The World Music thread

This whole album is pretty great. This long track, eye-watering for psychedelic trip.

Julie Fowlis - Òran an Ròin / The Song of the Seal

Hò i hò i hì o hò i
Hò i hì o hò i ì
Hò i hò i hì o hò i
I was not alone last night.

Pity to be in this place
where people are eaten as food
See the chief of the people
Boiling hard on a fire.

I am the daughter of Aoidh son of Ewen
I was knowledgeable about the reefs
Pity the person who would hit me
I am a noble woman from another land.

The thrush comes, the starling comes
Every bird returns to its nest
The salmon comes from the sea
Until Doom’s Day I will not be moved.

A traditional Gaelic song from the voice of the seal people or selkies — creatures who were said to shed their seal skin and take on the human form at certain times of the year. Thought to move between the parallel worlds of sea and land, but never truly belonging to either, selkies could change to human form at certain times and come ashore. They sometimes took human lovers while human, but usually returned to the sea. Woe be unto they who harm them or their kin.​

Guo Brothers [1990] - The Dream of the Red Mansion

Guo Brothers [1990] - Dancing and Singing in the Village

Sona Jobarteh [2017] - Kanu

Andi McLean - bass,
Sonah Jobarteh - kora, vocal,
Mouhamadou Sarr - percussion,
Derek Johnson - guitar
Westley Joseph - drums

Sona Jobarteh is the first female Kora virtuoso from a West African griot family. First in a tradition that is several centuries old, in which the Kora mastery was exclusively passed down from father to son.​

Toumani Diabaté [2014] - Elyne Road

eight_col_ToumaniDiabat%C3%A9.jpg

Grew up with tabla i am a Sikh our holy book is also sung called a kirtan before john bonham bill ward i was mesmerized by the table which is part of the music

Sikhs are punjabis to my shame i have smoked some brown done some pods and gone sikh temple and just nodded with the sounds of the tabla it daytime on weekday hardly anyone there and it just looks like im really religious and closes eyes as im listening to devotional music

Arslanbek Sultanbekov - Dombra

Music of Kazakhstan and Mongolia

Arslanbek-Sultanbekov.jpg

Arslanbek Sultanbekov is a renowned dombra player, performer and composer in the Turkic world. This amazingly talented artist, who now lives in Kazakhstan, enthusiastically promotes his Nogai culture to the world. An estimated 90,000 Nogais live in Turkey today.​