and finished a pack .

It's not uncommon, but they usually don't even inhale that much when they social smoke, once you begin inhaling the whole thing you're gonna be tempted to buy that first pack.

I guess I'm just not one of those lucky people who can smoke without the addiction, then! :\

Last edited:
Dipping is a horrible alternative. I work with a guy who goes through 2-3 tins a day of skoal long cut and swallows the juice!

Just curious...
But why would you even bother smoking if you obviously don't have any kind of addiction or dependence?
I never understood why some people will smoke on occasion or very infequently.
Don't get me wrong- I am a chain smoker.
But it's a bad habit and it's not cheap.

I smoked 3-4 cigs a day for about 12 years, very rarely more than that and I honestly don't think my body would have been able to take smoking more frequently than that, despite how relaxing it feels to have a cig. After the 12 years I quit but started again a couple of years ago but just have one cig a week (usually on Sunday when I'm coming down). Personally I haven't really noticed any decreased lung capacity or feel short of breath when I do moderate physical activity like mowing the grass or stairs. It mostly just bothers my throat and makes me feel a bit lethargic.