💥 Contest 💥 The Greatest Classic Rock Artist Round 1

I feel like I kind of lost the point after all.
Well, it's fun anyway

how much light hearted-er than music do you want to go?
I like the idea of having to think about and defend your position or opinion.
Like funniest movie scene, or something like that. Funniest media screw up. Worst fail by some one famous. I like the idea of thinking and defending, light hearted stuff.

The reason I bitched was because you had a rap beef thread, and then the classic rock one? Besides people take things too seriously, that aren't really serious. Actually I found it amusing because you showed Johnny Cash but didn't include him?
The reason I bitched was because you had a rap beef thread, and then the classic rock one? Besides people take things too seriously, that aren't really serious. Actually I found it amusing because you showed Johnny Cash but didn't include him?
Because flipping off the camera is very "rock n roll" but Johnny Cash himself is not a "classic rock" artist.

Elvis? Johnny Cash? Bob Dylan? How often do you hear these artists on classic rock radio?

I rest my case.

Crosby stills and Nash? These are like folk artists come on guys. This is classic rock, not, every type of rock that played in the 70s.

The Rolling Stones

The Cars

Steely Dan

Pat Benatar

The Doors

Pink Floyd

ELO

Genesis

Led Zeppelin

Van Morrison

Yes

ZZ Top

Heart

Santana

Steve Miller Band

The Who

The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Fleetwood Mac

The Allman Brothers

David Bowie

Tom Petty

38 Special

Queen

Boston

The Police

The Pretenders

Styx

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Journey

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Foreigner

Instead of a week, I am going to close the first round at midnight EST tomorrow night. So get your picks in!

Instead of a week, I am going to close the first round at midnight EST tomorrow night. So get your picks in!
i feel like you should maybe let this go a little longer like a week maybe incase someone just isn't in the mood, but maybe this is the type of thing not everyone can get into... remembering the what posters didn't like thread, i want to see some more posters from that and then go back to that thread and see what people like and didn't like. lol. i don't want to force people to do these though, but maybe people mostly just want to talk about drugs on this site and then post what they are listening to every now and then.

with how mal3volent was describing having to pick priorities and how i was thinking about how i felt at different points in my life i started doing 90's hard rock radio with like metal, grunge/alternative in my head, and thought "slipknot v.s. white zombie" would be a good one because they are both different emotions but they were both on the harder end of what was on. that would cast out one of the harder metal acts that probably wouldn't win in the first round... i honestly couldn't decide rob zombie is a lot of fun and got that kick ass pride thing going on a lot of rock doesn't have, and then slipknot is like emotionally fucked up type stuff where you kind of feel down and not really pride. i can get into both... i was trying to do some other ones and there were a ton of ties... it ended up being me trying to figure out how Bush who i only really love 4 of their radio hits wins the whole thing. like i was thinking smashing pumkins could win for me cause they have such a wide varied catalogue. like i can think of a ton of smashing songs i like and was thinking "bodies" by pumkins could hit as hard emotionally as "glysterine", but i really don't know. i felt with the slide guitar on "everything's zen" that's like the equivilent to a bunch of good smashing pumkins or nirvana songs. like i was thinking "how is nirvana not number one with how i love 'endless nameless and the acoustic album is perfect", but i dunno. still kind of felt bush after like an hour about thinking about this.. i don''t want to reveal too many of the choices i was going through cause i'm curious if you guys want to do this.

mal3volent and mysterier have a lot of stuff in the emo screamo and shoegaze that i don't think is the most popular from those scenes, but they are pretty good stuff for people to go through if they are bored. a lot of the posters probably aren't familiar with the genres. you guys could do a survey of those underground genres and then i could give a review about how that compares to what a lot of people were into in the early 2000's and what's popular on reddit. a lot of the same stuff that scenesters were listening to in early 2000's and late 90's is still going pretty strong on the reddit community today. i dunno. i'd definitely do you guys choices with out giving my opinion on what they should be and then give my other emo favorites when it's over if you guys missed any... anways. had some fun with this, but don't want to pressure anyone to have to think about these and then count them up. but since you guys thought of it, it's pretty fun.

also realizing how i answered some of the classic rock stuff might be confusing, so i'll have to reeddit my picks. like i was saying "when i was a kid, i'd pick this, but as an adult i choose this" doesn't really let you know what i chose, so i'll go back and edit that for whenever you do choose to tally this up. but doesn't seem like enough votes to me like this kind of failed. i guess not total failure cause a few posters had fun with it.

i feel like you should maybe let this go a little longer like a week maybe incase someone just isn't in the mood, but maybe this is the type of thing not everyone can get into.

the thought process behind this was, the matchups this first round aren't very competitive . All of us are choosing the same 75% of the time it seems. The next round when the bands are more narrowed down might be much more thought provoking. And have higher variance.

i feel like you should maybe let this go a little longer like a week maybe incase someone just isn't in the mood, but maybe this is the type of thing not everyone can get into... remembering the what posters didn't like thread, i want to see some more posters from that and then go back to that thread and see what people like and didn't like. lol. i don't want to force people to do these though, but maybe people mostly just want to talk about drugs on this site and then post what they are listening to every now and then.

with how mal3volent was describing having to pick priorities and how i was thinking about how i felt at different points in my life i started doing 90's hard rock radio with like metal, grunge/alternative in my head, and thought "slipknot v.s. white zombie" would be a good one because they are both different emotions but they were both on the harder end of what was on. that would cast out one of the harder metal acts that probably wouldn't win in the first round... i honestly couldn't decide rob zombie is a lot of fun and got that kick ass pride thing going on a lot of rock doesn't have, and then slipknot is like emotionally fucked up type stuff where you kind of feel down and not really pride. i can get into both... i was trying to do some other ones and there were a ton of ties... it ended up being me trying to figure out how Bush who i only really love 4 of their radio hits wins the whole thing. like i was thinking smashing pumkins could win for me cause they have such a wide varied catalogue. like i can think of a ton of smashing songs i like and was thinking "bodies" by pumkins could hit as hard emotionally as "glysterine", but i really don't know. i felt with the slide guitar on "everything's zen" that's like the equivilent to a bunch of good smashing pumkins or nirvana songs. like i was thinking "how is nirvana not number one with how i love 'endless nameless and the acoustic album is perfect", but i dunno. still kind of felt bush after like an hour about thinking about this.. i don''t want to reveal too many of the choices i was going through cause i'm curious if you guys want to do this.

mal3volent and mysterier have a lot of stuff in the emo screamo and shoegaze that i don't think is the most popular from those scenes, but they are pretty good stuff for people to go through if they are bored. a lot of the posters probably aren't familiar with the genres. you guys could do a survey of those underground genres and then i could give a review about how that compares to what a lot of people were into in the early 2000's and what's popular on reddit. a lot of the same stuff that scenesters were listening to in early 2000's and late 90's is still going pretty strong on the reddit community today. i dunno. i'd definitely do you guys choices with out giving my opinion on what they should be and then give my other emo favorites when it's over if you guys missed any... anways. had some fun with this, but don't want to pressure anyone to have to think about these and then count them up. but since you guys thought of it, it's pretty fun.

also realizing how i answered some of the classic rock stuff might be confusing, so i'll have to reeddit my picks. like i was saying "when i was a kid, i'd pick this, but as an adult i choose this" doesn't really let you know what i chose, so i'll go back and edit that for whenever you do choose to tally this up. but doesn't seem like enough votes to me like this kind of failed. i guess not total failure cause a few posters had fun with it.
Right on man, well I'm definitely open towards keeping it open a little bit longer if that's what people are thinking. I kinda left the door open to basically be flexible with it, as it's a first time thing so we're gonna just figure it out as we go. And remember, it is 5 rounds, so even if I tallied it up tomorrow, there will definitely still be a fair amount of time before it's all said and done. And I think the more people notice it, well even if they hadn't voted since the beginning... They could still come in and vote at any time in any round. I was thinking a week was maybe too long, but it could be that just a couple days is too short.

It sounds like this is something you would have good ideas for in the future!

I will cast my vote tomorrow, even if I still haven't listened to some of the bands I don't know (or think I don't know). But that alone should be an indicator, maybe.

Easy.

The Rolling Stones
The Cars
Steely Dan
Pat Benatar
The Doors
Pink Floyd
ELO
Genesis
Led Zeppelin
Van Morrison
Yes
Rod Stewart
Rush
Santana
Steve Miller Band
The Who
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
The Allman Brothers
David Bowie
Elton John
Alice Cooper
Queen
Wings
Jethro Tull
Kansas
Styx
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Journey
Thin Lizzy
Foreigner

The Rolling Stones v. REO Speedwagon

The Cars v. Supertramp

Steely Dan v. Bruce Springsteen

The Eagles v. Pat Benatar

The Doors
v. Steppenwolf

Pink Floyd v. CCR

ELO v. Peter Frampton

Aerosmith v. Genesis

Led Zeppelin v. Moody Blues

Jimmy Buffett v. Van Morrison

BTO v. Yes

ZZ Top v. Rod Stewart

Heart v. Rush

The Doobie Brothers
v. Santana

Steve Miller Band v. George Thorogood

The Who v. Eric Clapton

The Beatles v. Eddie Money

AC/DC v. Jimi Hendrix

Fleetwood Mac v. Billy Joel

The Allman Brothers v. Bob Seger

David Bowie v. Loverboy

Elton John v. Tom Petty

38 Special v. Alice Cooper

Queen
v. John Mellencamp

Boston v. Wings

The Police v. Jethro Tull

Kansas v. The Pretenders

Styx v. Ted Nugent

KISS v. Stevie Ray Vaughn

Van Halen v. Journey

Lynyrd Skynyrd v. Thin Lizzy

Foreigner v. Grand Funk Railroad

* BOLD > my choice
* strike > the one I don't know (other than maybe by name)
* The ones that are in normal font are the one I know and have listened to, but don't like as much as the competitor.

One exception: The Beatles, which of course I know and have listened to, but which I don't like at all (so no points for them)

Markdown would be 😎, especially when using mobile devices.

Happy to answer any questions.