The Lounge now a hidden subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.
^so you're saying the move is to increase traffic to the lounge?

I assumed this was to protect sensitive users from accidentally being exposed to things that are the antithesis of Harm Reduction imo.

So what exactly contribution did you have to this change? And if you are a lounge mod, why didn't you ever do anything to contribute to the lounge before just fucking it.

you read the senior staff forums. you tell me.

i'd predict that the majority of those who participate in the lounge currently joined bluelight for a reason other than that.
You can't predict things that happened in the past.

Your inability to reason and communicate is disturbing.

i'm a lounge senior moderator. and i don't engage those who are incapable of civil discourse. if we were in the lounge, i would have no problem ripping you a new one ;)

both baooozs and foreigner have been extremely civil and helpful in this matter.

...kytnism...:|

I'm really surprised that Bluelight staff feels that people under passive-inducing medications and psychoactives would respond competitively as far as numbers and trends go....

you read the senior staff forums. you tell me.
Yeah I read your forums because I am a naturally curious person and YOU FUCKING LET ME BY FUCKING UP THE PERMISSIONS!

I also wont divulge what I read/saw, beyond the proof I sent to staff.

oo I definitely called this happening a while ago

im going to do the same thing I was going to do tomorrow regardless of your vbulletin setup

slater

the lounge is a big comedy club. i think it will always be clique-y. a certain style of comedy either suits you, or it doesn't. i think it always be this way. this is why we don't all agree on which comedy shows are funny.

as for the future of the lounge, that's really yet to be seen but i don't think it will be that harmful. i'd predict that the majority of those who participate in the lounge currently joined bluelight for a reason other than that. i for one, didn't really pay attention to the lounge. then i started overseeing it and because i had to read many of the threads, i began to find it enjoyable for my own reasons. it's very unusual for someone to join bluelight strictly to lurk the lounge and stay that way. i maybe wrong. i look at the roster of people that are active in the lounge daily and like i said, it's almost always the same people.

also, because it's private you never know. it might bring about a certain aura of people wanting to join the cool kids table. it can have the opposite effect but i don't predict that to be the case. like i said to max, we'll also raise this amongst staff and try to find a way to make people aware of our exclusive comedy club. we should really revisit this to see if traffic drops in say, 1,2,3 months time and then make an assessment on whether or not we need to seriously start considering finding ways to boost traffic.

stayfaded, the lounge doesn't bring much traffic to the site. it could have easily been scrapped along time ago and i don't think it would have made much of a difference. everyone is trying to find a solution on staff. if you take a sample from staff and compare it to a sample of overall bluelight members vs a sample of human beings irl you'd find that opinions differ in all cases. some will be strongly for, some will be strongly against, some will think this, some will think that. one thing that isn't happening, is getting rid of the lounge or neglecting it and letting it die a slow death. whether you believe that or not is up to you.

Do you know the people the lounge does attract? Hard workers, with their shit together who like doing drugs. These may be the minority in a sea of useless junkies who wish they hadn't fucked up their lives, but I would take a single WAAO, chicken scratch, alasdair, lysis or papa over 100 addicts who can no longer find a vein.

Like it or not there are more positive role models in the Lounge that perhaps the rest of Bluelight put together

Good point nightwatch, and others - especially about benefiting current loungers, but potentially harming a future lounge - unless there is an agenda to minimize the lounge until it becomes exhausted. doubt it tho.
Then again, it might become more fascinating as it's a hidden group now (sub forum), and could potentially expand.
I don't have an attachment either way, I'm just interested as I used to facilitate groups.. hence the Johari Window I posted earlier about having consistent entering and exiting happening in group sub-forums to survive, which is demonstrated in communities in real life for social integration and growth.

4 questions comes to mind for maintenance moving forward. 1) what's best for the individual? 2) for the staff? 3) for the subforum? 4) for the site (BL)?

There will never be a perfect balance, but it is helpful to try changes at times. If change doesn't work … there is always option to go back to previous open format

Last edited:
I'm not going to huff and puff about it to be honest. If you dont want the things I have to say to be associated with the website than I just wont say anything. Im not trying to use this as leverage or anything because the staff will just invariably respond with indifference so that is pretty much where it stands. Im not going to be shunned to some hidden speakeasy, ill just leave. I've cut ties with people over less

it is pretty obv that having TL public would increase traffic and=more bl members
increase information for harm reduction? i think would result in that. It's a very tough field to begin with, and we are only using our PCs

source; i maybe would have not joined bl without lurking TL. I found TL interesting, because there is something of everything in there. Plus there is actually HR in TL, i don't want to get into detail in this thread, and there was HR for me anyway.

that list is pretty old
online Wikipedia can be very unreliable and is not even considered a source for real uni projects

We all know The Lounge is now a place for VIP's. You better be popular or have connections with a few of the moderators.

I know I'm not going to make the cut, and I've never sent a request. After all, it would be a waste of time.

What about the rejects! Shouldn't we have a place of our own?

Right now, I proposing the idea of a new forum for us who didn't make the cut!

Well here is at least one member who doesn't think a secret club is cool

crikey - sounds like the softcocks have taken over. I came for the forums and stayed for the Lounge - adds a lighter touch to the usual druggy depression shit. Have sent a request thru - but given I am a avid lurker (maybe 4 posts in 6 months?) rather than an avid poster - will be interested to see what the criteria these gatekeepers will apply to access ...

Fucking <snip>. Just kill me. I fuckin hate this <snip>shit. Fuckin <snip> i cannot carrot.

crikey - sounds like the softcocks have taken over. I came for the forums and stayed for the Lounge - adds a lighter touch to the usual druggy depression shit. Have sent a request thru - but given I am a avid lurker (maybe 4 posts in 6 months?) rather than an avid poster - will be interested to see what the criteria these gatekeepers will apply to access ...

you won't have problems. the opt in or subscription is mostly a viewer discretion is advised type of thing. that if you opt in, you have therefore agreed to participate in the lounge and view its contents.

read here for more information. of course, since this is a beta, as it goes along the quirks will be ironed out through trial and error. it takes time to get things working as best as possible but the only way to find a solution is to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.