• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Theories for no comedown

Show me anybody who says conditions like manic-depression can be avoided just by altering your outlook and I'll laugh (my best manic laugh) in their face.

M-D seems to be some sort of fucked up gene expression problem that causes monoamine neurotransmitter levels to fluctuate way outside what would be seen as normal (also explains why the disease has herediitry fectors, which I feel I can sort of confirm as my maternal grandmother suffered, my dad still does - even if he won't admit it and I'm the latest victim of the family 'dark secret').

When I go into a depressive phase, the only thing that m,akes any difference is a tricyclic antidepressant. CBT may work wonders with reactive depression, but some depression is biochemical in origin and all the talking in the world will be at best only slightly useful

FB, how do you think talking effects you if not on a biochemical level?

Peace

I presume they mean the after effects of a drug, with no negative consequences of any note ! Did that not occur to you ?

samadhi_smiles said:
FB, how do you think talking effects you if not on a biochemical level?

Peace

I'm not saying talking doesn't impact on biochemical levels, only the effect is tiny in comparison to the imbalance caused by the illness. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) may allow changes that are significant enough to help people with reactive depression because the initial depression was caused by emotions (whic can be highly influenced by talking). M-D is a much more severe imbalance thought to be a product of gene expression ( in way of an example, a depressive phase of M-D is worse than any amphetamine comedown I've ever experienced in that at times I dony have the ability to get out of bed - and the only thing that reverses that state is large doses of a tricyclic antidepressant - lofepramine).

It's such an extreme imbalance that friends (even my wife )cannot distinguish between when I've taken amphetamine & when I'm in a hypomanic phase and my wife is a clinical pharmacologist used to working with 'nutters' as she so caringly calls them!)

fastandbulbous said:
in way of an example, a depressive phase of M-D is worse than any amphetamine comedown I've ever experienced in that at times I dony have the ability to get out of bed - and the only thing that reverses that state is large doses of a tricyclic antidepressant - lofepramine).
I can vouch for this 100%, having experienced both states. The only difference is that I never had lofepramine, and that ULD-Ketamine works well for it :)

Lol @ "nutters" ;)

I believe if a person experiences no comedown is not so much as a question to the existence of said comedown as a question of a person noticing the effects of said comedwon enough to register the experience.

The after effects of the drug on the brain might leave her in a state pkeasureable enough not to notice the effects that the lack of serotonin has on their brain. The comedown you feel is caused when your brain is depleted of serotonin. (theoritically one can argue that the drug must be depleted of the system also but thats besides the point). Therefore serotonin being depleted from the brain= fact. Comedowns are caused by lack of serotonin which equals fact. Therefore comedowns are a fact as long as our brain is depleted of serotonin.

Now there is a multitude of things to do to dull or numb your sense to not feel the negative effects your lack of serotonin has on your overall feeling of well being. These include mild doses or percription drugs such as Xanax or Valium. Ive heard stories recently about Kratom tea being another popular remed.y. My personal favorite, good old fashoined Marijuana.

In conclusion, if a person claims not to experience comedowns it simply means the person, for whatever reason, is not sensing the effets the lack of serotonin has on their brain and or body. It is no challenge whatsoever to the existence of comedowns.