• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Tick Bites

malakaix

Bluelighter
I had the unfortunate experience of been bitten by upto 5 ticks on the weekend out at a Doof (Bush Party). Four of them were tiny ones that i was able to pull out with ease without the head breaking off; but one of them was big that i had to be more careful with removing. It's been a couple of days and the bites themselves are extremely itchy and a little swollen; i'm feeling a little sick but nothing major. As far as i know there's little chance of ticks in Australia carrying alot of the mentioned diseases that often come with been exposed to been bitten.

I'm going to goto work today and see how it goes and hopefully have the weekend to recover, if not i suppose i'll need to goto the doctor for antibiotics.. i was wondering if there's anything else i should do or look out for? The itching is ridiculous, is there anything i can use to reduce that?

Thanks

Lyme disease carried by ticks is prevalent in North America and the after bite ends up looking like this.
220px-Bullseye_Lyme_Disease_Rash.jpg

Otherwise they are harmless.

Are there other common tick borne diseases in Australia?
Are you feeling a little sick due to doof borne ingestables? ;)

Awesome, just thought i would get a 'second opinion' here.. some information i've found has a tendency to overdramatise the negative effects of tick bites. As far as i know any diseases tick's carry here is rare, so i think any symptoms should pass soon enough.

Are you feeling a little sick due to doof borne ingestables? ;)

Haha, quite possibly ;) I've felt alot better towards the end of today.. just very itchy which hopefully should subside in a few days or so.

the bullseye rash is not as common with lyme as you would think from reading most of the popular press about it.

there are other tickborne diseases as well common to north america. i have no idea about australia.

having said that sort of alarmist stuff, itchiness after a tick bite is common. hydrocortizone or a similar anti-itch will probably help, or you could just tough it out.

one of the most interesting types of tick and tick diseases is found on the East Coast of Australia

a certain type of tick's bite can cause complete paralysis. thankfully, it is often found more in farm animals than humans. not to get you all worried, but I find this fascinating

Ixodes holocyclus

^ I've seen some the size of golf balls when I've been out roo shooting. Disgusting :\

The other problem with Lyme disease is that it's difficult to test for. Lots of reports of negative tests, but good response to treatments. I've heard that some doctors will treat it blind.

If you are aware of being bitten it is usually a good idea to go to the doctor just in case. The bulls eye rash is only present about 40% of the time. They will typically give you a cycle of antibiotics to be safe. Lyme and it's highly common co-infections are typically detectable and easily treatable in the first ten days or so. The more time that passes, the more difficult it becomes. It is treatable but not curable. Im in my sixth month of chronic lyme treatment. It can be tragicically debilitating.

Tick bites are no laughing matter especially 5 of them. After having battled chronic lyme for 4 years please just go to the doc to have the reactions looked and possibly a round of antibiotics if warranted.

Side note Axl Blaze that is DISGUSTING I'm literally cringing.

well, hopefully dude did go to the doc 2+ years ago. you guys are responding to an old thread.

Yeah to clarify nothing developed from the tick bites beyond the most intense itching ive ever experienced for 2-3 weeks.

One time I had a tic on my ball sac.
lol i had that too man. I was drinking with friends at a bush party and I was like "what the fuck is biting my gooch?", went to the bathroom and there was a fucking tick there! Ripped the fucker off within milliseconds