• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The Herbalism Thread

I'm merging this with the herbalism thread.

Most plants will indicate to you if they are not good for you, through sight, taste, smell, and touch. There will even be some that are safe to eat but you won't be attracted to because their medicine is not currently needed -- that's how it works in the animal kingdom. Even if you were to make a mistake and sample a toxic one (this can happen with berries), it would just make you vomit or give you diarrhea before it passes on.

Mushrooms are another story... don't mess with them without an expert on hand. They could taste good and kill you, just like they can taste bad and be great for you.

The best time to go foraging is in the spring because all of the flowers are out and they're the best for helping with identification. Autumn can be challenging because many unique characteristics have died back and you really only have the foliage to go on. I guess it could be a good opportunity to become familiar with leaf morphology!

Anyway, enjoy :)

Hello herbalists, herb consumers of bluelight, and Foreigner :)
Great thread I don't know how I missed it.
I feel like I was made to know about this stuff, but that I have just been alienated it from living in a city all my life, and had not been exposed to a lot of good information on herbalism previously. I have been reading The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook, and it has already changed my perspective a lot. Sometimes reading it I feel conflicted between two impulses I have to think critically while at the same time keeping an open mind. Some of the things mentioned in this book first strike me as pretty out there and border line absurd, but still have a lasting feeling of truth.

Reading about herbalism has caused me to notice a few things:
I seem to be naturally attracted to warming herbs. I love garlic, cayenne and other hot peppers, turmeric, and ginger, and have always liked using lots of them in my food. I also believe I fit a lot of the descriptions of a person who would benefit more from warming herbs, ie low normal body temperature, dysthymic. This has led me to believe peppermint is probably not for me, and I also now wonder if this is the reason cannabis has never been the ally for me that I wanted it to be.

I have also been paying attention to the herbs that I feel attracted to. In my garden I have a cayenne pepper plant and a lemon balm plant I bought not because I planned to, but just because I was struck with their beauty at the farm I bought them at. So I consider these herbs special to me now. I have lemon balm hanging to dry and I am planning to see what this does to me as tea.
I have also always felt called to datura (never have and never want to try it as a hallucinogen), but now I am a little concerned over what possible reason there could be for that. Could it be from some wish for self destruction, or does the plant just call to everyone? I have that growing in my garden too, and the way it climbed right up the fence and grew a big white flower perfectly placed to look down at the whole garden really makes it feel like the “grandmother” plant, as I think James Green would describe it. I feel like her energy is a little dark, but is somehow allied with me because I grew her from seed. But it still just sets a tone for my whole garden that I hope is not unhealthy.

I have found going out into the woods and trying to identify plants with that field guide fairly difficult, but luckily one of the herbs I am interested in is extremely easy to recognize: the common dandelion. Tomorrow mourning I plan to get up early and go forage for some of their roots! I hope to some day get someone who knows their stuff to go out identifying with me.

To get to the original question of this thread,

I have actually cut back on mixing herbs due to reading more about them. I was probably overdoing it. I am now trying to cleanse my body primarily by eating much better. I have been retraining my taste buds by just eating a carrot, a stick of celery, or some salad most of the time when I want a snack. It feels great! Especially when I go pick the lettuce from my garden and eat it right after, there really is a feeling of life that comes from it. Other than that I find camomile tea about twice a day seems to have a slight beneficial effect on my anxiety and cravings for alcohol and weed. I plan to try dandelion root tea as a liver and kidney cleansing plant that may be better suited to me than things I have tried in the past, but am currently not taking any herb for this specifically.
I start a new job in a few days that will be both stressful and require me to learn a lot, I am thinking in the future I may try lemon balm and ginko balboa tea to help me, and maybe eventually try both of them together.
Plants have been great to me. When I was a suicidal alcoholic being in my garden was one of the few things that was soothing to me, and which I could never cease to care about like I could everything else. Now herbalism is helping me heal in many ways, not least by giving me something new to learn about, which is very important because my brain was probably severely under exercised as well as physically / chemically damaged to some degree during my long period of alcoholism.
Thank you again Foreigner, you really helped ignite this interest.

Last edited:
Great info Foreigner!

Currently am regularly taking tea of holy basil, which is said to be good for the adrenals. I take a lot of caffeine as it is part of my job, so this really helps actually, after a few days my energy is really weird and I need to take a break. I suppose the Italians had it right with their copious amounts of espressos and pesto. :D

I am also taking garlic and oregano in capsules because I had a drop in my immunity and a urinary issue a few months back and am noticing that I'm picking up the random virus more often than normal, and the weather has been really humid and wet! Also, together with coconut oil, I've been taking Blumea balsamifera as tea for the urinary tract and kidneys.

I do "indulge" in the occasional bitter zedoary or other things I grow, just to keep things exciting. I've been baking various leaves as well to evaluate their taste potential. Coffee, Mutingia, and various zingiber and curcuma species seem to be quite pleasant, with health benefits too. I feel really happy to have access to many tropical plants.

Unless I'm really sick, I try not to overdo it, and I try to rotate the herbs (unless they are culinary, like basil). I sometimes "bomb" myself with a strong bitter, which usually helps me get the crap out. Many herbs also have some toxicity reported, but it should be fine as long as you have a variety and you have no serious organ problems.

i will have some schizandra, ashwagandha with 3% withanolides, brahmi and gotu kola arriving in the mail in the next week

hoping they will help ease my anxiety and stress to manageable levels so that i dont have to go back to intoxicants when things are triggering me

ill report back on their effects, im so excited, i havent read much about bl'ers using schizandra or gotu kola but they seem to be pretty effective for anxiety from other anecdotal information on the web

how well does the lutein work for your eyes? I have found in the past 6 months my eyesight has gotten worse. Would lutein be the best natural source to take for eyesight?

thanks

ill report back on their effects, im so excited, i havent read much about bl'ers using schizandra or gotu kola but they seem to be pretty effective for anxiety from other anecdotal information on the web

I used schisandra for 3 months in the summer time. It's a great herb.... really astringent, and helps your body to conserve resources and vitality. Just don't take it if you get any kind of infection because astringents will hold pathogens in the body.

I've given it to people who suffer from hypersexuality or who are peeing every 10 minutes. It astringes essence (jing) and prevents leakage or waste.

Digging valerien root. For insomnia and to help me adjust to not drinking. I also take fish oil for bipolar. It helps a bit. Better than not taking it I think.

Here's some information on Rhodiolas.

Chapter 13

Adaptability and Protection

In working to preserve a healthy state for individuals, Taoist medicine offers two additional components that work in concert with the Three Treasures. They are Adaptability and Protection.

Adaptability

Adaptability is a sought after state of being, a major component of what the Chinese call “health beyond danger” (and what I am referring to in this book as a state of being that is above the Threshold). The great Canadian endocrinologist Hans Seyle M.D., one of the world’s prominent researchers on stress, stated that adaptability is the human race’s most important attribute. He says, “Adaptability is probably the most distinctive characteristic of life. In maintaining the independence and individuality of natural units, none of the great forces of inanimate matter are as successful as that alertness and adaptability to change which we designate as life, and the loss of which is death. Indeed, there is perhaps a parallelism between the degree of aliveness and the extent of adaptability in every animal, in every man.”[71]

After all, one can find humans living in all regions of the planet, and no matter how hostile the conditions, those inhabitants have adapted to them. Supporting our adaptability is also one of the great assets of the Tonic herbs.

There are a handful of herbs found throughout the world that contain properties referred to as adaptogenic. The recent term "adaptogen" was applied by Soviet scientist N.V. Lazarev in 1947 to describe the metabolic balancing properties of the Siberian herbs Rhodiola Rosea (Arctic Root) and Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus Senticosis). After determining the unique and complex properties of these plants, he and his student, I.I. Brechman, used this term to define a new class of herbs that had a normalizing affect on bodily functions. In Lazarov's words, an adaptogen “must be innocuous and cause minimal side affects in the physiological functions of an organism, it must have a non-specific action of immune enhancement, and have a normalizing action on various bodily functions, irrespective of the direction of the pathological state."[79]

The Soviet government was looking for substances that could help keep soldiers from freezing while on the battlefield. They conducted tests on Rhodiola Rosea's adaptogenic properties, but in order to utilize this herb in warfare, their research was kept quiet until the fall of the Soviet Union. Rhodiola Rosea, as Lazarov named it, was found to have a beneficial effect on the nervous system and adrenals. The plant has a regulating effect on the body’s thermostat. The herb was found to help cool overheated elements in the body and warm or stimulate cold, sluggish metabolic or anabolic functions. Thus, the scientists created a name for the herb's regulatory actions, terming it an “adaptogen.”

In the Himalayas, a related species, Rhodiola Sacra was found and studied by the Chinese. According to their results, Rhodiola Sacra proved more potent as an adaptogen than the Russian Rhodiola Rosea. Rhodiola Sacra, and a close cousin from the high mountains of southwestern China, Rhodiola Crenulata, are now used extensively in Chinese medicine. Sacra is very difficult to obtain, and I feel it is better left to the highlanders of Tibet, as it aids in the absorption of oxygen in those high altitudes. *Contraindications; Rhodiola is very safe.

Adaptogens can have a regulating action on the central nervous system, which oversees both the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous functions, helping to ensure their healthy interaction. Rhodiola in particular is said to nourish the pituitary gland, the master gland in the endocrine system, which governs the central nervous system. Adaptogenic herbs would fortify Jing and Chi and may also help one cultivate Shen.

What distinguishes an adaptogen is having two sets of RNA in its cells, which tend to infuse the plant with its own Yin/Yang balance. When we consume these plants, they also help our bodies maintain a better balance of hot and cold and of Yang and Yin. They are thus able to stimulate the body when it requires stimulation, but can also calm the body when excited. They can regulate body temperature, cooling it when overexerted, and stimulating it when lethargic. In this way. adaptogenic herbs are viewed as having a dual-directional affect on body energies.

71. Morishige, Fukumi, 1987. Chinese Traditional Medicine Part III, Page 12-23, ISBN4-88580-053-6 C-0077
79. Carl Germano and Zakir Ramazanov, Arctic Root (Toronto: Kensington, 2000)

Source:

EBWEUM2.gif
Pages 199-201

[deleted cuz of OCR type-os]

Last edited:
I've tried Ashwaganda but didn't have any noticeable effects. That's all I've ever tried on it's own really.

I take a lot of supplements and I've sometimes taken fatburners or other pills that had multiple herbs in them but it's impossible for me to tell you which herb caused which effect.

I've tried Ashwaganda but didn't have any noticeable effects. That's all I've ever tried on it's own really.

I take a lot of supplements and I've sometimes taken fatburners or other pills that had multiple herbs in them but it's impossible for me to tell you which herb caused which effect.

If that's the case then why keep adding supplements? The whole point is to know if they're doing something, right?

What would happen if you stopped taking all supplements for a while just to see where your body is at?

i will have some schizandra, ashwagandha with 3% withanolides, brahmi and gotu kola arriving in the mail in the next week

hoping they will help ease my anxiety and stress to manageable levels so that i dont have to go back to intoxicants when things are triggering me

How'd that go for you?

I tried Bacopa for anxiety and insomnia, it actually worked pretty well! The dosages for those specific indications are higher than the typical dosage recommended on the typical bottle of, however.

I recently started taking curry in gelcaps. My curry contains the following herbs: Cardamon, Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Cumin, Fennel, Fenugreek, Ginger, Nutmeg, Turmeric and black pepper.

Thank you Foreigner and others for all the info (especially those books).

I'm currently seeing an acupuncturist for nausea/pain and he gave me a custom herbal mixture to make tea with, plus I also take a probiotic that contains tumeric and other herbs. I sometimes use peppermint essential oil to calm my stomach as well (PG or glycerin based, I forget--not alcohol).

I currently have some vegetables simmering the crock pot too to make vegetable broth, as recommended by the acupuncturist (kale, brussel sprouts, dandelion greens, ginger, tumeric, and garlic).

The way to really understand how and feel the way an herb affects you is by fasting or eating really lightly and simply and taking a lot of the herb, by itself, without any other herbs or medications along with it.

Maca is mind-blowing and has changed my life and vitality for the better.

Not sure if Shilajit is an herb, but ditto that.

^ I haven't worked a lot with gotu kola and gingko. When you take it, do you wake up the next morning feeling tired or foggy? Some 'brain tonic' formulas behave somewhat like stimulants. If they're well balanced then they will actually be regenerating and not merely a pick-me-up.

Foreigner- Love the band and the thread : D I really appreciate you!

Maya- I had a problem until I tried rhodiola in whole herb/powder form or the 3% Rosavins 1%1 Salidrosides capsules.

I used to take a tablespoon of coconut oil daily, but ran out recently. It's nice to see how it is without out; I need it!
I'm gonna start maca again for the iodine/other vits. and mins., and the energetic and aphrodisiac qualities.
Oregano oil with high Carvracrol for it's powerful antibacterial (e.g. Escherichia coli and Bacillus cereus. and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, no good bacteria apparently.)

Foreigner what do you think about Ashwagandha and Crohns? It's been a part of my life for a long time, with plenty o breaks, and I stopped it several months ago due to suspicions it wasn't good for me anymore. Ditto with spirulina, but think it's more beneficial then damaging. It's from a highly respected source who analyze for metals and radiation, among other things.

Last edited: