• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2011-12 college football thread! part 1 ver. WHERE IS SMOTPOKER??

Status
Not open for further replies.
20110121-j26mqtj35gd62rn52na3udnh24.jpg

and since when was the last time your team, the UGA Dawgs, has even sniffed a BCS Trophy? I know it must make you feel great that the SEC has won in the big games lately, but come on, there has to be a point where a fan takes pride in his own team for once!

although it is very cute to have such a high regard in your conference, that you even cherish the NCs won by your "ARCH-RIVAL" Florida, this is getting a little bit ridiculous!

jim-tressel-nc.jpg

plus, we all know that last NC won by the Camburglar is going to be denounced as soon as the NCAA grows enough balls to do it! ;)

and since when was the last time your team, the UGA Dawgs, has even sniffed a BCS Trophy? I know it must make you feel great that the SEC has won in the big games lately, but come on, there has to be a point where a fan takes pride in his own team for once!

30 years ago... good times. We could have played and won in 07-08, but that's life when there are other honest-to-goodness NC contenders in your conference. As is the case with oversigning-- why oversign when you have no regional competition(OSU). And then when one organization actually does start sounding off like they've got a pair (MSU), they're a threat in your milquetoast conference. Maybe we show solidarity because for our whole lives, we've had to listen to people just like us who look down their noses at us for being born in a place that lost a war before any of our families even emigrated here. Physician, heal thyself.

WE.WRECK.YALL.

ALL.DAY.ERR.DAY.

hahaha!

did you just say MSU, the Spartans, a threat to the Buckeyes?

wow, ya'll are really far removed from football up here. I can't remember the last time Sparty beat us (they did upset the 1998 tOSU team which was probably the best football team I've seen of all-time, and it's sad they didn't whoop the sorry-ass winner of the BCS title match)

BUT

Michigan State serves no threat, silly!

the only reason they scare me this year is because tOSU won't have their starting QB, RB, WR, LB, and OT

see up here in footbaw, our athletes have to pay the price for selling a jersey, unlike Cam "Scott-Free" Newton ;)

but srsly, Michigan State being a threat? they are more just really cute. I will bet that even without our first stringers; the MSU/tOSU is close. and hopefully tOSU will have a win; as that game will be their only test during their 5 game suspension (sorry 3, 4 and Miami Hurricanes fans :()

I do like Sparty tho... they recruit basically the Ohio high school B team

my favorite MSU QB was the decade-removed Jay Smoker

iirc LSU won by 14 points

just sayin'

and which team has more Heisman Trophy winners in the past 50 years?

LSU Tiger Bill Cannon was the last LSU athlete to be named Heisman trophy winner in the last 60 years for you. you don't even want to guess the number that tOSU has

up here my team wins via tradition, hard work, going to bed all the time, and eating all your vitamins. up here my team relies on athleticism and the finer points of a traditional footbaw game...

not dumb luck a la Les Miles ;)

SEC tops final Conference Power Rankings

After 35 bowl games we finally have a conference champion. To go along with its fifth straight BCS championship, the SEC also reigns supreme in the ESPN Stats & Information college football conference rankings.

The SEC did not have a great bowl season at 5-5, but did defeat three schools that finished in the top 20 in average computer rankings. The SEC also finished with an FBS-high .766 win percentage against other FBS conferences.

The Pac-10, similarly, went .500 during the bowl season but made its wins count. Stanford dominated the 11-win ACC champ, Virginia Tech, while Washington handled a 10-win Nebraska squad. Oregon’s loss in the BCS National Championship did not hurt the conference too much, either.

The Big Ten was the real loser during the past month. Its first, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth bowl choices all lost by a combined 102 points.

The WAC ends the season ahead of its mid-major rival, the Mountain West. Boise State’s demolition of MWC No. 2 Utah clinched the fifth spot for the WAC. The Mountain West shouldn’t worry too much going forward, as it has the top four schools from the WAC in average computer rankings all heading its way over the next two years.

The Big East was the antithesis of the SEC in the bowl season. Its 4-2 bowl record might sound great, but the wins came against Kentucky (6-7), Clemson (6-7), Kansas State (7-6) and Southern Miss (8-5). The conference’s top two schools -- Connecticut and West Virginia -- lost by a combined 44 points.

Code:
[B]ESPN Stats & Info Final Conference Power Rankings[/B]
[U]Conference 	AP Rank 	Computers Rank 	Final Rating 	Rating Change[/U]
SEC 		1 			3 		97.8 		2.7
Pac-10 		3 			2 		88.0 		2.4
Big 12 		4 			1 		87.4 		-2.6
Big Ten 	2 			4 		86.8 		-2.5
WAC 		5 			8 		64.5 		2.7
MWC 		6 			6 		62.8 		3.1
ACC 		7 			5 		52.8 		6.8
Big East 	10 			7 		27.0 		-3.5
C-USA 		8 			9 		17.8 		-0.1
MAC 		9 			10 		11.0 		-1.1
Sun Belt 	11 			11 		7.5 		-0.1

Funny to hear Southerners defend this most dishonorable practice.

I agree, it's a shitty thing to do - but tell me, how many players sign to such a school and aren't aware that if they don't live up to expectations they get the options of a red-shirt year (oops, shoelace injury), a transfer (and sit out a year) or go home (ie, scholly taken away). The scholarship is to play...and if you can't perform good enough to be playing, they'll give it to someone who can. I doubt many players go to schools with this practice and don't know it's happened to players before and could happen to them...and they go anyways, knowing they get the chance to compete and prove themselves the best. Unfortunately, too many of them are eating their own hype and believe they are the best, then don't pan out....time to transfer, and get some playing time somewhere else. I'd be curious if this is similar to how USCw operated, seeing as they ran 4 deep on 5-star running backs and such.

It's shitty, but the players have to be aware of it going in - or they simply refuse to see reality.

I agree, it's a shitty thing to do - but tell me, how many players sign to such a school and aren't aware that if they don't live up to expectations they get the options of a red-shirt year (oops, shoelace injury), a transfer (and sit out a year) or go home (ie, scholly taken away). The scholarship is to play...and if you can't perform good enough to be playing, they'll give it to someone who can. I doubt many players go to schools with this practice and don't know it's happened to players before and could happen to them...and they go anyways, knowing they get the chance to compete and prove themselves the best. Unfortunately, too many of them are eating their own hype and believe they are the best, then don't pan out....time to transfer, and get some playing time somewhere else. I'd be curious if this is similar to how USCw operated, seeing as they ran 4 deep on 5-star running backs and such.

It's shitty, but the players have to be aware of it going in - or they simply refuse to see reality.

True, but I think that if you give a player a full ride and he doesn't pan out, that is the coaches fault for mis-grading him when he was recruiting him. You shouldn't punish the player for that.

But I guess that's the difference between institutions that understand what higher learning is supposed to be and what it isn't supposed to be. The SEC is the only conference that does this, so I really don't think all the other conferences are screwing it up and the SEC are saints.

You shouldn't give a kid a scholarship only to take it away because you, the coach, (lookin at u saban) misjudged what kind of player he was going to be. That's completely fucked.

Last edited:
hahaha!

did you just say MSU, the Spartans, a threat to the Buckeyes?

wow, ya'll are really far removed from football up here. I can't remember the last time Sparty beat us (they did upset the 1998 tOSU team which was probably the best football team I've seen of all-time, and it's sad they didn't whoop the sorry-ass winner of the BCS title match)

BUT

Michigan State serves no threat, silly!

the only reason they scare me this year is because tOSU won't have their starting QB, RB, WR, LB, and OT

see up here in footbaw, our athletes have to pay the price for selling a jersey, unlike Cam "Scott-Free" Newton ;)

but srsly, Michigan State being a threat? they are more just really cute. I will bet that even without our first stringers; the MSU/tOSU is close. and hopefully tOSU will have a win; as that game will be their only test during their 5 game suspension (sorry 3, 4 and Miami Hurricanes fans :()

I do like Sparty tho... they recruit basically the Ohio high school B team

my favorite MSU QB was the decade-removed Jay Smoker

so whats so great about your team if they don't have to prove themselves against anyone in their conference? big fish in a small ass fucking pond it seems. 8)

and it's our fault that nobody can beat us?

I fail to see your logic; we can't help being the best and beating the best (as our best in CFB BCS win record shows)

plus, the Big Ten is making strides in bettering their conference. the fact of the matter, thanks to ESPN and the Big Ten Network, is that we are trying to add solid teams to our conference (like Nebraska next year)

the SEC is damn good, but there is a lot of shiestiness that is synonymous with that conference. just look at GT leaving and all the reports in the media

you can't fault tOSU for winning all the time, in this fractured system of BCS beauty pageantry - all a team can do is beat who they are up against

and it's our fault that nobody can beat us?

I fail to see your logic; we can't help being the best and beating the best (as our best in CFB BCS win record shows)

plus, the Big Ten is making strides in bettering their conference. the fact of the matter, thanks to ESPN and the Big Ten Network, is that we are trying to add solid teams to our conference (like Nebraska next year)

the SEC is damn good, but there is a lot of shiestiness that is synonymous with that conference. just look at GT leaving and all the reports in the media

you can't fault tOSU for winning all the time, in this fractured system of BCS beauty pageantry - all a team can do is beat who they are up against

no, but i think it's a problem when you say you are the best and have no real threats in your conference (as you said) when to be the best in the SEC there are serious programs you have to beat. is that a BCS problem? maybe. but perhaps the big ten just sucks, and to be the best of a shitty conference ain't that awesome.

meh, I wouldn't go as far to say "no real threats" - I would just say that tOSU is easily the best team in the Big Ten every year

I know you SEC thickies think that the Buckeyes are the only real challenge up here; but I have respect for the Wisconsin Badgers (SEC bowl game killas!) and the Iowa Hawkeyes (I know you SEC peeps loved how Iowa spanked GT in the bowl last year;))

sure, the days of Big Ten dominance came and went via the Michigan Wolverines not competing with the Buckeyes anymore, annually, for the Big Ten Championship

but I don't think you can be so deluded in your drunken SEC love-fest of liking all 20 SEC teams and then believing that the only TRUE Big Ten contender is tOSU

I bet those Wisco farm boys who are perpetually 250+ pounds and solid on O and D line would be pissed at your non-inclusion of them. Wisco is a great team that also always has like 2 NFL-ready RBs every season popping up more times than SEC/NCAA infractions

even Iowa, which yeah, struggles to ever beat the Buckeyes; still has a team that never really looses in the BCS or other minor bowl games

I agree with you in saying that Ohio State is the best in the Big Ten, but even our cellar-dwellers are pretty good

for example of this, just look at how Northwestern almost beat your Auburn Tigers in the bowl game last year, who you backed voraciously outta nowhere ;)

even Michigan State fields a solid team once every couple years

I agree, up and down the conference is no SEC, but I do believe that in this years' bowl games, the SEC had it made on NY day with having Miss State and FLA playing some pretty weak teams

the SEC had it made on NY day with having Miss State and FLA playing some pretty weak teams

We're talking about a florida squad that was absolutely awful to watch all year, fielding a QB who is mismatched to their offense. We're also talking about mississippi state team that hasn't been ranked this high since 1998-- the last year they won a divisional title. If UGA played michigan and utterly wrecked them, what adjectives would you use to describe the 7-6 dawgs? "Powerhouse"?

for example of this, just look at how Northwestern almost beat your Auburn Tigers in the bowl game last year, who you backed voraciously outta nowhere
Any given sunday et cetera et cetera. This was an auburn squad that went 5-7 the previous year, iirc. That's a little bit more believable, isn't it. Do you mean to imply that there's pairty between the bottom of the Big Ten and this years Auburn team?

even Iowa, which yeah, struggles to ever beat the Buckeyes; still has a team that never really looses in the BCS or other minor bowl games
I like Iowa... mostly because its so odd to see so many white people playing a sport without horses or ice.

but I don't think you can be so deluded in your drunken SEC love-fest of liking all 20 SEC teams and then believing that the only TRUE Big Ten contender is tOSU
You truly are from the conference that can't count, aren;t you. ;)

The record books regarding your conference bear my position out. If your conference was competitive, there is NO WAY your team could win 5 straight conference championships.

True, but I think that if you give a player a full ride and he doesn't pan out, that is the coaches fault for mis-grading him when he was recruiting him. You shouldn't punish the player for that.

But I guess that's the difference between institutions that understand what higher learning is supposed to be and what it isn't supposed to be. The SEC is the only conference that does this, so I really don't think all the other conferences are screwing it up and the SEC are saints.

You shouldn't give a kid a scholarship only to take it away because you, the coach, (lookin at u saban) misjudged what kind of player he was going to be. That's completely fucked.

To play devil's advocate, it's common practice to let have a Sr. riding the pine, because they couldn't get past 2nd string in other conferences...the coaches that are winning know you can't do that. If a player doesn't pan out by the second year, you need that roster space to be training another freshman for later on. There's loyalty, there's keeping your word....but then there's keeping your job, which takes winning games, which means you can't give a guy a scholly if he isn't helping you win.

Taking the Little10+2 as an example, they are very 'family' and big hearted and while rivalry games are must win games, your willing to keep someone like Rudy Rudiger on the team if he's a good kid, just not good enough to play. You can't keep to many of those charity cases, so you don't take so many gambles, and some of the guys grade out as players...others quit and go academic (since that may be what they were at the school for anyway), or they give their darnest on the scout team to help the real players be better (their way of helping the school, of earning a scholarship).

In the SEC, if you have a bad record two seasons in a row, or two out of three, you're out regardless of what you've given to the program (C'ya, Fulmer!), so coaches don't have space for charity case kids. Every crop you are bringing in has to be pushing your upperclassmen for playing time, and at the same time earning his place on the roster next year. Shit or get off the pot, because that's what the coach is told...and it rolls downhill.

I think the SEC, having pushed it's coaching salaries to the sky, and raising the expectations equally out of reach, have fed that environment - win or make way for someone who can, whether you are a coach or a player.

In the Little10+2, or PAC10, or Big12-2 type areas, where the big school is the only school, you have a lot of kids growing up always wanting to be a Buckeye, a Longhorn, a Trojan - and many of them are 2nd or 3rd generation students, if not athletes, of that school. There's a family tie in, there's that :gasp: tradition. In the SEC, there isn't that much anymore. Kids want to go where they can get ready for the pro's, and they'll go to any school that can give them the best chance to do that. There is a lot of raiding of one another's back yard for talent - it isn't for school loyalty, it's for who can help me win (in the coaches eyes), and who can help me go pro (in the player's eyes).

I was surprised to read about Carlos Dunlap, who went pro from the Gators as a junior, is back in school finishing his degree. Yeah, the NCAA has rules about graduation rates, but I believe (without looking up stats) that the SEC, and schools like FSU, MIA, etc are churning players thru the classes and losing them to 'turning pro' at a higher rate than other more school rich, 'character building' schools like tOSU, BC, ND, etc. Those schools get kids who value the school and the education AS WELL AS getting to play for them. SEC looks for kids who can win, and if you get a degree....that's on you, you've got the chance, and if you decide instead to go pro, well we both got what we were after didn't we? That is not to say we have more players actually making it in the pros, just more that think they can, and therefore they use our programs to get there, forget the academics. Along with another 'look this up', I wonder what the average salary, or job in general, is for athletes from non-SEC schools who don't make it in the pros vs those from SEC schools. I'll be their degrees mean a lot more, in part because they earned them and finished the degree in most cases :\

Damn. I didn't expect to get up on that soapbox. Sorry.

[damn we're good]

and it's our fault that nobody can beat us? [weak competition doesn't lessen our awesomeness, we'd beat anyone if they'd play us...except for all those ooc games we seem to lose]

plus, the Big Ten is making strides in bettering their conference. the fact of the matter, thanks to ESPN and the Big Ten Network, is that we are trying to add solid teams to our conference (like Nebraska next year) [okay, we are beating up on Sister Mary's school for the Blind, but we're bringing in someone to fix this...wait, did I just admit our conference is weak?]

You are aware, I hope, that GT left back in '64. It's had 56 yrs of evolution in the SEC since then, some good (money, money, MONEY!), some bad (...8)....no comment)

no, but i think it's a problem when you say you are the best and have no real threats in your conference (as you said) when to be the best in the SEC there are serious programs you have to beat. is that a BCS problem? maybe. but perhaps the big ten just sucks, and to be the best of a shitty conference ain't that awesome.

Backing up this statement by K, being the biggest bully of the elementary school playground doesn't mean a lot to the high school kids. When you are playing grown up nearly every week, coming back with the bloody knuckles and broken teeth to prove it ever Saturday, win or lose....then you can talk to us about being tough.

Even then, I don't think you'll have enough to buy the best players coaches, like we do...because you conferences won't shell out that kind of money and fire the guy a few months later. You aren't that crazy - you actually care about the coaches and players. Therefore, you can't compete with is :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.