⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Magnificent Seven

Shale

Bluelighter
The Magnificent Seven
Movie Blurb by Shale
September 23, 2016

I recently found the DVD of the 1960 movie of the same name in the $4 bin at Best Buy and saw it for the first time. This one follows some of the key scenes but with much more action than the earlier movie. I suppose remakes of these old Westerns mostly take advantage of better filming and special effects because old movies, no matter how good are dated. (Like "True Grit" 1969 & 2010 - I liked them both but the earlier one just didn't connect as well with me)

Anyhow, instead of a band of outlaws stealing from a small village, this is a robber baron, Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard) exploiting a small town in the 1870s while mining for gold. His mining operation has destroyed the town's water source (See, they modernized the problem to our current problems with robber barons so we can relate). When the town meets to complain his armed thugs and the paid-off Sheriff (Police?) come in and shoot several of them, including Emma Cullen's (Haley Bennett) husband.

Now comes a scene where an unlikely, well armed black man, Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington) rides into another town and goes into a bar looking for someone. He's a Bounty Hunter (Shades of Django?) and after shooting up several ppl who drew their guns on him, gets his man and meets his future business partner, gambler Josh Farraday (Chris Pratt). He is soon approached by Emma Cullen to help her town and of course he takes the job against all odds just because this is a "Seven Samurai" type Western.

Sam & Josh, New Partners
magnificent-seven-2016-washington-pratt.jpg

The three of them go out looking for more help, which includes civil war sharpshooter, Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke) and his assassin partner Billy Rocks (Byung-hun Lee), backwoods tracker Jack Horne (Vincent D'Onofrio). Mexican outlaw Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo) and a Comanche warrior, Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier).

Seven Warriors Lined up
magnificent-seven-2016-cast.jpg

As in the earlier movie, these seven hired guns train the townsppl how to handle weapons, set up barricades and obstacles and lay in some explosives that they stole from Bogue's mine.

Seven Dramatic Entrance into Town
0,,19564826_303,00.jpg

Emma Gets Lesson from Josh
df10773_r.jpg

From there the bad guys lay siege and the battle of good & evil ensues. As in the older movie, some of the seven don't make it out. I found it quite an entertaining and enjoyable movie.

you got the gift of gab, shale. couldn't stop reading once i started. i doubt i'll get around to this, but thanks for sharing your blurbs.

Yet to see a hollywood remake that hasn't disappointed me. So much so, that I don't bother with them anymore but rather, re-watch the original.