Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television THE STAND - CBS All Access

mal3volent

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna level with you guys. When I saw the trailer to this show, I thought it wa going to be an absolute abomination.

But I just watched the first episode...and it was...actually quite good.

what did you guys think? I was so pleasantly surprised, I can't wait to see the rest...

I'm a huge Stephen King fan and, with very few exceptions, I'm never a fan of adaptations of his work into film or movies. I had heard mostly negative about this one, but now I'm curious to try to watch it.

I've only seen the first episode and am unsure what I think. I've been really excited for it and love the casting...but I hate the way they've made it very non-linear. They also seem to be skipping over most of the Captain Trips stuff and that was my favourite part of the book.
How are things going in ep 2?

I've only seen the first episode and am unsure what I think. I've been really excited for it and love the casting...but I hate the way they've made it very non-linear. They also seem to be skipping over most of the Captain Trips stuff and that was my favourite part of the book.
How are things going in ep 2?

i actually just finished episode three. The CBS all access shows frustrate me because they are so close to being 10/10 awesome but they just never get there. Episode three was the best so far, I think. But I'm still not convinced it will end well, or that the next episode won't suck. That's the frustrating thing.

Yeah, Steven King fan here, too. Used to read recreationally a lot but only by necessity these days.
Always thought the stand to be a looooong ass story to pass on years with nothing to do... other than time. haha
I am excited that it was remade and think it a great show and decent actors.
Two thumbs up.

in other news
was that steven that got blasted at the store? cannot remember and dont wanna look for it again.

Yeah, Steven King fan here, too. Used to read recreationally a lot but only by necessity these days.
Always thought the stand to be a looooong ass story to pass on years with nothing to do... other than time. haha
I am excited that it was remade and think it a great show and decent actors.
Two thumbs up.

in other news
was that steven that got blasted at the store? cannot remember and dont wanna look for it again.

i didn't even notice but I wouldn't be surprised. He loves doing cameos.

Ya'll see king yet? lol
I didn't check the store scene but I saw him in episode 4. :p

Finally watched all of episode one. Very disappointed so far. Does it become any less of a hodgepodge mess in later episodes? If I hadn't read the book I'd be extremely confused. It's literally like got all the scenes and just put it on shuffle. Every two minutes is another random scene from the book. The very first scene was 800 pages into the book and it just keeps going like that. There's no story structure at all.
I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this as I loved the book and most of the cast are great.
Does it improve or become more linear as the series goes on?

Finally watched all of episode one. Very disappointed so far. Does it become any less of a hodgepodge mess in later episodes? If I hadn't read the book I'd be extremely confused. It's literally like got all the scenes and just put it on shuffle. Every two minutes is another random scene from the book. The very first scene was 800 pages into the book and it just keeps going like that. There's no story structure at all.
I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this as I loved the book and most of the cast are great.
Does it improve or become more linear as the series goes on?

for me, it has gotten much better. There's no doubt they missed the mark on several things, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless. The plot starts getting more linear the further you get, when all the backstories wrap up and stuff actually starts happening.

Big SK fan here too, must start watching this as knew it had already started but hadn’t got round to it yet.

Why did they need to redo it? Anyone watch the original TV series? er miniseries, its pretty good. Don't fear the reaper.

Why did they need to redo it? Anyone watch the original TV series? er miniseries, its pretty good. Don't fear the reaper.
i love the original, it freaked me out as a kid, and rewatched it for quarenteen begining stage covid its still good,
i havent seen the new version yet tho

There are some awesome parts of the original but I think people generally give it too much credit because they remember it from when they were kids. Having rewatched it from start to finish recently, there are just as many bad scenes as there are good and the acting is terrible sometimes.

There are some awesome parts of the original but I think people generally give it too much credit because they remember it from when they were kids. Having rewatched it from start to finish recently, there are just as many bad scenes as there are good and the acting is terrible sometimes.
true its cheeze 90s but i watch alot of oldscholl and newer independent cheeze shit, but i know what u mean

there are just as many bad scenes
It is my opinion that most all of his (SK) TV/cinema adaptations have been a bit boring at times. I like him as he keeps me just interested enough to continue watching... The Langoliers, Thinner, Dead Zone, Carrie, The Mist, The Stand etc etc; which takes a bit of doing. I get bored and rest my eyes.
Anyway, anyone see him (kang) other than at the bus stop on the poster? Just wondering if maybe that wasn't the only time he has put his ugly mug in the frame. hehehehe
Would recommend if wanting to watch something decent. It jumps around a bit too much sometimes for me - as most of his work does - but a solid, well known and almost tired story.

They had to update it, right? I mean, cell-phones, vespas, modern strippers (errhhmmm, dancers :) ) and special effects - which aren't that special IMO.
Just checked; My next episode falls on the 28th.

Last edited:

Because It was super successful so they're making and remaking an gajillion Stephen King adaptations to milk the cash cow.

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining. I just wish they'd do it BETTER. And be true to the source material.

i love the original, it freaked me out as a kid, and rewatched it for quarenteen begining stage covid its still good,
i havent seen the new version yet tho

I really loved the first third of the book with the virus spreading etc. Seen a couple episodes of this now and they seem determined to skip over it as much as possible. And it's still non-linear, which can work for some shows/movies, but it just looks hacked apart and then slapped together here.