• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Tinnitus (ringing in ears) caused by kratom?

darvocet21

Bluelighter
I've had this issue for several months at least, and ascribed it to different drugs without much insight. Now I'm looking at supplements I take.

Lately I've noticed the annoying presence of a very high-pitched, unmodulating nuisance noise. Similar to the hiss emitted when a lot of electronics are plugged into an outlet. Whatever it is seems to be coming from my inner ear, and is more noticeable in quieter surroundings when I'm not distracted, such as when I'm trying to fall asleep. At times it's barely noticeable, but never seems to completely goes away

Has anybody experienced this as a side effect of regular kratom use? The first time I tried kratom was about 3 years ago, but I've only taken it fairly regularly for about 2 years.

I've had that ringing more and more lately but I attribute it to tinnitus. I have used kratom regularly for the past 3 years and haven't noticed any patterns with the ringing in my ears.

I've had quite bad tinnitus since I was a child, born with it.

I can 100% say that kratom does not make my tinnitus worse, but that may just apply to me. I can name several drugs that make it a lot worse, trazodone for example.

Kratom is also known to lower blood pressure so a high blood pressure might not be causing your tinnitus

is tinnitus new for you?

I know how shitty it can be especially trying to sleep, since I was a kid I have to listen to a TV/Radio or have a very loud fan to sleep or else the tinnitus makes me want to blow my brains out (super annoying)

I feel really bad for people who have it worse than me , if it were any worse it would make me suicidal (seriously)

I've had quite bad tinnitus since I was a child, born with it.

I can 100% say that kratom does not make my tinnitus worse, but that may just apply to me. I can name several drugs that make it a lot worse, trazodone for example.

Kratom is also known to lower blood pressure so a high blood pressure might not be causing your tinnitus

is tinnitus new for you?

I know how shitty it can be especially trying to sleep, since I was a kid I have to listen to a TV/Radio or have a very loud fan to sleep or else the tinnitus makes me want to blow my brains out (super annoying)

I feel really bad for people who have it worse than me (I have it quite bad), if it were any worse it would make me suicidal (seriously)
always had transitory tinnitus ... this is persistent though it isn't as oppressive sounding as yours. Mine is barely noticeable at the moment. Which is interesting because I have just been up and active for the past 15 minutes. It seems to be worse for me when I'm lying down

always had transitory tinnitus ... this is persistent though it isn't as oppressive sounding as yours. Mine is barely noticeable at the moment. Which is interesting because I have just been up and active for the past 15 minutes. It seems to be worse for me when I'm lying down
What's your blood pressure like? Mine definitely gets worse when I have hypertension.

What you describe sounds like it could be your blood pressure exacerbating it

I don't know about tinnitus but certain piperidine derived opioids like oxycodone have a rare but documented side effect of hearing loss

I don't know about tinnitus but certain piperidine derived opioids like oxycodone have a rare but documented side effect of hearing loss
Didn't that Rush Limbaugh guy go deaf due to his oxy addiction? He was on hundreds of mgs per day for years while doing his famous talk show lol

Interesting timing; I awoke with a dull humming in my left ear. Welcome, tinnitus. I wasn't exactly expecting you, but enjoy this sojourn.

I only wish it were a better tune than German industrial.

sound #2 is what I hear

started when I was about 8 years old :(

for years I thought that's what silence was supposed to sound like!! I took the adage "silence is loud" as fact....

also these sounds are only so accurate, it sounds different when you're "hearing" it in your brain

Interesting timing; I awoke with a dull humming in my left ear. Welcome, tinnitus. I wasn't exactly expecting you, but enjoy this sojourn.

I only wish it were a better tune than German industrial.
You do not like ze Deutsch synth-pop? But das ist gut
20210618-100820.jpg

I had tinnitus recently as a symptom of antipsychotic withdrawal syndrome ( unless it was from acid). Came with a general dizzyness lasting several days.

It's always either acid or antipsychotics, ain't that the truth 🤩

Luckily for me no dizziness. Tho come to think of it I do get a little orthostatic hypotension or dizziness sometimes upon standing up

I've had tinnitus for about 9 years now, as a direct result of the antidepressant I'm on, duloxetine. It's listed as a "Rare" side effect of the medication. Most of the time it is significantly louder in my left ear than my right ear, and can cause me a lot of trouble sleeping if it's too quiet at night. Luckily I live on a main road that is rarely quiet. Unfortunately it has also significantly impacted my hearing in general, and as a result of a combination of things I am actually pretty deaf now, I'd say I've lost close to 50% of my normal hearing in my left ear.

sound #2 is what I hear

started when I was about 8 years old :(

for years I thought that's what silence was supposed to sound like!! I took the adage "silence is loud" as fact....

also these sounds are only so accurate, it sounds different when you're "hearing" it in your brain

A mix of sounds #2, #3 and #4 is most similar to what I hear, although it's slightly different in my left and right ear. If I focus on it I can even differentiate two separate tones in my left ear.

Anyway, regarding the topic, opiates definitely make my tinnitus and general hearing worse.

What's your blood pressure like? Mine definitely gets worse when I have hypertension.

What you describe sounds like it could be your blood pressure exacerbating it
My tinnitus gets Worse when I drink for long periods of time. My tinnitus definitely coincides with high blood pressure, obesity and poor health in general. it can take a month of no alcohol, losing weight and eating healthier before I see a change in my tinnitus. Obviously, during this time of abstinence the blood pressure drops back to normal 125/80 ish from a floor of 140/90.
hell, I’ve had 160/95 be the norm during withdrawal. I think drugs in general, when abused throws are body out of rhythm.

high blood pressure isn’t just about the heart, the kidneys, liver, lungs all play a role. drugs ( alcohol is always considered a drug ) put substantial strain on all these organs. So maybe tinnitus is our body telling us something is wrong? I don’t have peer reviewed articles to back that up, just personal experience with fucking my body up.

I've had tinnitus for about 9 years now, as a direct result of the antidepressant I'm on, duloxetine. It's listed as a "Rare" side effect of the medication. Most of the time it is significantly louder in my left ear than my right ear, and can cause me a lot of trouble sleeping if it's too quiet at night. Luckily I live on a main road that is rarely quiet. Unfortunately it has also significantly impacted my hearing in general, and as a result of a combination of things I am actually pretty deaf now, I'd say I've lost close to 50% of my normal hearing in my left ear.

A mix of sounds #2, #3 and #4 is most similar to what I hear, although it's slightly different in my left and right ear. If I focus on it I can even differentiate two separate tones in my left ear.

Anyway, regarding the topic, opiates definitely make my tinnitus and general hearing worse.
I made the mistake of putting my phone speaker up to my ear and turning up the volume. Youch! Luckily it was my left ear where I have less tinnitus. None of those is exactly what I experience but Sound 5 is closest.