• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin The use of other drugs to get off heroin

I was recently speaking to someone, he stated he used meth to get off heroin a few times. He claimed he locked himself in a room with enough of it for 5 days and came out good as new. I personally have never liked speed, however if this claim is true it could be very helpful.
Yep it is absolutely true. Speed is a magic bullet for me in this regard. I remember when I went out with a couple of my friends to buy heroin a few years ago. We arrived at the spot and found out that our dealer had been busted. Panic set in because I had reacquired a habit since 5 months and didn't have any other dope connections. The guy who told us that the dope dealer had been busted probably saw how I had a silent but noticeable nervous breakdown inside and told me "you gotta take some amps and you'll have no wd". I thought he was an asshole who just wanted to mess with me and make my upcoming wd worse and I told him "you bullshitting me, right? How in the world are amps gonna help me not to experience cold turkey?"

My friends however confirmed that it's true and I bought some speed rather unwillingly but my intuition told me that I'm gonna need it. I didn't use it immediately because I was still afraid that it might actually worsen my wd, especially the panic attacks, but after 24h where the wd became unbearable I thought "fuck it, what do I have to lose?" and snorted a line. It seemed to reduce wd a bit. I wondered if that is a placebo and took some more and after 15 minutes the dope sickness went away except the goosebumps. The only problem with this method is that you have to keep taking it for the first 72h until the worst symptoms have passed. What I usually do is take speed for the first 3 days and then take pregabaline for the next 3 days. On the 7th day I wake up feeling fine except for the PAWS ofc.
What usually happens then is that I relapse and become dependent again...lol.

The way that I have understood the science behind it is that the TAAR1 agonism of speed reroutes the noradrenaline to be released in the right synapses, thus taking away the wd symptoms.

EDIT:
if you end up with a horrible comedown from speed, then I recommend doing it the other way around. Take pregabaline for the first 3 days and use speed on the fourth and fifth day.

Totally works for some. Though I'd wanna switch to something that's less taxing on the body than a heavy stimulant. Got a mate who was on IV heroin for years. He got tired of the wds and ods but he still wanted to be getting high on something. He does a lot of pot now (a shit ton it has to be said) but he's healthy and happy and life's fine.

Got a mate who was on IV heroin for years. He got tired of the wds and ods but he still wanted to be getting high on something.
Not to mention you don't feel much after years of daily use. Before I accidentally learned of the naltrexone reset I only felt a liiiittle bit high for like three hours and then felt normal again.
Compare that to the newbie phase when you're starting doing opiates. I got high from a line of heroin for like 8 hours plus 4 hours afterglow lol. Those were the days...

@Hexenstahl well he was a pot smoker for years before he got into opiates, so he's always liked it and just went back to it, just much heavier than before. Like I always say it's all very individual. Me for instance I drink almost daily. I drink more when I don't have access to my DOC but I drink regardless. My best mate was a heroin junkie but also smoked pot and liked beer.

This is a time-honored junkie tradition going back many decades, but I do think there's something to it.

I've seen a few detox regimens from respected doctors that include conservative doses of one stimulant or another (methylphenidate, dextroamphetamine, modafinil) for at least some portion of the kick, usually towards the end when the worst physical symptoms are over but lethargy and fatigue are an issue. So I think there's probably some objective basis for the cautious use of stimulants in people who can tolerate them without terrible anxiety or comedowns.

Personally, I have found that taking amphetamine in my medium-high range (~25mg d-amp) substantially reduces my withdrawal symptoms while it's working, provided I'm not in full-blown withdrawal, and improves my mood greatly. Since restlessness is already a problem, it sometimes feels better to just run with it. I also find it is good to pair with gabapentin/pregabalin, which greatly reduce withdrawal symptoms and also have a stimulating effect on me. It does tend to aggravate the diarrhea, though, so loperamide (in regular therapeutic doses) is necessary.

The comedown is, of course, more unpleasant than it would be outside of opiate withdrawal, but I haven't found it too unmanageable except when staying up for too long from the combination of withdrawal insomnia and amphetamine use. So avoiding the temptation to redose is crucial, I think. Personally, I wouldn't take more than a mild dose of any stimulant if I didn't have some kind of sedative drugs on hand -- at a minimum, clonidine (the classic withdrawal aid) plus the gabapentin/pregabalin mentioned above, but ideally a benzo as well. (It's also much more palatable if you are on some kind of opiate taper and take your main dose for the day during the comedown.)

Unfortunately, I've learned first-hand that it's all too easy to end up replacing the opiate addiction you are supposedly kicking with a new upper/downer habit that is even more of a problem, especially if you rediscover your taste for alcohol along the way.

It seems like cocaine/crack would be especially difficult to use for this purpose in a responsible way. Methamphetamine would probably be easier to control, but only if you take low doses (by mouth or nose) and don't spin yourself out too much, since IMO the emotional comedown is worse than with amphetamine/Adderall and it's longer-acting, so sleep deprivation and soul-crushing comedowns are more of a risk.
Probably the best advice I’d say

my ex got so messed up on speed that she eventually got kicked out of the clinic. cold turkeyed 110mg and doesnt remember being dope sick. some scum fuck was shooting her up a ton and abusing her. locking her in the bathroom while he fucked hookers. and she thought she loved him. we had been together 5 years, and all of a sudden she just doesnt come home one night.
So she got off methadone, but she also cut all her hair off, was seeing ghosts, and i had to bring her to the ER and ttell a doctor that the girl i want to marry needs a rape kit, and not vaginally.
havent talked to her in years. meth stole my best friend, my future, my love... and i wasnt even the one doing it!
its a powerful tool, but it does truly diminish opiate cravings. and theres really no physical withdrawl. maybe falling asleep for a weekend.