• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

This Scientist Has Invented a Synthetic Booze That Will End Hangovers and Alcohol-Rel

poledriver

Bluelighter
This Scientist Has Invented a Synthetic Booze That Will End Hangovers and Alcohol-Related Deaths

Fun fact: alcohol abuse leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths every year. It can be a lot of fun to drink, of course, but it is – as someone condescending will definitely have told you at some point in your life – a poison. A toxic liquid that single-handedly keeps Berocca afloat via the hangovers of millions of people, and can also lead to much more serious afflictions than a sore head and an intolerance of loud noises, such as liver cirrhosis, cancer and heart disease.

Lucky, then, that hero of psychonauts and former advisor to the British government, Professor David Nutt, has spent the last decade working on a synthetic booze that promises to do away with all that bad stuff. Nutt is confident that Alcosynth – which admittedly sounds a bit like a new romantic covers band – will have replaced alcohol entirely by 2050, but there are some tough obstacles in its way, from powerful alcohol companies to the absurd Psychoactive Substances Act introduced in the UK earlier this year.

I gave Professor Nutt a call to talk about how Alcosynth will work, and to find out when it might be available to people like you and me.

professor-david-nutt-non-toxic-hangover-proof-alcosynth-booze-body-image-1478004304.jpg

Professor David Nutt (Photo: Matt Shea)

VICE: When did you start working on alcosynth?
Professor David Nutt: Back in 2005, when it was part of the government's Foresight Programme. Twice a year it picks a topic, and the topic that year was brain science and drugs. All of my professional life I have worked to reduce the problems of alcohol. Medicine is awash with alcohol problems, like seizures and withdrawal, so from the first day I was a doctor I've been dealing with alcohol problems in casualty. I've been trying to think of ways to reduce alcohol harm and withdrawal.

This foresight programme was very clever, because you do a lot of abstract brainstorming. We suddenly thought, 'Well, you can never get rid of the harms of alcohol as it's a toxic substance and poisonous – maybe we can replace it.' So for the last ten years we've looked for replacements. The science has moved on a lot; we can mimic the good effects with other pharmacological agents.

And you've found your final version?
We've got two used on human studies and more patented as back-ups. I mean, alcohol has a horrible taste – no one drinks raw alcohol. We're going to mask [the flavour] the same way you mask the taste of alcohol; some will go into non-alcoholic beers and tonics easily, others into sophisticated cocktails. We know they will work in drinks people like to drink. Cocktails will be the route to market.

Many cocktails were invented during Prohibition because, in the speakeasies, the alcohol was hooch, which was horrible. So they had to do intensive taste-masking, so cocktails got interesting and exotic to hide the taste. It's the same idea; you have to mask the taste of alcosynth.

And it'll get rid of the hangover?
Well, hangovers aren't the big issues, but they are the obvious manifestation of alcohol toxicity. Some people get indigestion as well, but getting rid of the hangover is not something we targeted. We could find an anti-hangover drug, but it encourages people to drink more. Hangovers are a deterrent and a model of toxicity. It's not the purpose of alcosynth, but it is proof of its non-toxicity.

Cont -

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/prof...booze?utm_source=vicefbuk&utm_campaign=global

I love David Nutt. Dude knows what's up. This is also an incredible idea in general--kind of like what folks have been doing with GHB, Ketamine, MDMA, Xanax for years--but more of a direct replacement for booze.

Also gotta love this quote (sorry Englanders):

Britain is a waste of space. We're going to go over to proper countries that have a rational approach.

If he were to create the perfect alcohol substitute, there is no way in hell it would be allowed to be legally sold, no matter how safe it is.

I drink Carlton Dry which is a low carb beer. 4.3% alcohol. It gets me drunk and never gives me a hangover. Best beer ever :)

I wonder what kind of drug he has in mind. Some barbiturate and NMDA antagonist cocktail? Or benzo?

Dr. Nutt has been doing great work in the war on the WoD. This particular case should make it obvious to anybody how hypocritical our current drug system is. It's fine to use alcohol recreationally, and a formal search for more safe and pleasant alternatives to it is encouraged, when in reality those alternatives will without a doubt be found to be one of the drugs that people have been taking recreationally all along, albeit "illegally"...But no, only if the purpose is to make alcohol better, is it OK to take substances other than ethanol, caffeine, and nicotine for recreational purposes.

Props to David Nutt, though.

the alcohol lobby will have this man destroyed

and will make sure that this stuff remains illegal

Well GHB/Gbl is most closest to alcohol and it dont give you hungover, also there are some alcohol-analogs taht dont give you hungover, but all these are illegal. He is just creating new drug that will get banned, the alcohol industry dont let anyone new take their money.

I think he may have described the mechanism for this drug in his book - I'll have to have a look and get back to you.

I remember someone posting a video about this a few years back on an alcoholism-specific forum. I remember seeing Dr. Nutt getting quite loaded on this creation, which is a benzo derivative, then reversing the intoxication with flumenzenil. Interesting to see where this all goes.

One of the people commenting said that "it wouldn't be able to get you drunk, just a little tipsy, and then people would drink real alcohol on top of it and cause worse complications."

Anyone know what, if any, evidence he has based the comment on that it wouldn't really get your properly "drunk"?

If its a benzo type drug bow can you get more drunk so to speak.cause if I take one dose of whatever then try to take more and don't get any higher just more memory loss

There is said to be a group of about 5 compounds under development, one of which is said to become commercially available by 2020. There is also a small molecule 'chaperone' said to be 5-methoxy-2-aminoindane that moderates the effect of the alcohol replacement or surrogate. Here is the abstract of a paper published last year by Dr. Nutt & his team.

Toxicological evaluation of 5-methoxy-2-aminoindane (MEAI): Binge mitigating agent in development.

Abstract
5-Methoxy-2-aminoindane (MEAI) is a psychoactive compound of the aminoindane class, which in recent years has been recreationally used by many people, who reported of a mild euphoric, alcohol-like tipsy experience and reduced desire to consume alcoholic beverages. In the light of these observations it was decided to progress MEAI through a preliminary drug development route and evaluate the acute and subacute toxicity of MEAI administrated orally to Sprague Dawley rats, as well as to determine potential in-vitro cytotoxic and mutagenic effects using state-of-the-art protocols. Furthermore, the interaction of MEAI at the highest non-toxic concentration (100mg/L) with ethanol at cytotoxic levels of 6% and 7.5% was explored, in order to identify possible additive or synergistic effects. MEAI showed a good safety profile in rats at 10 and 30mg/kg body weight, corresponding to the human doses of 1.6mg/kg and 4.8mg/kg body weight, respectively. Cytotoxic effect was demonstrated using concentrations of 500 and 1000mg/L with calculated IC50 value of 368.2mg/L for rat brain striatum primary neurons and 403.1mg/L for human primary healthy hepatocytes. The combination of 6% or 7.5% ethanol with 100mg/L MEAI revealed no statistically significant increase of cytotoxic effect. Further studies, especially long term chronic and addictive behavior studies, are required in-order to assess MEAI safety profile.
====================================================================================================
This is a known psychoactive RC & likely would be prohibited as an amphetamine analog.

I ran a European patent search with his name & found nothing. I have also emailed a friend in the U.K. who knows Dr. Nutt & asked him what he might know.

image.jpg

Here's the Wikipedia article on Dr. Nutt: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nutt

Last edited:
I feel like I've seen that offered before during the *AI days

I feel like I've seen that offered before during the *AI days

I think it's been around for a while. This guy Dr. Nutt has been playing around with psychoactive chemicals for a while. Here's a non-technical article about this: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-dry-party-drug-could-target-excess-drinking/ Definitely a designer drug. If he is planning on marketing a Scheduled analog, I don't think it will go any where. The alcohol lobby will see to that, along with the DEA.

Last edited:
I think it's been around for a while. This guy Dr. Nutt has been playing around with psychoactive chemicals for a while. Here's a non-technical article about this: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-dry-party-drug-could-target-excess-drinking/ Definitely a designer drug. If he is planning on marketing a Scheduled analog, I don't think it will go any where. The alcohol lobby will see to that, along with the DEA.

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for Dr. Nutt but I think he is off on a wild goose chase with this "safer alcohol alternative." Frankly, there's a myriad of drugs already that are safer than and can replace alcohol, with the entire class of benzodiazepines being one of the most fitting examples. But even if you found a recreational drug with the exact same effects as alcohol, except that it didn't cause any kind of health problems in the long term, didn't lead to violence, didn't ever cause you to vomit or lose consciousness, and didn't ever lead to addiction, the governments of the world would still reflexively ban it as they do everything else that gets you high and hasn't been "grandfathered in" like alcohol. At best, it would be allowed as a maintenance drug for alcoholics, a la methadone or buprenorphine. Replacing recreational use of alcohol by 2050? That is a pipe dream if I've ever heard one.

Last edited:
We need that fucking filthy bitch theresa may out of power first, that way there would at least be a chance to get the psychoactive substances bill repealed.

And as for adding one of those 2-aminoindan derivatives...WHY...why ruin it like that if it does have potential. The 2-AI series are rough and jittery. And it will be no good for those drinkers who want to knock themselves out for a short time.

Where is this scheduled? I know MDAI is scheduled in China, Denmark and Switzerland

Kind of a stretch calling aminoindanes, amphetamine analogs