• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Kratom Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kratom story: Using kratom and ayahuasca to help get off methadone: (any advice would be appreciated)

Containing lots of questions about methadone and kratom. Sorry if some of my questions have already been addressed somewhere earlier in this thread, the thread's is getting super-long and it's hard to read through the whole thing. I did try to scan through most of it though.

I have recently started taking kratom to help with methadone withdrawal symptoms, as I'd read that it was effective for helping with opiate WDs. I can't really tell whether it's doing anything. I certainly don't feel an opiate-like high from it or anything like that. I have been trying to taper my methadone dose with the (frightening) goal of getting off it completely someday.

Some back-story: I haven't used heroin or other opiates for years now and the only time I crave it is when I am going through severe withdrawal symptoms. I have been on methadone for about 10 years. I initially started on a dose of 100mg/day of methadone, still using heroin on top of that, and eventually stabilized and was able to get down to 60mg/day, where my progress stalled for a long time. Eventually I quit using dope, then got down to 50mg a day. I take my methadone twice a day, at that point it was 25mg each time, as I am one of those unlucky "quick metabolizers" for whom withdrawal comes on much faster than it does for some people. The longer I was on methadone and the lower my dose the less time it was able to keep me un-sick. At 25mg I would feel a tiny bit sick all the time, but the methadone would last for about 10hrs before I really started noticing moderate withdrawals. I stayed there for a long time, then recently dropped down to 18mg 2x/day (36mg/day). I then spent a couple days using ayahuasca, which I'd heard was very helpful with opiate addictions, and only took about 10mg of methadone 2x/day (20mg/day), but after that I went back up to 12mg 2x/day (24mg/day), which is where I've been for about a week now. I feel mild withdrawals almost all the time and moderate withdrawals usually begin maybe about 8 hrs after taking my methadone. By "mild" WDs, I mean depression, lack of energy, difficulty sleeping, chills, sweating, aches and pains, etc. And by "moderate WDs" I mean nausea, diarrhea, runny nose, worse aches and pains, especially pain that feels like it's coming from my bones, nightmares, worse sweating, worse chills, creepy skin sensations, worse depression, slight anxiety, some mild heart pains or erratic heartbeat, difficulty eating much. That may sound bad, but it's still to the milder side of WDs for me: I still have been able to stave off what I would call "severe" WDs, which for me include all the above to a much greater degree, plus unbearable heart pain/altered heartbeat, horrible choking, coughing/difficulty breathing, severe RLS, unbearable skin sensations, extreme depression and suicidal feelings, severe pain, total inability to sleep, high jittery anxiety, and inability to do pretty much anything other than lie there wanting to die.

It is amazing to me that I've been able to get my methadone dose down this low and that I am able to handle feeling any WDs without running out and using dope, this is a huge accomplishment for me. However, I feel sad and so unmotivated to do anything other than watch movies or surf the internet to distract me from how I'm feeling, so I'm not sure how much longer of this I can handle. It's so frustrating and is tempting to just raise my methadone dose back up. Should the methadone theoretically stabilize at some point where I will stop experiencing as many WD symptoms at my current dose? If so, when? in 3 weeks or something? Should I consider taking it 3 times a day instead of 2? (I'm worried that in order to do that comfortably I'd have to raise my dose again).

So, I've been taking kratom several times throughout the day but I can't really tell whether it's doing anything. I've been taking about 5g or more at a time using the "wash and toss" method (taking a sip of juice, pouring the powder into my mouth, swallowing, taking another sip of juice). I am too lazy to make a tea as it sounds like the main reason people make a tea out of it is to improve the taste and texture, neither of which really bother me. Is it going to affect me more if I make a tea out of it? Should I be taking a lot more kratom? Is it possible I just have really shitty quality kratom?

I suppose I could do a test by not taking my methadone, waiting until I have noticeable moderate to severe WDs and then taking the kratom and seeing if I feel any better, but that doesn't sound like a fun experiment to me. My plan was to keep lowering my methadone dose gradually while alleviating WD symptoms with the kratom, but if the kratom isn't helping at all I may need a new plan.

I have found the best mixer for kratom. Very Berry Cherry Koolaid. Mix up to 7 grams of powder in 1 cup of the koolaid. Can't taste the kratom at all. Very nice.

I have found the best mixer for kratom. Very Berry Cherry Koolaid. Mix up to 7 grams of powder in 1 cup of the koolaid. Can't taste the kratom at all. Very nice
7 grams is a lot though, isnt it??

Are you that tolerant to kratom that you dont feel the regular 3 grams anymore??

Just parachute kratom! I have read so many things about how disgusting it is or people that cant seem to figure out how to dose kratom. The simple solution is wrap it in toliet paper and then swallow. I have never tasted kratom in my life.

7 grams is a lot though, isnt it??

Are you that tolerant to kratom that you dont feel the regular 3 grams anymore??

I've been taking powdered kratom leaf for a little over a month. 3 grams had me feelin great for the first couple weeks. My tolerance has increased significantly. Now I take 7-10 grams for a buzz and I don't really get that "opiate rush" that I used to get. Still like it...would probably cut my intake but I'm worried about the withdrawal. I'd like to wean but haven't seen a good schedule for that.

You can take about 250 mg phenibut + 250 mg GABA every couple of hrs or so for first 3 days of WD from kratom. Then you can stop the phenibut and use GABA to WD from phenibut for next 3 to 4 days or so.

If you do it properly you should be able to WD from everything relatively pain-free and go to work as usual
hey just an update. i got the maeng de thai capsules and didnt help me much,had to use tramadol with it. i took your advice and my shipment of 200grams of bali will be in tomorrow along with the phenibut and gaba. hoping it will allwork out. i will keep you posted. thanks so much for your help!

Just parachute kratom! I have read so many things about how disgusting it is or people that cant seem to figure out how to dose kratom. The simple solution is wrap it in toliet paper and then swallow. I have never tasted kratom in my life.

Besides capsules this is the next best thing, unless you take ALOT of kratom where ud have to swallow ALOT of tp. Manual capping machines are cheap tho, and I've heard the hype about how capsules don't allow for full absorption or take away from the potency somehow and that's utter b.s. Tbh I prefer capsules to any other method, I've never not felt kratom b.c I had used capsules

I've been taking powdered kratom leaf for a little over a month. 3 grams had me feelin great for the first couple weeks. My tolerance has increased significantly. Now I take 7-10 grams for a buzz and I don't really get that "opiate rush" that I used to get. Still like it...would probably cut my intake but I'm worried about the withdrawal. I'd like to wean but haven't seen a good schedule for that.

lots of people take kratom for years. Just make sure to rotate strains so your tolerance doesn't develop to each.

hey just an update. i got the maeng de thai capsules and didnt help me much,had to use tramadol with it. i took your advice and my shipment of 200grams of bali will be in tomorrow along with the phenibut and gaba. hoping it will allwork out. i will keep you posted. thanks so much for your help!
Let us know how you make out :)

I'm out of Bali and I was very satisfied with it, my first loose leaf purchase. What strain should I get next?

I'm out of Bali and I was very satisfied with it, my first loose leaf purchase. What strain should I get next?
Strains I use to prevent tolerance:

Bali
Indo
Maeng Da
Malaysian

Indo I like the best. Especially when boozing

lots of people take kratom for years. Just make sure to rotate strains so your tolerance doesn't develop to each.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't still get an all-over tolerance and physical dependence. That's like saying an opiate user could continuously use opiates for several years but if they switch back and forth between morphine, heroin, etc they won't get a tolerance (which of course isn't true).

Let us know how you make out :)
hey, yesterday was my first whole day of nothing except kratom.Definitly made withdrawls easier, but they were still there. i found that after 2 hours of dosing i needed to dose again. i think i must of taken way to much cause when i finally did go to sleep, i kept waking up with the worst headache of my life. but on that same note, 4 regular strength tylenol took the headache away, which seems amazing to me because tylenol never used to work at all for my pain.
today is day 2 of only kratom, i am going to try and wait at least 3 hours inbetween dosing today and not go over 3g a dose.
my goal is for tomorrow to be my last day of kratom. then if need to will start phenibut and gaba. im really hoping soon this will all be over and can be back to my old self.{not dependent on any substance} will keep you posted and greatly appreciate any more advice if there is any to get through this hell. thanks alot

hey, yesterday was my first whole day of nothing except kratom.Definitly made withdrawls easier, but they were still there. i found that after 2 hours of dosing i needed to dose again. i think i must of taken way to much cause when i finally did go to sleep, i kept waking up with the worst headache of my life. but on that same note, 4 regular strength tylenol took the headache away, which seems amazing to me because tylenol never used to work at all for my pain.
today is day 2 of only kratom, i am going to try and wait at least 3 hours inbetween dosing today and not go over 3g a dose.
my goal is for tomorrow to be my last day of kratom. then if need to will start phenibut and gaba. im really hoping soon this will all be over and can be back to my old self.{not dependent on any substance} will keep you posted and greatly appreciate any more advice if there is any to get through this hell. thanks alot

hey congrats! a rule of thumb i usually stick by is to not dose earlier than every 4 hours, otherwise ill probly get dizzy and the headaches come on. if you get yourself some quality kratom youll probably feel it longer, altho probly the fact that your getting off opiates is why you feel like shit so soon

when i stopped opiates i started at 7g of bali 3x/day. extracts are another option, but ive heard stories of it raising tolerance and building some sort of physical dependence. either way stick with it, its a much better option imo

You can take 3 grams of kratom every 2 hours, that wont cause any overdose problems. Also add loperamide to all this, take 4mg of that every 2-3 hours. The loperamide will help as well.

Good luck. It sounds like you're on the road to recovery :)

Yep, sounds like you took too much needhelpshakin. Taking too much kratom will leave you feeling pretty crappy, ingesting all that raw plant matter can do a number on you. I have found that making tea instead of eating the leaf raw can cut out a lot of the undesirable side effects that come with using Kratom in higher dosages.

Here is my recipe:

• Tea is simple to make and delicious. Use "fill your own" teabags, fill them with 1-2 tsp of powdered leaf per bag and close them. Bring 2 cups of water (with a little bit of lemon juice, not much but enough to cloud the water) to a light simmer and place the bags in the water. Brew for 20 minutes on low heat. Remove the teabags, cool the tea down a bit,sweeten to taste with honey and sugar and drink it.

As Fresco mentioned, Loperamide will help you a lot. You probably shouldn't take 4mg every 2 or 3 hours though. One 8mg dose at the beginning (or end) of the day would do you much better...you'll want to avoid re-dosing as much as possible both with Loperamide and Kratom. Loperamide takes a few hours to really start to be effective once you've taken it, and has a pretty long half-life so one dose should hold you for awhile. You'll want to make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well.

Last edited:
Strains I use to prevent tolerance:

Bali
Indo
Maeng Da
Malaysian

Indo I like the best. Especially when boozing

Can you talk about some of the differences? I'm currently waiting on some malaysian. Are maeng da and ultra enhanced indo worth the extra dough?

Also I want to say that my kratom tea in a crockpot experiment was HIGHLY successful. Kept it on low for 12 hours (with a splash of lemon juice), producing a very aromatic, dark, dark, dark muddy and murky liquid. Probably the only way I will prepare the tea from now on unless I am pressed for time.

Can you talk about some of the differences? I'm currently waiting on some malaysian. Are maeng da and ultra enhanced indo worth the extra dough?

I find malaysian more stimulating than say Bali or Indo. Maeng Da is good, but not worth the price hike. UEI is pleasantly powerful, but it is not cost effective whatsoever (and not really worth the extra cash.)

Seattle_Stranger said it best I think in one of his posts: "Maeng Da costs twice as much as Bali, but it certainly isn't twice as good."

Status
Not open for further replies.