• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Thinking of getting on methadone for opiate addiction

I never said otherwise?
Though in the OP' s case, methadone is just not appropriate and I doubt Bupe is either. They've never even tried a cold turkey kick much less a taper plan. Or any kind of treatment.

Of course. I Understand.

First of all, opiates are organic compounds that contain Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Oxygen.
For example:
Oxycodone : C18H21NO4
Hydrocodone : C18H21NO3
Acetaminophen (Tylenol): C8H9NO2

As you can see, these compounds are all similar. There are many compounds like this. The point is that Tylenol, Hydrocodone, and Oxycodone are all similar. Tylenol is a weaker form of Hydrocodone, if you will.

The way I got off opiates was taking Tylenol and smoking weed. What I would recommend is taking different opiates, slowly weakening them as you take them.
You could go from Oxycodone to Hydrocodone, and keep going down in strength and dosage.

Oh yeah, don't get off it suddenly. It's awful.

Looks like I am the only one pro methadone, in small quantity and short term, of course.

Having worked in the medical field over 18 years, I've witnessed how MMT can be a downward spiral if you go on high doses and stay on it long term ... Trading one drug for another. Yet in my case, I don't take it longer than a week, nor do I increase over 30mg per day.

Just saying, it works for what I want it to work for.

the methadone program to get off of opiates.

That's a solid contradiction. Haha. If you have affordable access to oxycodone, the only real benefit I could see methadone having is saving your liver from all that apap. You have to decide whether the pain relief you get is worth being dependent on the drug. If you want to come off I would suggest using small amounts of suboxone to taper off.

Alot of anti-methadone people here(though I understand she has a low habbit) But how do you plan to deal with the pain when you are off??? Are you asking to get off opiates completly or asking for something that will help with your pain and not have you on a rollercoaster of getting and running out of pills??

I know there are a lot of naysayers here when it comes to methadone, but I find that usually happens in cases where methadone is expected to be somewhat of a "magic bullet" that cures your addiction, and is easy to come off of whenever you feel ready. In general, it's best to think of methadone as a "last resort" medication which is suitable only for bad to severe habits that are very likely to kill you or make you end up in prison, and have been ongoing for years. If you treat it as a tool to help you get clean long term, and acknowledge the possibility that you could be on the stuff for years or even for life - it's certainly a valid option which has been life-saving for countless individuals.

I would also reccommend that you assess how easy it will be to get your methadone each day - will you have to drive an hour to go pick it up, or can you just walk across the street? Some people have to spend hours out of their day - each and every day - just to feel normal. Naturally this becomes very tedious after awhile, and these people tend to regret ever going on it.

I was an IV addict for 6 years, became completely broke and began throwing the rest of my life away, and all the typical things that happen to you when you end up using for years. I wanted to go on methadone for a long time, but there was always such a long wait (6 months when I lived in Vancouver) that I could never wait it out and always fell back on street drugs. Once I got on it, I was able to get it from my pharmacy just a 5 min walk away from my apartment, and I haven't used in a long time now, nor do I have any more cravings. Everyone is different.

For your habit I would just kick over a long weekend or something with some comfort meds, acute will only be 3-4 days for you I presume and you could make it pretty easy with some proper otc meds and some clonidine. If you have a doctor ask him for some clonidine and some hydroxyzine. The clonidine will help the sweats and restless legs and the hydrox will help with sleep. Throw some immodium in (low doses, maybe double the recommended) to shut down the shit factory and you will be walking around in a few days. On top of it all stay as busy as possible the whole time, the more you lay around and focus on your symptoms the worse it will be. MMT is just a foolish decision for you and so is bupe, IF you really think you can't do it , you could always to a 3-5 day taper with bupe, starting at no more than 2 mg and reducing by half daily down to .25 mg then jump and don't look back, you won't feel great during the taper but it will get you through your day.

I've been on MMT for over 2 and a half years, 70 mgs. If you want to just get off opioids I would definitely
go with the suboxone or subutex route. It works for smaller habits. The only reason I got on methadone was because
I was an IV user, and it got to the point where I'd either end up dead or in jail. It was a seriously low point in my life
and I can say that even though there are many cons, it helped me get off the streets(and the work out of my vein).

Good luck to you.

Methadone is very difficult to quit. It's easy to get on, and they'll bump up your dose as high as you like, but there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask you that aren't so much related to the chemical side as the personal:

Are you comfortable visiting a clinic regularly, and at least once per day for a number of months until you've proven your trustworthiness and qualify for take-home doses? It took at least six months of having no other drugs in my urine before they gave that out.

Also, expect to fall asleep a lot. Note that I don't mean nod, I mean sleep. I often found myself just drifting off at work, and it became a problem. My job is quite technical and time-sensitive, meaning that I can't afford to waste time losing consciousness during work hours! I tried taking long lunches, and doing a number of other things, mostly caffeine-related. But that didn't help. In order to get around this, I resorted to dosing in the evening, after work. This occasionally made things rather unpleasant during the day, as withdrawal sets in quicker than you might think with methadone. Well, either that or my body is so worn out from opiates that methadone wears off in about twelve hours.

Now, as far as a high goes, it's rather weak on methadone. You may still nod, but there's no high or rush to speak of; it's dull, but warm and ever so slightly itchy. It will help with your pain, but like all things, eventually its potency drops and you're left aching.

Don't do it! I used it for about a week until I was able to get my next "batch" of oxycodone and didn't want to wd at all. Needless to say after only about a week of using about 40 or so mgs a day and then getting the oxycodone, I felt not only next nothing from the oxycodone but also felt I needed to take WAY more and still felt a little sick and since you read about my addiction (and pretty rotten life) on my thread (and I responded back to you on there and hope you read it) and learned a little about yours....it's just not worth it. Besides when I was getting my own script plus getting them for free from my family member she then felt bad about "putting me in wds" for the reason I shared with you on my thread. Well anyway, she takes both and when I tell you this? You're not reading wrong...she began taking 4 per day. 5 years later? She now gets a script for 600 per month and I've SEEN the bottle. And even though it does build up in a persons body when she even goes without them for 2-3 days her wds make oxy or Percocet wds look like a picnic in the park and as both you and I know, they are NOT. As I wrote on my thread...best of luck and love to you and if you ever need to talk I'm here to listen<3...I'm just getting SUPER scared now myself but trust me methadone is NOT the answer. I think some areas have short term methadone clinics that then taper you (I'm not positive though) but mine does not. Maybe that's safer? I'm not sure. My area does have short term suboxone but that scares the heck out of me. I once without realizing this fact took a quarter of one strip after taking (before my tolerance skyrocketed to a hundred plus) a mere 5 mgs and oh wow! Talk about being sick!!! It actually (if taken when either you have a super low tolerance) or before you are in wds throws your body into a state where it feels like the worst wds you've ever had. Maybe you already knew this all but if not I'm just sharing with you what I do know just as I'm DEFINITELY open for any thoughts or suggestions when it comes to my situation right now. Today is feeling like it's going to be the worst so far for me. I've not slept all night (it's 7 am where I live) basically because I can't but I also don't want to wake feeling even worse then I do right now.

I've taken both suboxone for 2 years and now methadone for 2.5 years I would say if your a lighter user just stick with suboxone if your a user of more intense amounts, iv...etc.. go with methadone. Keep in mind your not going to get high with either I hate being on either personally. But it does make life manageable but that's it. It personally does nothing for me and the methadone just makes me tired I want out of it so bad. I really want to go back to suboxone. Your choice but don't think methadone is better because its a full antagonist because it wont do anything for you past the first few weeks, and I never even got that.

I've taken both suboxone for 2 years and now methadone for 2.5 years I would say if your a lighter user just stick with suboxone if your a user of more intense amounts, iv...etc.. go with methadone. Keep in mind your not going to get high with either I hate being on either personally. But it does make life manageable but that's it. It personally does nothing for me and the methadone just makes me tired I want out of it so bad. I really want to go back to suboxone. Your choice but don't think methadone is better because its a full antagonist because it wont do anything for you past the first few weeks, and I never even got that.

Methadone is not a full antagonist.

Methadone is a drug developed by the nazis. I love the high and am so lucky to have not abused long enough to experience methadone withdrawal. It has a LONG half life, meaning while the active narcotic in Percocets, oxy condone, is out of your system in 6 hours tops, methadone lingers for up to 50 hours. I've heard using methadone for short acting opiates is like trying to kill a fly with a shotgun. It does way more damage than good. What helps is honestly talking to those who care about you, a medical professional, and other addicts through a 12 step program. Using boards like this is a start, but a face to face meeting with a medical professional ( be HONEST), as well as family and friends will have you feeing SO much better. Perc withdrawals are awful, I've been there, but with medical supervision and the support of loved ones AND strangers who have been thru the same thing is a form of therapy that cannot be replaced. As awful as you will feel, the worst should be over in 5 days. Get dependent on methadone, you may not feel any better for months. I had 3 years sober from alcohol before I turned to opiates and benzodiazepines. Methadone addicts, more than heroin addicts, suffer incredibly long. As I sat as these 12 step tables, there was a mix of every kind of addict. Those who kept coming, improved quicker than they'd have ever imagined (ie "I'll NEVER get clean.) everyone thinks this. I don't know of anyone personally who has sucessfully gotten off methadone. Percs, coke, alcohol, heroin, yes. Methadone, no one I knowof personally. Of course it is possible. If it was impossible, it wouldn't be an option. But you don't wanna go that route. Methadone and suboxone can help short term, but most stay on for decades or life. As I said. I had 3 years alcohol and drug free. Then I secretly relapsed on pills. I felt like the biggest scumbag piece of shit. I didn't wanna be judged or disappoint. But everyone already knew. They understood, and they helped me. You need to realize you are suffering an illness. It needs to be treated as such. While I'm still not clean, im sucessfully tapering off klonopin, and rapidly tapering my opiate habit. Something I tried myself for 5 years but got no where. Most addicts need support and can't do it alone. If you get help thru a 12 step program I promise you'll make progress, be accepted and wonder why the hell you ever wanted to do it alone. If you really wanna quit, like I said, tell a doctor, your loved ones, and join a 12 step group. You don't even need to talk at 12 step meetings. Just go, listen, and relate. Introduce yourself. People who recover continue to attend meetings. They're there for people like you... And me. I relapsed cuz I stopped working the 12 steps, stopped going to meetings, and didn't help others near the end. Making friends and helping others, there's no greater high. In AA we have what are called the promises, which if you get a sponsor and do what he did (he'll let you know), you will live in those promises. They include sobriety, friendship, usefulness, hapiness you can't currently imagine. You'll live a life you can't imagine right now. On a lighter note, 12 step ppl are some of the kindest, well meaning, and coolest people you'll ever meet. No matter how old you are, you choose the sober way of life, your best days are yet to come. Good luck.

Ps no offense to anyone on Methadone or suboxone. Especially if you were on heroin. Anything beats a SPIKE in your bloodstream. I was strictly talking shorter acting opiates.

Methadone is a hell of a commitment, a while back I had to come off somewhere around 80 mg for somewhere around a year in county jail, and it was hell, while I was going through the withdrawals for well over a month I was wishing I was going through heroin withdrawal. And that was only 80mg I knew people at the clinic that were talking somewhere around 200, could have been more cuz they don't really tell you how much there giving you. The other thing about methadone, where I'm from anyway its easy to up your dose and most addicts will keep putting in for a dose increase a couple years later and your over 150mg a day. When on it too there are def bad side effects, sleepy, I was always really hot when I tried to sleep n shit, n I hated having a hard time keeping a boner haha. But I still think methadone is good for some people, it will straighten out your life if you want it too.
Now suboxone I've been there too and that is so much easier to get off of and had so many less side effects. But for someone with pain I don't really know I don't have chronic pain or nothing. But I don't see it being that good for that. And don't get me wrong when I say its easy to get off of. its not exactly a walk in the park. Its also got a pretty long withdrawal, but alot easier to taper off of.
Depending on how bad your pain is that's how I would make the choice of what I wanted to be on.

I do not reccomend it AT ALL. I was on 100mg of Methadone for a year, until I fucked up (which was on me) and they kicked me out, left to withdrawl at 100 fucking milligrams. No rapid detox. Nothing. But getting kicked out was the best thing to ever happened to me. Otherwise, I would have been on that shit for life. A lot of people are. They don't even suggest for you to start titrating (reducing your dose.) Methadone clinics are nothing but legal drug pushers. Methadone is liquid handcuffs. They want your money, they aren't concerned with your recovery. It's just switching one addiction for another. You would regret it. Just taper yourself off of what you are already using.

Type into googe: "Watch Methadonia free"
It shows you the ins and outs of how fucked methadone really is.

Now, as far as a high goes, it's rather weak on methadone. You may still nod, but there's no high or rush to speak of; it's dull, but warm and ever so slightly itchy. It will help with your pain, but like all things, eventually its potency drops and you're left aching.

Yeah, don't expect to get high off of methadone. Maybe the first day or two, that's it. The best sleep I've ever had though- the second my head hit the pillow. But also at work, in class, etc. Not as awesome.

Has YOUR clinic CLOSED?
Did you LOSE any take homes?
(or even FIND a nearby clinic)
Admit. please post appropriately
You have so many alias' it's pathetic. People like you turn a good thing into something bad. I don't care who "likes" what I have to say or not but I hope you get kicked off here in the same amount of time it takes you to keep on creating different names.

You have so many alias' it's pathetic. People like you turn a good thing into something bad. I don't care who "likes" what I have to say or not but I hope you get kicked off here in the same amount of time it takes you to keep on creating different names.
Sorry for my response to this, blue light but this site is wonderful and people like this just do not belong on it. It to me is fully about honesty and this sickened me yet I know it's by no fault of this site.