• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

^ Nothing personal dude, but I really think the word 'Gypsy' needs to drop out of the English language. It's not correct for really any of the people it's used for. It's a cutesy abbreviated way to say 'Egyptian', when you look at the word, and none of the itinerant peoples who live on the fringes of European societies trace their origins to Egypt, really.

Just to clarify, are you talking about:
1) Rroma and other ethnic groups from other places, who've been wandering around Europe for centuries, OR
2) Lower class indigenous groups that have traveled and camped and wheeled and dealed their way around Europe for all of known history, (I think travellers is the proper term) OR
3) Recent migrant laborers from foreign countries, who are kind of itinerant by their nature?
I haven't spent really any significant time in W. Europe, but I never realized any of these groups were around in droves.

I've always wondered how the rich countries of both the Mediterranean and East Asia have managed such narrow inequality gaps. Taiwan had pretty much no easily visible poverty when I was there in the early part of the decade, nor did Japan a decade earlier.

Thailand didn't strike me as a place of glaring inequalities during the early 2000s. Yeah there was a sprinkling of rich businessmen and gangsters around everywhere you went, who liked to flaunt. But other than that, it seemed like a solidly lower-middle-class nation, of frugal people who had just enough to live decently. The standard of living difference compared to Taiwan reminded me of that between middle and working class America.

ye people called em gyptuns by mistake, cuz they thought they were from egypt. that was long time now.

but,
Nothing personal dude, but I really think the word 'Gypsy', regardless of its origin in misconception some hundreds of years ago, has a correct use in English today, despite your sentiments, as a word to describe the European, lower-class travelling peoples, Roma or not.

To say the word is not "correct", and should be dropped from the English language, because it stems from a centuries-old misconception, is absurd.
Many words stem from misconception.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber#Etymology said:
The English word amber stems from the old Arabic word anbargris or ambergris and refers to an oily, perfumed substance secreted by the sperm whale. Arabic a'mbar > Middle English ambre > Old French ambre > Medieval Latin ambra (or ambar). It floats on water and is washed up on the beaches. Due to a confusion of terms (see: Abu Zaid al Hassan from Siraf & Sulaiman the Merchant (851), Silsilat-al-Tawarikh (travels in Asia)[24], it came to be the name for fossil resin, which is also found on beaches, and which is lighter than stone, but not light enough to float.
Everyone knows what amber means, and everyone knows what gypsy means.
And so, we call fossil resin, 'amber', and the European, lower-class travelling peoples, 'Gypsies'.

"Traveller" is a euphemism, and clunky.
a millionaire, sailing the world in his yacht, is a traveller, but not a "traveller".
a student, backpacking 'round SE Asia, is a traveller, but not a "traveller".
Some (most) people prefer using the archaic term 'gypsy', to refer to the "travellers", so we don't have to do the fingers-in-the-air quotation marks, every time we want to refer to "our travelling friends".
Many others prefer the derogatory, 'pikey'.

Migrant workers are migrant workers, gypsies are not workers at all.

I am in Bangkok now. Who else is?

Try to contact Vegan (of BL). He is a wonderful person, and unlike myself, actually loves Thailand. Perhaps he can help you make something positive out of it :).

@junctionalfunkie: yepp, i did. been a month already, slowly settling :)

@jamshyd: thanks. will do, sooner or later :)

I'm in Bangkok at the moment, have been for around 6 days and despite it being a shit hole I love the place. It's fascinating, bizzare and full on.

The people are amazing. So friendly and welcoming and willing to go out their way to help no matter how much of an inconvenience it is. Met so many amazing locals who have gone to great lengths to make us welcome and help us out. It's incredible.

Heading south next I think to some of the islands, not sure where yet so suggestions welcome.

Ximot, out of curiosity, which area of bkk are you staying at?

Spade: I hear Timor, Komodo and the Flores are pleasant these days ;)

:p

Headed North in the end, in Kachanburi (sp?) / River Kwai, love it here too. Ayutthaya tomorrow.

ach i cant wait to get out there,
how much did you set aside for your trip Spade?

For real adventure, head to Raja Ampat or the Lembah Straight. If you're flush, go to Wakatobi...

Borneo, too, is worth the time.

but we're getting o/t ;)

Around Prakhanong/Ekkamai, upper end up of Sukhumvit . . .

Dude, are those real Thai islands you're mentioning? :eek:)

Change of subject:

THAI RANDOM DRUG TESTS... testing your urine, when they raid clubs

was recently spot-checked at ekkamai bus station returnig from elsewhere one evening, they just checked me bags and pockets and didn't even find my single cap of K, and despite finding my cocaleaves they weren't interested (not even in the soda bicarbonate I had with me... goddamn, they even tasted it, it should have been bromo-dragonfly or dob and they would have been in a well-deserved hell of their own karmic making by the time they''d let me go, fuckheads!) ...
anyway, i know now that I must take precautions when out and about, especially at night, and I think i know how to take them.

Now I do feel a bit concerned about my safety if a club is raided and evveryone has to pee and I am in it... as this happens here quite regularly, as i can see in the local media.

WHAT DO THEY TEST FOR? All I know is that the test strip will turn bluish-purple if it is positive, and nobody can tell me more.

And are there any things that can give false positives for the things they test for?

I do know that hemp seed oil can give a false positive for THC, and i do keep a bottle of hemp seed oil in my fridge (not just for that reason, I do like it too I have to say).

I also know that selegiline (l-deprenyl) can give a false positive for amphetamines, and since I have a prescription for that I should be covered on those grounds, hassles + lawyer included perhaps first, should anyon ever spike my drink with yabaa on rare occasions of craziness ;-)

What else do they test for? What if I haved taken a tab of acid (not unlikely on occasion)? What if I have been chewing coca leaves (extremely likely) ... will that test positive for Cocaine... would they be testing for Cocaine (which is kinda big here I have come to realise) ?

if they use standard drug tests then i assume K is not tested for. Good for me, as it's the one thing bar cocaleaves that I use with any kind of frequency, but it has had a fair bit of attention in the media here.

Anyone know more?

:|

^ Heh, for all you could know, they could be testing for pregnancy or AIDS. They are Thai, after all.

I really, really, really, REALLY would not advise walking around in public anywhere in Thailand with ANYTHING psychoactive or ANYTHING powder-like. Read that book about the guy that was imprisoned for H... I forgot what it was called EDIT: "The Damage Done", but it's got to be essential reading for any farang who has any interest in drugs.

DO NOT RISK IT.

Do not take acid in public.

Do not carry anything remotely drug-like in public.

Do not chew coca leaves in public.

They CAN do standards tests on you and you WILL test positive for coke. You are totally under their mercy then, and the Thai love fucking up with farang, especially if they had not taken all your money yet.

It seems to me you've been underestimating just how narcophobic the Thai police are. After all, it is a very, very easy way for them to extort money, and a Thai would do anything for money, even sell his mother.

Btw, don't count on your prescription saving you from an amphetamine false-positive. Amps are the BIGGEST no-no in thailand. After all, thousands of yaabaa addicts were publicly executed.

Ekkamai? I was this close to rent an apartment near there. Its one of the places you can find decent housing for a decent price (factoring in the 300% farang tax).

As for the Islands I mentioned... yes, they are real, but they are part of modern-day Indonesia (and East Timor for Timor) ;).

Pai used to be nice as well, but it's a little played out now.

I've gotten reports that the rush of Thai tourists has died down, and has been getting much quieter. It's still not the days when you would go to the waterfall and buy an M-150 bottle full to the brim (with china white) for 3000 THB... but it's a far cry from the rush that ensued after it became THE go-to destination for trendy Thais.

and a Thai would do anything for money, even sell his mother.

I disagree with a lot of the things you say about the Thai people. They are lovely, friendly, welcoming, warm, hospitable and the ones I met aren't money grabbing whores either, they've been the ones treating us to dinner, beer etc.

In Laos now anyways, Vang Vieng.....mental!

how much did you set aside for your trip Spade?

I think most days 1000 baht is enough and that includes accomodation, eating out 3 times, getting drunk, laundry etc. If you don't drink every day then much less. I live like a king. :)

Hiking, and how about it?

I was thinking about posting this in HL but thought it'd be equally (if not more) acceptable to stick this thread here as I'm not just inquiring about how people feel about hiking in relation to their health, but how BL feels about hiking in general. (However SO mods, the final call on this thread's resting place is up to you)

Do you like to hike?
What is your favorite hiking spot?
Why do you like/dislike hiking?
Where do you suggest others should go hiking?
Any cool hiking stories?

Experienced hikers, what should the inexperienced know that they might not know?

As for me, I love to hike. Hiking is one of my favorite hobbies and I hike whenever I have the chance. I cant say I have a favorite hiking spot, but I love hiking up in Yosemite (specifically Tuolumne Meadows). I suggest everyone check it out if they find themselves in the Sierra Nevadas.

I love Hiking as it gives me time to enjoy nature, clear my head, gives me some fantastic calf muscles (if i do say so myself), and it brings me inner-peace.

1. love to hike.
2. echo canyon at camelback mountain (AZ)
3. it's a really tough workout but i enjoy the scenery and the rewarding view when reaching the top, so it doesn't feel like working out.
4. i guess it depends on how experienced they are, but any mountain in arizona (during anytime but the summer) is worthwhile. beautiful views
5. not anything in particular. each time i go i meet a new person (oftentimes a buddy on the descent since i hike alone) and some of the wildlife is cool, like bee's nests (from a distance) nesting hawks in the cliffs in the early spring and weird lizards.

My biggest tip is to wear proper hiking shoes. Too many times I've seen people wearing running shoes and have seen them slip on loose rock or nursing sprained ankles. I often hear stories on the news about inexperienced hikers on the Echo Canyon trail that are unprepared, slip and kill themselves. Oh, and of course bring WATER! You will need it.

Hiking, particularly solo hiking, has been one of ny favorite activities since childhood. Vigiorous exercise combined with a voracious appetite for knowledge of one's environment equallls complete exlirihation for me.

With drugs or without, a good hike will blow your mind!! :):D;)<3<3

I love hiking. In 2005 I spent 3 weeks hiking in Alaska which was absolutely amazing.

November last year a friend and I did the whole Great North Walk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Walk), 250KM, 13 days. I thought parts of my body would never work again.

It's a dream of mine to through hike the Appalchian Trail someday but I'm not sure if it will happen. Will take a lot of organising to get there and spend that much time from Australia!

I love hiking. In 2005 I spent 3 weeks hiking in Alaska which was absolutely amazing.

November last year a friend and I did the whole Great North Walk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_North_Walk), 250KM, 13 days. I thought parts of my body would never work again.

It's a dream of mine to through hike the Appalchian Trail someday but I'm not sure if it will happen. Will take a lot of organising to get there and spend that much time from Australia!

Have you read A Walk in The Woods by Bill Bryson? It's about doing the AT in a pretty laid-back way, :D

I would say the biggest thing to remember is a good choice of footware. something that has a heavy rubber sole with good grip, good ankle support, and fits properly..that means snugly. Proper socks and tight lacing up of the footware essential. if its loose, you foot slides inside and you get blisters.

If your going camping/backpacking/other long trip, bring two pairs and alternate them daily to prevent getting water logged skin and microbal growth that leads to infections and other things that make your trip much less enjoyable.

also, some rapid source of sugar is good. candy sticks or shit like that, esp if your carrying alot of stuff somewhere hilly/mountainous...more an issue on long trips where your bringing your stuff along in a pack.

my best (or worst but still memorable) trips have been in the rocky's in alberta/BC Canada, and a wanky competition in wales though the Cambrian mountains that combines freezing your balls off with carrying 45kg around for 10 days with a 'prize'of being able to say you did it.

Last edited: