• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

The "Kava-Kava" MEGA THREAD!

How the fuck do you guys drink this shit? Can I boil it down to a shot?

I'm using a reputable brand "Bula Kava House", and just pressing/squeezing this stuff in a strainer bag in a bowl full of water. But there is so much nasty liquid to drink in order to get a decent buzz, I couldn't try it again.

How do you guys make this stuff palatable? Or can I boil it down to a shot? The high is worth if it if I could just get it down more pleasantly.

How the fuck do you guys drink this shit? Can I boil it down to a shot?

I'm using a reputable brand "Bula Kava House", and just pressing/squeezing this stuff in a strainer bag in a bowl full of water. But there is so much nasty liquid to drink in order to get a decent buzz, I couldn't try it again.

How do you guys make this stuff palatable? Or can I boil it down to a shot? The high is worth if it if I could just get it down more pleasantly.
Get roots, way stronger. If you're gonna use powdered kava, mix it into a milkshake, preferably with reeses peanutbutter icecream. Make sure to consume quickly as it gets bitter if it sits for awhile. It tastes good fresh though, like honestly addictive. The roots don't taste as bad for some reason, and you just stick them in your mouth and start chewing. It's a bit awkward at first but after awhile you get used to it, like chewing tobacco I guess and you associate the numbing taste with a deep subtle euphoria, relaxation, and stimulation. Kava has natural phenethylamines as well as kavalactones and flavanoids and probably other things in it too... it feels good to me.

Extract is decent but doesn't have the same feeling, it is stronger feeling in other areas... more anxiety relief and less buzz or relaxation.

Optimuswind, your kava is obviously degraded. Does it numb your mouth a lot when you drink it? Associate the numb with the high, and you should feel it fast also. Within 2-3 minutes of first sip, a tiny bit slower than alcohol. It's nothing you have to chug and make yourself sick trying tog et enough unless your shit is weak. It's really easy to find decent quality kava just google it there's a nice website with kava, kratom, and all other kinds of natural botanicals and they've been around for a long time. Should be very easy to find them with google.

Electrodevo, with gaba insensitivity you would still feel the effects of some parts of the kava buzz, it obviously works on something other than gaba (as well as gaba obviously) to produce it's stimulating yet relaxing buzz. I know that kavalactones aren't the only types of chemicals present in kava (and I bet different varieties have different proportions and chemicals entirely) but I think (not sure) that kavalactones themselves are a bit of a receptor whore.

Works on GABA and is a weak MAOI, as far as I've been able to ascertain. I haven't read anything that says anything else.

FYI you really, really want the root, not the rest; the roots don't cause liver damage, but the rest of the plant does, and, I believe, certain strains, but not the type that is usually sold. I know there was something in ADD about this...

I find it interesting that so many novice users of kava consistently report being disappointed with their initial experience. MAKE SURE YOU TRY IT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. I have also noticed a reverse tolerance with kava, but when it finally works, you WILL notice it, it will not be as subtle as some herbal tea but will instead make you tired, slightly dizzy, and probably nauseous if you've had enough. I enjoyed it for a brief period while looking for an alternative to alcohol, but without fail became nauseous & vomited once, and quit for good after that. I noticed that while surfing kava forums there's only a handful of people (mostly recovering alcoholics) who made kava their DOC & use it daily, a very narrow but deep fan base. Wish you all the best of luck with it!

Just wanted to add an update, new research shows that moulds such as alfatoxin forming during improper drying of the roots may be responsible for liver damage: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3269575/

Last edited:
Yeah, I got numbing of the tongue each time I drank the stuff. It wasn't very strong numbing and didn't last very long. I took it a few more times since, using about 6-8 large tablespoons of it, and straining it through an old t-shirt in a bowl for about 15 minutes. Surprisingly the last time I did that, I didn't feel anything but the tongue numbing, wheras the first time I took it, I definitely had a feeling of calmness after taking much less. Each time was on an empty stomach.

It also gives me poor shits the day after. Is consuming the powder, even after straining, supposed to be done? I don't think it is, but the times when I did that I seemed to get the most calming effects, but I think doing that increases the next-day shits - is that also an increased risk of liver damage (if the roots weren't properly dried, that is - since none of us really have any way to be sure of that unless we did it ourselves) - or, does it not matter because the stuff causing the liver damage would be strained out too?

I started using kava again, even though I had bad experiences with the Hawaiian powdered kava I bought last spring. Back then I drink the powder & felt nausea after each use, and one Sunday I had too much, vomited, and said "That's Enough" selling the rest of the 1 lb. I bought.
This time I purchased Vanuatu crushed kava root purchased from a local health foods store. My prep. was as follows: Funnel 2-4 Tbs crushed root into a nylon stocking, knot it up & soak in 16 oz cold water, add either 1/4 tsp. soy lecithin or 1/2 cup soy milk, let set for at least 20 mins. to soften the root. Then I knead the nylon encased root for 5-10 minutes, then it's ready to drink (or you can let in soak for a few hrs). It went down pretty good, still so grit at the bottom of the glass so I discarded that (it made me gag). I always drink it on an empty stomach. The first night I felt something decent in 10 minutes, which faded by a 1/2 hr. I used kava for 8 days to be sure any reverse tolerance was taken care of.
Positives: Some short-lived, not reliable in effects light-headed euphoria, relaxed muscles, and a better mood. I was not as easily angered or stressed, but I certainly wouldn't call it being "high". Negatives: Inner-ear balance issues which were annoying, didn't taste bad but not good either,inconsistent effects (after the first nights better than expected results, those effects were not experienced again), even with 4-5 Tablespoons, it became a chore to prepare it each night as I didn't want to lose the reverse-tolerance (which didn't seem to be the case
I mentioned the aflatoxin contamination in improperly dried root above, I'd imagine that was only a problem with shady fly-by-night companies that got into the flood of kava products in the early 2000's. Any of the main farms you can order from should be fine as they have a reputation to protect. anyway as it turned out). I'm also hesitant about combining it with alcohol, & sometimes I'd rather have beer or cocktails. I've never had luck with any kava pills or paste, one item I bought once suggested using a pea-sized amt of paste, I had 4-5 times that amount & never felt anything.

I've found the best way to get around the taste of a powderred kava is to make it as a coffee brew.

Just brew your favorite ground (or whatever type) of coffee in your coffee machine, put the normal coffee in the fridge for a few minutes to get it down to about 100 degrees farenheight (gotta save those kavalactones), put about 16 oz of the coffee into your blender with about 2.5 tbsp of powderred kava and 1.5 tsp of Soy Lecithin, blend for ten minutes, strain it out with a muslin bag and drink over the course of an hour or two. You can put in some honey or sugar if you want too.

Always helps me relax, talk, and concentrate on my schoolwork. And the best part is, you can just put it in a thermos and nomatter where you are, nobody will ever know it isn't just normal coffee. I drink mine in school every single day and haven't gotten in trouble yet.

And a coffee brew is totally different effects-wise from any other concoction in my experience. I think the caffeine potentiates the effects because i think it's stronger.

Kava Kava is the best.
Mix with milk ina blender, strain threw shirt 3 times and BAM its done.
READY TO GET MAH KRUNK ON GUISE!

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some.

I've tried tinctures and pills before and all they ever did was make me tired or give me the mildest relaxation feeling which I wished was stronger.

However, it seems a few people on here really like it.

For some of those who really enjoy it, what do you like most about it and why would you recommend it to others?

Is it really a legit "high" or do you have to get to the point (like one poster said) to where you are falling over and can't walk before it's effective?

Also, I take Klonopin and Prozac so would want to be sure it doesn't mix badly with either, but considering I've already used weak Kava with them I'd guess it doesn't even though some have said Kava has slight MAOI properties.

Also, I don't know if I would feel less since I have a high tolerance to benzos.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some.

I've tried tinctures and pills before and all they ever did was make me tired or give me the mildest relaxation feeling which I wished was stronger.

However, it seems a few people on here really like it.

For some of those who really enjoy it, what do you like most about it and why would you recommend it to others?

Is it really a legit "high" or do you have to get to the point (like one poster said) to where you are falling over and can't walk before it's effective?

Also, I take Klonopin and Prozac so would want to be sure it doesn't mix badly with either, but considering I've already used weak Kava with them I'd guess it doesn't even though some have said Kava has slight MAOI properties.

Also, I don't know if I would feel less since I have a high tolerance to benzos.

I bought some quality ISA Kava root powder, a 1lb bag, I'm down to about less than 1/4.

The most I ever felt from it was a numbed tongue/throat, and a sense of calmness/relaxation - it definitely wasn't like being drunk and stumbling around, I just felt slightly calm. I, too, have a high benzo tolerance, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I once tried two bottles with about 12 heaping tablespoons of the powder kneaded into the water, drank it all - hardly felt anything. Only ever really felt the 'calm' the first time. Each time it numbed my tongue and throat for about 10 minutes, so I know I was actually getting the stuff in me, and I kneaded the powder in an old tshirt for about 20 minutes each time to make sure I got it all out. I wouldn't bother with it.

I just got an ounce of powdered Kava which I think is WAKA grade (whatever that means, quality I guess...) and the bag says to "take 1/16th a teaspoon (250mg) 1-3 times daily".

I don't know why that dosage was suggested, but it seemed small so I mixed a tea spoon in some milk and strirred it up and drank it over and hour ago and absolutely nothing has happened.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the correct dosage for this stuff??

Personally I don't believe Kava works unless mixed with something else strong.

When on Oxy I used some droppers of Kava from the health food store and noticed some mild effects but doubt it would have worked on it's own.

I don't know if I even feeling like trying more tonight but this seems like the kind stuff where I'd have to consume MASSIVE amounts to feel ANYTHING at all.

Anyone know how the hell to get any REAL effects out of Kava??

Hell, even a mild but noticeable buzz would be nice...

You need alot to make it work like a 1/2 a cup FULL of root powder. So maybe 6 or more tablepoons. Ye it does have an effect but Im sitll figuring out if its cost effective cos you need so much. I only bought from random ebay dealers so potentcy couldnt be assured so im still waiting to find that out myself tho im not that hopeful. Got some order myself form a supposed more reputable source.

The effect wastnt too bad but the duration was the worst part...only lasting about 15 mins for main effects and tapering off to nothing after another 20 mins or so :(. Ive tried it a few times now and same shit however like i say each time it was not from a reliable source so we'll see how this next try goes.

I just got an ounce of powdered Kava which I think is WAKA grade (whatever that means, quality I guess...) and the bag says to "take 1/16th a teaspoon (250mg) 1-3 times daily".

I don't know why that dosage was suggested, but it seemed small so I mixed a tea spoon in some milk and strirred it up and drank it over and hour ago and absolutely nothing has happened.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the correct dosage for this stuff??

Personally I don't believe Kava works unless mixed with something else strong.

When on Oxy I used some droppers of Kava from the health food store and noticed some mild effects but doubt it would have worked on it's own.

I don't know if I even feeling like trying more tonight but this seems like the kind stuff where I'd have to consume MASSIVE amounts to feel ANYTHING at all.

Anyone know how the hell to get any REAL effects out of Kava??

Hell, even a mild but noticeable buzz would be nice...

KAVA is strange, it definitely makes me more sluggish and tired. Although if I take too much right before going to sleep I never really sleep, I get these intense closed eye dreams and time passes so slowly. Almost speedy feeling yet when I open my eyes and walk around I'm tired as shit. Eventually it puts me to sleep.

I haven't ever tried making the drinks but supposedly you get more out of it when you mix it with milk, etc.

I preferred the paste than the ground up root since kava powder seems to clump up easily and can make you feel really bloated. Although, I have eaten a lot of powder before and got a really drunk feeling, yet not too much euphoria.

IMO kava is alright, it's awesome if you're in some sort of Withdrawal, it really took the edge off of my phenibut withdrawal before I got some gabapentin.

Oh and they say kava is reverse tolerance, so you might not feel anything your first couple tries. Keep trying before you give up on kava.

Yeah, someone else on here told me they use 50 grams, and I only bought an ounce, so I'm wondering if I should just pour the entire bag into a cup of milk and down the whole thing?

No one can really seem to agree on dosage because there seems to be so many different strengths and types of powders, etc.

50 grams? Fuck. I eat kratom all day so I'm used to eating powder fine. But with kava root powder, atleast the kind I have, the shit feels like it clumps up in your stomach. I can't eat too much pure powder without my stomach feeling uncomfortable.

I don't really take kava too much and haven't found my "sweet spot" but 50 grams would be way way too much unless mixed. Take like 5 grams and see how you feel. Like I said, a lot of people including myself report not feeling anything the first couple of tries. It's supposedly a reverse tolerance drug which I have no idea how that works but go with it. There's tons of videos on how to make it into a drink, I'll have to try those sometime since they seem to drink a lot. Maybe I haven't had a true kava experience either.

The best time I had with kava was in phenibut withdrawal, and I was trying to ride it out. I stuck a whole clump of kava in my bottom lip like you would dipping tobacco, and just left it there for awhile. It seemed to work well although it gets stuck on your teeth easily. I think the islanders that use kava spit of the roots when they harvest them, something about saliva brings it out more maybe?

This vid might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlGHwP5C0A

Last edited:
Are the kavalactone pastes/powders worthwhile? Or is fresh root the best option?

^ I've never had any luck with the very expensive 84% paste or capsules sold at drugstores. Dried root (powder) is the most commonly used form outside of the south pacific, and the most economical. You can order fresh root frozen but it's expensive & not worth it IMO, though I have yet to try it as dried root satisfies me. I like the variety Nabawan from Vanuatu as it has lower DHM content & hence reduces any nausea you may experience with Tudei or others. 1/2 cup in a nylon, soaked for half an hr. then kneaded 5 mins. in 2 cups coconut milk gives a great effect, similar to alcohol but without all the negative side effects.

^ I've never had any luck with the very expensive 84% paste or capsules sold at drugstores. Dried root (powder) is the most commonly used form outside of the south pacific, and the most economical. You can order fresh root frozen but it's expensive & not worth it IMO, though I have yet to try it as dried root satisfies me. I like the variety Nabawan from Vanuatu as it has lower DHM content & hence reduces any nausea you may experience with Tudei or others. 1/2 cup in a nylon, soaked for half an hr. then kneaded 5 mins. in 2 cups coconut milk gives a great effect, similar to alcohol but without all the negative side effects.

Thanks for the answer!

Is there an interaction between SSRIs and kava? I searched but it's tough to find stuff on my phone and I'm seeing different answers.