The official "wow, Ronnie James Dio was an amazing singer" thread. rainbow, black Sabbath, and Dio music. try it!!!

Rainbow
Man on the silver mountain

Rainbow
Stargazer

This next one is one of my favorite Sabbath songs.

Black Sabbath
Children of the sea

@dalpat077 what happened to the documentary you posted. I was watching. I was crying too. For real. I miss Dio. I'm still crying

Last edited:
Yeh, the guy had an amazing voice. I only ever saw him live once and that was with Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour. He fitted in so well with them considering he had big boots to fill...

@dalpat077 what happened to the documentary you posted. I was watching. I was crying too. For real. I miss Dio. I'm still crying
I know how you feel.

My bad. Was going to redo the posts so deleted them but then got sidetracked.

The only link that contained a documentary (of sorts) that I can think of was the below (tagged onto the beginning of the concert):

Unless you mean this:

Sorry about that.

I know how you feel.

My bad. Was going to redo the posts so deleted them but then got sidetracked.

The only link that contained a documentary (of sorts) that I can think of was the below (tagged onto the beginning of the concert):

Unless you mean this:

Sorry about that.

Yes that's the one. Thank you for reposting so I could watch the second half. I can't believe I'm crying about Dio. I don't think I ever grieved him like this before. Maybe it's because I'm drunk but I think it's something else. Dio is gone from this world and that hits me hard. Very few people have ever rocked as hard as Dio. What a singer.

Yeh, the guy had an amazing voice. I only ever saw him live once and that was with Sabbath on the Heaven and Hell tour. He fitted in so well with them considering he had big boots to fill...
You got to see him? You mother fucking lucky cunt!

He was actually coming out to South Africa but 9/11 put paid to that. Remember driving down the road and seeing a "Dio" poster on a lamp post. Thought I was seeing things so turned around and actually stole the poster and held onto it for years!

If you're talking about Ozzy re: the big boots. I've always seen them all as distinct from each other i.e. Ozzy/Sabbath, Dio/Sabbath, Ozzy/solo, and Dio/solo. Fortunately nobody made the mistake of having Dio/Sabbath performing Ozzy/Sabbath songs. Plenty of really good bands have made that mistake. Nightwish being a MAJOR culprit of this.

"Original Dio" to me was the Holy Diver era and with that particular band lineup. But I can honestly say there is not one single song or album that I've tired of or didn't like. Elf didn't REALLY do it for me. But from 1983 onward: there'll never be anything like it or him. Must say though that the various Dio/Sabbath incarnations were spectacular. And you probably got to see him with Heaven and Hell right?

Yeh, Heaven and Hell 1980. Fuckin amazing gig. But I still wish I'd seen Sabbath with Ozzy. Funnily enough, I'm not keen on any of the Blizzard of Oz or solo stuff he did - let's face it, compared with Dio, Ozzy can't fuckin sing. But he was perfect for Sabbath.

Yes that's the one. Thank you for reposting so I could watch the second half. I can't believe I'm crying about Dio. I don't think I ever grieved him like this before. Maybe it's because I'm drunk but I think it's something else. Dio is gone from this world and that hits me hard. Very few people have ever rocked as hard as Dio. What a singer.
Dude. I really do know how you feel. Long story: but it's one of the reasons I no longer drink and watch or listen to Dio i.e. I cannot handle it. And I ain't joking. So I feel ya! Enjoy though. Experience has taught me that it feels shit and laughable that this shit can bring a man to tears. But you feel better for a good while after. Thanks to your thread I've been able to actually sit and listen and watch some stuff without losing it for once.

For the record (no pun intended) but there was a Black Sabbath album called "Dehumanizer" (1992) that didn't seem to feature with anyone. But it's some of the absolute best shit and one of the best mixed and mastered albums ever.

Here's the full album (playlist). Only one of these songs ("TV Crimes") kinda sorta made it. But fuck me. It's "heavy" Dio/Sabbath at a very fine point. And some of the lyrics to these songs are absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Yeh, Heaven and Hell 1980. Fuckin amazing gig. But I still wish I'd seen Sabbath with Ozzy. Funnily enough, I'm not keen on any of the Blizzard of Oz or solo stuff he did - let's face it, compared with Dio, Ozzy can't fuckin sing. But he was perfect for Sabbath.
Yeah. What worries me is that after Ozzy goes who is left of this era? Probably Keith Richards and that doesn't really count in context! :ROFLMAO: I figure he'll outlive every member here! :ROFLMAO:

Agreed about Blizzard of Oz even although there's one or two real classics on that album. I'll get shot for this by purists but Ozzy/Randy Rhodes never did it for me. But there's some fucking A shit with Ozzy/Zakk Wylde.

It's sad and depressing that we're all getting on huh! When you see some of these dudes in their prime in the '80's.

Oh well and on a lighter not let's not forget about this (an all too familiar story but we'll not go into that! :ROFLMAO: ) (watch for Dio for those that are not familiar with this):

Yeah. What worries me is that after Ozzy goes who is left of this era? Probably Keith Richards and that doesn't really count in context! :ROFLMAO: I figure he'll outlive every member here! :ROFLMAO:

Agreed about Blizzard of Oz even although there's one or two real classics on that album. I'll get shot for this by purists but Ozzy/Randy Rhodes never did it for me. But there's some fucking A shit with Ozzy/Zakk Wylde.

It's sad and depressing that we're all getting on huh! When you see some of these dudes in their prime in the '80's.

Oh well and on a lighter not let's not forget about this (an all too familiar story but we'll not go into that! :ROFLMAO: ) (watch for Dio for those that are not familiar with this):

Is that Meatloaf in the video?

Incidently, my son is named after Zakk Wylde (different spelling though)

Alright for those in the mood for Dio tears just listen to this (the first song anyway i.e. just pure clean Dio vocals and that can be gut wrenching):

Going slightly off topic here, but have you seen this performance from Deep Purple with Ian Gillan in 1970?

I've posted this video many times because you just don't see this level of musicianship these days...

Going slightly off topic here, but have you seen this performance from Deep Purple with Ian Gillan in 1970?
Meh. I'm sure we can tidy the thread up when we're done shitting all over it! :ROFLMAO:

I've posted this video many times because you just don't see this level of musicianship these days...
No you don't see it. That's the problem. There's a lot of good bands out there. But they're all starting to sound the same. My theory is that it's because of all of the new technology that we have that these old bands didn't have so they had their own unique sound. Some of the good old shit (tones) you cannot simulate with a piece of software no matter how much you pay for it. And of course: real talent always helps! :ROFLMAO:

So how far back you wanna go? I'm figuring you'll remember Status Quo, Bay City Rollers, Sex Pistols? :ROFLMAO: