• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom three questions about kratom

prettypoppy

Greenlighter
I've been a poppy tea user. Got addicted physically then quit, I went 122 days clean, didn't look back... and then randomly picked up the habit again a few days ago.

I'm interested in maybe replacing the habit with kratom.

My questions:
- is it easy to grow the plant myself? Growing poppies is easy, hell I found some as weeds around where I live. Is Kratom the same? How hard is it to grow?
- what form is it supposed to come in, if i'm not growing it myself? a powder?
- I live in the UK and have had no issues finding poppy pods/seeds online, it seems the government doesnt give a shit about regulating them. However, are kratom sources equally safe? Can I expect to get arrested if I am found to be buying kratom?

thank you for reading!

Edit:

Thank you everyone who responded. I ended up buying kratom soon after making this post, it wasn't hard to find a vendor online. It works fantastically for my chronic pain issues, better than anything else I've ever used, which is why I started taking opiates in the first place, so this a great win!

The poppy tea habit stuck around because kratom doesn't seem to provide much of a mood boost, however I have only tried 1 strain so far- the red maeng da. Having it as an option has been very useful though, it's kept my poppy tolerance from raising much this past month, as now I'm mostly using poppies for solely the emotional benefit instead of mood helper + painkiller in one. It also doesn't make me any more energetic, but that may have to do with the fact that I have ADHD and I'm on methylphenidate for it, or it may have to do with me needing to experiment more with the strains. idk.
Either way, thank you for answering my questions and I'm glad to see people are using the post for further discussion.

Last edited:
Hi,

Kratom comes from the leaves off of a tree. The trees grow in SE Asia and other warm climates. I think the UK is too cold to grow a decent tree and it probably takes years.

It comes in powder form from the crushed up leaves. They also are made into stronger extracts. Some people brew tea with it, some throw the powder in their mouth and others ( like me ) consume it in capsule form.

Not sure if kratom is legal in the UK. A quick Google search will give you the answer. If you are buying pods and not getting arrested chances are you won't get arrested for the kratom. But check the legality of it anyway.

Welcome to bluelight.

Kratom is legal in the US. Try to find a source that will test their products for impurities. The brand I buy, Viable Kratom, not only tests but gives you access to the results, which I love because of their transparency.

I used to be addicted to poppy tea myself. Kratom can also be addictive, so basically you’re trading one addition for another. Just be aware of that…

You should definitely look up your local laws, we can't give you any insight on that.

I have been taking kratom nearly continuously for 5 years, and obviously, I'm addicted. Kratom can be a useful tool for getting off of stronger opiates but make no mistake it is equally addictive, you will almost certainly end up with a large habit in short order due to your past experience with poppys.

You won't be able to grow it yourself but, assuming it's legal, buying powdered leaf can be a cheap and reasonable source.

I have not been taking Kratom for very long...a few months. Only a couple tsps a night. However, each day the fatigue is terrible at work, but then at home later, after a couple tsps of Kratom, I feel refreshed. Started this stuff for pain management, but now OMG....is this stuff really that physically addictive? Have never used it during the day. Can kratom really take away fatigue?.....that is probably from using kratom in the evening to begin with?

this stuff really that physically addictive?
I don't know what you mean by "that", but yes. Some would prefer codeine withdrawal over kratom one.

Can kratom really take away fatigue?
Yes. It has both opioid and stimulant properties. Something like "natural" tramadol.

that is probably from using kratom in the evening to begin with?
From what you wrote I can only gather that you are physically dependent on kratom and the pattern of use and results you get should infere if not addiction then certainly dependence.

Kratom is no H or oxycodone but it surely is not "a herbal coffee like benign plant/substance". You seem new to kratom and I would highly recommend that you schedule a week off work and stop using it. The withdrawal is short lasting and you are still in the position where you can decide to not be enslaved by an opioid. If you don't need it or simply want it that is. I am not judging - it is up to you to decide what you want in life and what works for you. But if havingan opioid addiction/habbit is not in line with your goals then you should try to kick kratom cause it only gets worse after that. Take care man and keep us informed.

Kratom is legal in the US. Try to find a source that will test their products for impurities. The brand I buy, Viable Kratom, not only tests but gives you access to the results, which I love because of their transparency.

I used to be addicted to poppy tea myself. Kratom can also be addictive, so basically you’re trading one addition for another. Just be aware of that…
Some states have banned it, but ordering it online would almost certainly cause no issues. It's legal in my state and I ordered online for awhile, but I have a headshop with very good and consistent quality. It's a bit more pricey but I found online vendor batches could be inconsistent. You can DM me if you want some good sources.

Edit: Are sourcing vendors allowed then? I see xtcgirl did but I'd assumed up to this point that wasn't allowed, probably because of some time I spent on the kratom subreddit (this place is toxic, stay out lol). If you even mention feeling a high from it you'll be banned pretty much. They just try to make it seem like as little of an opioid as possible, like coffees cousin, a miracle drug. They purge any posts about negative experiences basically, and this is dangerous because it can lead new users into addiction or thinking withdrawals are nothing.

This is exactly what happened to me in 2017, but PsychedSubstances is what brought it to the attention of a friend of mine and I and one day we got some from a head shop. I'll never forget how amazing I felt the first time taking it, like I was young again. Naturally that honeymoon period goes away, and I started taking higher doses soon and really nodding off hard, because it certainly can make you do that if you never really used opioids before.

I experienced the hellish withdrawal 6 months later, I'd only used it daily for 4-5 months but that was still enough to put me in an awful place. Fortunately even though the withdrawal can be on par with any opiate, they don't last more than 2-3 days in my experience.

Funnily enough, a few months later, PsychedSubstances put up a video called "I was wrong about kratom" and how he got addicted and had even worse withdrawals. So combined with the subreddit and his videos glorifying the stuff, a lot of people got addicted.

People try to make kratom seem too harmless, and it is, really, pretty harmless as far as how the substance works. You really can't overdose or die from the stuff, because it has opioid antagonism, meaning a very high dose will basically cancel itself out, or you'll just puke it up because it's a bunch of bubblegloop swamp in your stomach. Extracts from gas stations are what's sketchy because some of these have morphine and shit added to them, or have been known to. But kratom, by itself, is the safest opioid in the world and could single handedly end the opiate crisis.

Personally I have no reason to be using the stuff anymore, I just like it. I don't exactly regret getting into it either way, because it can be really great for depression and anxiety, and in that period of 2017, I was very, very suicidal and being given so many pharmaceuticals that were making it worse. Kratom allowed me to start opening up to people better in critical ways. It helped me grow and develop into a better person, but it did overstay its welcome and eventually it was clear that I didn't need it anymore, the effects were getting more subtle anyway. It was just this ritualistic idea.

Last edited:
Kratom is safer than poppy seed tea with respects to dying from respiratory depression. However, it is more of a partial agonist, and will not immediately substitute for strong addictions. You likely won't get deep nods with kratom ever.

Though the lack of respiratory depression with it makes it a pretty decent tradeoff.

Some states have banned it, but ordering it online would almost certainly cause no issues. It's legal in my state and I ordered online for awhile, but I have a headshop with very good and consistent quality. It's a bit more pricey but I found online vendor batches could be inconsistent. You can DM me if you want some good sources.

Edit: Are sourcing vendors allowed then? I see xtcgirl did but I'd assumed up to this point that wasn't allowed, probably because of some time I spent on the kratom subreddit (this place is toxic, stay out lol). If you even mention feeling a high from it you'll be banned pretty much. They just try to make it seem like as little of an opioid as possible, like coffees cousin, a miracle drug. They purge any posts about negative experiences basically, and this is dangerous because it can lead new users into addiction or thinking withdrawals are nothing.

This is exactly what happened to me in 2017, but PsychedSubstances is what brought it to the attention of a friend of mine and I and one day we got some from a head shop. I'll never forget how amazing I felt the first time taking it, like I was young again. Naturally that honeymoon period goes away, and I started taking higher doses soon and really nodding off hard, because it certainly can make you do that if you never really used opioids before.

I experienced the hellish withdrawal 6 months later, I'd only used it daily for 4-5 months but that was still enough to put me in an awful place. Fortunately even though the withdrawal can be on par with any opiate, they don't last more than 2-3 days in my experience.

Funnily enough, a few months later, PsychedSubstances put up a video called "I was wrong about kratom" and how he got addicted and had even worse withdrawals. So combined with the subreddit and his videos glorifying the stuff, a lot of people got addicted.

People try to make kratom seem too harmless, and it is, really, pretty harmless as far as how the substance works. You really can't overdose or die from the stuff, because it has opioid antagonism, meaning a very high dose will basically cancel itself out, or you'll just puke it up because it's a bunch of bubblegloop swamp in your stomach. Extracts from gas stations are what's sketchy because some of these have morphine and shit added to them, or have been known to. But kratom, by itself, is the safest opioid in the world and could single handedly end the opiate crisis.

Personally I have no reason to be using the stuff anymore, I just like it. I don't exactly regret getting into it either way, because it can be really great for depression and anxiety, and in that period of 2017, I was very, very suicidal and being given so many pharmaceuticals that were making it worse. Kratom allowed me to start opening up to people better in critical ways. It helped me grow and develop into a better person, but it did overstay its welcome and eventually it was clear that I didn't need it anymore, the effects were getting more subtle anyway. It was just this ritualistic idea.
Nope, we're not technically allowed to source via PM, but it's definitely been known to happen.
Kratom is illegal in the UK as it's covered by that fucking blanket ban, sadly. I can't encourage you, but it's unlikely that your parcel would be intercepted, and of it was, a green powder looks unlike anyone's idea of a "drug". The bizzies would think it was just herbal tea or something.

I have not been taking Kratom for very long...a few months. Only a couple tsps a night. However, each day the fatigue is terrible at work, but then at home later, after a couple tsps of Kratom, I feel refreshed. Started this stuff for pain management, but now OMG....is this stuff really that physically addictive? Have never used it during the day. Can kratom really take away fatigue?.....that is probably from using kratom in the evening to begin with?
I encourage you to weigh your typical dose to see how much you are actually taking. There is approximately 5g in one level tablespoon.

Kratom is amazing at relieving fatigue, but fatigue is one of the withdrawal symptoms. You may also feel some muscle pain, restlessness, anxiety, runny nose, teary eyes, yawning, etc.

Taking more than >8g per day is bound to cause addiction over time.

It's OK to mention brands of kratom, but please don't link to the websites or other sources.

Kratom is banned in about 5 or 6 states I believe, but would be easy to just drive across the border. I have heard of cases of people ordering it online, then in transit it was seized after traveling through a banned state :facepalm: , but they ordered over a pound of the stuff.

I remember that psyche substance video, heh.

I feel pretty much the same. Objectively, kratom is indeed harmless in many ways other than one; addiction. I think it's addictiveness is often understated by enthusiasts, but so is weed.

If it's not respected and abused recklessly, the withdrawals are really quite severe. Cold turkey from an 8 year 30-40g per day habit was horrific. The first week was less acutely bad compared to something like heroin, but the protracted withdrawals and PAWS were even worse, partially because it also feels like withdrawing from an SSRI, antipsychotic and coffee (in a way) at the same time. The PAWS are like a tripple whammy.

That's a rather extreme example, though. Kratom can be quite forgiving and is VERY easy to taper compared to all other drugs, in my experience.

If the "less is more" adage is followed, it's basically harmless. I used to scoff at this, but my attitude has changed.

Yeah less is more is real shit indeed. Even if you start taking 15g or so and don't feel much, you're still flooding the receptors and it'll make you want to keep taking more just for any chance at a feeling. I was up to 20ish grams at one point, now I take 6-7g a day. I take less on days I work in the morning, and more on days off. This kind of works but I need to get my doses consistent, 3g was absolutely wrecking me at one point, but on my days off I've been taking 6g but just that, rather than like, 3-4g in the morning and a 1-1.5g re-dose in the evening. Because of the unstable regimen I'm on I had suuuuuper bad withdrawal fatigue this evening, like I couldn't even keep my head up. But I didn't sleep great last night and had an awful fragmented lucid dream type of nap combined with some sleep paralysis which definitely will tire you out. But I knew it was withdrawal largely, because of how much better I felt after 1.4g.

I've been a poppy tea user. Got addicted physically then quit, I went 122 days clean, didn't look back... and then randomly picked up the habit again a few days ago.

I'm interested in maybe replacing the habit with kratom.

My questions:
- is it easy to grow the plant myself? Growing poppies is easy, hell I found some as weeds around where I live. Is Kratom the same? How hard is it to grow?
- what form is it supposed to come in, if i'm not growing it myself? a powder?
- I live in the UK and have had no issues finding poppy pods/seeds online, it seems the government doesnt give a shit about regulating them. However, are kratom sources equally safe? Can I expect to get arrested if I am found to be buying kratom?

thank you for reading!

Edit:

Thank you everyone who responded. I ended up buying kratom soon after making this post, it wasn't hard to find a vendor online. It works fantastically for my chronic pain issues, better than anything else I've ever used, which is why I started taking opiates in the first place, so this a great win!

The poppy tea habit stuck around because kratom doesn't seem to provide much of a mood boost, however I have only tried 1 strain so far- the red maeng da. Having it as an option has been very useful though, it's kept my poppy tolerance from raising much this past month, as now I'm mostly using poppies for solely the emotional benefit instead of mood helper + painkiller in one. It also doesn't make me any more energetic, but that may have to do with the fact that I have ADHD and I'm on methylphenidate for it, or it may have to do with me needing to experiment more with the strains. idk.
Either way, thank you for answering my questions and I'm glad to see people are using the post for further discussion.
I grow mitragyna speciosa. Its fairly easy IF you are in a humid and warm environments. Think Indonesia. Kratom needs at least 65 degree (f) and at least 50% humidity. Those are the lows