Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Indigenous Australian thread

lostpunk5545

Bluelighter
Ok the last thread on this topic was closed and seeing as it denigrated into nothing of worth rather than ask for it to be reopened I thought I would start a new thread.

I would like to ask from the start that people avoid using racial slanders of any kind, after all it's the twenty-first century. I would also like to share this pseudo-essay (it's rather informal) that I got caught up in writing when I was going to post about a book I've read recently (which has had a profound effect on my thoughts on this country), in the reading thread. It's only the first half and I plan to relate the past into the plight of the present Aboriginal population and their societal problems.

But as always please feel free to discourse on anything relating to Indigenous Australians and issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Elder's Blood On The Wattle: Massacres and Maltreatment of the Aboriginal Australians Since 1788 puts together a history of as many massacres of Aboriginal people as he was able to find out about through letters, records and stories passed on by the Aboriginals in their oral tradition. It’s not inclusive because a culture of silence means that many massacres were never reported in any sense, and if no Aboriginals survived there was no oral account passed down.

To tell the truth I had never actually really thought about how the Aboriginal people ended up in their current situation. Not really thought about the details. The only word that can adequately describe what the settlers of our country did to them is genocide. When Cook first landed here there were and estimated 300 000 – 600 000 Aboriginals living in Australia. According to a census in 1911 there were 20 000. The only way Hitler could have done a more effective job of eliminating the Jewish people is to have invaded Israel itself and systematically plundered the country exterminating the Jewish people along the way, which is exactly what we did here (I’m well aware that when Hitler was alive there was no state of Israel, I’m just analogising here).

To start with tens of thousands of Aboriginals were killed by diseases brought by the settlers of Australia, mainly influenza and small pox. It was not uncommon for settlers to come across caves full of corpses and skeletons of Aboriginal victims of these diseases in the first few years of settlement. But the unwilling destruction of the Aboriginal people through diseases brought from Europe is in no way the disturbing part of the story.

Prior to Europeans arriving in Australia the Aboriginal people lived all over Australia. Their lives were structured around the seasons moving with the food, using both the native flora and fauna. There were many tribes and sub-tribes, and a corresponding amount of dialects, although in an area the languages were common enough for neighbouring tribes to speak with their immediate and extended neighbours.

The Aboriginal people were generally peaceful. But they occasionally had fights with each other, and small battles based on transgressions of honour which was important to them. Their life was fairly vibrant, with tribes that shared resources, such as pine nuts from trees in an area having annual events to catch up and eat. Songs, dancing, yarning, all that shit. As they moved with the food sources during the seasons they lived harmoniously with the land allowing resources to recover before they used them again. This is a balance that was developed over the 60 000 years or more they have been present in this country.

I’m not going to rave about lessons we could learn from them about sustainability because quite frankly, from any scientific view point it’s too late. We’ve fucked this country with inappropriate agriculture and pollution, and we’re reaping our reward with water shortages. We won’t recover.

But back to the point, not long after the colony was established tracts of land were given out to settlers (ex-convicts, people who had come here to colonise etc.). Of course in the European way land was cleared to grow crops, and cattle were left to graze on native plants. In no time at all the delicate balance the Aboriginal people had maintained with nature for at least the last 40 000 years was destroyed.

In an area that was being moved to by settlers there was almost a formula that was played out time and time again. As the settlers first started moving into an area relations with the Aboriginal people were amicable. But once settlers started pouring in the land was destroyed and the indigenous people had no food. So eventually they would have no choice but to spear or take cattle and sheep. They saw the animals as theirs in a lot of cases as the animals were on their land. Obviously they had little to no concept of European laws of ownership.

So eventually European land owners would become sick of their cattle being stolen and decide the Aboriginals needed to be taught a lesson which usually involved shooting a few Aboriginal people. Which would provoke a retaliation from the Aboriginals and a shepherd or squatter would be speared. Seems pretty much tit for tat in my humble opinion. The Aboriginal people were pushed into a corner and had no choice but to fight for their survival, or starve to death.

I’d like to say that this was the usual chain of events. But it was just as common for the provocation of Aboriginal violence to be the (repeated) raping of an Aboriginal woman by a squatter or shepherd. Or the use of a couple of Aboriginal children as target practice. Also a common cause of violence was a white man entering into an agreement with an Aboriginal woman with some sort of payment for sex. In the most part they were not paid and this could cause violence against the white in question. Remember I said that the Aboriginal people had a high sense of honour, a deal’s a deal.

So as soon as a white was killed the local settlers would get up in arms and a posse of generally between three and fifteen would be formed and punitive action would be taken against the Aboriginals. It was always stated by these posses that the intention was to capture the specific perpetrators of a crime, but this almost never happened. These men were not what we think of as civilised men. The Australian continent was tough and so were the most of the men interested in colonising it. The majority (I’d love to say it was the exception) of these men would think nothing of shooting Aboriginal people for fun, or raping native women or girls that strayed unknowingly near them.

So anyways a posse would ride out and sometimes for days murder any Aboriginal they came across. They would surround entire tribes (sometimes when they were relaxing in a swimming hole, or collecting food) and open fire (though just as commonly hack them up with swords, bayonets and axes). Women and children were shot just as indiscriminately as men. Women were captured and raped repeatedly. Babies heads were smashed upon trees or they were simply thrown onto fires alive. Numbers for these massacre could number between a few or more commonly between 20 to 60 Aboriginals killed.

These massacres however were not always just in retaliation to the killings of whites. Sometimes just for spearing cattle or sheep.

So after these massacres occurred the Aboriginal people were truly backed against the wall. It was fight or die. So for a period there would be guerilla-like skirmishes. Sometimes the goal was just to slaughter as many cattle or sheep as possible, other times shepherds and squatters were killed. In any case the Aboriginal casualties of these frontier wars were always ten fold the European. Eventually the local Aboriginal population would be beaten to defeat. Either the whole tribe became extinct or they were employed as slave labor on properties for food and tobacco. Or they ended up in a town. This is when alcoholism first became an issue for indigenous Australians. When you’ve got nothing left, you drink. The same thing a person who loses a job or spouse does. When you’re at the bottom, it’s hard to look up.

Having read this book I was interested to research what had happened to the local Aboriginal people in my area, as the book obviously covers the whole of Australia it’s not possible to cover every area in detail. So with a bit of browsing I found out what happened to the Darkinjung people, the traditional owners of my home, the Central Coast.

Although the exact position of tribal boundaries before European invasion is not clear, most of the Central Coast was the country of the Darkinjung tribe. Their neighbours were: the Guringai people, whose country included the shores of Broken Bay and extended south to Sydney Harbour; the Awabakal tribe, who lived around Lake Macquarie in the north; and the Darkinung tribe to the west, whose territory stretched behind the Judge Dowling Range, from near the upper Hawkesbury River in the south, and north to the Wollombi Valley in the north (Needham 1981: 4).

The Darkinjung lived by fishing, gathering bush foods and hunting. The region was part of an extensive trade network. and large ceremonies were held at times of the year when fish were plentiful. Ourimbah, in the middle of the Central Coast region, was a ceremonial ground in which boys were initiated. (Vinnicombe 1980).

The European invasion of Australia started at Sydney in 1788. Its effects were soon felt in Darkinjung country. Smallpox, measles and other exotic diseases quickly reduced the population (Stinson 1979: 11). Before the invasion there may have 1,500 Kooris in 12 family groups living between Hawkesbury River and Lake Macquarie. A census of the Aboriginal population of the region in 1827 census estimated a total of 65 persons, in five family groups. It has been reported that the last Darkinjung person died in 1874.

Source

In short they are extinct.

Scenarios such as those mentioned above were played out over and over again as Europeans settled new areas of Australia. From Victoria to Queensland to South Australia as we spread out from Sydney. The Aboriginals of Tasmania were treated particularly viciously. Some massacres occurred in Western Australia and the Northern Territory as late as 1928. Whilst the offenders were prosecuted they were all acquitted. My Uncle (who lives in the NT) told me that there was apparently a massacre of Aboriginals as late as the 1960s there, with a bunch of Aboriginals rounded up into a cave and shot down. Western Australia and the Northern Territory were the last areas of Australia to be colonised and civilised.

But massacres of Aboriginal people by these means only were not to be the only way of eliminating them. We got more ingenious as time went on. Soon on a regular basis they were being poisoned en masse by giving them gifts of damper laced with strychnine or arsenic. In one case a particularly sadistic settler employed a tribe of Aboriginals to work for him for a few days and payed them in poisoned damper. Man sized traps similar to those used for bears were used on properties. They were impossible to open so all the property owner had to do was walk around in the morning and murder the Aboriginals who had been caught overnight. It all sounds a bit different from Banjo Patterson’s poems doesn’t it?

Technically Aboriginals were British subjects under the law. It was illegal for them to be murdered, they technically had the same rights as white Australians. But as they were not Christian they could not swear on the bible and this contradiction meant that they could not represent themselves in court. In fact the only case of whites ever being successfully prosecuted for crimes against the indigenous people occurred because a massacre by a posse occurred on a settler’s property. This man was sympathetic to and respectful of the local Aboriginal people, whom he allowed to live on his land. Although in this one case of justice, 7 of the 11 of the posse were hung, instead of preventing further crime against the Aboriginal people it simply drove the massacres underground. Men formed bonds of silence along with their posses.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I’ve been writing for a fair while now so I’m going to wrap up what I have to say there and finish my thoughts into a second installment at a later time or date. Note that I am paraphrasing a book that is some 300 pages in length so I’m not really using specific dates or instances of which the book is full. I recommend that everyone should read this book. If our schools won’t teach us the the truth of our dark history, and only offer up a sanitised version of events, then we have to do it ourselves. The stuff I’ve been talking about above is the real truth that Howard is so afraid to admit to and apologise for.

Last edited:
lostpunk5545 said:
I would like to ask from the start that people avoid using racial slanders of any kind

well, there's me out of the thread except for this

So anyways a posse would ride out and sometimes for days murder any Aboriginal they came across.

You started a paragraph with 'so anyways'?

I'm ok with keeping this open, but the moment i see any racial slurs or imagery, such as what was posted (and very quickly removed) from the other thread, it gets closed.

There's a line between informal writing and poor writing

Not only did you cross that line, you took a shit and then dragged your ass across it.

If you wrote more than two sentences I'd be suprised. Quit wasting everyone's time. Possibly there's some video games you could be playing?

Preacha, don't get our hopes up by saying that's the last you'll post in a thread and follow it with an anti-climax like posting more :\

Seriously - any further off-topic or inappropriate (as specified by LP and samadhi) replies will be deleted. No this is not censorship, it's ensuring sensitive topics are dealt with respectfully.

Not sure what sort of response you're after - criticism, recommended reading or leads/lines to pursue? If it's supposed to be an essay, you need some claims, credible evidence tied to the claims, and a consideration of the assumptions binding the two together.

If it's a review, where's the critique? Surely there are more credible accounts around. Why shouldn't I read Henry Reynolds instead? Or John Hirst? Or Keith Windschuttle? Or even Robert Hughes? Convince me! :)

As for what's there - the 'noble savage' stuff is a bit hard to swallow. It really doesn't help your cause at all.

Last edited:
sorry i've not read the thread but i must say ive always wanted a didgree doo or what ever its called thanks for rolf harris & neighbers - the UK

Lostpunk - you are right to point out the horrors in our past. Too few of us really know about the extent to which Aboriginal Australians were fucked over by white settlement.

I've not read the book you mention - I'll look out for it. Some other books that talk on the same topic - have you read "The secret river" by Kate Grenville? It was nominated for the Booker last year - and yes - it's fiction, but a compelling account of transportation and a compassionate exploration of why some of these massacres might have taken place. Can't recommend it too highly actually. Also worth reading is "Leviathan" by John Birmingham. It's a history of Sydney that includes some material on treatment of Aboriginal people. Of course the classic read is "My Place" by Sally Morgan - everyone's read that one I hope.. And Tim Flannery's "Future Eaters" is a fantastic read.

Going a bit further afield - I really got something from the works of Jarad Diamond that is relevant to this topic; specifically "The Third Chimpanzee" (about why humans are the only species to practice genocide) and "Guns, germs and steel" (about why white people rule the planet)

I saw this aboriginal guy sniffing paint yesterday, he gave me this really weird look and muttered something about me, it freaked me out

Last edited:
yossarian.lives said:
Not sure what sort of response you're after - criticism, recommended reading or leads/lines to pursue? If it's supposed to be an essay, you need some claims, credible evidence tied to the claims, and a consideration of the assumptions binding the two together.

If it's a review, where's the critique? Surely there are more credible accounts around. Why shouldn't I read Henry Reynolds instead? Or John Hirst? Or Keith Windschuttle? Or even Robert Hughes? Convince me! :)

As for what's there - the 'noble savage' stuff is a bit hard to swallow. It really doesn't help your cause at all.

I won't claim to be well read enough on the subject, and I was not so much reviewing the book as paraphrasing it as I mentioned. It's not supposed to be an essay either, there's no formality or structure.

As I am somewhat more enlightened as to European treatment of indigenous Australians and I find the subject interesting I won't remain this ignorant for long. However you definitely won't find me reading Keith Windschuttle because he is a right wing arsehole who is so busy trying to disprove the reality of Aboriginal massacres that he will use any source to prove his ramblings, no matter the validity of it. Plus he'll throw in a heavy dose of conjecture.

Not that left wing sources are always to be trusted, everyone puts their spin on things. I'll look into the other authors you mentioned. But seeing as you seem to be well informed on the issue how about you add your own personal thoughts, rather than constructive criticisms? I didn't start this thread to further my own position, I want to discuss an issue I find important.

Also your criticism of the noble savage portrayed was the one thing about Elder's book that left me feeling slightly uneasy about his writing. I recently read A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson by Watkin Tench. It's a first hand account of the settlement of Sydney by a European man who was there. In it he suggests that violence towards Aboriginal women by Aboriginal men was quite common. Things like this could easily have been glossed over by Elder and I was somewhat disappointed upon reading it about the pedestal Elder put the Aboriginals upon. I don't know the truth, I wasn't there, but Elder's portrayal of them just seems a bit too clean for my liking.

But the proof is somewhat in the pudding as well I guess. They lasted 60 000 years here, they can't have been constantly warring and beating their women to death for any indiscretion now could they? Add to that things like Corroborees in which neighbouring tribes met to share ideas, culture, and food and whilst you may not have the ideal concept of "noble savage' made popular by Jean Jacques Rousseau, you hardly have animal savages do you?

Anyways let me know your thoughts.
-----------------------------------------------------

ayjay I've not read any of the books you've mentioned. The only fiction I've really read about Aboriginals is The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith by Thomas Keneally. Future Eaters by Flannery is on my to read list due to the recommendation by a TAFE teacher a few years ago. It seems all the more appealing now too with Flannery's outright criticisms of Howard :)

The Birmingham book I'll also get around to as well as I plan to read all of his books at some stage and I'll look into the other books you recommended as well. Cheers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm pretty interested in finding out the specifics of interactions between Europeans and Indigneous Australians on the Central Coast so I'll probably head to the library at some stage soon to see if someone there can help me get started. Should be interesting...

I would recommend reading Heather Goodall's Invasion to embassy. The book is out of print but you can get it at your local library and also Nigel Parburys Survival, this book has aparently been reprinted to include more recent information.
Both great recourses on the topic!!

And it's not justifiable or forgettable in any case.

I've yet to see the racist, meat pie eating, football worshiping, Australian culture ever take a blow, so besides which, you're wrong.

Any population needs to survive. Survival relies on certain things. Land to live on is one of those things.

Civilisations will be dominated by stonger civilisations until the end of time.

lostpunk

what do you propose the dominant white culture should do to repair the damage we've (and by 'we', i mean those terrible nasty white men) caused?

serious question

because, let's be honest, it's one thing to inform people regarding situations that should never have taken place

but reminding them over and over again with nothing to positively contribute, or even rectify the situation? that's like someone fucking an overly obese lady and having their friend say "hey, remember that time you fucked that fat bitch" constantly just to reinforce the guilt.

Last edited:
Truthfully I don't think there is anything that can be done to repair the damage. Let's face facts, history happened, and it can't unhappen.

The only thing I can think of that would help heal the rift is not just expecting Aboriginals to adapt to our culture, but taking on aspects of their culture into ours (I notice I'm still speaking very Them and Us, there's the problem in a nutshell). But I don't think that would ever happen.

The government keeping things behind the scenes and trying to placate the issue by just handing out money doesn't help at all. Rather than just thinking of Aboriginals as a problem that needs to be solved, and acting accordingly, they should be involved in any process that impacts on their future.