• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official "What constitutes a sport?" debate

duck_racer said:
Didn't want to start a a new thread but there should definitely be a debate about waht constitutes football.

Like - Football is a game invented by the Brits played by a team of 11, popular everywhere and the greatest religion on the planet.

I'll let Aussie Rules off because people call it that but American football?

It's Gridiron. ;)

(biased discussion over).

:D

REAL football: a sport in which the foot meets the ball a majority of the match

american/aussie football: a sport in which the foot meets the ball less than 10% of the entire match.

ditto on the greatest religion on the planet! :)

9mmCensor said:
To be a sport you must have:

- possibility to see blood during the event
- ability to cheat using drugs for an advantage
- possibility for good players to get sponsorship deals
- drama during competition at least 25% of the time
- sexually attractive competitors
- beer sold at events

Cooking:

- If you cut yourself
- When I'm high I cook better
- That would be great, I could be sponsored by Ron Popeil!
- I could see some food flying at competitors
- Yes, I am ;)
- Of course

StagnantReaction said:
Cooking:

- If you cut yourself
- When I'm high I cook better
- That would be great, I could be sponsored by Ron Popeil!
- I could see some food flying at competitors
- Yes, I am ;)
- Of course
If its gushing blood for at least 3 seconds, and your assistant has huge tits and washes the dishes at the end(all nice and sudzy), I would consider cooking a sport.

AmorRoark said:
So what do you think makes a sport? What don't you consider a sport? What are your guidelines (if any)?
to be a real sport it must be invented by the british, none of your foreign rubbish.

any competition is a sport. the only element is competition, even if it is with yourself.

basketball, football, baseball, all the activities that are traditionally considered
"sports" have, in virtue of their popularity, have confused the difference between "athletics" and "sports."

While all "athletics" are "sports," not all "sports" are "athletics."

my 2 cents...

While I've had this debate many a time, I've come to the conclusion that it's just a freakin word and its definition shouldn't hold such importance to so many people (I've had some debates get real heated). It really doesn't matter.

But then again, I do have a definition as to what a sport is: any activity which requires physical prowess and in which a winner and loser are chosen. Therefore, golf, track and field, tennis, even bowling are sports in my definition. Chess, poker, blackjack, not so much.

percy168 said:
to be a real sport it must be invented by the british, none of your foreign rubbish.

You really need to get a new shtick. *yawn* 8(

When there is a winner, and someone who doesn't win... it's a sport! :)

A sport is an event used for diversion, networking, and to the time pass better or invent a semi-real shared experience among otherwise isolated individuals or, more commonly, for the husbands of male female pair bonded opposite sex individuals to watch television by themselves for hours at a time on weekends while at home when not at work.

There are basically either players or spectators but sometimes umpires and referees as well. Professional athletes ('players of sports as a primary vocation') are often paid huge sums of money for their live performances.

Would you like me to write an analog age to digital age encyclopedia?

No problem. You might be surprised to see me be able to write and write well about more than just fun and games.

My personal definition would include "Physical competition between players or teams playing DIRECTLY against each other."

So TO ME, No defense = NOT a sport.

So TO ME, golf is NOT a sport.

If Tiger shoots a 68, he shoots a 68.

Whether Phil Mickelson shoots a 67 or a 94 is almost completely out of Tiger's control.

Golf is more like a math test than it is like Basketball.

Its not a sport unless you can have sex while participating in said "sport".

SAILING.JPG

Sailing is a sport.

I can tell you what's NOT a sport: Sitting in a car driving around an oval shaped track 500 times.

amen....now rally racing, that is fun to watch, but i don't get the appeal of nascar.

as for the topic at hand, the dictionary already defined it for us. the question is then if the activity actually requires physical exertion, and there is competition involved. so video games, no, that is mental exertion....but pretty much everything else mentioned here, even cooking iron chef style....is a yes.

DarthMom said:
amen....now rally racing, that is fun to watch, but i don't get the appeal of nascar.

AWESOME!! there ARE chicks who like rally car racing! i'm not alone afterall! i knew i liked you for a reason! :D

lol :D

yes that is some fun shit. in a circle, or nearly running over humans and off cliffs. i think it is obvious.