• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

Things I found easy to forget but of utmost importance:
- Scissors
- Toilet Paper
- Can/bottle opener
- Towel (big enough to double as bed cover)
- Guidebook, pen, and paper (good idea deja!)
- Lucky charms
- First Aid Kit
- Basic nutrition: Oatmeal, Multivitamin, water, honey, tea, Ketamine
- Portable water heater
- Bowl (doubles as cup)
- Valium (essential for long trips)
- Flashlight
- Pillow
- Portable sewing kit
- Mouthwash
- Soap
- Technology: Laptop, Camera, Phone, PSP
- As many books as one can carry

I'd LIKE to have:
- Portable solar cell + battery

Are you being serious about ketamine? Do you not think it's a bit risky taking valium, ketamine and even (possibly) multivitamins to certain countries abroad?

just curious, what size of backpacks do you guys take/have? i want to buy a bag so when i go travelling ill have it, but not sure what is necessary for the essentials.

Are you being serious about ketamine? Do you not think it's a bit risky taking valium, ketamine and even (possibly) multivitamins to certain countries abroad?

Well, in my case, I am legally prescribed valium (and even if I werent, wherever you are, you can go to a doctor and ask them for a small script specifically for travel anxiety - it is a perfectly legit reason for a doc to give you a few doses of benzos.

As for K, well, it looks like water, so...

I won't get into details so as not to break forum rules.

But in the case of overland travel, you barely ever get searched at border checkpoints (I've crossed borders at least 20 times in my lifetime, and never once did I see anyone get searched).

It goes without saying though - don't even think of doing this if you don't know what you're doing!! As I said, I've done it countless times and I know exactly what to do.

how am I supposed to know if I know what i'm doing if no one is allowed to tell me if I know what i'm doing?

just curious, what size of backpacks do you guys take/have? i want to buy a bag so when i go travelling ill have it, but not sure what is necessary for the essentials.

I have an Osprey 80 L. It's BIG! I could probably fit inside of it lol.

It would be annoyingly heavy if it was full with solid things, but I just wanted plenty of room to get in there and rummage around and find things if I need them, rather than have a smaller pack CRAMMED full, you know?

It's a very quality pack. I highly recommend OSprey. It came with a cute little daypack attached, a small one, perfect size for me.

It also has a thing where you can zip it all up into one piece so the straps don't hang out and get ripped off while going through baggage at the airport.

It was 250. I think it's a pretty good deal. Here it is.

http://www.rei.com/product/748438?c...-06C0-DD11-9B0F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Mine is maroon and black instead of gray.

:)

mine's a north face knockoff bought in bangers for like $20. best bag ever. has a mini backpack on the back that zips off and a fanny pack on the bottom that comes off too. plus a separate sipper compartment underneath for dirty shoes or other gross shit. not sure how big it is (not huge), but I never really bring that much stuff with me anyway.

I wont be caught dead wearing a fanny pack. ;) lolz

20 bucks is a good deal though. Everyone warned me against cheap packs and told me to invest in a good one so I listened to them and did. Not sure if it was a good idea or not but oh well, I already am too attached to it to bring it back.

I've had this one for like 4 years now. one of the little backapck's straps is not broken, but everything else is perfect. Oh, and it has a zipper flap on the back part so you can zip up all the straps and it essentially becomes a duffel bag. great for protecting them during flights

the fanny pack's big too. goes over the shoulder. it's a perfect bag for festivals and stuff. come to think of it, I might have lost it at burning man. shit.

lol. Yeah sounds about the same as mine minus the fanny pack. I wanted something BIG, I plan to use it for years and at some point I want to do some off trail camping here in the states and want something to bring tents and pots and pans and what not in.

A 'school sized' backpack is the way to go. Use one that's a little beat up, so that it's distinctive, less likely to be stolen, and soft for using as a pillow. Keep it with you all the time, or lock it in a locker you have the only key to.

2 bottoms, 3 tops, 3 pairs of skivvies, one good pair of shoes appropriate to the climate and terrain.
Hoodie if it EVER gets cold where you're going
Flip flops for sure
Silk sleeping bag
Travel towel
New, never used one hitter
Sarong
First aid kit, with 3 legally prescribed Vicodins, 10 asprin, 10 immodium, 10 benadryl
Money belt with traveler's checks and a bit of American cash
Passport with all visas already arranged before leaving, if necessary
Phrasebook, if necessary

This is just about all I wouldn't want to be without AND wouldn't stand a good chance of finding in, or at least well on the way to any destination that has any semblance of civilization.

Jamshyd, that's just bully for you if you're oh for forty on shakedown border crossings. I've had 3 so far, and two of these were by land. Be smart kiddos -- keep your person clean going through customs, especially in Asia.

those cargo pants that zip off into shorts are handy too.

Hehe.. there is no way in hell my stuff would fit into a "school sized" backpack. Mine is like 8 times that big lol.. I'm now bringing 4 bottoms, and 4 tops, all enterchangable.. of course I'm a girl and I have fashion to think about!

Jamshyd, that's just bully for you if you're oh for forty on shakedown border crossings. I've had 3 so far, and two of these were by land. Be smart kiddos -- keep your person clean going through customs, especially in Asia.

Perhaps I am lucky in this department.

Still, even if I do get searched, they really have nothing on the benzos (since I have a script)

Edit: Please, try to keep ways to cross borders with drugs out of this thread. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always feel like you wont get searched when you have nothing and will get searched the one time you attempt something. It's just law of attraction lol.

pack liiiiiight!

I say advice on 3 sets of clothes that mix and match is a must.. some thought must go into this... don't worry about looking trendy, just go for durable, long lasting clothes your comfortable in..

Shoes are very important - get something with good soles.. generally spending more means higher quality, better comfort.. also get something that goes with both jeans AND shorts.

Pack lots of socks and underwear.. and don't be afraid to wear these twice.. (haha, but don't go as far as inside, outside, backwards, forwards with ur underpants, kinda gross).

Most stuff you can buy abroad, but a lot of the time you will not want to be out shopping for clothes.. its a total downer (especially if your male).

I would suggest seeing the doc and getting perscriptions for sleeping tabs (say ur a light sleeper and need them for the plane). Also get something for dihorreah. Pack asprin, bandaids, nail clipper, toothpaste/brush and shaver.

Avoid heavy weight clothes - a hoodie may not be necessary if you are going to a warm climate.. Take 1 pair of jeans maximum, the weight really ads up - get some traveler pants. 1 Dress shirt for going out.

Smoking device unnecessary - just construct one ;0

Write a list and plan plan and plan again.. as this is what you will be LIVING WITH and it sucks enough living out of a backpack/suitcase to be ill prepared!

Pack lots of socks and underwear.. and don't be afraid to wear these twice.. (haha, but don't go as far as inside, outside, backwards, forwards with ur underpants, kinda gross).
I've learnt that going commando saves a lot of space ;)

I've learnt that going commando saves a lot of space ;)

haha yeah but undies are good for sleeping in too.

Whoever said sarong is on the ball. A decent size one can double as a sheet in emergencies. If you're going somewhere wet & cold then a gortex or other water/windproof shell is a very good idea. They fold down very small and help a lot to keep you warm.

^ There's a thread on the Lonely Planet's Thorntree forums where people list literally hundreds of things a sarong is good for. I wouldn't travel without it, especially to a beachy destination. Plus my wife gets turned on seeing me wear it with a wifebeater =)