* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 large potato, diced
* 2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
* 600 ml/1 pint/2½ cups of milk
* 300 ml/½ pint/1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
* 4-5 little florets of broccoli
* 300g/ 10½ oz/3 cups canned sweetcorn, drained
* big handful of cheddar, grated

1) Heat oil in a large pan and fry the onion, pepper, garlic and potato for 2-3 mins, stirring.

2) Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the milk and strock.

3) Add the broccoli and sweetcorn. Bring the mix to the boil, stirring, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins until the veg is tender.

4) Stir in the cheese until it melts.

Just made this for the first time and it was pretty nice. I tasted a bit before adding the cheese and I was a bit skeptical about it as it tasted slightly bitter. But the final result is rather delicious.

Need suggestions for a cheap, nutrious and filling lunch for work next week. Something I can make a pot of tomorrow and it will last 5 lunches?

Vegetable & corn chowder:

soup005.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 red onion, diced
* 1 red pepper, diced
* 3 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 large potato, diced
* 2 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
* 600 ml/1 pint/2½ cups of milk
* 300 ml/½ pint/1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
* 4-5 little florets of broccoli
* 300g/ 10½ oz/3 cups canned sweetcorn, drained
* big handful of cheddar, grated

1) Heat oil in a large pan and fry the onion, pepper, garlic and potato for 2-3 mins, stirring.

2) Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the milk and strock.

3) Add the broccoli and sweetcorn. Bring the mix to the boil, stirring, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins until the veg is tender.

4) Stir in the cheese until it melts.

Just made this for the first time and it was pretty nice. I tasted a bit before adding the cheese and I was a bit skeptical about it as it tasted slightly bitter. But the final result is rather delicious.

That looks really nice and must taste delicious!....and healthy! <3

Need suggestions for a cheap, nutrious and filling lunch for work next week. Something I can make a pot of tomorrow and it will last 5 lunches?

Depends what you like really! Mine does not make a pot, and def. does not last 5 lunches-but you will get sick of eatig the same thing for 5 lunches on a row! You need variety to spice your apetite or you will get bored with the food! :\

>Schnitzel:

4 escalopes and prepare to wrap into
breadcrumbs:

flour
2 eggs
breadcrumbs
salt / pepper
oil or lard for frying

Pound the meat until thin-Lightly season with salt and pepper. You will need three shallow bowls - 1 for the eggs, 1 for flour and 1 for breadcrubs. Dip the escalopes in the flour first, then in the whisked egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Be careful to ensure that the the entire escalope is completely covered with the breadcrumbs.
Place the escalopes in a hot frying pan, the oil in the pan should be deep enough that the schnitzel's float whilst cooking. Cooking time should not be more than 4 minutes for each side.

Remember to serve hot with fresh lemon and potato salad

>Potato Salad:

Ingredients

1 kg potatos
1 red onion
vinegar
oil
salt
pepper
a bit of fine choped parsley

Recipe

>Boil and cut potatoes into slices( don't cook the potatoes too long).
>Add small onion pieces.
>Mix a marinade by using vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and pour it over the salad.
>Let it sit a little bit before serving.

Depends what you like really! Mine does not make a pot, and def. does not last 5 lunches-but you will get sick of eatig the same thing for 5 lunches on a row! You need variety to spice your apetite or you will get bored with the food

Look mate, I think I'm in a better position to decide what I need than you are. :p

And what I need is 5 days woth of extremely cheap lunches as I'm skint and don't get paid until Friday so the best bet would probably be a pot of something filling and healthy that will last 5 lunches. Either that or I raid Tescos reduced section this evening and hope for some bargains.

Look mate, I think I'm in a better position to decide what I need than you are. :p Fooor Suuuure!:p
^^^^
<<<<Hey mate you don't have to take everything at heart or personal level...it is just thrown out there and no harm meant! I tend to forget that you take it as if someone is ......perhaps like the tapes at night....TELLING you-what to do! How can I place it next time....my out in the air suggestions...so that you don't take them so hard? =D :p

And what I need is 5 days woth of extremely cheap lunches as I'm skint and don't get paid until Friday so the best bet would probably be a pot of something filling and healthy that will last 5 lunches. Either that or I raid Tescos reduced section this evening and hope for some bargains.

^^^^
How about this Bean Cassarole-below?

3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 Large onion, diced
2 Stalks celery, sliced
1 Med. green pepper, cut in strips
2 Med. tomatoes, diced
2 cups Red kidney beans, drained
1 pkg. Frozen baby lima beans,10 oz
1 cup Quick cooking barley
2/3 cup Chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
3 cups Boiling water
2 Tbsp. Grated Cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, and green pepper.
Cook slowly for 10 minutes. Do not brown.
Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, barley, parsley, salt, basil, and black
pepper.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 2-to 3 quart casserole with lid. Add
boiling water. Cover.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender and
liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.

Bean Bake>Can eat for lunch for a whole weak! Just have compassion for your co-workers! =D

How about you're too late. :p ;) :D

I went to Tesco yesterday to get my cheap lunches for the week and ended up spending £25! :X

I just ended up with a couple of baked potatos and beans and some fresh cartons of soup as I couldn't be bothered cooking.

That recipe looks fine but it really needs some spices in there to add flavour.

^^That sounds pretty good actually. I might give it a go myself.

Avocado & vegetable soup:
avocado002.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 large ripe avocado
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 tbsp veg oil
* 50g can of sweetcorn, drained
* 2 tomatoes, peeled and seeded
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1 leek, chopped
* 1 red chilli, chopped
* 425ml veg stock
* 150ml milk

1) Peel and mash avocado with a fork, stir in the lemon juice and reserve until required.

2) Heat the oil in a pan and saute the sweetcorn, tomatoes, garlic, leek and chilli for 2-3 mins or until softened.

3) Put half the veg mix in a blender with the avocado and blend until smooth. Transfer back into saucepan.

4) Add the stock, milk and cook gently for 3-4 mins until hot.

Hmm might give that a go, nice to do something more the guac with an avocado.

^^^^

3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 Large onion, diced
2 Stalks celery, sliced
1 Med. green pepper, cut in strips
2 Med. tomatoes, diced
2 cups Red kidney beans, drained
1 pkg. Frozen baby lima beans,10 oz
1 cup Quick cooking barley
2/3 cup Chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. Ground black pepper
3 cups Boiling water
2 Tbsp. Grated Cheddar cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, and green pepper.
Cook slowly for 10 minutes. Do not brown.
Stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, barley, parsley, salt, basil, and black
pepper.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 2-to 3 quart casserole with lid. Add
boiling water. Cover.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender and
liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.

Bean Bake>Can eat for lunch for a whole weak! Just have compassion for your co-workers! =D

^^^actually I forgot to mention that you add some Bay leaves, and a small chilli and what else you feel like it! =D DO NOT USE ANY CURRY!!

What do you mean do not use any curry? Curry isn't a 'thing' it's just the name of a dish.

You can't have a bean casserole which is a curry. :p

Call it curry powder instead then there won't be any confusion =)
Most traditional curries don't use shop bought curry powder in them so just saying curry doesn't make complete sense.

Well there you go, I don't eat curries at all, so easy to mess up!
Besides, I don't know the drill with some other country recipes! Sorry if I confused anyone!

Well there you go, I don't eat curries at all, so easy to mess up!
Besides, I don't know the drill with some other country recipes! Sorry if I confused anyone!

It's all pretty complicated when english isn't your first language!

Think I'm going to buy the ingredients for that bean casserole today, sounds really nice.

Yah, I like beans, they are pretty filling though. In a way of what Spade wanted to eat for a week, that is what that would do!

Just noticed this recipe...gonna so have to make this, sounds delish but don't fancy the dried shrimp in it :)

African Peanut Stew

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large leek, white part only, well-cleaned and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 green chilies, deseeded (if you wish) and minced
1½ teaspoons salt
2 cups vegetable broth
1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1 green pepper, diced
¼ cup dried shrimp/prawns (optional)
½ cup smooth, natural peanut butter
½ cup crushed peanuts, toasted

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, garlic and ginger and cook for five minutes. Stir in the ground cumin and ground coriander and cook for one minute. Add the sweet potatoes, carrot and chilies and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 5 minutes.

Add the salt, vegetable broth, pineapple, green pepper and optional dried shrimp. Bring the stew to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the sweet potato and carrot are soft. Mix in the peanut butter and cook for a final five minutes. If you want a thinner or thicker stew, you can add more peanut butter or, alternatively, more broth.

Serve the stew hot, with the toasted peanuts either sprinkled on top or stirred through.

Just noticed this recipe...gonna so have to make this, sounds delish but don't fancy the dried shrimp in it :)

African Peanut Stew

I saw something similar on tv but instead of peanut butter she roasted some peanuts and pounded them up without the skins on.

im going to make lasagne today

made it for the first time the other day and it was pretty fucking good, my bird put the garlic etc into the mince etc before i arrived so i need to find out what exactly she put into the mince in the pan first before i came and took over the rest of the cooking process!

anyone got any tips or secrets for cooking lasange?