💥 Contest 💥 The Greatest Classic Rock Artist Round 1

deficiT

Sr. Moderator: NSADD, DC, & TDS
Staff member
We are starting a tournament to decide once and for all.. who the greatest classic rock artist is

^^ mfw
**WARNING Johnny Cash not in the classic rock tournament because he's a country artist**

The rules are simple. We have a 5 round elimination style bracket built out, and I'm going to write each matchup down in the original posts for each round. To place a vote, simply copy/paste the matchups in a comment, and you can either highlight/bold the artist you think is better, or erase one and leave up the one you want to win. We're doing this old school, very similar to the NFL pick em tournament for those that play that.

If it was me versus mal, your vote would look like this:

deficiT v. mal3volent

or simply:

deficiT

Because we all know I've got the tasty licks to be in this contest, but the music industry simply isn't ready for me yet :violin:

We will leave voting up for each round for a week, and then will tally up everyone's votes to determine the winner of a matchup. In the event of a tie, we'll do a sudden death round just for those matchups, which will be up for a day. This tournament will decide the ultimate classic rock artist once and for all, and fans of that artist will have total bragging rights from here on out. We reserve the right to make whatever changes we need to make to resolve any issues that come up during the tournament.

Let's Rock!!!

Round One:

The Rolling Stones v. REO Speedwagon

The Cars v. Supertramp

Steely Dan v. Bruce Springsteen

The Eagles v. Pat Benatar

The Doors v. Steppenwolf

Pink Floyd v. CCR

ELO v. Peter Frampton

Aerosmith v. Genesis

Led Zeppelin v. Moody Blues

Jimmy Buffett v. Van Morrison

BTO v. Yes

ZZ Top v. Rod Stewart

Heart v. Rush

The Doobie Brothers v. Santana

Steve Miller Band v. George Thorogood

The Who v. Eric Clapton

The Beatles v. Eddie Money

AC/DC v. Jimi Hendrix

Fleetwood Mac v. Billy Joel

The Allman Brothers v. Bob Seger

David Bowie v. Loverboy

Elton John v. Tom Petty

38 Special v. Alice Cooper

Queen v. John Mellencamp

Boston v. Wings

The Police v. Jethro Tull

Kansas v. The Pretenders

Styx v. Ted Nugent

KISS v. Stevie Ray Vaughn

Van Halen v. Journey

Lynyrd Skynyrd v. Thin Lizzy

Foreigner v. Grand Funk Railroad

Last edited:
i always thought it was "the beatles v.s. the kinks", but maybe this is something different. i had to you tube eddie money cause i forgot who he was, but i love "take me home tonight." prob more emotional good feel to me than a lot of beatles stuff... beatles have a kind of weird creepy sound to me that i like, but i take stuff out of context.... "cracker box palace" by george harrison is a song that i totally take out of context, sounds evil to me. lol. one of my favs. thought it might've been about salvia and not george harrison's mansion which i later found out. lol

i feel like grateful dead v.s. janis jopelin would be a hard one for people to pick... i actually am unfamiliar and will have to google some of these artists. the reason why i probably don't know them off the top of my head is cause i heard them and they aren't favorites. but i totally dig eddie money and didn't know he was the one that did "take me home tonight".

neil young is a personal favorite of mine regarding classic rock. click like 2.15 into this video and watch neil react like a child to how rockin' this version's of like a hurricane's keyboard is.. neil knows he's the king of rock and roll.

Some of these were SO much easier than others. I hated losing Mellencamp and Tom Petty but I had no choice.

The Rolling Stones
The Cars
Bruce Springsteen
Pat Benatar
The Doors
CCR
Peter Frampton
Genesis
Led Zeppelin
Van Morrison
Yes
Rod Stewart
Rush
Santana
Steve Miller Band
The Who
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
The Allman Brothers
David Bowie
Elton John
Alice Cooper
Queen
Boston
Jethro Tull
The Pretenders
Styx
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Journey
Thin Lizzy
Foreigner

nice idea @mal3volent - thanks for organizing.

neil knows he's the king of rock and roll

for sure. i saw him live - with crazy horse - in boston in 1994 and again last year up here in tahoe. 30 years on and he's still rocking.

The Rolling Stones
The Cars
Bruce Springsteen
Pat Benatar
The Doors
Pink Floyd
ELO
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin
Van Morrison
BTO
ZZ Top
Heart
The Doobie Brothers
George Thorogood
The Who
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
The Allman Brothers
David Bowie
Elton John
Alice Cooper
Queen
Wings
The Police
The Pretenders
Styx
KISS
Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
Foreigner

a couple of those were pretty hard.

alasdair

cant take credit for this one @alasdairm , it was deficits idea
i mentioned to him maybe we could do other genres after this

i always thought it was "the beatles v.s. the kinks", but maybe this is something different. i had to you tube eddie money cause i forgot who he was, but i love "take me home tonight." prob more emotional good feel to me than a lot of beatles stuff... beatles have a kind of weird creepy sound to me that i like, but i take stuff out of context.... "cracker box palace" by george harrison is a song that i totally take out of context, sounds evil to me. lol. one of my favs. thought it might've been about salvia and not george harrison's mansion which i later found out. lol

i feel like grateful dead v.s. janis jopelin would be a hard one for people to pick... i actually am unfamiliar and will have to google some of these artists. the reason why i probably don't know them off the top of my head is cause i heard them and they aren't favorites. but i totally dig eddie money and didn't know he was the one that did "take me home tonight".

neil young is a personal favorite of mine regarding classic rock. click like 2.15 into this video and watch neil react like a child to how rockin' this version's of like a hurricane's keyboard is.. neil knows he's the king of rock and roll.

Yeah I love Neil Young! Definitely come back to it once you've explored the artists and throw a vote in!

Inevitably there will be artists that should be on there, that aren't, it's definitely not a perfect list.

Some of these were SO much easier than others. I hated losing Mellencamp and Tom Petty but I had no choice.

The Rolling Stones
The Cars
Bruce Springsteen
Pat Benatar
The Doors
CCR
Peter Frampton
Genesis
Led Zeppelin
Van Morrison
Yes
Rod Stewart
Rush
Santana
Steve Miller Band
The Who
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
The Allman Brothers
David Bowie
Elton John
Alice Cooper
Queen
Boston
Jethro Tull
The Pretenders
Styx
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Journey
Thin Lizzy
Foreigner
Yeah Tom Petty and Elton John is a ridiculously hard pick for me.

Thanks @deficiT for giving me something to sweeten a probably boring day
Sweet, definitely come back to it! I have to think about it and put my final vote in too.

The Rolling Stones
Supertramp
Bruce Springsteen
The Eagles
The Doors
Pink Floyd
Peter Frampton
Aerosmith
Led Zeppelin
Van Morrison
BTO
ZZ Top
Rush
Santana
George Thorogood not fare
The Who
The Beatles
AC/DC v. Jimi Hendrix not fare u dick:toilet:
Billy Joel
The Allman Brothers
David Bowie
Elton John
Alice Cooper
John Mellencamp
Boston
The Police
The Pretenders
Styx
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Van Halen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Foreigner

Last edited:
100% Rolling Stones

The Cars v. Supertramp
not familiar with a lot of SuperTramp, definitely recognize it, don't hate it, but going with The Cars pretty hard

I'm a big fan of the bit depressing nostolgic feel of some Bruce Springsteen... Steely Dan is kind of the opposite. it's some of the only music that i like where i actually say it's making me feel up beat and not like weirdo emo depression that i normally vibe with. BRUCE WINS!!!!

100% Pat Benatar

The Doors v. Steppenwolf
Eh.. Steppen Wolf another feel good one from my early use cause of parents listening, but have to go with the The Doors. tough

Pink Floyd v. CCR
ehh... CCR has more emotional appeal to me, but i like Pink Floyd a lot... CCR WINS!!!!!

ELO v. Peter Frampton
Going pretty strong that ELO is better... maybe i should listen to their whole careers, but i dunno.. Evil Women is a really good song. ELO WINS!!!!

Aerosmith v. Genesis
the only one i'm feeling might be a tie... Aereosmith kind of for the nostolgia to me, but i could go either way.

Moody Blues is a little boring to me although nothing wrong with it... Have to go with Zeppelin

Van Morrison. i feel pretty strong about this pick between the two.

BTO v. Yes
not a BTO fan at all... Gonna definitely go with Yes.. i would've thought a hard choice would be Yes or Rush in which i would be a Rush guy... some of these seem like they are gonna be obviously one or the other vibes.

ZZ Top v. Rod Stewart
sometimes i can feel nostalgic about Rod Stewart, but mostly neither

Heart v. Rush
Rush always sounded weird to me as a child, and Heart definitely was something i vibed with... i'm gonna go with Rush though as an adult.. something about "Subdivisions" the fucks with my head with an adult, and that's hitting a lot closer to home lately. RUSH WINS!!!!!

neither are real favorites although i feel nostalgic about both. don't really feel strongly either way

feel more nostalgic about Steve Miller, will go with that but don't feel too strongly about the pick

The Who v. Eric Clapton
ehh.. can't pick, esspecially if you count Cream, but i can get into stuff like "layla" a lot too

i don't know. i feel pretty strongly about the song "take me home" but the Beatles and everything else their members did is probably something greater... EH... I'm picking Eddie Money just because of "take me home tonight"

AC/DC v. Jimi Hendrix
AC/DC doesn't really come across as serious music to me just like party down rock and roll, and Jimi Hendrix wrote "the wind cries mary", so there is no contest here. JIMMY WINS

can't decide

Allman Brothers is fun stuff, but "turn the page" can't really be messed with between the two

David Bowie v. Loverboy
100% David Bowie

Elton John v. Tom Petty
as an Adult Elton John... "free falling" hit pretty hard for years... ELTON WINS!!!!!

38 Special v. Alice Cooper.
"hold on loosley" is a pretty good song... went through a few on you tube that didn't really get me... never really took Alice Cooper too seriously.. had to check a few you tube videos, and no. so pretty stong 38 Special between the two, but not really a favorite

Queen v. John Mellencamp
John Mellancamp

Boston v. Wings
good one... Going pretty strong with Wings

definitely the Police although Jethro tull is alright

Kansas v. The Pretenders
going strong with the Pretenders

Styx v. Ted Nugent
neither really

Stevie Ray Vaughn pretty hard

Van Halen v. Journey
Van Halen close to 100%

tie. don't love either, but still good stuff.

neither

Last edited:
i hope voting neither or a tie doesn't mess up your votes if you are trying to count a specific way, but i just can't get into some of this stuff, and when you confront me with some of the choices, i just have to write a brief review to describe why.... i can't decide between some of this stuff either. no big deal if you can't use my votes.

Well, some of these I might feel differently about tomorrow, depending on whether or not I happen to hear their song in the elevator or shopping at the grocery store between now and then, but here goes:
Rolling Stones
The Cars
Steely Dan (sorry Bruce, I respect you as a human being but never cared for your music)
The Eagles
The Doors (but goddamn that Pusherman!)
Pink Floyd (but I love CCR)
ELO
Aerosmith
Led Zep
Van Morrison
Yes
ZZ Top
Rush
Santana
Steve Miller
Eric Clapton...I guess?
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac (can't ever forget the kick ass hard blues rock of the Peter Green era and them doing the original version of Black Magic Woman, plus their crazy great duo of female singers in their later incarnation)
Allman Bros
David Bowie
Tom Petty (that's one I could change my mind on, Elton is legendary)
Alice Cooper
Queen
Wings (meh)
Jethro Tull (that's close)
The Pretenders
Styx (how did Ted Nugent even make this list?)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Van Halen
Lynyrd Skynrd (Skynrd was big in my neck of the woods growing up, but I do like Thin Lizzy for Whiskey in the Jar)
Grand Funk Railroad (Foreigner had some ok songs but I really dislike the singers voice)

i hope voting neither or a tie doesn't mess up your votes if you are trying to count a specific way, but i just can't get into some of this stuff, and when you confront me with some of the choices, i just have to write a brief review to describe why.... i can't decide between some of this stuff either. no big deal if you can't use my votes.
Since these are head to head matches in a tournament fashion, for the ones that are tied/neither, it doesn't really matter if I give them both a point or neither, the result is the same. So other than giving me some extra reading material I think you're good.

Though be aware that when I go back through and count these, if your blurb is unclear or I'm not sure what you meant, I'm not gonna be hunting you down to clarify, I will just tally it as a tie/neither.

Last edited:
Since these are head to head matches in a tournament fashion, for the ones that are tied/neither, it doesn't really matter if I give them both a point or neither, the result is the same. So other than giving me some extra reading material I think you're good.

Though be aware that when I go back through and county these, if your blurb is unclear or I'm not sure what you meant, I'm not gonna be hunting you down to clarify, I will just tally it as a tie/neither.
oh cool. i didn't want people to start voting ties or neither if you wanted a one or the other survey... if i rememeber i was clear about most of them other than maybe i want to pick Eddie Money over the Beatles. not sure if i was clear about that.. have to have love for the Beatles, but "take me home tonight can hit pretty hard, so i'll pick Eddie Money on that on.

oh cool. i didn't want people to start voting ties or neither if you wanted a one or the other survey... if i rememeber i was clear about most of them other than maybe i want to pick Eddie Money over the Beatles. not sure if i was clear about that.. have to have love for the Beatles, but "take me home tonight can hit pretty hard, so i'll pick Eddie Money on that on.
Yeah, I don't really mind, I actually dig the enthusiasm for it. The only issue with not just a clear one or the other chosen how I presented it, is that if everyone does that it would make tallying the votes much more difficult. But yeah you can always scroll back and look at your comments and edit your post if any of them aren't clear, I'm not gonna tally votes for another few days.

this is taking me longer than i thought. half I don't even know exist.
but you'll get my vote. always like to try (hear) new things.

We are starting a tournament to decide once and for all.. who the greatest classic rock artist is

Tell 'em Johnny!

The rules are simple. We have a 5 round elimination style bracket built out, and I'm going to write each matchup down in the original posts for each round. To place a vote, simply copy/paste the matchups in a comment, and you can either highlight/bold the artist you think is better, or erase one and leave up the one you want to win. We're doing this old school, very similar to the NFL pick em tournament for those that play that.

If it was me versus mal, your vote would look like this:

deficiT v. mal3volent

or simply:

deficiT

Because we all know I've got the tasty licks to be in this contest, but the music industry simply isn't ready for me yet :violin:

We will leave voting up for each round for a week, and then will tally up everyone's votes to determine the winner of a matchup. In the event of a tie, we'll do a sudden death round just for those matchups, which will be up for a day. This tournament will decide the ultimate classic rock artist once and for all, and fans of that artist will have total bragging rights from here on out. We reserve the right to make whatever changes we need to make to resolve any issues that come up during the tournament.

Let's Rock!!!

Round One:

The Cars v. Supertramp

The Doors v. Steppenwolf

Pink Floyd v. CCR

ELO v. Peter Frampton

Aerosmith v. Genesis

BTO v. Yes

ZZ Top v. Rod Stewart

Heart v. Rush

The Who v. Eric Clapton

AC/DC v. Jimi Hendrix

David Bowie v. Loverboy

Elton John v. Tom Petty

38 Special v. Alice Cooper

Queen v. John Mellencamp

Boston v. Wings

Kansas v. The Pretenders

Styx v. Ted Nugent

Van Halen v. Journey

Some of these comparisons aren't even close, seriously The Rolling Stones vs Reo Speed wagon, led Zeppelin vs The Moody Blues, I could go on but why don't you have someone who knows classic rock make the choices harder. Allman bros vs Bob Seger. Bob Seger rules! Loverboy ain't even good enough to be 80's corporate suck rock. Rod Stewart made disco music. No offense but you both have a bizarre list of great bands and shit. Where is Guns n Roses? They formed almost 40 years ago? Where the hell is Black Sabbath?
Steely Dan but no Janis Joplin? Supertramp? Where is Chuck Berry?
Steely Dan is named after a dildo in the book, Naked Lunch
Yea where is Johnny Cash?

Last edited:
Some of these comparisons aren't even close, seriously The Rolling Stones vs Reo Speed wagon, led Zeppelin vs The Moody Blues, I could go on but why don't you have someone who knows classic rock make the choices harder. Allman bros vs Bob Seger. Bob Seger rules! Loverboy and even good enough to be 80's corporate suck rock. Rod Stewart made disco music. No offense but you both have a bizarre list of great bands and shit. Where is Guns n Roses? They formed almost 40 years ago? Where the hell is Black Sabbath?
Steely Dan but no Janis Joplin
there seems to be a strategy behind this. Can't you see it?
Part of the challenge.

Well, old things actually
but I do know one half :)

Well, some of these I might feel differently about tomorrow, depending on whether or not I happen to hear their song in the elevator or shopping at the grocery store between now and then, but here goes:
Rolling Stones
The Cars
Steely Dan (sorry Bruce, I respect you as a human being but never cared for your music)
The Eagles
The Doors (but goddamn that Pusherman!)
Pink Floyd (but I love CCR)
ELO
Aerosmith
Led Zep
Van Morrison
Yes
ZZ Top
Rush
Santana
Steve Miller
Eric Clapton...I guess?
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac (can't ever forget the kick ass hard blues rock of the Peter Green era and them doing the original version of Black Magic Woman, plus their crazy great duo of female singers in their later incarnation)
Allman Bros
David Bowie
Tom Petty (that's one I could change my mind on, Elton is legendary)
Alice Cooper
Queen
Wings (meh)
Jethro Tull (that's close)
The Pretenders
Styx (how did Ted Nugent even make this list?)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Van Halen
Lynyrd Skynrd (Skynrd was big in my neck of the woods growing up, but I do like Thin Lizzy for Whiskey in the Jar)
Grand Funk Railroad (Foreigner had some ok songs but I really dislike the singers voice)
Stranglehold, Wang dang sweet Poontang, Cat Scratch Fever.
Elo but no Black Sabbath. I love Bruce Springsteen's music but don't respect him as a life form.