• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

the rationality and morality of suicide

ive lost 2 uncles to suicide who were both in there 20s

i hope i dont end up the same way because my mum was pregnant with me when my uncle did it....
an i believe this is why I suffer so much mental pain because when I was in the womb I was flooded with all my mums depression etc.

I can only think this is the reason I feel so messed up and no anti depressants, excercise, healthy food, meditation or anything can save me.

I think I was born unhappy and am destined to die unhappy. :-(

to heuristic: i have bipolar, does that make me mentally ill? i can't decide for myself what is good for me? what if i don't want help from you or anyone else. mainly because 'help' seems to come in the form of locking me in a hospital. being 'mentally ill' doesn't make you less of a person, and just because i wouldn't decide what you decide doesn't make my decision wrong, just different. i'm not incapable of making rational decisions without being medicated out of my face.

Having a mental illness doesn't mean you are incapable of making good decisions. But in certain cases it may mean that actions the sufferer attempts to take are driven by irrational impulses or thoughts. When those actions involve grievous personal harm to the individual, I think the individual should be prevented from taking them. I don't think there is much value in, for example, letting someone in the throes of a horrible panic attack take his life to stop the anxiety.

The reason I think it's not a good decision is not because it's not what I would decide. It's because the decision causes grievous permanent harm to a person when there are far less harmful and better actions for him to take.

Is it therefore immoral?

I think it likely is, as an action, outside justified circumstances, unethical; but I don't think that's a sufficient reason to prevent someone from doing it. The gravity of the harm the individual is about to inflict on himself, which he would not if in sound mind, is a sufficient reason, though.

So would it be moral to deny an individual their autonomy?

I don't think it's a valuable part of individual freedom to permanently harm oneself due to mental illness. In this case, the disutility of the harm, and the utility of preserving a life, outweighs the loss of a choice of action. Not all choices are equally valuable, nor should they all be subject to equal amounts of respect.

But I think it a mistake, as well, to equate the denial of a certain choice with the denial of autonomy. I don't think autonomy is quite so brittle a concept, where if we deny a single choice we've broken it entirely.

And, stop me if I'm putting words in your mouth, but, outside of the 'special situations' (terminal illness.. etc.), suicide is not a rational choice, rather it is motivated by a degree of delusion, therefore, anyone attempting suicide in such a case is mentally ill (and can be denied their autonomy)?

I think outside of those circumstances a person attempting suicide is likely mentally ill; or is in any event acting under a clearly irrational impulse or motivation. That by itself isn't enough to justify stopping the person. But that, combined with the grievous permanent harm the person would inflict, IS enough to justify stopping the person. Imho.

ive lost 2 uncles to suicide who were both in there 20s

i hope i dont end up the same way because my mum was pregnant with me when my uncle did it....
an i believe this is why I suffer so much mental pain because when I was in the womb I was flooded with all my mums depression etc.

I can only think this is the reason I feel so messed up and no anti depressants, excercise, healthy food, meditation or anything can save me.

I think I was born unhappy and am destined to die unhappy. :-(

Having two uncles who committed suicide doesn't condemn you to the same fate.

By assuming it does, you've effectively decided that there's nothing that can be done to change the way you feel.

Lots of people who suffer from various types of mental illnesses obtain relief through various avenues. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to look at your family history, or anything else, and determine that you are beyond help.

Is the evidence such that it is extremely likely that there are tools to help you feel better? Absolutely.

It's common for those suffering from depression to make statements like you have. "I'm hopeless because [insert unalterable factor here: genes, upbringing, etc.]" That type of view is actually a symptom in itself. You may find yourself literally looking for reasons why a situation is beyond resolution. You'll question whether you and your uncles share genes that cause depression; you'll question whether your mother's feelings caused your depression; you'll question whether past actions, drug use, nutrition, etc. cause depression. And in each case you'll make the assumption that there's just nothing that can be done. You'll ignore articles stating otherwise; you'll doubt your doctors when they say otherwise.

So your analysis is actually just a symptom of the problem, not an accurate view of reality.

Keep that in mind as these thoughts come up. They're just flat wrong. They're the cognitive equivalent of sneezing.

Anyway, I know it's difficult, but hang in there, and keep trying to get some help. Trust your doctors, be completely honest with them, and follow whatever regimen they give you as precisely as you can. To the extent that you can't, or haven't, TELL them.

Above all, don't give up.

Having a mental illness doesn't mean you are incapable of making good decisions. But in certain cases it may mean that actions the sufferer attempts to take are driven by irrational impulses or thoughts. When those actions involve grievous personal harm to the individual, I think the individual should be prevented from taking them. I don't think there is much value in, for example, letting someone in the throes of a horrible panic attack take his life to stop the anxiety.

The reason I think it's not a good decision is not because it's not what I would decide. It's because the decision causes grievous permanent harm to a person when there are far less harmful and better actions for him to take.

hypothetical: what if you were in a trench and a few yard away you see 4 guys just chilling. for whatever reason they don't see the grenade that just plopped right next to them. you won't have enough time to warn them, if it goes off it will most likely kill them all, though you are at a safe distance. if you dive on that grenade, thus saving your comrades and sacrificing yourself, would this be wrong? after all taking a grenade to the belly will cause grievous harm and if you don't dive on it, you will make it unscathed.

I think it likely is, as an action, outside justified circumstances, unethical; but I don't think that's a sufficient reason to prevent someone from doing it. The gravity of the harm the individual is about to inflict on himself, which he would not if in sound mind, is a sufficient reason, though.

I don't think it's a valuable part of individual freedom to permanently harm oneself due to mental illness. In this case, the disutility of the harm, and the utility of preserving a life, outweighs the loss of a choice of action. Not all choices are equally valuable, nor should they all be subject to equal amounts of respect.

But I think it a mistake, as well, to equate the denial of a certain choice with the denial of autonomy. I don't think autonomy is quite so brittle a concept, where if we deny a single choice we've broken it entirely.

I think outside of those circumstances a person attempting suicide is likely mentally ill; or is in any event acting under a clearly irrational impulse or motivation. That by itself isn't enough to justify stopping the person. But that, combined with the grievous permanent harm the person would inflict, IS enough to justify stopping the person. Imho.

Having two uncles who committed suicide doesn't condemn you to the same fate.

By assuming it does, you've effectively decided that there's nothing that can be done to change the way you feel.

Lots of people who suffer from various types of mental illnesses obtain relief through various avenues. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to look at your family history, or anything else, and determine that you are beyond help.

Is the evidence such that it is extremely likely that there are tools to help you feel better? Absolutely.

It's common for those suffering from depression to make statements like you have. "I'm hopeless because [insert unalterable factor here: genes, upbringing, etc.]" That type of view is actually a symptom in itself. You may find yourself literally looking for reasons why a situation is beyond resolution. You'll question whether you and your uncles share genes that cause depression; you'll question whether your mother's feelings caused your depression; you'll question whether past actions, drug use, nutrition, etc. cause depression. And in each case you'll make the assumption that there's just nothing that can be done. You'll ignore articles stating otherwise; you'll doubt your doctors when they say otherwise.

So your analysis is actually just a symptom of the problem, not an accurate view of reality.

Keep that in mind as these thoughts come up. They're just flat wrong. They're the cognitive equivalent of sneezing.

Anyway, I know it's difficult, but hang in there, and keep trying to get some help. Trust your doctors, be completely honest with them, and follow whatever regimen they give you as precisely as you can. To the extent that you can't, or haven't, TELL them.

Above all, don't give up.

Thankyou so much bud, you've basically pointed out everything that I think of and said its just part of the illness which is a relief and breathes a bit of optimism into my head.

Do you think I should give up drugs altogether? (i only use ketamine and or 2c's on the weekend)

Im battling hard man and I really which I could reply with something better to actually show how much I appreciate it but I just can't make sense of what to write.

It's clear that you are motivated by the best of intentions, and you have put your points across clearly, but there are few things that make me angrier than someone claiming that my autonomy is of less consequence than their subjective morality.

E.g. taking drugs is bad - it is therefore moral to deny drug users their autonomy.

I feel that in cases where someone has expressed a clear wish to be allowed to die, at the same time as taking into account the suffering that this may cause others (family, close ones etc.), their autonomy should be respected.

And I think that suicide, outside of the special circumstances you outlined, can certainly be a rational choice.

From my own experience, over the last ten years or so my world view has become progressively more pessimistic. This is not linked to personal experience, or an abstract sense of hopelessness, rather it is based upon observations of the broad geopolitical situation and the likely intractable problems that humanity is now facing. I really don't want to be around to witness the prolonged series of progressively worsening economic and ecological crises that seem likely in the not too distant future - and, were my worst expectations to come true, I can see a time where suicide might be a rational choice (and also, in terms of relieving the burden upon scarce resources, that might even be for the greater good).

Last edited:
hypothetical: what if you were in a trench and a few yard away you see 4 guys just chilling. for whatever reason they don't see the grenade that just plopped right next to them. you won't have enough time to warn them, if it goes off it will most likely kill them all, though you are at a safe distance. if you dive on that grenade, thus saving your comrades and sacrificing yourself, would this be wrong? after all taking a grenade to the belly will cause grievous harm and if you don't dive on it, you will make it unscathed.

I think this would be one of those exceptional circumstances.

Do you think I should give up drugs altogether? (i only use ketamine and or 2c's on the weekend)

The answer to this depends greatly on what those drugs do for you. IF they are theraptic respites, they do no harm, but if they are attempts to escape or procrastinate, then they may do more harm than good. It's a grey area.

Im battling hard man and I really which I could reply with something better to actually show how much I appreciate it but I just can't make sense of what to write.

What you've written makes perfect sense. I can't cite source right now, but I read or saw somewhere a study where traumatic experience can have adverse effects a generation or two later. I don't understand the science behind this idea, but it's an interesting concept for anyone who's parent or grandparent experienced war.

It's clear that you are motivated by the best of intentions, and you have put your points across clearly, but there are few things that make me angrier than someone claiming that my autonomy is of less consequence than their subjective morality.

TBH, i would hope, that should i find myself in dire straights, I have someone like Heuristic nearby.

E.g. taking drugs is bad - it is therefore moral to deny drug users their autonomy.

This is very different.
Should murder be not stopped if someone's autonomy rationalises that it is something to do? I think not.

And I think that suicide, outside of the special circumstances you outlined, can certainly be a rational choice.

Such as?

This is not linked to personal experience, or an abstract sense of hopelessness, rather it is based upon observations of the broad geopolitical situation ....

you cannot have one without the other. ALL observations are filtered through personal experiences and emotional states. no one it truely objective, and as such, there is always a chance that your autonomous decisions are not entirely rational.

Should murder be not stopped if someone's autonomy rationalises that it is something to do? I think not.

Of course - but I have said several times now that an individual's autonomy should be respected in so far as that does not cause harm or suffering to others!

The 'drugs are bad m'kay? therefore, to prevent them from coming to harm by their own hand, it is morally acceptable to take away a drug user's autonomy' argument is a bloody good example of where an individual's autonomy becomes subordinate to someone else's subjective morality (even where the only perceived harm is to that individual)!

(and I rather get the feeling Impact that you're one of these sanctimonious types who feel that it is okay to impose their subjective morality upon someone else - because you know what is better for them than they do, hey? :X )

you cannot have one without the other. ALL observations are filtered through personal experiences and emotional states. no one it truely objective, and as such, there is always a chance that your autonomous decisions are not entirely rational.

Of course, everybody's view is subjective, so how can you say that my pessimistic outlook is the irrational one? I would argue very strongly that the implicit belief in infinite economic growth is pretty insane (with regard to finite resources, 2nd law of thermodynamics etc).

And, where no one can make a claim to objectivity, then I would again argue that an individual should be granted autonomy and allowed to make decisions based upon their subjective world view, in so far as those decisions do not cause harm and suffering to others.

Last edited:
I support anybody's decision to commit suicide. It is up to you, and only you, whether you want to continue living.

Rationally: if someone does not want to live, they can and should end their life.

I think there are situations where suicide is a reasonable, viable option... but to say this is inaccurate IMO.

Many of those who commit suicide (I have contemplated it for a couple years myself) are usually doing so to escape some unbearable situation and/or responsibility to which they simply feel they *cannot* face. For the severely depressed, just facing the music of the real world and dealing its day-to-day struggles can seem like just TOO MUCH.

I have gotten over the worst of my former depression (i hope), and I now feel like had I acted on my suicidal thoughts... it would have been a very selfish thing to do. There are people who care about me and whom I pushed away in spite of their trying to help me thru.

Is it right that these people should have had to suffer the grief of losing a 24ish year old friend/family member... just because I was in a rut mentally and was unable/unwilling to do the simple things that people everywhere MUST do to get by in the world?? I believe the answer is no.

And that is excluding the fact that often times, someone who commits suicide is leaving behind some sort of problem or "mess" that has to be "cleaned up" by somebody he/she has left behind. Think unpaid debts, children... things that do *go away* for the newly departed, but frequently make life harder (grief aside) for those left behind - those who had NO choice in the matter.

It might sound callous, and believe me I have thought of suicide many times in the past, but realizing this logic has helped keep me out of the abyss. Just one of many hard facts of life... there is (shouldn't be) no easy way out!!

Those who are depressed-- get help!! Don't kill yourself...

That's a great question. I think you'll find the answer a little surprising:

We don't classify acts such as those as acts of suicide. Why?

A necessary component of suicide is the intent to kill oneself. One must take an action, with the INTENT and purpose of killing oneself, and be successful, for one to have committed suicide.

The person who jumps on the grenade, who pushes the old woman out of the way of an oncoming car and gets hit himself, etc., are not taking actions with the PURPOSE of killing himself.

The soldier jumps on the grenade (there are at least two examples of this in recent history, incidentally, one involving a Navy SEAL and another involving a Soldier, both of whom were awarded the Medal of Honor) with the purpose of shielding his comrades from the blast, and not with the purpose of killing himself.

Thankyou so much bud, you've basically pointed out everything that I think of and said its just part of the illness which is a relief and breathes a bit of optimism into my head.

Hey, no problem. That's one of the hardest things about mental illnesses: they literally become a part of the way you view the world, and it makes it difficult to untangle the illness from reality.

As far as the drug use, you may not want to hear this, but that's something you've got to talk to your psychiatrist about. They could certainly be exacerbating the problem, or interfering with treatment for the problem.

Many, many people have felt as you have, and have gotten better. But you must give the treatments a chance to be effective, and that means being honest and open with your doctor.

First, I was careful to say that simply that an action is "bad" isn't sufficient to stop a person from doing it. Suicide, though, in cases outside justified circumstances, involves such grievous harm to the person that it DOES make sense to stop him. The good in allowing him the (wrong) choice to commit suicide is hugely outweighed by the harm in allowing to end a life.

Second, re "subjective morality," we're both arguing for principles that we think are best for society. Neither one of us can claim NOT to be making ethical claims. So I don't think metaethical discussions of subjectivity and objectivity are useful here.

My argument is based on beliefs and concepts about human good that we likely all agree upon. Society needs such a shared concept of the human good in order to govern effectively and remain cohesive, which is why a radically libertarian society simply doesn't exist. Radical libertarian principles are violated every time we decide to use tax dollars for schools rather than nuclear plants, for roads rather than bullets, because such decisions require us to decide which policies are BETTER for society.

Similarly, every time we require doctors to acquire licenses before practicing, meat to be inspected before being sold, etc., we make the same choices.

Now, I think it's worthwhile to have a discussion about whether there are cases in which it IS a good decision, or a reasonably or plausibly good decision, to commit suicide. I agree there are certain cases. But there are also cases where it simply isn't, and I have no problem banning those instances.

I feel that in cases where someone has expressed a clear wish to be allowed to die, at the same time as taking into account the suffering that this may cause others (family, close ones etc.), their autonomy should be respected.

Why? What's the value in allowing every such wish to be followed, even where it is clearly motivated by mental illness and is not a good decision?

From my own experience, over the last ten years or so my world view has become progressively more pessimistic. This is not linked to personal experience, or an abstract sense of hopelessness, rather it is based upon observations of the broad geopolitical situation and the likely intractable problems that humanity is now facing. I really don't want to be around to witness the prolonged series of progressively worsening economic and ecological crises that seem likely in the not too distant future - and, were my worst expectations to come true, I can see a time where suicide might be a rational choice (and also, in terms of relieving the burden upon scarce resources, that might even be for the greater good).

If you ever in the equivalent of a lifeboat at sea, with enough resources only to feed 4 of the 5 people in the lifeboat, and you wanted those other 4 people to live, then I agree that might be such a justified circumstance. But of course we're nowhere near that point.

That's a great question. I think you'll find the answer a little surprising:

We don't classify acts such as those as acts of suicide. Why?

A necessary component of suicide is the intent to kill oneself. One must take an action, with the INTENT and purpose of killing oneself, and be successful, for one to have committed suicide.

The person who jumps on the grenade, who pushes the old woman out of the way of an oncoming car and gets hit himself, etc., are not taking actions with the PURPOSE of killing himself.

The soldier jumps on the grenade (there are at least two examples of this in recent history, incidentally, one involving a Navy SEAL and another involving a Soldier, both of whom were awarded the Medal of Honor) with the purpose of shielding his comrades from the blast, and not with the purpose of killing himself.
I will address the bus case later but for simplicity i will only talk of the grenade case now.
If you jump onto a grenade you DO have the intent to kill yourself. you also intend to save your comrades, but you can be pretty certain you will die.
the dictionary defines intent as "purpose: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions"

that means the solider who sacrificed himself had INTENT to kill himself. no matter how long he had the plan(less than 2 seconds), or that he was stuck between two bad outcomes. ALL people who commit suicide do so because; of the available options they believe suicide has the best outcome.

^^ I hear ya, dogfood... but regardless of technicalities somebody performing a selfless act like that to save others' lives is not the same as willingly ending one's own life just to "get out" the easy way.

In many cases suicide is a selfish act no matter how you slice it... and the guy jumping on the grenade is certainly not selfish. Sure his wife/kids/friends/parents/whoever will miss him, and there will be a lot of grief... but he will be honored for saving the lives of four other men by sacrificing his own.

Somebody who sacrifices their lives, what is supposed to be the ULTIMATE price, for *nothing* but to escape his own misguided perceptions and/or problems, they are not doing the same thing as the 'hero' did.

^^ I hear ya, dogfood... but regardless of technicalities somebody performing a selfless act like that to save others' lives is not the same as willingly ending one's own life just to "get out" the easy way.

In many cases suicide is a selfish act no matter how you slice it... and the guy jumping on the grenade is certainly not selfish. Sure his wife/kids/friends/parents/whoever will miss him, and there will be a lot of grief... but he will be honored for saving the lives of four other men by sacrificing his own.

Somebody who sacrifices their lives, what is supposed to be the ULTIMATE price, for *nothing* but to escape his own misguided perceptions and/or problems, they are not doing the same thing as the 'hero' did.

what about the people who jumped out of the WTC on 9/11? they didn't save anyone and they only jumped to escape pain.
also to say that suicide is an easy way out highlights how little you know about it.

I will address the bus case later but for simplicity i will only talk of the grenade case now.
If you jump onto a grenade you DO have the intent to kill yourself. you also intend to save your comrades, but you can be pretty certain you will die.
the dictionary defines intent as "purpose: an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions"

The anticipated outcome that motivates the soldier is the preservation of his comrades' lives. The suicide portion of the outcome is NOT a motivation, and is in fact a disincentive; the soldier would prefer not to die. Every action has multiple consequences; those consequences the achievement for which we take the action constitute the purpose of the action. Thus, the consequences of jumping on a detonating grenade include: the ruining of one's uniform, the damage or loss of one's equipment, death, showing one's comrades the effects of a grenade detonated in close proximity to a live body, saving one's comrades from death, generating a notice of death letter, and so forth. Of those consequences, only the saving of the other lives is the purpose. The others are unavoidable consequences of the action, but hardly constitute the purpose.

In other words, the PURPOSE of the soldier's act is to save his comrades, NOT to kill himself.

But, regardless of the argument about whether this fits the concept of suicide (legally, it does not, and I do not think it does philosophically either), I will agree that this action--suicide or not--is justified and not an irrational act.

I think there is nothing irrational about it, and has nothing to do with morality.

Look at quality of life as a factor. When you perceive your quality of life as being in such a horrible state that the only choice is death, that death is the better option, isn't that the better option?

A life filled with pain, emotional distress, confusion, paranoia - pain physical or mental, where your day is a battle...I would hardly call that a life. Its hard to say, oh, well why did that person "give up"? Well, unfortunately you aren't them. This isn't a point where your sense of self is better than theirs. Some people just can't take it. Its not a hypothetical. Its real.

I think a better question is why is it taboo? Why is it socially hidden? Why is it feared? I'm more inclined that its a sign of societal sickness rather than a problem with the individual. That's where we cop out, we think the person is sick. Our lack of empathy and pathetic self-interest takes hold as some sort of vain safety mechanism. Its where we as friends do fail. And that's maybe too hard a pill to swallow.

I think a better question is why is it taboo? Why is it socially hidden? Why is it feared? I'm more inclined that its a sign of societal sickness rather than a problem with the individual. That's where we cop out, we think the person is sick. Our lack of empathy and pathetic self-interest takes hold as some sort of vain safety mechanism. Its where we as friends do fail. And that's maybe too hard a pill to swallow.
+100 million billion

People are scared to talk to "crazy" people. I'm very open about my psychological issues (once I know someone pretty well, of course) and everyone acts like I just told them 2+2=5 when I tell them about my problems - "but you seem so... NORMAL!!!" (I'm like, wait til you see on a bad day, which you won't, because I won't leave the house, lol)

Everyone has problems. Some are worse than others. No shame in trying to understand and help someone out, even if you're unsuccessful.

The anticipated outcome that motivates the soldier is the preservation of his comrades' lives. The suicide portion of the outcome is NOT a motivation, and is in fact a disincentive; the soldier would prefer not to die. Every action has multiple consequences; those consequences the achievement for which we take the action constitute the purpose of the action. Thus, the consequences of jumping on a detonating grenade include: the ruining of one's uniform, the damage or loss of one's equipment, death, showing one's comrades the effects of a grenade detonated in close proximity to a live body, saving one's comrades from death, generating a notice of death letter, and so forth. Of those consequences, only the saving of the other lives is the purpose. The others are unavoidable consequences of the action, but hardly constitute the purpose.

In other words, the PURPOSE of the soldier's act is to save his comrades, NOT to kill himself.

But, regardless of the argument about whether this fits the concept of suicide (legally, it does not, and I do not think it does philosophically either), I will agree that this action--suicide or not--is justified and not an irrational act.

i think you missed what i was trying to convey. what im saying is no suicide is done just to kill yourself, the suicide that most think of is someone trying to end some unfavorable circumstance. in this case the death of the person is a side effect of ending those unfavorable circumstance. so then what makes suicide 'wrong'? in short, i don't think suicide is morally wrong. it can be rational but not always, and the line is REALLY blurry to anyone but the person as you can't know what they feel.

i think you missed what i was trying to convey. what im saying is no suicide is done just to kill yourself, the suicide that most think of is someone trying to end some unfavorable circumstance. in this case the death of the person is a side effect of ending those unfavorable circumstance. so then what makes suicide 'wrong'? in short, i don't think suicide is morally wrong. it can be rational but not always, and the line is REALLY blurry to anyone but the person as you can't know what they feel.

Well, I'd say three things:

1. The soldier is correct in his judgment that there is no other way to save his comrades. The individual suffering from major depression who thinks there is no other way to relieve his own suffering is incorrect.

2. We can certainly understand how other people feel, and I think the lines are LEAST clear to the person suffering from mental illness and, under that influence, desiring to commit suicide.

3. I think if we view morality as a set of rules which should promote human flourishing, then suicide undertaken on an irrational impulse or false judgment is likely in violation of those rules, and so immoral. In short, suicide outside certain exceptions is wrong because it inflicts grievous harm on an individual for a bad reason, or false judgment.

Suicide is not an individual, independent choice. It directly affects those around you, especially the people who love you. There is a perspective of the experience of suicide that most of you have not and I hope more than anything in the world, that you don't, ever experience. That perspective is finding a victim of suicide. On December 21, 2008, I broke into my brother's apartment and fought with everything I had to save him from killing himself. I found him hanging on his bathroom door. I was five minutes too late. It has been almost a year and I am crying as I write this.

THIS WALL OF TEXT BELOW is the story I wrote a couple of hours after I found my baby 19 year old brother, and the best friend that I have ever had. If you are truly curious about suicide, please read my story below:

"Before you continue reading, I must warn you that it will contain graphic details. My brother, Jordan Lee Novak, 19 years old, brother and best friend to me, Trevor Novak, passed away on Sunday, December 21, 2008. I found him dead hanging in his bathroom.

I have to tell this story and if you can handle it, please read it. This is part of my grieving process.

It was Sunday morning at 3:15 am. I was asleep in my bed, laying with my girlfriend. My phone rang. I woke up and waited for it to stop. It rang again. I thought perhaps my brother was calling me for a ride home from work, or from a bar, or somewhere. I always took my brother where he needed to go. I told him to call me at 3 in the morning if he needed me and that he could call ten times in a row to wake me up and id be there. If I came grumpy, it was only because I was tired but I was glad to be there for him. I told him I loved him everyday and told him I would always help him with anything he needed.

I answered the phone. It was Katie, my brother's ex-girlfriend. It was 3:20 am.

"Hello?" I said.
"Trevor, I think Jordan is going to hurt himself."
"What? What do you mean."
"He said that he was going to do something and to know that it isn't my fault and that he loves me."
"Okay, let me call him and I will call you back."
I called him several times over the next ten minutes. When I didn't get an answer, I decided to go over there.

I called his phone the entire ride to his apartment. As I arrived to the apartment gates, his phone turned off and went straight to voicemail. It never rang after that.

I arrived at his apartment complex, it was 3:40 am. I walked up to his door and knocked.

No answer.

I opened the door and walked in. I saw his bedroom door shut with the lights off, and his roommates door shut with the lights off. I picked up the phone and called Katie.

"I think he is asleep, the doors are shut and the lights are off," I said.
"Trevor, go in there and make sure."
"He does this all the time, he prolly passed out."
"Go in there and make sure."
"Okay."
I reached for the door. It was locked.

"It's locked."
"Use a credit card, it works all the time."
"Alright, I'll call you right back."
I walked in. It was dark and I saw a lump under the comforter on his bed. I walked over and threw it off the bed. He wasn't under it. I thought perhaps he had gone for a walk as he usually does and would call me for a ride.

"The door was locked though." These words echoed in my head. I looked around and saw the bathroom door. The light was on and a sheet was hanging over the top. The event was so surreal I didn't quite grasp what was going on. I walked over and looked under the door and saw socks. I reached under and grabbed them and I felt feet. I ran out and banged on his roommates door. I ran back to the bathroom and began punching and kicking around the handle so it would break. I reached my hand through the hole that I made, and unlocked the door.

With my right arm I reached in and grabbed him and held him and with my left hand I opened the door. As the door opened, I felt him fall into my right arm. I lowered him to the floor. I opened the door and he was blocking it. I jumped up through the top because I could wedge it easier and landed over the sink.

I grabbed him and took the sheet off from his neck. He had small redish-purple marks but there were not any depressions or leisons. His head was falling over like a bobble-head, so I cradled it with my left hand and held his head up straight. His eyes were rolled back into his head and I stared him in his face. I grabbed him and held him and looked at him and kissed him. I screamed at him and screamed and screamed and held him. His roommate called the police.

We dragged him out and began to perform CPR. He was dead and the paramedics pronounced him dead after several attempts to revive him.

He had done this a week prior but I was never made aware. His roommate and girlfriend had found him and slapped him and woke up but when he did it that time, it was for attention. He had tried to kill himself before in the past even as a teenager but it was always in a way that seemed like it was for attention. He told his roommate and friend not to tell me because he knew I would worry. If they had told me before, I would been there with the doors knocked down in five minutes.

But I do not think that would have saved him.

There was a Darkness calling his name. It was echoing inside. Inviting him, calling him, begging him. It resonated. He fought against it as long as he could and as hard as he could but the Darkness finally took him from me. I was fighting so hard to protect him. I was fighting against the Darkness. I knew it existed and I was doing my best to destroy it but it is hard to destroy in other people. Only they can win the battle on their own.

Every five seconds I see my brother falling from the door into my arms. I see his feet under the door. I can feel them in my hands still. I can feel his body in my arms. I can still smell his cologne. It smelled good when he died in my arms. He looked asleep, I thought he was only asleep. He was warm. I still feel his heat, and I feel his hair in my hand as I held his head.

Tell your brother or sister or mother or father or friend or enemy you love them, because you never know when they might not be there the next day.

There have been over 100 different people come through our house, crying, collapsing and dying inside. There are a lot of people here in this house, together, who normally, would have not been caught dead with each other.

I know if my brother were able to talk to me in my ear about what was going on, he would tell me to get them the fuck out of the house.

But you don't get a say in this one Jordan. Not this time man.

I am at peace because I told him I loved him everyday and I was ALWAYS there for him. He knew I was. He always told people to call me if they needed help with Jordan and they usually did.

I am at peace because I kicked that fucking door in and I pulled him down and I held him and I loved him and I tried to save his life. He didn't stay there all night. He didn't stay there for a day or two days. He stayed only long enough and I got there to be with him at the end of it all I can feel like even though I didn't protect him, I rescued him. He died in the arms of his brother and I truly think he would have wanted it that way.

I love you Jordan. "

It has been almost a year and my perception of that night has transformed. I was in shock for a very long time after that night, and I was so dissociated from reality that I didn't grasp what had really happened and what the implications were. Jordan and I went through everything together and he was the only person that knew everything about me, all of my secrets, all of my idiosyncrasies and thoughts. I carry his ashes with me. I see him in my car, teaching me how to drive even though he was two years younger than me. I still give him lectures as though he is there. I take him to my classes with me because I always told him he would get an education and discover his potential even if it killed him. I still let him tell me jokes and I laugh with him. All of the experiences and associations of I have with him, I project onto reality when I am alone, and try to reconstruct the memories I have of him. Looking at pictures of him hurts me too much though. When I look at him in the eyes in photographs, I always see the image of his face the night I found him and when I see his true face, I just break down.

Suicide is much more complicated and intricate than simply whether or not the decision is theirs. The decision is ultimately yours, however, you are not the only variable in the equation. 700 people attended his funeral. He was certainly loved by many. The pain you had is only transferred onto everybody else and that is when it stops becoming only your decision.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. It hurt very much to write this but it is important that I share this with everybody.