• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Woomera detention centre game!

hmm
i have an interview with Philip Ruddock I'll have you read.
will scan and upload tomorrow, when i can upload at more than 1.6k/s

No one will ever escape fort Baxter... The name itself shall never be tarnished....

So what does the game entail... learning how to sow your lips shut and waiting for a bunch of hippes to cause a diversion, so u can run to the nearest sweat shop and get exploited for the rest of your life... great

hehe not my kinda thing.=D

If this pokes a stick in the Government's eye...

Then I'm all for it.

-plaz out-

im currently writing a report on media and immigration. just thoought id put it here. hope its some use to somebody. i have only just started. only a draft

The main way that current affairs are broadcast, is through the media- Internet, newspaper, magazines and television. But with this broadcast of information come a certain bias. The media can make a certain issue sound as good or as bad as it wants by highlighting certain points and shadowing others. “Lies and deceit are powerful tools used by the mainstream media to control the ordinary people in Australia and indeed throughout the world (Pitt, Unknown Date).” In many issues brought up in media, it leaves you begging the question, “Where is the evidence?” (Pitt, unknown date). The recent issue of illegal immigrants, also called boat people, entering Australia has been vastly covered by the media, but is all the information we have heard been correct, or has it been manipulated to boost ratings? It is not profitable for a company, which is based around making money, to say what the general public don’t want to hear, it is more profitable to twist the truth and give the masses what they want.

The media uses many methods to give the public what they want to hear, This is how they do it- they give low priority to truths, or information they want to suppress, or not even cover some issues, change stories to give a different impression, exaggerate evils, base arguments over emotional debates, not logical debates, and tag people with names, and make them look bad by bringing out certain issues to embarrass them. The media thrives around ratings, because their aim is not to give the facts, but in the end to make the most profit. All the media in the end is based around advertising. The media has free speech, and therefore can say what they want. Even phone polls, or letters to the editor columns, which are supposably the public’s opinion, are not unbiased, the media will suppress any arguments which oppose them, and accept ones which are for them. “Freedom of speech in the media usually means freedom for the media to say whatever it likes.” (Pitt, Unknown Date).

The whole subject of media free speech is a one sided debate. The media can say what they like and we, the public believe it, because it’s all we know. We don’t have any other way of obtaining the information unless we search and find it ourselves, this is the hard route, and so we believe the blessed television. (SIMPSONS) In the subject of boat people, all we hear is the media’s opinion, that these people have no right to belong in our countries. And when these poor people protest they are given an even worse name. They have come to our country to try and get away from their hardships, and as soon as they are here we lock them up for months, away from their families. The media portrays these people as invaders of our land, which in some part they are, but not the extent seen. There are several myths that the media blast into our faces, which we then believe, because there is no opposition to what they are saying.

When we come home from work, school or play we sit down and turn on the news, to find out what has happened today. When the all seeing, all right says that there has been another batch of ‘illegal immigrants’ we just wish they would stop bugging us and go home. The media gives them the title of ‘illegal’, but in fact are they all illegal? “Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that "Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution."” (Untitled document). So therefore under this international agreement these people are not illegal at all. Illegal immigrants are not these boat people, but the people who overstay their visas, who are not from these boats but from western nations. There are over 5,000 illegal immigrants overstaying their visa from Britain alone. This misinformation, builds a public opinion on the boat people, that they are lawbreakers and should be punished, yet we don’t punish the real illegals, the socially accepted ones. The media dwells on the emotional side of the stone, not looking at the cold had facts (Untitled document).

Another ‘fact’ blurted out by the media is that Australia already has to many refugees. But is this true, or is it another trick used by the media to portray these people worse, to condemn them, to build up public anger against them. By saying this it makes many Australians mad that these people are ‘overcrowding’ our country. In 2001, Australia only let in 12,000 refugees, and this figure has remained static. According to Amnesty International 1 in every 115 people on earth are refugees, and a new refugee is created every 21 seconds. By looking at these figures, it is obvious that we are not, over crowding out country. “97% of applicants from Iraq and 93% of applicants from Afghanistan seeking asylum without valid visas in Australia in 1999 were recognised as genuine refugees” (untitled document)

Australia does not has a large population, just over 19 million, and this ratio does not show over crowding. But instead shows that we can afford to let more refugee’s in. so before we label these people as overcrowders, we should look at the facts.

Boat people are not found on a regular basis, but when they are, a huge fuss is created, and they get labelled as ‘invaders to our country’. That if we don’t stop them soon, we will be swamped with them. This again, is a myth conjured up by the media to create a bad public image of the boat people. In 2000 only 4147 people reached Australia to seek asylum. As apposed to the 300 000 refugees arrived in Europe, and the million Afghan refugees Iran and Pakistan each hosted. This is made out to be a major problem in Australia, where it is not. Because every time a boat comes in it is such well publicised we think it is happening continually, but there are time that we don’t hear about it, this is because it is not happening.

It is a common misconception, broadcast by the media and alike, that if we let these immigrants through our doors they will take up our benefits. In fact the intake of migrants will boost our economy, by stimulating economic growth. In America it has been shown that the intake of unauthorised entrants boost the economy by $800 million US. Media has created a monster like figure from these people, much like the propaganda created in the First World War, making the Germans look like horrible beasts. The media has created all these common misconceptions, which the public believe, because there is no alternative.

The media creates the Australian public opinion on boat people and convinces the public to believe them. an excellent example of this is the tamper crisis, the media’s involvement with this case turned even the governments standings. At the time this incident happened, an election was at foot, Howard vs. Beasley. Howard campaigned hard about the children overboard incident, and therefore won the publics vote, this was because the Australian people were misled through a web of lies and deception. The polls were even through the

“Australia has been one of the most successful and tolerant migrant nations. Yet, ironically, immigration itself has never had widespread support (Henderson, G, 1990, p75)”

Edmund Rice Centre, 2001, Untitled Document, [Online], Edmund Rice Centre, Available from: < http://www.erc.org.au/issues/text/se01.htm> [22nd April 2003]

Henderson, Gerard, 1990, Australia’s immigration debate: A most Unusual unity ticket in Australia and Immigration: Able to Grow?, ed. Easson, Michael, Pluto Press Australia Limited, NSW.

Pitt, Tony, (Unknown Date), Lies and Deceit of Mainstream Media in Australia, [Online], Tony Pitt, Available from: <http://www.satcom.net.au/freedom/media.html> [10th April 2003]

Anything that highlights the current situation faced by asylum seekers in detention centres in Australia is to be commended.

tear them down and salt the earth...

*rage*

Trillian:
tear them down and salt the earth...

Fucking oath.

I have nothing but loathing and hatred for the people who do this and support this kind of repression, discrimination and brutality.

We're the land of opportunity, and the lucky country, but if your skin's a different colour and you come here fleeing your home country, we're going to lock you up so you can be lucky in the middle of the desert, surrounded by barbed wire and searchlights.

Come on, admit it guys, it gives EVERYONE a warm glow to be part of the 4th Reich. Because remember, what's popular is ALWAYS right, even the holocaust. Right guys? :X

-plaz out-

whats the alternative to a processing facility?

having no facility would be an economic deathwish.... so i c no alternative.

Last edited:
Civilisation: We 'Process' Human Beings!

Firstly, this isn't a 'processing facility', and more than concentration camps were 'labour camps', that is to say, that while some 'processing' is done, that is most definately not the reason for its existence.

Let us look at the place itself. Its barbed wire, chain link fence, guards, and searchlights. In the middle of the desert. Nowhere near any real population centres. This sound to you more like a processing centre or a jail?

Secondly, explain to me if this is the usual 'visa processing facility' why are there no caucasian people in these camps bar the guards and workers?

We do need processing facilities, but you have to remember, that these people are traumatised, from countries that are torn apart by war and struggle, they come here seeking asylum, and we do to them exactly what they are fleeing in fear of. We lock them up against UN Rules, which we espoused so beautifully against Iraq (whilst locking up people who fled Iraq because of those horrible punishments and tortures that John Howard reminded us of to tell us why we had to attack). Is this REALLY the most humane way to treat human beings who are already traumatised? Remember the way we treated the refugees from Kosovo? That was a very different kettle of fish altogether, wasn't it? Accomodation, help etc. And yet, we made damn sure that they went back at the end anyway, regardless of what they wanted.

The alternatives to a 'processing facility' if you could call it that, involve what Gough Whitlam did just post the Vietnam war, when we were seeing the first influx of people who were then known as "Boat People". These people were taken in, given housing and education and helped to become part of our society, and today many of them are pillars of the Vietnamese & Cambodian communities here, having been successful in a whole range of different industries etc. This followed on the heels of the destruction of the 'white australia' policy, which, sadly it seems as if we are resurrecting in a haze of 1950's nostalgia, where it seems that we heark back to the days of Black & White television, and see the world in black and white, where they're black, and we must be afraid of them because we are white.

Why are we locking them up again? Because they're "Queue Jumpers" isn't it?

People forget that there is no Queue to jump when you're in a country that has torn itself apart, has no connections to the United Nations refugee program, and that if you attempt to go to an embassy, its quite likely that you and your family will be targetted next.

Why do they still come here after we've locked up all these other "Illegals"?

Because they don't actually have 24 hour cable news in the countries that they're fleeing, to report to them our violations of basic human rights, and United Nations Refugee Conventions. Also because they hope (in vain) that coming here they will find a sanctuary from injustice and abuse.

Why doesn't Indonesia take these damn "Illegals" in when they go there?

Because Indonesia didn't sign any of the United Nations treaties, and beacuse Indonesia is a country that traditionally has not given a flying fuck about Human Rights, which is widely known, what's less widely known is that in most of that abuse, we've aided and abetted them, along with Britain and the USA.

Now, for my next act, I will refer to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Which says this.
Article 9.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

And this.
Article 14.

(1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.

And just in case you were about to say "BUT".
Article 30.

Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

Hope that answers any questions, by the way, please read that UN Declaration, it is very interesting, and short. Knowledge helps to make the world a better place.

-plaz out-

Ok its a processing facility ok... It houses both refugees and illegal immigrants so therefore it would seen more secure than a basic facility.

to be comical for a second, at least they arrive in Australia alive. I remember the Japanese claims of a North Korean spy ship floating towards their shores.. (Ie full of refugees) and blowing it out of the water

You make the point that u believe that every person in every detention center is a refugee. Why dont the majority of these people who arrive on boats have documentation of the countries where they came from... You cannot say that because they come from war torn countries they wouldnt have access to passports or birth certificates etc.

u said why dont white people get put in these detention centres... well I suppose when the next boat load of white people who rock up on our shores and do not have any way of proving where they are from... and whose major impulse is to try and halt preceedings as long as possible... im sure they will be placed in a processing facility also.

Why are they kept in places so remote... so that they are accountable.

Yeah i feel bad for the true refugees who are tramatised and wish that every effort could be made so that they could recover from the troubles they have experienced... but in essence those who are not refugees and who hold up the proceedings through appealing their cases ruin the system. Most trouble caused inside detention centers have been caused by people who are not refugees and therefore this leads to a tighter security etc.

As for the UN, i believe australia has a right to look out for its own interests... atm the UN seems to have extremely little world wide credibility.

I dont see myself as having right wing views but i see Im just saying that if granted temoporay residence, they probably would go bush when they have to go back home. But then again I wouldnt have a problem with this is they were processed through the facilities as the government would have allowed their disappearance to happen.

I dont think that encouraging a Whitlam type resolution would be a great idea. Yes it has worked wonders in the past setting up great areas such as Cabramatta etc and has added much to our lifestyles through a greater number of cartels coming into the country to bring down the prices of drugs etc... oh yeah and their food is good too but by having a policy like this again would just encourage more boats to come to australia. Remember the people smugglers dont care about the people they are helping and it is a business like anyother... to succeed in business u have to find customers and to expand u must increase your patronage...
For a country to work there needs to be a balance of skilled labour and just accepting anyone is going to affect this balance

Last edited:
Economic deathwish?!? WTF do you call the $2.8 billion 'Pacific Solution'??? It would cost a fraction of that ammount to house them here in this country, but Howard was hell-bent on not allowing them to reach Australia because he wanted to fully manipulate the free floating electoral anxiety being felt around the country.

The government has also spent an additional $500 million on border control, all for the sake of preventing 4000 asylum seekers from reaching our shores. You say that you don't believe that those in detention are really refugees, well in 1999 the 80% of all arrivals were eventually determined to be genuine refugees.

As for 'going bush', shouldn't you be more concerned about 60 000 odd Westen tourists who delibrately overstay their visa's each year, 50% of whom are working illegally while they are here? (oh, wait a minute, they're white aren't they! Oh that makes it ok then...) 4000 potential refugees kinda pales (no pun intended) in comparison to those numbers, don't you think? Not only that, but Australia's entire humanitarian intake is capped at 12 000 a year, no more.

4000 people isn't a large ammount of people, it is hardly a flood of unskilled labour that is going to de-stabalise the economy. This whole debate has been conjured up with the sole intention of manipulating electoral anxieties by a cynical and racist government (and I mean racist when I say it, does anyone remember Howard as opposition leader objecting what he described as the 'asianisation' of Australia?) On this issue, Howard has played this country like a fiddle. In doing so he has exposed just how deeply ingrained xenophobia is in the national psyche of Asutralians and quite frankly I am disgusted by it.

Last edited:
Short term solutions to solve possible long term problems.. that benefit Australia in other ways than just immigration.

Yes i would be concerned with the amount of people skipping on their visas.. why else would i bring this argument up that we dont want more people to track down...

Im against anyone being here who shouldnt.... dont make it sound like I am being racist... but if u shouldnt be here fuck off...

meh there is no point debating an issue like this on a message board like this... if u dont have extremely left views u are too right wing... and why if u are interested in Australia's well being, u are labelled right wing.

Last edited:
I feel the urge to raise my hand.

Backo:
to be comical for a second, at least they arrive in Australia alive. I remember the Japanese claims of a North Korean spy ship floating towards their shores.. (Ie full of refugees) and blowing it out of the water

Tell that to the 350 odd refugees, men, women and children who drowned when the Australian Navy turned their boat back towards Indonesia in the not very distant past?

Also, the Australian government while it doesn't exactly show these figures to the public, admitted to the BBC that as many as 1/3rd of ALL refugees attempting to get to Australia by boat, DROWN.

-plaz out-

Re: I feel the urge to raise my hand.

plazma said:
Backo:

Tell that to the 350 odd refugees, men, women and children who drowned when the Australian Navy turned their boat back towards Indonesia in the not very distant past?

Also, the Australian government while it doesn't exactly show these figures to the public, admitted to the BBC that as many as 1/3rd of ALL refugees attempting to get to Australia by boat, DROWN.

-plaz out-

^^^they aren't real refugees if they go through two or three countries before they attempt/arrive in australia are they!

when they pay so much to get here they should get a boat that floats

If they are real refugees wouldnt they go to the nearest safest country... Australia isnt really that close to any of these countries geographically

-Backo out-

Last edited:
^^ (banga) Why is that so important. Australia was once considered a refuge and a land of oportunity, look at it now. There is no room for humanitarian refuges at all. Oh yes, you may bring up the real channels. Well where the hell are the real channels if some is fleeing the establishment in their country. Honestly, the government has done a fantastic job in convincing people that these few people are of great national threat.

And for those who think that refugees are just slackers who are afraid of real work, just look at the members of the 1998 French World Cup team. Nearly every member was a/or son of refugees.

I think Banga is making the comment of saying that these refugees go through many different other countries that pose absolutely no threat to their lives.. but instead choose to continue moving on for the reason that they dont wanna go home when their home is safe again...
He says they arent refugees because a refugee seeks a safehaven... and well these refugees dont relocate to the first available port.

Re: I feel the urge to raise my hand.

plazma said:

Maybe the Australian government should fly them all over here so no one drowns and you can be happy plaz:p

FUCKINGHELL!

Jesus you guys, fucking read that long post I went to a lot of effort to write. A lot of the countries that are closest to the countries they're fleeing from are NOT signatories to the UN Convention on Refugees.

WE ARE!

-plaz out-

Re: Re: I feel the urge to raise my hand.

Lucas said:
Maybe the Australian government should fly them all over here so no one drowns and you can be happy plaz:p

Then again maybe not. But maybe, just maybe, the Australian government could display a hint of compassion to the plight of these people. Considering the great dangers they have faced and overcome in the effort to reach our fine land couldn't we at least show them the courtesy of not locking them up in the desert? Is it really too much to ask? It's only four thousand people, and considering we have actively participated in recently bombing the countries that the majority of these people come from, how hard would it be to take them in.