• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The Protein Myth

To eat animals is to take on animal qualities. Look at what you just wrote and the manner you addressed me.

I would eat meat if it were a matter of survival.

Disciplined living has no meaning without life itself.

You live to fight another day, and perhaps better your predicament.

x

true

i mean we are a far cry from the hunter-gatherer days BUT
We still have the animal instinct and I think naturally we are designed to eat meat and not eating it cant do you much good

Mmmmm...IIRC, you have to ratchet up protein intake really high to run into health risks. The problem appears to be animal-based foods high in protein and saturated fat, but especially empty starches and sugars, crowding out healthier food.

Likewise, as a vegetarian, one must still eat a decidedly shitty diet to avoid getting sufficient protein. As a vegan, I'd consistently get sufficient protein for a training endurance athlete without trying.

vegetarians makes me sick 2 my stomach

Then prepare to vomit. ;)

ebola

Really, the RDA for protein is pretty high anyway. I forget what it is, but I think it's on the order of 60g/2000cal. Which I believe would be sufficient for just about any lifestyle, short of one that involves wrestling bears.

Eating some forms of protein requires eating a lot of saturated fats- and THATS what leads to bad health. Eating lean chicken, fish or even lean beef shouldn't cause any health problems.

that's REALLY what it is. i've noticed a huge improvement in my mental and physical well-being after slashing fat consumption to a bare minimum. i get my EFAs, i get my vegetable oils, but the meat i eat is the leanest it can get.

personally, i think overconsumption of carbohydrates are more the cause of illness. they clog your bowels, making it hard to eliminate toxins and that leads to a wide array of illnesses. along with the fat slashing, i also cut down on carbs.

the canadian food guide recommends 1/3rd protein, 1/3rd veggies, and 1/3rd carbs for meals but since, probably (i'm guessing from what i see day-to-day,) most north americans consume refined wheat almost exclusively as that 1/3rd of carbs that leads to problems.

for example, celiac? allergies to the most basic american staple food are on the rise. coincidence? probably not. we eat way too much of it. cereal in the morning? or perhaps eggs with toast? wheat. sandwich for lunch? wheat. pizza or pasta for dinner? wheat. breaded foods? wheat. it's freakin everywhere!

conversely, i don't recall seeing any protein-related illnesses on the rise.

The two most common problems are kidney stress and loss of calcium from the bones.

Of course, everyone is different. Some have linked allergies to high protein diets.

x

I generally agree with you xexon, though I am a "pescetarian" if labels are really neccessary. It seems to me that just as with drugs, food consumption, to a degree, is a YMMV decision.

I eat 80% raw vegan but I do eat eggs and fish (lactose intolerant here), and my dr told me I had the healthiest physical he had seen all year.

The main problem with red meat is a)the saturated fat/cholesterol content and b) red meat is hard for our bodies to digest... Google it and you'll see.

I dont' advocate MY diet b/c I believe we are all different, but in regards to the water consumption question-

If you eat a lot of high-water-content foods, such as fresh fruit and veggies, then you drastically reduce your need for "8 glasses of water a day."

EDIT: my protein consumption is probably way less than the RDA says, as well.

everyone has there own opinion n that

but i gotta say mine, and I think its discraseful you dont eat meat.

If you were in a plane crash and ended up on a dessert island on your own and had to eat meat in order to survive... you'd probably just die instead PATHETIC IF YOU ASK ME

We are fcuking animals so eat some fcukin MEAT DAMNIT thats wat animals r there for, to fuckin eat. do you think animals give a flying fcuk about humans? no

look at bears for example... give them the chance theyll rip any human in half for no apparant reason.

KILL ALL ANIMALS and eat the fcukin lot. vegetarians makes me sick 2 my stomach we are animals not fcuking herbavores WE ARE EATING, SH1TTING, FCUKIN dirty animals
Dude. You are dumb as shit. Truly. You make me want to be a vegetarian.